8 Vs 8 Quickplay Weekend

563 replies to this topic

#21 Redlegdaddy

• Pip
  • Bad Company
  • 11 posts

Posted 17 March 2022 - 09:35 AM

Going 8v8 in the middle of an event that requires match score for rewards, classy.

#22 anfadern

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 270 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 17 March 2022 - 09:36 AM

Like old times!
Great fun indeed!

#23 Curccu

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 4,610 posts

Posted 17 March 2022 - 09:36 AM

View PostScout Derek, on 17 March 2022 - 09:32 AM, said:

Yes, absolutely; But you know what kills matchmaking?

Allowing 4 mans into the 8v8 queue.

Yeah maybe max two man would be good and maybe not even 200 tons total... dunno.

#24 Shiloh Bane

• PipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 29 posts
  • LocationLouisville,Ky

Posted 17 March 2022 - 09:38 AM

​It will take some getting used to, that's for sure.

But, I will say this. A change this major needs an In-Game notice. I've played 3 matches since the change, and no one knew what was going on. I only saw this once I went to the website.

#25 S E 7 E N

Rookie

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 8 posts

T

View PostScout Derek, on 17 March 2022 - 09:32 AM, said:

Yes, absolutely; But you know what kills matchmaking?

Allowing 4 mans into the 8v8 queue.

True, but I think its down to player base, match-maker can't fill two sides of half equal tier if there isn't enough of said players in said tiers playing, or are already in a game at the time you matchup. Posted Image Posted Image

#26 ShootterMcGavin

• PipPipPip
  • The Terror
  • The Terror
  • 65 posts
  • LocationSlam Diego, CA

The chimps are gonna be on parade

#27 Magic Pain Glove

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2023 Gold Champ
  • CS 2023 Gold Champ
  • 138 posts

Posted 17 March 2022 - 09:41 AM

In theory 8v8 would and should feel better as you have more influence over a match as an individual pilot .But combine 8v8 with 4 mans being allowed (50% undiluted SOUP) and the inability of MM to balance groups against groups or pugs against groups this is gonna end up being omega poo5p ....

It should have been reduced to 2 mans for the sake of testing at least. The tonnage disbalance seems to be even worse that what we have seen so far.

Edited by Magic Pain Glove, 17 March 2022 - 09:41 AM.

#28 P H O T O N

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Wild Dog
  • Wild Dog
  • 119 posts

Posted 17 March 2022 - 09:42 AM

Regarding 8v8, perhaps the limitation of the current match-maker will be less evident, but I wonder if four-mans will now really start to dominate - particularly in T1. This is not necessarily a bad thing I should add as this is a team game, but I do hope you have considered the solo or mixed-tier dropper (like myself who is trying to grow a community here!) and have tweaked the match-maker already.

I might not give it a try however as it is mid-season and mid-events and there has been no forewarning. Perhaps you should have created a separate event for this trial and have a separate set of pilot statistics for it?

My feeling is that I would prefer 12v12 as the games will probably last longer and be more varied. Regarding 8v8, isn't that already catered for in comp?

Edited by Titan Prometheus, 17 March 2022 - 12:46 PM.

#29 Mochyn Pupur

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Patron Saint
  • The Patron Saint
  • 521 posts
  • LocationDerby, England

Posted 17 March 2022 - 09:45 AM

Amazingly ******** thing to do on an event of all things.

Haven't you read enough in the forums to show most people do not want 8v8? What was speculated would happen is happening, one side folds so much faster than before. So a fast game, short queues, but fewer folk to play in them because you've driven them off.

Perfect.

#30 Redlegdaddy

• Pip
  • Bad Company
  • 11 posts

Posted 17 March 2022 - 09:46 AM

View PostTitan Prometheus, on 17 March 2022 - 09:42 AM, said:

Regarding 8v8, perhaps the limitation of the current match-maker will be less evident, but I wonder if four-mans will now really start to dominate - particularly in T1. This is not necessarily a bad thing I should add as this is a team game, but I do hope you have considered the solo or mixed-tier dropper and have tweaked the match-maker already.

