20 replies to this topic

#1 1Exitar1

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 253 posts
  • LocationSomewhere in the Milkyway Galaxy

Posted 27 March 2022 - 10:01 AM

I have been piloting a Fafnir with 4 LB10X and got to wondering: Which is better? 4 LB10X or 2 LB20X?

My 4 LB10s have 7 tons of ammo and my 2 LB20s have 11 tons. The 2 20s is sitting at 89.7/100tns and that is with armor maxed.

In my opinion they both fight about the same except the 20s take a little longer to cycle shots.

Opinions?

#2 feeWAIVER

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,645 posts

Posted 27 March 2022 - 10:15 AM

4x LBx10 is better, just based in the principle of much better range and faster firing rate (more opportunities for a kill shot).

#3 w0qj

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Territorial
  • The Territorial
  • 3,435 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationAt your 6 :)

Posted 27 March 2022 - 10:53 AM

+1
FNR-5 with ECM + 4x LBX10 is fun, good firing rate & enough for ranged trades!

You can also try Dire Wolf with 2x LBX20 + 2x LBX10, but ammo is rather limited (especially on the DWF-C with ECM+JJ).
But again, it's fun ;)

#4 martian

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,894 posts

Posted 27 March 2022 - 10:55 AM

I would go with LBX-10s. In the current ranged combat, you can not be sure that you get close enough for Class 20 Autocannons.

#5 ScrapIron Prime

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,826 posts
  • LocationSmack dab in the middle of Ohio

Posted 27 March 2022 - 11:10 AM

And don't leave tonnage on the table. if you've used 89 point something of that 100 tons, that's a sign that you need to build it better!

#6 Kanil

• 1,067 posts

Posted 27 March 2022 - 11:35 AM

4x10 has about 75% more DPS than 2x20. It's vastly superior. It also weighs 16 tons more.

So really, it depends on what you're using those other 16 tons for.

#7 JudauAshta

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 264 posts

Posted 27 March 2022 - 03:45 PM

for fafnir nothing beats the fun of DHG

#8 1Exitar1

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 253 posts

Posted 28 March 2022 - 06:20 AM

Thanks for the input! Looks, overwhelmingly, that the 4 LB10X are better!

I will have to give the DHG a try. I've never used a gauss before.

#9 JudauAshta

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 264 posts

Posted 28 March 2022 - 04:12 PM

View Post1Exitar1, on 28 March 2022 - 06:20 AM, said:

Thanks for the input! Looks, overwhelmingly, that the 4 LB10X are better!

I will have to give the DHG a try. I've never used a gauss before.

DHG is literally the only gauss worth using, others are weak while having all the usual drawbacks of HG

fafnir with dhg and med wubs drops lights in usually 1 or 2 alphas. everything else also takes major damage, only thing you gotta worry about is the can opener laser vomit builds.

#10 Akhri Mala

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 188 posts
  • LocationNew York

Posted 28 March 2022 - 04:20 PM

View Postw0qj, on 27 March 2022 - 10:53 AM, said:

+1
FNR-5 with ECM + 4x LBX10 is fun, good firing rate & enough for ranged trades!

You can also try Dire Wolf with 2x LBX20 + 2x LBX10, but ammo is rather limited (especially on the DWF-C with ECM+JJ).
But again, it's fun Posted Image

I very rarely run a DWF with x2 LBX20 and x2UAC20.
Very limited ammo.

#11 PocketYoda

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,136 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 29 March 2022 - 05:57 AM

4LBX 10s while ammo hungry is far superior to 2 LBX20s.. To be honest nearly every weapon is superior to AC / LBX20s.

#12 1Exitar1

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 253 posts

Posted 29 March 2022 - 10:35 AM

I tried using the DHG and just couldn't get the hang of it. I'm so used to hitting the fire button and having the weapon fire, that having to wait for a weapon to charge just seems wrong to me. I've gone back to the 4 LB10x build.

#13 feeWAIVER

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,645 posts

Posted 29 March 2022 - 10:54 AM

View Post1Exitar1, on 29 March 2022 - 10:35 AM, said:

I tried using the DHG and just couldn't get the hang of it. I'm so used to hitting the fire button and having the weapon fire, that having to wait for a weapon to charge just seems wrong to me. I've gone back to the 4 LB10x build.

