101 replies to this topic

#21 PocketYoda

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,137 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 22 March 2022 - 05:31 PM

Those first two pictures really show how broken the clan large lasers are.. thanks op.

Its not the map its the weapons that ruin this game.

Edited by Nomad Tech, 22 March 2022 - 05:32 PM.

#22 ScrapIron Prime

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,875 posts
  • LocationSmack dab in the middle of Ohio

Posted 22 March 2022 - 06:12 PM

Played 3 matches on it tonight (out of 6 times it came up for voting). Snipers are indeed not starved for choice along Potato Saw Ridge, but I did find two locations in the center where you can return fire at snipers at under 600m that are very safe to fight from if your team doesn't abandon you.

#23 Pizzle Whip

Rookie

• Bad Company
  • 2 posts

Posted 22 March 2022 - 06:21 PM

Once again another map tailored for the sniper meta, It's just HPG or Caustic but with less places to hide from sniper fire. Being a close range brawler is pointless and you get punished for trying to play the middle.

#24 IronWolfPack64

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2023 Top 12 Qualifier
  • CS 2023 Top 12 Qualifier
  • 269 posts

Posted 22 March 2022 - 06:24 PM

This map I actually kinda like. The ridges are kinda dumb but then again the snipers that go up there are so far from their team that they are quite vulnerable to even fast brawling heavies. I like the brawling in the middle and the fact that it pulls off having a small map better than any other QP map in my opinion.

Biggest gripe however is that it feels completely unoriginal. As someone who has played faction play semi religiously this added almost nothing new to the game for me…… but at least they ported over the best part on the map to fight for the QP map. So overall decent job. It’s another map I can brawl on and LRMs are kinda bad on it so I’m happy.

#25 Lumovanis

• PipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 26 posts

Posted 22 March 2022 - 09:54 PM

I played on this one some more. There is a pattern forming, where you get 2 or 3 heavies/assaults up on the ridge together. I have tried to push Potato Ridge a couple times with a teammate or two, and I just get shot to pieces on that approach. It wouldn't be so bad if they had less cover/fewer trees. It is really hard to press them and you are sort of forced to trade shots at midrange from the middle with them. Domination here is nice at least because it forces them to leave their comfy little camping area after their frontline gets wiped out.

All in all, this map is another eyeroll from me now.

#26 PocketYoda

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,137 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 22 March 2022 - 11:44 PM

Its a kill box.. not worth voting for at this time.

They need to remove the roads above.

#27 Radbacker

• Pip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 15 posts

Posted 23 March 2022 - 12:15 AM

Haven’t played it yet but I was really hoping they mod the other side of the FP map as we haven’t really got a rolling bill type map in the game yet + LRMs ������ still hope I can get a few games on it tonight when I get home from work

CU Radbacker

Edited by Radbacker, 23 March 2022 - 12:16 AM.

#28 Akamia Terizen

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Ravenous
  • The Ravenous
  • 155 posts

Posted 23 March 2022 - 12:56 AM

Well, I’ll defer to the experience of everyone else, but speaking for myself, I had a good time almost every time I landed on it. My tier 5 self was able to get 4 kills on my first run of the new Summoner G there before I went down, and my play with the Kit Fox P wasn’t too bad either.

#29 RabidBeagles

• PipPip
  • Heishi-ni
  • 36 posts

Posted 23 March 2022 - 03:34 AM

I kinda like it, maybe because I kinda like HPG too, and I'm not even the sniper type. Its small area might make dealing with snipers easier than in HPG. Caustic Valley without all the visibility-killing toxic fumes? Am fine with that. Forest Colony gives me trouble so I find the trees here annoying too, but then we wouldn't have all the color. Besides, I enjoy mowing down trees with my mech. All in all, thanks PGI for the new(ish) stuff.

#30 Khale MacGregor

• PipPipPip
  • General II
  • General II
  • 52 posts

Posted 23 March 2022 - 04:14 AM

And we are forgetting the most obvious problem! Other than snipe/LRMs, Bloody NASCARing around the buildings in the center...

smh.....

