• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Territorial
  • The Territorial
  • 3,404 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationAt your 6 :)

Posted 19 March 2022 - 10:57 PM

+100000000000000 (Wholeheartedly agree!)
[Disclaimer: I personally would be sticking with 12/12 Quick Play mode as it is, ad verbatim].

A) Please keep 12/12 as core of Quick Play!
Option A: Players must choose "12/12 Quick Play" for this option.

B ) Maybe 8/8 [or even 4/4] in appropriately sized maps (traditional QP mays, and even Solaris maps like 4/4 in Steiner Colosseum!).
~Option B: Players must choose this "8/8 Colosseum Mode" for this option.

C) Random Queue Assignment:
Player chooses "Random Queue Assignment" and MWO server will decide which queue you get into: 12/12 or 8/8.
A bit of virtual CBills rewards for user choosing Random Queue Assignment instead!
Other users can insist on waiting for 8/8 queue only, and
still other users can insist on waiting for 12/12 queue only.

This is the way another online game, ST:O, had overcome some queue which took too long to start!

View PostStrongMouse, on 19 March 2022 - 10:12 PM, said:

OK, PGI wanted feedback, so here are my 8v8 Observations. This is what I have noticed during the 20+ matches that I played.

Queue times were about 60 seconds faster than the 12v12 matches I have played recently. The tonnage match-up was skewed in some games as expected, usually resulting in lopsided match results. Objectives were typically not played. Every match but one that I played was played as Skirmish/Annihilation mode regardless of the vote outcome. Most matches degenerated into brutal slug fests once the teams were engaged. Strategy and objectives were mostly disregarded. As such, most matches were typically decided in favor of the team to get the first 1 to 2 kills. Recovery from this deficit usually did not happen. Pre-made groups further increased this problem.

From what I saw, heavy or assault mechs with high alpha/Meta builds were the most successful. Fast light/medium builds with a lot of small weapons were also successful. Damage over time builds were subpar. Unless part of a pre-made group working together with a spotter, ATM and LRM builds were not consistently effective. Also unless in a group, a player that tried scouting or flanking solo was usually ineffective or the first mech to be destroyed.

The social aspect of the match has declined and communications were mostly nonexistent. Most players did not use voice communication except to complain about another player's performance.

I played fully skilled and partially skilled mechs. Any mech that was below approximately 50 applied skill points was at a very noticeable disadvantage usually causing early deaths. This meant lower experience per match and potentially making skilling up a new mech to be a grind. I suppose this grind could be overcome if you're willing to pay real money for GSP...

In my humble opinion I feel the 8v8 mode in its current configuration should be dropped.

I think Quick Play should be a fun way to play the game, not be a hardcore annihilation match. I feel that hardcore matches should be done in faction or comp play modes where everyone is of the same mindset. I also feel that Quick Play should be a place to learn how a new mech performs and see what builds work best for you.

The experience point grind that will be required in 8v8 mode discourages me from purchasing any new mechs in the future. Also, I feel there is no point in investing in a game that forces me as a player to use a narrow set of build choices dictated by someone else (not to mention the cost of re-equipping and re-skilling a number of my current mechs to make them viable). For me, experimental and non-meta builds have been a fun aspect of this game.

The 8v8 mode was much less fun that 12v12. It is too intense and not sociable enough to make me want to play this mode regularly. 8v8 is fun if you just want to go out and try to overpower your opponents with Meta Burst or PPFL damage builds.

However I think the 8v8 or even a 4v4 configuration would be a good addition or a possible replacement to the current Solaris 7 arena with suitable rewards. From what I experienced of the 8v8 play mentality this weekend, where the only apparent objective is to annihilate the other players as fast as possible, it would be better suited for the gladiator style of play that Solaris 7 was intended to represent.

Again, this is only my opinion Posted Image. GL&HF out there!

Edited by w0qj, 19 March 2022 - 11:09 PM.

#482 VeeOt Dragon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 1,081 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 19 March 2022 - 11:35 PM

played a few more matches and yes it still sucks. there is still to big an imbalance and takes all the fun out of playing non-meta builds.

wait times no change match length shorter but always a stomp, first team to get a kill is the first team to win. no change in the communication lvls and a massive decrease in the diversity of builds and mechs used.

0/10 i see no gain in 8v8. though if PGI wants bring the group/comp play modes back let them have the 8v8.

sad that we don;t have the player numbers to increase the matches to something like 24v24. sadly i think this 8v8 thing if made the norm will likely be finale nail in the coffin of an already dying game.

