#1 DaZur

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 7,511 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 02 February 2022 - 07:46 AM

Little background...

I have essentially entry-level experience in game design and have provided both free and contracted 3-D asset development and physic modeling for a couple of flight simulations.

That as a preface, in particular my deep appreciation of simulation-level games, I've been putzing with a couple game development platforms and believe I could produce a simulation level game that would cater to mech-combat nerds (like me) that would lean into some pseudo-simulation aspects while still being "fun"...

Obviously, this is something I'd be doing for my own edification, don't have deep pockets and have no intentions of dabbling in any IPs so it'd a generic clone of sorts...

My caveat is, would any one actually play it or for that matter be interested in it?

Thoughts?

#2 pbiggz

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,684 posts
  • LocationOutreach

Posted 02 February 2022 - 08:14 AM

Mech is a niche genre. People who like it, like it.

That said, are you prepared to make a game? It's an undertaking a lot of people severely underestimate and I say that from experience.

#3 ScrapIron Prime

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,825 posts
  • LocationSmack dab in the middle of Ohio

Posted 02 February 2022 - 08:48 AM

depends on what you're simulating and whether its a novel experience over any of the other mech games out there today (inlcuding MWO, MW5, and Battletech). What would you be striving to achieve?

#4 DaZur

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 7,511 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 02 February 2022 - 08:50 AM

View Postpbiggz, on 02 February 2022 - 08:14 AM, said:

That said, are you prepared to make a game? It's an undertaking a lot of people severely underestimate and I say that from experience.

I've seen and done enough to know it's not for the faint of heart or personal time availability... I'm currently home convalescing from a work-related leg injury so I have a wealth of time and you've been around long enough to know I'm a glutton for punishment. Posted Image

I definitely know "mech stuff" is niche... As is any form of "simulation" for younger generation, so I realize this is kind'a a double-niche advanture.

That's why I'm throwing out feelers just to see if there would be ANY community interest in something like this or would I just continue putzing for my own personal edification. Posted Image

#5 DaZur

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 7,511 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 02 February 2022 - 08:58 AM

View PostScrapIron Prime, on 02 February 2022 - 08:48 AM, said:

depends on what you're simulating and whether its a novel experience over any of the other mech games out there today (inlcuding MWO, MW5, and Battletech). What would you be striving to achieve?

I'd like to specifically lean into adding physics based mechanics to include but not limited to: weapon/incoming damage recoil, armor ablation/limb removal and impact on balance/stability, Various modes of ambulation (Bipedal versus quad versus tracked etc..), reticle stability/weapon accuracy based on speed and terrain... etc.

In short invoke thought and consideration and tactical application and response. Something a little deeper than our present run-and-gun...

Edited by DaZur, 02 February 2022 - 09:00 AM.

#6 Novakaine

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 5,703 posts
  • LocationThe Republic of Texas

Posted 02 February 2022 - 09:07 AM

I'd pay money for a remake of this old classic.
Posted Image

#7 YueFei

• 2,184 posts

Posted 02 February 2022 - 09:50 AM

I mean, Mechwarrior 3 kinda had quite a few of those features already. It had weapons recoil and impact physics. You'd see your mech's torso wobble and precess as the gyro gradually stabilized you after you took a hit. The projectiles inherited your velocity vector.

Mechwarrior 3 had other shortcomings (single leg destruction = death, no hardpoints so you can stack a million lasers where ever, etc). But the physics engine was fantastic.

#8 DaZur

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 7,511 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 02 February 2022 - 10:09 AM

View PostDaZur, on 02 February 2022 - 07:46 AM, said:

Little background...

I have essentially entry-level experience in game design and have provided both free and contracted 3-D asset development and physic modeling for a couple of flight simulations.

That as a preface, in particular my deep appreciation of simulation-level games, I've been putzing with a couple game development platforms and believe I could produce a simulation level game that would cater to mech-combat nerds (like me) that would lean into some pseudo-simulation aspects while still being "fun"...

Obviously, this is something I'd be doing for my own edification, don't have deep pockets and have no intentions of dabbling in any IPs so it'd a generic clone of sorts...

My caveat is, would any one actually play it or for that matter be interested in it?

Thoughts?

List addendum: Modeling running/walking kinesiology based performance... In short, your speed should directly effect the radius of your turn... This is one of those picayune things that bothers in most mech games.

Turn radius should be directly affected by your speed (as should your start/stop and change of direction)... From a visual aspect, especially for bipedal ambulation... You should lean into your turns. (Trying moving at speed without leaning... it's virtually impossible).

Edited by DaZur, 02 February 2022 - 10:09 AM.

#9 Andrewlik

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Stryker
  • 138 posts

Posted 02 February 2022 - 11:25 AM

OP I think you could apply to be apart of the MW Living Legends team

#10 DaZur

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 7,511 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 02 February 2022 - 11:41 AM

View PostAndrewlik, on 02 February 2022 - 11:25 AM, said:

OP I think you could apply to be apart of the MW Living Legends team

I thought they went defunct/dormant?

#11 Terran123rd

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Lumberjack
  • The Lumberjack
  • 439 posts

Posted 02 February 2022 - 12:23 PM

View PostDaZur, on 02 February 2022 - 11:41 AM, said:

I thought they went defunct/dormant?

They're making a sequel, actually.

Living Legends 2: Armored Combat:

#12 DaZur

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 7,511 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 02 February 2022 - 12:51 PM

View PostTerran123rd, on 02 February 2022 - 12:23 PM, said:

They're making a sequel, actually.

