101 replies to this topic

#41 martian

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 8,228 posts

Posted 23 March 2022 - 10:49 AM

View PostNovakaine, on 23 March 2022 - 10:22 AM, said:

Was getting my potato bed's ready for planting and upon closer inspection I found the new map.

Unfortunately, the Longbow is not in MWO yet.

#42 TheCaptainJZ

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The CyberKnight
  • The CyberKnight
  • 3,664 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 23 March 2022 - 10:57 AM

I like the new map. It feels like there's adequate cover and all playstyles can make it work for them. Lights can try to push snipers. Snipers are only able to fight from the ridge but it's not easy to get to them. Smoothing the walls for snipers and adding rocks for cover on the approach would help. The few matches I had that night were actually more balanced than most but there were more active voice comms being used and seemed to be groups on both sides too.

One thing I never liked about this map was the sharp hills in the middle. It's unnatural to have them jut up so sharp like that. It was obviously designed as a wall. Might be interesting to flatten and smooth out the landscape so there's not actually a wall there, but it's still cover from the middle. Add some structures or rocks on the hill to break locomotion.

#43 Blood Rose

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 989 posts
  • LocationHalf a mile away in a Gausszilla

Posted 23 March 2022 - 04:32 PM

Whomever okayed this map needs to be removed from the design team and shot. The urban area in the centre is barely okay, and bar that there is almost no cover at all and two conveniently placed sniper/LRM boat ridges, and even the centre is no oasis, with anyone there required to hug cover or be torn apart by our ERLL and Gauss overlords whilst the sky darkens with missiles from which there is almost no cover.
Well done PGI, you've managed to make me whine about LRM's. Bad map.

#44 HGAK47

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 971 posts

Posted 23 March 2022 - 05:07 PM

People will get used to it as they do all maps. Yea granted it offers a lot for long range players but out of the few matches ive had on it so far, two of them ended up being great short to mid range fights. There seems to be enough cover.

If you are running a short ranged assault mech with tons of weapons but little in the way of range or speed then I can see why this map might not be your thing. The same could possibly be said for longer range builds on maps like Solaris city, I hear lurmers especially dont like that map. I tend to run mid range builds like light ppc`s (are lppcs midrange? sort of) and clan er-meds and honestly the map offers a lot more cover and options than Alpine peaks does for such builds so I am happy with the new map so far.

#45 1Exitar1

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 253 posts
  • LocationSomewhere in the Milkyway Galaxy

Posted 23 March 2022 - 05:16 PM

I have one minor complaint about the map: The colors are way too saturated! Tone those colors down a little bit. I'm not asking for dull. I'm asking not to have my eyes watering from looking at them.

This map definitely caters to the snipers and LRM lords. They can sit up on the edges and fire down on everyone in the middle. With the rocks the snipers can hide behind, they are pretty safe up there from shots from below. I played 1 match where the LRM boats go up on the edge on the F line and just rained missiles down on us in a continual rain. With the height of the ridge vs the height of the buildings you can hide behind, the LRMs can hit you just about anywhere. /end rant on LRMs.

#46 ScrapIron Prime

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,875 posts
  • LocationSmack dab in the middle of Ohio

Posted 23 March 2022 - 05:20 PM

The last two matches I had on the map were serious short range brawls. in both cases, the team set up in the rocks in E4 E5. nobody further away than F4 was participating in either fight. serious brawling.

#47 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,924 posts

Posted 23 March 2022 - 05:30 PM

it seemed brawly to me both times i played it. there are camp positions but most of the mechs were brawling.

#48 nanashi0110

Rookie

• Little Helper
  • 4 posts

Posted 23 March 2022 - 09:01 PM

I consider this map to be quite well done except for one problem.

Anyway, I'd like to see something done about the trees being in the way and the visibility being poor.

#49 Bowelhacker

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Hero of Marik
  • Hero of Marik
  • 922 posts
  • LocationKooken's Pleasure Pit

Posted 23 March 2022 - 10:41 PM

It seems a little lazy in execution. But I'm barely seeing it. When it does come up for voting I've only had it picked once out of maybe ten times.

#50 Beastbear

• PipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 51 posts

Posted 24 March 2022 - 02:23 AM

View PostBlood Rose, on 23 March 2022 - 04:32 PM, said:

Whomever okayed this map needs to be removed from the design team and shot. The urban area in the centre is barely okay, and bar that there is almost no cover at all and two conveniently placed sniper/LRM boat ridges, and even the centre is no oasis, with anyone there required to hug cover or be torn apart by our ERLL and Gauss overlords whilst the sky darkens with missiles from which there is almost no cover.

uhhh no. There's enough decent cover once you learn the map, however from the non ridge side it's gonna get boring and repetitive very fast. Put it about on par with the classic maps, in no time you will know exactly where to look/be, and sniper ridge will be a noob trap for poor match score or good baiters.

Edit: I caveat the above with 1 exception, being conquest. That will be light/med whack-a-mole before the team gets torn apart from the ridge while losing on points.

Edited by Beastbear, 24 March 2022 - 02:40 AM.

#51 ScrapIron Prime

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,875 posts

Posted 24 March 2022 - 03:07 AM

View PostBlood Rose, on 23 March 2022 - 04:32 PM, said:

“I’m gonna stand right here.”
BlamBlamBlamNlamBlamZAP thud.
”this map sucks!”