#483 Occisor4423

Rookie

• 5 posts

Posted 20 March 2022 - 12:10 AM

View Postw0qj, on 19 March 2022 - 10:57 PM, said:

This is the way another online game, ST:O, had overcome some queue which took too long to start!

Is that game you mention PvE?
If it is PvE, it can reduce the number of other users cooperating with you and make the enemy NPCs weaker accordingly, which will reduce the number of recruits and thus reduce queue time easily.
But in PvP MWO, to balance both teams, tonnage and the number of groups needs to be aligned, and since the population is declining, the time it takes for a match is increasing even if PGI abandon that considerably.
So if PGI split it into 8v8 and 12v12 after optimizing and improving on the current test(if its possible), users will be spread out and queues time will be further increased.
It is that PvP with complete abandonment of balance or PvE with easy to balancing would just reduce the number of issues that need to be considered.
That's also the reason why the 8v8 we are testing now has improved only the waiting time.

The idea that PGI cares too much about matching time and speeding up the process even if it reduces the quality of each battle is clearly wrong.

Edited by Occisor4423, 20 March 2022 - 06:35 PM.

#484 m a x

• Pip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 10 posts

Posted 20 March 2022 - 01:53 AM

Hi its not that bad its only the batlle to get match score and keeping tier level the same or getting better

#485 Gernik

Rookie

• Survivor
  • 7 posts

Posted 20 March 2022 - 03:01 AM

There is a reason why games like WOW use a PTR to try out stuff before they put it in the live game. To see if it actually works. The matchmaker obviously wasn't built for 8v8 so we get completely messed up groups. I've been in matches whee there has been 5 assault mechs on one teams and not even 1 on the other. Plz do not put stuff like 8v8 on the live servers without making sure that everything actually works the way you intended it to.

If you want to test stuff out use a PTR. I am sure that a lot of ppl would go there to try new things out knowing full well that the game will be a bit bugged and not working as well as the live game. The way the 8v8 matchmaker works will just scare ppl away from the game.

Edited by Gernik, 20 March 2022 - 03:06 AM.

#486 amisu

• PipPipPip
  • 65 posts

Posted 20 March 2022 - 03:28 AM

Just add 8v8 as an option for normal QP in next patches please <3

#487 Ballistic Panicmode

• PipPipPip
  • The Scattershot
  • 53 posts
  • LocationMaryland, USA

Posted 20 March 2022 - 05:00 AM

Reposting my reply to D A T A's thread on the subject, because the matchmaker problem needs to be fed some ideas:

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Some ideas to consider - assuming that a "flex queue" is possible without extensive coding changes
-Flexible 4/8/12 match size as the player population fluctuates.
-Players may set a preference for match size, or no preference. This is not a hard limit, but the matchmaker will choose matching preferences first then fill out the current match as needed.
-Groups are limited - 4 man is limited to 12v12 and 3 man to 8v8 or 12v 12. This IS a hard limit and will increase wait times.
-Map choices should be sorted by appropriate match size, with the Solaris maps being used for 4v4. Some maps may be suitable for more than one size.
-Consider sorting game modes by match size, and revamping / developing new game modes for new challenges besides high damage slugfest. Bring back scouting mode.
-Consider an idea I have brought up before, each player having a small 2-mech drop deck of matching weight class to choose from prior to the start of the match.
- Also consider merging FP and QP, with a hard opt-out on the large FP matches and QP contributing to FP the way scouting matches used to. Larger groups than 4 man would be limited to FP and the matchmaker would balance using groups before choosing solo players. Yes, this would mean completely separating IS and Clan.

Something needs to be done with the matchmaking system, and soon, and it shouldn't be something that runs off more players.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The upsides to such a change could be better matchmaking, more gameplay diversity, and a smoother transition to more complex gameplay as a player progresses in skill, if done right.

The downside, of course, is the need for PGI to devote some significant resources to make it happen. Posted Image

Edited by Ballistic Panicmode, 20 March 2022 - 05:07 AM.

#488 1Corinthians82

Rookie

• Command Sergeant-Major
  • 3 posts

Posted 20 March 2022 - 06:12 AM

8v8 makes obsolete so many fun/silly/not-optimised builds. Basically punishes you for having fun with builds. Well, at least that's less reason to buy most of the mechs.

Gross. No thank you.

#489 pacocrowman

Rookie

• Knight Errant
  • 6 posts

Posted 20 March 2022 - 06:58 AM

LOVE IT! - keep it as an option - fast fun games and i have been playing solo!

#490 GARION26

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • 301 posts

Posted 20 March 2022 - 09:25 AM

Solo tier 4/5 here I have been enjoying it.

#491 Xagroth

Rookie

• Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 2 posts

Posted 20 March 2022 - 09:41 AM

My experience: Crappy.