One thing that might help you train your brain for HGR is to combine it with Er Medium Lasers.
Put them on the same button.. when the lases are done burning, the gauss will be charged and you can release.

#14 martian

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,894 posts

Posted 29 March 2022 - 11:04 AM

View Post1Exitar1, on 29 March 2022 - 10:35 AM, said:

Just do not give up and train your reflexes. Posted Image

#15 Escef

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 8,529 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationNew England

Posted 29 March 2022 - 02:34 PM

View PostKanil, on 27 March 2022 - 11:35 AM, said:

4x10 has about 75% more DPS than 2x20. It's vastly superior. It also weighs 16 tons more.

So really, it depends on what you're using those other 16 tons for.

DPS is often irrelevant. The peek-and-shoot style of play is the reason why. I love a good brawl as much as, or more than, anyone else. And a brawl is where DPS matters.

That said, the superior range of the LB10s makes them relevant for more of the match. The fact that they have better DPS for when things degenerate to a brawl (which does happen) is just gravy. The real question is how do you feel about secondary weapons? Quad LB10s is incredibly tonnage intensive, and leaves little, if any, tonnage for secondary weapons.

#16 Extra Guac

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Star Colonel II
  • Star Colonel II
  • 202 posts

Posted 29 March 2022 - 02:43 PM

View PostEscef, on 29 March 2022 - 02:34 PM, said:

DPS is often irrelevant. The peek-and-shoot style of play is the reason why. I love a good brawl as much as, or more than, anyone else. And a brawl is where DPS matters.

That said, the superior range of the LB10s makes them relevant for more of the match. The fact that they have better DPS for when things degenerate to a brawl (which does happen) is just gravy. The real question is how do you feel about secondary weapons? Quad LB10s is incredibly tonnage intensive, and leaves little, if any, tonnage for secondary weapons.

That's the wrong way to compare these weapons, imo. They're both brawling builds - if you're not brawling, then neither build is optimal. LB10's aren't very good for mid-range combat because of the damage spread.

4LB10 >>> 2LB20

You could run 2LB20 on something much smaller though, like a Thanatos, Warhammer, or Victor.

#17 Curccu

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 4,617 posts

Posted 29 March 2022 - 03:01 PM

View PostExtra Guac, on 29 March 2022 - 02:43 PM, said:

You could run 2LB20 on something much smaller though, like a Thanatos, Warhammer, or Victor.

And if we don't totally forget clan side NTG can take 3xLB10X and punch of SPLs which is nasty for 75 tonner.

#18 feeWAIVER

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,645 posts

Posted 29 March 2022 - 03:03 PM

Lbx 10 are very good mid range despite the spread. In a trade you can usually get 2-3 shots off, depending on cool down quirks and the speed of your mech retreating back to cover.
The goal for lbx isn't to win trades, as much as to target exposed structure and put targets down quickly.

For brawling, DPS isn't the main stat you want, otherwise something like a Jaeger DD would be called a brawler.. what you want is armor and structure, and a good burst and most importantly good heat management, so you can burst, twist, burst, twist, etc.
It's important that a brawler can continue fighting while their opponent is redlined with heat, otherwise you might as well poke and trade.

#19 Extra Guac

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Star Colonel II
  • Star Colonel II
  • 202 posts

Posted 29 March 2022 - 03:11 PM

View PostCurccu, on 29 March 2022 - 03:01 PM, said:

And if we don't totally forget clan side NTG can take 3xLB10X and punch of SPLs which is nasty for 75 tonner.

That's true. You can also put 2LB10's and 9 Micro Pulse Lasers on an Ebon Jag. The DPS is great, but it would work better on an armor-quirked mech.

Edited by Extra Guac, 29 March 2022 - 03:11 PM.

#20 Curccu

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 4,617 posts

Posted 30 March 2022 - 12:34 AM

View PostfeeWAIVER, on 29 March 2022 - 03:03 PM, said:

For brawling, DPS isn't the main stat you want, otherwise something like a Jaeger DD would be called a brawler.. what you want is armor and structure, and a good burst and most importantly good heat management, so you can burst, twist, burst, twist, etc.
It's important that a brawler can continue fighting while their opponent is redlined with heat, otherwise you might as well poke and trade.

It's combination of stuff, mostly for Jager it's weapon loadouts that force you to stare enemy, that combined with awful hitbox and EVERYONE knows it will run XL. So just pop other shoulder off and eez win.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users