Or could it be that you were standing in the wrong place? Or standing there unsupported by your team?

I’ve had quite a few good brawls on this map thus far, you just have to learn where the rocks are.

#52 MW Waldorf Statler

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,459 posts
  • LocationGermany/Berlin

Posted 24 March 2022 - 03:35 AM

im seeing again the Love from PGI for impassable Giant Hills and Maze Style Maps now with a big open Sniper-event Mouse Trap in the Middle.flatten the Hills to rolling passable Hills thats give Cover

so looks more ideal to this Situation
https://civilwarmont...-of-the-crater/

Edited by MW Waldorf Statler, 24 March 2022 - 03:41 AM.

#53 Captain Caveman DE

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Carnivore
  • The Carnivore
  • 519 posts

Posted 24 March 2022 - 05:20 AM

first impression: haven't played the QP-map yet. howewer, it looks like a 1:1 snip from the FW-map,
which I played LOTS of times. so..

don't panic about the sniping folks; bring a brawler and have fun. midrange works too, but honestly, it's superbrawly.
looking forward to a few games on it.

#54 VeeOt Dragon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 1,131 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 24 March 2022 - 07:13 AM

so far it seems balanced enough with a small bias towards sniping/high ground play. the central area has plenty of cover though. still need to learn it since i haven't played Faction in many years (the toxicity was way to high).

i mean i would have rather seen a fully crafted one instead of a rehash of a faction map but its something else to play. i have notice a bunch of floating trees though and small graphical errors that make it feel rushed. i have yet to start on the Western side of the map though so i don't know much on that end. honestly i have only had one match that didn't end in the center brawling. a good thing even though i personally rarely use brawling builds.

#55 feeWAIVER

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,719 posts

Posted 24 March 2022 - 08:16 AM

After playing several matches on the map, I can say with confidence that its the players who are bad, not the map.
I've seen several counters play out against snipers. Base rushes, light rushes, and murder balls have worked.

The players were incredibly bad last night, including myself.

#56 ScrapIron Prime

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,875 posts

Posted 24 March 2022 - 08:19 AM

View PostfeeWAIVER, on 24 March 2022 - 08:16 AM, said:

After playing several matches on the map, I can say with confidence that its the players who are bad, not the map.
I've seen several counters play out against snipers. Base rushes, light rushes, and murder balls have worked.

The players were incredibly bad last night, including myself.

Agree, but this will work out over time once more people learn the map.

As I'm fond of saying, "didn't your momma tell you that you don't know if you like it until you try it?" And I know full well she didn't let you get off with just a single fork full of it. Posted Image

#57 pbiggz

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,686 posts
  • LocationOutreach

Posted 24 March 2022 - 09:44 AM

Every time there's a new or reworked map, the same people (who prior to, complained about how bad the existing maps were) complain that the older maps were perfect, and PGI is unqualified to change them and the new maps are terrible.

As though they think they can have their cake and eat it too. Give it a couple weeks, those same people will shut up like they always do.

#58 Aedryel

• PipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 28 posts

Posted 24 March 2022 - 12:15 PM

Been to a match where the entire opposing team huddled up on the terrace and methodically farmed us with their heavy/assault snipers, because apparently that's what the new meta is about. Fun.

Pretty much the only thing we could have done is to not push, but then again, the match would have degrade to a sniper range trade where the deciding factor is who has more snipers. So far I'm unimpressed, this map encourages such abusement to the extreme.

#59 ScrapIron Prime

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,875 posts

Posted 24 March 2022 - 12:18 PM

View PostAedryel, on 24 March 2022 - 12:15 PM, said:

Been to a match where the entire opposing team huddled up on the terrace and methodically farmed us with their heavy/assault snipers, because apparently that's what the new meta is about. Fun.

Pretty much the only thing we could have done is to not push, but then again, the match would have degrade to a sniper range trade where the deciding factor is who has more snipers. So far I'm unimpressed, this map encourages such abusement to the extreme.

I had two of those matches on the map so far. In both, we rounded up some volunteers and pushed one end of Potato Saw Hill. in one game we rolled them, in one game we didn't. All it takes is a team who would rather move than stand around and get shot... but that's snipers on any map, really.

#60 Blood Rose

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 989 posts
  • LocationHalf a mile away in a Gausszilla

Posted 24 March 2022 - 02:26 PM

View PostScrapIron Prime, on 24 March 2022 - 03:07 AM, said:

“I’m gonna stand right here.”
BlamBlamBlamNlamBlamZAP thud.
”this map sucks!”

Or could it be that you were standing in the wrong place? Or standing there unsupported by your team?

I’ve had quite a few good brawls on this map thus far, you just have to learn where the rocks are.

More a case of "Well im going to walk h-" shot from above
"Okay well what about h-" shot from above
"Okay well I guess ill try behind this buil-" shot from above but the other side
Anyone claiming there is workable cover on this map is on something good, its awful. There are very few spots between the galleries where you cannot be shot from one side or the other. But hey, its yet another map for the l33t sniper players to jerk off their e-peens over how 'skilled' they are.

6 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 6 guests, 0 anonymous users