I get the best mileage running a light mech (surprise...), which is a constant of jumping, running and adrenalyne to get engough damage over the game to make it worth it. Or grab a BAS with 4 pulse lasers and kill whatever, get murdered in three mins, but having done the same or more damage than with the light mech over 15.

Disconnects are a constant, and more often than not it's an Assault or heavy mech. And tonnage disparity is at the highest level, I had a game with 3 assaults, 2 heavy and 3 lights, against our 1 assault, 1 heavy, 4 meds and 2 lights.

Groups cause an enormous impact, being able to murdekill anything and anyone.

And finally, depending on tiers, you see the same people time and again, I assume most people are protesting against this 8v8 only nonsense by not playing. Turning everything for those of use who are not in a group and want a less "pro" experience into a useless grind.

Bottom line: before changing anything, FIX THE MATCHMAKER.

#492 DeadWeight18

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Silent Killer
  • The Silent Killer
  • 263 posts
  • LocationLuxembourg

Posted 20 March 2022 - 10:39 AM

8v8 does not fly with the current set-up of groups and solos, matchmaker, tier mix and tonnage imbalance.

Can we please go back to 12v12 or higher.

#493 BALIander

• PipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 21 posts
  • Locationon hyper jump, spacewards

Posted 20 March 2022 - 12:48 PM

great! let's scare off the last remnants of occasional players Posted Image

#494 Seelenlos

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 550 posts

Posted 20 March 2022 - 01:34 PM

You need to build in a defragmentation programm in the Updater (I would say you go with contig "https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/downloads/contig"

You may/should ask Mark Russinovich to build a special Version for Game-Updater(s) to add after updates so it defrags automatically (and SLOW) the data behind the scene, so ppl can enter games faster!

Behind that 8x8 is an option which , as written, should be also implemented for choice!

#495 Tarl Cabot

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Tai-sho
  • Tai-sho
  • 7,654 posts
  • LocationImperial City, Luthien - Draconis Combine

Posted 20 March 2022 - 01:45 PM

View PostOccisor4423, on 19 March 2022 - 09:15 PM, said:

Many people realize that groups of 4 have excessive influence in 8v8, but 4 person influence is also excessive in 12v12 to begin with.

The groups of 4 have existed in 12v12 for years, forcing users to adapt, get used to it or give up, but the environment changed worse so rapidly this weekend that we were reminded of the problem.

I hope that the abandonment of the 8v8 adoption is a given, but I also hope that this test will provide an opportunity to reduce the number of groups to 3 people or less in 12v12.

-- Groups of 4 in the Soup Queue has not been there forever, only during the previous 8v8 then shortly thereafter when 12vs12 went live. Then only a very short time cause PGI wasnt able to code it to separate the other groups from the main queue.

-- Even when group code was added 4-man was in the primary queue during 8v8, it was 1 mech/weight class because the MM held tight to the 2-2-2-2 weight class lineup. This is the main reason when hovering mouse over the Launch button, one will see the weight class percentages waiting in the queue to be matched up..

Link to the original 8v8 8-man weight queue when it went live, as well as Elo calcuations. https://mwomercs.com...79-matchmaking/

-- The 3-3-3-3, when 12vs12 went live, PGI would open up that requirement (still matching classes across teams) new mechs were released to quicken the MM timing, or players would be waiting for a LONG time for matches when the queue at 50% mediums, heavies, or assaults ever time a new mechs were released. Eventually PGI either severely loosen or removed the 3-3-3-3-3 from the MM so that they didnt have to continue going in the manually change it up then back. The matching weight classes across teams in the primary queue (Solo queue) was not removed.

-- Solo queue was not merged into the Group queue til late April 2020 - https://mwomercs.com...es-4-week-test/ Group Queue did not have matching weight classes, only tonnage allowances dependent on the group size. And tier matching was particularly non-existent since that queue had a very low population.

-- Original 8v8 w/groups were... okay.. I have no rose-colored glasses about it but like others I also saw 12v12 as an improvement overall. I want to say that I wished PGI had been able to keep 4-man, or even 3-man in the primary 12vs12 queue with its 1mech/class group restriction, but even back then most groups, since most groups were unit-base more often than not, had several advantages over solo players, but the real main advantage was VOIP. MWO did not get integrated TS VOIP until a few months AFTER Community Warfare (Faction Play) went live in Dec 2014.....(chuckles) PGI didnt get the Command Wheel until April 2017....