Living Legends 2: Armored Combat:

Huh... Color me interested.

That said, "my" goal and scope would to be invoking pseudo-physics / simulation depth to play mechanics... Which quite frankly loses the low-attention span run & gun shooter crowds attention.

But yeah, I'll have to do a little poking before I invest in my venture. Posted Image

#13 Davegt27

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,973 posts
  • LocationCO

Posted 02 February 2022 - 01:40 PM

I was hoping that MWO would have been more of a Mech/BT combat simulator

but it has moved more and more away from that approach

IMHO a PC/computer game needs to fire on all cylinders to be good (if I can use car terminology)

or you might say it needs to hit all the marks

in that aspect MWO comes very very close

best of luck and wishes

#14 w0qj

• The Territorial
  • The Territorial
  • 3,435 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationAt your 6 :)

Posted 02 February 2022 - 02:08 PM

+1 agree with pbiggz!

It'll be brilliant should OP pull it off!
That said, it's almost a full time job as a 1-man-band to get this done, maintenance patches, compatibility with Windows, computer/internet security, etc.

==>Standalone program compatible with Windows? (easiest route)

==>What technology platform would you run your program under Windows**?

==>PvE (standalone program, play against computer only), or PvP (with gaming server, and who will cover the costs of this)?

==>Shareware or freeware? Or what I call Donation-ware? (It would occupy so much of your time that it may even affect your real life full time work!)

==>Join the Netflix of gaming? (ie: join GOG.com, Steam, Epic, Xbox, PlayStation, etc.?)

Note: ** - My own anecdotal experience with Starfighter: Disputed Galaxy ==> I think it was just 1 programmer keeping up a respectable single game server up and running for free, and I actually was having fun in it. Then over 1 years time, hackers started to hack accounts (I personally have see opponent starships with negative hitpoints, etc.), and eventually got to the point that the hacker got thru the game server security, and simply deleted everything on game server, including gamers' accounts.)
Shortly after the termination of Starfighter: Disputed Galaxy (which was running on Adobe Flash), Adobe announced discontinuation of the Flash platform due to irreconcilable computer/internet security issues.

So you get the idea...

And it'll be brilliant should you pull it off!

Edited by w0qj, 02 February 2022 - 02:15 PM.

#15 w0qj

• The Territorial
  • The Territorial
  • 3,435 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationAt your 6 :)

Posted 02 February 2022 - 02:50 PM

By the way, that's why I tend to pay for the PC/Computer games that I play regularly.
This applies to MWO as well for me!
Development costs, maintenance costs, server costs, manpower/salary to keep things up and running, etc.

Free-To-Play is a mirage; there is always someone else subsidising another free-to-play account's free gaming exerpience.

#16 DaZur

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 7,511 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 02 February 2022 - 08:35 PM

View Postw0qj, on 02 February 2022 - 02:08 PM, said:

And it'll be brilliant should you pull it off!

Trick is "baby steps"... Posted Image

It'll most definitely be Windows based. Been playing in Unreal, Dead Deer, and XNA. 3D StudioMAX is my modeling/animation app of choice. I'd likely start with primitive geometry to focus on the meat of this endeavor, that being the physics based mechanics... Logically it'll start as a single-player sandbox that'll grow based on feedback and suggestion.

Some aspect of multiplayer will evolve organically but I haven't decided on a central server node or client hosted. Obviously server base incurs cost above and beyond and as you eluded to, there is always someone ready and willing to invoke fresh hell for no reason other than to be *******.

All-in-all... At worst it will be a entertaining adventure for me personally as I kind'a dig stuff like this. Posted Image

#17 DaZur

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 7,511 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 03 February 2022 - 08:01 AM

As an aside stumbled upon this Googling today...

https://www.iron-reb...on.com/presskit

Going to drop the pittance to see what this VR offering is... well, offering. Posted Image

Edited by DaZur, 03 February 2022 - 08:02 AM.

#18 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,793 posts

Posted 05 February 2022 - 07:22 PM

ive been writing my own game engine for damn near 20 years, on off sort of work when i can find time. granted a more industrious and less distracted me might have fared better. the takeaway is if you want to single handedly make a game you are going to have to impose some limits on the scope of what you are making. axe those dreams of 50 different chassis and 100 different weapons and equipments. the alternative of course is jump down the rabbit hole of financing to fund a larger dev team.

#19 DaZur

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 7,511 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 05 February 2022 - 08:12 PM

View PostLordNothing, on 05 February 2022 - 07:22 PM, said:

ive been writing my own game engine for damn near 20 years, on off sort of work when i can find time. granted a more industrious and less distracted me might have fared better. the takeaway is if you want to single handedly make a game you are going to have to impose some limits on the scope of what you are making. axe those dreams of 50 different chassis and 100 different weapons and equipments. the alternative of course is jump down the rabbit hole of financing to fund a larger dev team.

Nope...

I have no grand delusions. What I'm doing is an act of self edification... If some other people enjoy it along the way, that's just icing on the preverbal cake.

I imagine there's self-flagellating folk out there like me who still appreciate a meaty simulation. If I can make some folks happy and realize there is more to gaming than mindless twitching... my day will be won. Posted Image

#20 Moldur

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 2,233 posts

Posted 05 February 2022 - 10:29 PM

I mean, that's basically how Mechwarrior started in the first place. That's why the early MW titles seem like they were designed by People who made flight sims. They were.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users