Getting Started With Battletech

8 replies to this topic

#1 DEV1ATE

Rookie

• 5 posts

Posted 09 March 2022 - 11:39 PM

I recently picked up the "Battletech: A Game of Armored Combat" box, and yet these rules seem... incomplete? The rule book seems to be missing a few weapons systems I've seen around other mechs (LIke the MML7s from the exterminator 6CS I got out of a mystery box) as well as companion systems (Chamelion LPS, Null Systems). I also see little-to-no mention of a minimum range, and it even states that PPCs have a "Short" range bracket, no min-range to speak of. That, and the datasheet my friend and I have been using has 4 range values, not 3. Is there anything else that I need to play the tabletop fully?

#2 martian

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,578 posts

Posted 10 March 2022 - 12:30 AM

View PostDEV1ATE, on 09 March 2022 - 11:39 PM, said:

I recently picked up the "Battletech: A Game of Armored Combat" box, and yet these rules seem... incomplete?

That rulebook used to be titled "Introductory Rulebook". It should suffice for playing with the 'Mechs and record sheets from the "Introductory Box Set", i.e. the set that you own.

It is more or less expected that if a player likes the game and masters the rules from the box set rulebook, he will buy Total Warfare rulebook, i.e. the standard BattleTech rulebook. MMLs are in this book.

The rule book seems to be missing a few weapons systems I've seen around other mechs (LIke the MML7s from the exterminator 6CS I got out of a mystery box) as well as companion systems (Chamelion LPS, Null Systems).

That EXT-6CS Exterminator sports some advanced technology. The game rules for those items are in the advanced BattleTech rulebook called Tactical Operations. The rules for Chameleon LPS and NSS are in TacOps.

Essentially, that advanced variant of the Exterminator is extra - kinda out of place in comparison with the simple IntroTech box set 'Mechs. Using such advanced 'Mech would be like buying "Battle of Britain" box set and wondering how to use F-22 Lightning that you bought in the store because you liked it. Posted Image

I also see little-to-no mention of a minimum range, and it even states that PPCs have a "Short" range bracket, no min-range to speak of. That, and the datasheet my friend and I have been using has 4 range values, not 3.

Well, the explanation od the minimum range on pages 18-19 of the box set Rulebook seems quite okay to me. What exactly do you not undestand?

If you check the record sheet for the AWS-8Q Awesome, it really shows 4 range brackets for its PPC:
  • minimum
  • short
  • medium
  • long
The minimum range is a part of the short range bracket.

Is there anything else that I need to play the tabletop fully?

Well, there are many things available, but you do not have to buy them right now.

I would recommend buying an extra map pack with some normal terrain (i.e. nothing exotic). Larger playing area can offer more tactical options.

#3 DEV1ATE

Rookie

• 5 posts

Posted 12 March 2022 - 01:42 PM

Thanks. I might even try the alpha strike, "Pared down" version at some point, since I'm not exactly used to keeping track of this much data. Once I get the hang of remembering the important bits of my mechs as well as finding a good way to keep track of all their data, I'm definitely going to get the more advanced stuff. Also can't wait to paint minis, as that seems enjoyable as well. (I come from 40k, so I can at least do that much.)

#4 martian

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,578 posts

Posted 12 March 2022 - 02:50 PM

View PostDEV1ATE, on 12 March 2022 - 01:42 PM, said:

since I'm not exactly used to keeping track of this much data. Once I get the hang of remembering the important bits of my mechs as well as finding a good way to keep track of all their data, I'm definitely going to get the more advanced stuff.

It is not as difficult as it seems.

I suggest you buy a package of some very cheap small dice, as described on page 8 of your Introductory rulebook. Go with the cheapest variety, since you will use them just to mark the movement of the 'Mechs. You will need them in black, white and red. Every time you or your opponent move your respective 'Mechs, place one die right behind (or next to) the 'Mech.

Those dice should be smaller than the dice you use for your usual rolls, so there is no confusion between the two.

Example 1
Your COM-2D Commando walked 6 hexes. You place one white die behind it, showing two dots.

This way both of you will know that Commando has been moved, when moving 'Mechs during the Movement phase.

During the firing phase you will know that you must add +1 as your Attacker Movement Modifier when firing your Commando's weapons (since your 'Mech walked; therefore, the white colour of the die) and your opponent will know that he must add +2 as his Target Movement Modifier, if he attempts to target your Commando (since your Commando moved 5-6 hexes).

See the table on page 19.

Example 2
Your opponent's MAD-3R Marauder ran 6 hexes. Your enemy places one black die behind Marauder, showing two dots.

This way both of you will know that Marauder has been moved, when moving 'Mechs during the Movement phase.

During the firing phase he will know that he must add +2 as his Attacker Movement Modifier when firing his Marauder's weapons (since his 'Mech ran; therefore, the black colour of the die) and you will know that you must add +2 as your Target Movement Modifier, if you attempt to target his Marauder (since his Marauder moved 5-6 hexes).

Example 3
Your WVR-6R Wolverine jumped 5 hexes. You place one red die behind it, showing three dots.

This way both of you will know that Wolverine has been moved, when moving 'Mechs during the Movement phase.

During the firing phase you will know that you must add +3 as your Attacker Movement Modifier when firing your Wolverine's weapons (since your 'Mech jumped; therefore, the red colour of the die) and your opponent will know that he must add +3 as his Target Movement Modifier, if he attempts to target your Wolverine (since your Wolverine moved 5-6 hexes AND jumped; therefore +2 AND +1=+3).

Really, those dice can really help both you and your opponent. Try it first in some simple 1v1 and 2v2 games.

Of course, do not forget to add other applicable modifiers. Posted Image

#5 DEV1ATE

Rookie

• 5 posts

Posted 12 March 2022 - 10:34 PM

Less movement-based stuff, and more armor damage/loadout/ammo amount info. I'm aware there's sheets you can configure for that, but having to scrawl one or more sheets up every game doesn't seem appealing. There might be an app-based/online solution, I just have yet to find it.

#6 martian

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,578 posts

Posted 12 March 2022 - 11:30 PM

View PostDEV1ATE, on 12 March 2022 - 10:34 PM, said:

Less movement-based stuff, and more armor damage/loadout/ammo amount info. I'm aware there's sheets you can configure for that, but having to scrawl one or more sheets up every game doesn't seem appealing. There might be an app-based/online solution, I just have yet to find it.

I see.

#7 Caltharian

Rookie

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 1 posts

Posted 04 September 2022 - 03:54 PM

I realise that this is coming abit late, but you could go old school battletech and buy a bunch of punch pockets, make photocopies of the relevant mech sheets and put them into them. then you can use a dry wipe marker to do all your damage and heat marking and anything else you want while being able to just wipe the sheet clean and use it again.

#8 martian

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,578 posts

Posted 10 September 2022 - 05:23 AM

View PostCaltharian, on 04 September 2022 - 03:54 PM, said:

I realise that this is coming abit late, but you could go old school battletech and buy a bunch of punch pockets, make photocopies of the relevant mech sheets and put them into them. then you can use a dry wipe marker to do all your damage and heat marking and anything else you want while being able to just wipe the sheet clean and use it again.

And the best thing is that you can use your record sheets that are many years old, because the absolute majority of them is still valid. Posted Image

#9 Spardose

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 128 posts
  • Locationcave near the river

Posted 12 November 2022 - 11:47 AM

and if you need some stuff maybe look here:

https://www.humblebu...labs_bookbundle

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users