#496 Rainbow Glitter Kitty

Rookie

• Wild Dog
  • Wild Dog
  • 3 posts

Posted 20 March 2022 - 03:01 PM

I hate the 8v8. On large maps especailly playing a Assault it is just Mech Walking Online until 1 side or the other gets stomped. Game is over too fast, takes too long to get to where you can shoot. Then when you get there which ever side had 1 mech over commit or get out of position gets the whole team greased, fast. So you spend the whole game walking then its over. I'm a causal player. I might play heavey for a few months then not play at all for a few months. I have no idea what the meta is, other than hearing the term I don't know or care. Tried some faction matches and didn't find it fun. Have some builds the previously worked well. Now I can't even tell bc the games are over so quick. Def NOT fun.

Shooting things is fun. Walking for most of the game time is boring. Rather do 16v16 than 8v8. Big maps really suck now. If it stays 8v8 I just won't be interested in playing anymore. I HAD time this weekend and didn't bother playing after friday. I could log on now, but would rather complain about 8v8 than play 8v8. For a casual like me, that can make a few builds work for them with mediocre skill, this went from being fun to being boring. And get a mode like Assault or Conquest on a big map and few if any lights and playing an assualt, I'll go AFK and drop a duce and play the next game, (if I even bother to play 8v8 and this weekend I didn't), and hope to get a small map and not get Conquest. And if you don't go AFK it doesn't matter anyway bc the Assault is too slow to get there, the game is decided by the time you get to the combat.

It aint my call either way. But for me 8v8 is a kill joy and I likely will find something else to do with my time. I'm not a hard core player though. I'm not on here every day and I sometimes take months off. However have been playing since 2016 or so...

#497 JaegerDjinn

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 156 posts
  • LocationFLORIDA,USA

Posted 20 March 2022 - 03:31 PM

Coming from someone that has been playing this game all the time since beta I can personally tell you I love running the 8v8. Games are quicker and makes you have too fight harder if you want too win. I hope you keep it this way. Would be the best upgrade too game since it started.

#498 Roodkapje

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 577 posts

Posted 20 March 2022 - 03:32 PM

A bit boring to be honest... :(

I think it would be better to make it a preference just like the servers for certain regions (Which is bugged for at least a year now! REMEMBER ?!?!) and let people choose if they want to look for 8 vs. 8 or 12 vs. 12 games :)

#499 CreativeAnarchy

• PipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 62 posts

Posted 20 March 2022 - 03:35 PM

It is missing something like some kind of danger without the snipers or possible wolf pack.

Meta will change to something different than what 12v12.

Players really have to have a decent mech and can't just bring something. I like to sometimes play with other weapons to see what might be fun even when they are not great. Can't really bring weird builds, it really shows when you do not pull your weight.

Long range builds are not very effective. I'm not a sniper type but I don't mind running a mech with a nice long range on occasion.

When it was first turned on, we had some weird mixes with a whole bunch of assaults and very few lights. This isn't too bad unless you get stuck on conquest, especially if it is a huge map. Group comps still seem wonky.

The huge maps are just way too huge for 8v8.

I'd like to see larger teams like 16x16 or 20x20.

#500 Wonkyorc

Rookie

• The Predator
  • The Predator
  • 1 posts

Posted 20 March 2022 - 03:39 PM

Personally the 8v8 is a good idea in theory but in practice not so much
Cons
1. The group’s tonnage seems to be completely one sided with some teams be vastly under the opposing teams tonnage
2. It seems to me like once you get an early lead on kills there’s no hope for the losing team due to there just not being enough of a team left, 2-3 kill leads are not hard to get then from there it just becomes like the end of a 12v12 game where the winning team is just all rushing in trying to fight over the remaining kills
3. Pre-made teams of 4 are dominating the queues because 4 people coordinating is half the team and if they are up against solo droppers they just do what I mentioned above by focusing 2 targets taking them out and it’s all over from there
Pros
1. Games are more quicker to get into
2. They seem more controlled on some maps so now sniping alone doesn’t mean instant death from a light mech as everyone seems to group up more (which is also a con because if you don’t stay together you seem to get stomped anyway)

In all honesty the quicker games is a big plus but it just gets completely wasted due to the games being so one sided most of the time if 8v8 was to be come a permanent thing I wouldn’t have an issue with it if the matchmaking was limited to 2 man teams or just have the tonnage more evenly spread. Having said that I do understand that by having tonnage being a big factor in the grouping then it would slow down matchmaking which would be counter productive which we don’t want, to sum it up the end goal of making finding games faster is great but I think you may need to go back to the drawing board with how to achieve it.

I give this game a lot of flak I know but it’s tough love, I love the game to the core and just want it to be even better so keep up the good work guys

Edited by Wonkyorc, 20 March 2022 - 03:39 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users