You know they have not adjusted any of that or thought about any of the consequences of this change.

#31 Ch_R0me

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Named
  • The Named
  • 609 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationIn DireStar with Heavy Naval PPC

Posted 17 March 2022 - 09:46 AM

View PostMatt Newman, on 17 March 2022 - 09:35 AM, said:

We are working on a Feature called Event Mode Queue.
When we add the feature to the game we will be able to control Groups for the Event Mode Queue separately.
The current design will allow us to Force Groups, have smaller Groups, or no groups in the Event Mode Queue.

Please Keep in mind we are only doing this for this weekend Posted Image

Yeah, that would be something new. Posted Image

Also - it's gonna be great to see some good ol' 8vs8 fights, but on the "neo" maps, it would take some more time to find the enemy though.

#32 Vladokapuh

• PipPipPip
  • The Widow Maker
  • The Widow Maker
  • 55 posts

Posted 17 March 2022 - 09:49 AM

When we add the feature to the game we will be able to control Groups for the Event Mode Queue separately.
The current design will allow us to Force Groups, have smaller Groups, or no groups in the Event Mode Queue.

no, it has to stay forever

#33 martian

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,576 posts

Posted 17 March 2022 - 09:49 AM

So, first you said that the lack of players in separate queues was the cause of the merger of the Solo Queue and Group Queue.

Now you are telling us that you are going to split buckets again.

Well, I guess I will have to find something else to do over the weekend.

Better to do something else than to fight 4-man premade with prearranged tactics and good Mechs that is a half of the enemy team, while my team is a disparate collection of various PUGs in junk 'Mechs.

#34 Blind Squirrel

• PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 17 March 2022 - 09:51 AM

I see a lot of chatter about lower match scores due to 8v8. However, we should be able to get more games in as each game won't take as long.

If 8v8 were to become permanent, I think there would need to be some size reduction for some of the bigger maps.

On a side note, where do I request adding a feature to change your variant once a map is selected?

#35 Saved By The Bell

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 674 posts
  • LocationJapan

Posted 17 March 2022 - 09:52 AM

Its terrible.

#36 ccrider

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,466 posts

Posted 17 March 2022 - 09:55 AM

I'd love it if 8v8 was the new norm; even in Faction Play. Matches starting faster would be a god-send, although I agree if this was the case that QP groups should either be removed or reduced to a 2-man. A 4 man in an 8v8 QP environment would have undue influence over the match result, good or bad. A top-tier 4 man would just roll through and stomp even if they played completely brain dead and just walked forward and shot stuff without any manuevering.

#37 martian

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,576 posts

Posted 17 March 2022 - 09:55 AM

View PostBlind Squirrel, on 17 March 2022 - 09:51 AM, said:

On a side note, where do I request adding a feature to change your variant once a map is selected?

Here: Feature Suggestions

#38 FLG 01

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Leutnant
  • Leutnant
  • 2,646 posts

Posted 17 March 2022 - 09:56 AM

View PostzVz, on 17 March 2022 - 09:23 AM, said:

loving 8v8. Looking forward to play 4v4

There is (or was?) 4v4, and everybody hates it: scouting.

8v8 is a step towards that. It is as quick as it is dull and boring, plus even more unbalanced thanks to 4 premades.

#39 Redlegdaddy

• Pip
  • Bad Company
  • 11 posts

Posted 17 March 2022 - 09:58 AM

PGI "Hey we are doing an experiment that will drastically change your experience and you have no choice but to take part" That is the kind of respect PGI has for it's playerbase.

Edit. Lemme guess are they gonna claim the game is "Early access"? XD

Edited by Redlegdaddy, 17 March 2022 - 10:05 AM.

#40 Gernik

Rookie

• Survivor
  • 7 posts

Posted 17 March 2022 - 09:59 AM

Until you balance the matchmaking so the teams are even slightly evenly balanced in terms of weight balance playing 8 V 8 is just pointless.

If this becomes the permanent thing I'm done with MWO.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users