#31 ghostrider

• PipPip
  • CS 2023 Top 25 Qualifier
  • CS 2023 Top 25 Qualifier
  • 31 posts

Posted 23 March 2022 - 05:22 AM

I like it, you can brawl, snipe, poptart, get in cover, etc. It's also somewhat small so action gets in your face fast.

#32 Bud Crue

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 9,913 posts
  • LocationOn the farm in central Minnesota

Posted 23 March 2022 - 05:29 AM

For years I have said that for Emerald, the hilly area, outside the base would make an excellent QP map. When I heard they were modifying the map for QP, I stupidly just assumed that is what they would do. LOL. Instead we get a big ditch between two sniper platforms. I don't see this as much as another Caustic but more of a temperate and mini version of New Frozen City. Another trade sides right away or just poke at each other for 10 minutes until someone gets impatient map.

Ffs, brawling may not be totally dead, but as far as I can tell of late, Francois et al. sure do seem to want to encourage mid to long range trading above all else for some reason. I miss old HPG.

#33 Vonbach

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 697 posts

Posted 23 March 2022 - 06:01 AM

So far I like it. It seems like caustic valley except with real cover. Its small so the action takes place quickly and you can brawl.
There are sniper ridges so the snipers can have fun but there is real cover so it balances. The ridges and buildings are nice for jump capable mechs to jump over and surprise someone. All in all it seems like a solid map.

#34 DaZur

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 7,511 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 23 March 2022 - 06:32 AM

So more matches under my belt...

Yeah, like everything in MWO (Or any online diddy) players quickly learn ways to "game the game". Not saying it's wrong per say, but it does suck the fun out of stuff.

That said, snipers gonna snipe... LURM'rs gonna lurn... brawlers gonna brawl...

You learn to overcome and adapt or rage-quite or cry on the forums. It's nature.

Still enjoying the map... Just now first thing I do is abuse the snipers (Do the same thing on HPG and Hellebore). LRMs have not thus far been an issue. The mid-range and brawling is intense.

#35 ShootterMcGavin

• PipPipPip
  • The Terror
  • The Terror
  • 70 posts
  • LocationSlam Diego, CA

Posted 23 March 2022 - 07:05 AM

I agree with most of what everyone has said. Have run ins down below that lead to cool brawls, but with the immense amount of sniper cover, you are constantly getting picked apart by wall snipers.

I appreciate the new map and Francois' effort... but let's hope if we are to get more rehashed fact play maps, we can get those in short order.

#36 ThreeStooges

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Howl
  • The Howl
  • 505 posts
  • Locationamc reruns and youtube

Posted 23 March 2022 - 08:51 AM

Max jump jets and full jj tree on it is nice. BUT if you don't have 4 or more jjs or any you're sniper bait.

#37 Novakaine

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 5,715 posts
  • LocationThe Republic of Texas

Posted 23 March 2022 - 10:22 AM

Was getting my potato bed's ready for planting and upon closer inspection I found the new map.
Posted Image

#38 DaZur

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 7,511 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 23 March 2022 - 10:39 AM

View PostNovakaine, on 23 March 2022 - 10:22 AM, said:

Was getting my potato bed's ready for planting and upon closer inspection I found the new map.

I call shenanigans... Looks photo shopped. Posted Image

#39 ScrapIron Prime

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,875 posts
  • LocationSmack dab in the middle of Ohio

Posted 23 March 2022 - 10:45 AM

View PostDaZur, on 23 March 2022 - 10:39 AM, said:

No, no... he meant the LONGBOW. Don't tempt us with mechs we'll never see! Waaaaah! Posted Image

#40 Novakaine

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 5,715 posts
  • LocationThe Republic of Texas

Posted 23 March 2022 - 10:46 AM

View PostDaZur, on 23 March 2022 - 10:39 AM, said:

You got me - actual potato beds.
Posted Image

6 user(s) are reading this topic