800 HXP + 45,000 CBills = 1 Skill Point
PURCHASE SKILL POINTS
'Mech Experience Points
500 'Mech Exp + 25,000 CBills = 1 Skill Point
General Experience Points
500 GXP + 25,000 CBills = 1 Skill Point
Historic Experience Points
500 HXP + 25,000 CBills = 1 Skill Point

NO - We are changing the pricing to reflect the current goals of the game.

#2 PraetorGix

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Warden
  • The Warden
  • 735 posts
  • LocationHere at home

Posted 07 April 2022 - 08:37 AM

Ohh, those preview pics look interesting. Still complicated for new players but overall less nodes if I'm not mistaken? Promising.

#3 IronWolfPack64

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2023 Top 12 Qualifier
  • CS 2023 Top 12 Qualifier
  • 269 posts

Posted 07 April 2022 - 08:44 AM

Wait you can just get whatever you want without going through pointless nodes you don’t need? Not sure if I love this or if it’s too broken?

#4 Wormflush

• PipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 42 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 07 April 2022 - 08:50 AM

ok, nice to look at, but wouldn't it be an option to go RPG-like and just present a table showing each skill with the actual skill value and the max value in each row?

Like:
  • Skeletal Density: 3/10 --> 10,5 % (unlocked a max of 6)
  • Reinforced Casing: 5/8 --> 7,5 % (unlocked a max of 5)
Would also offer possibilities for less of a click-fest while skilling.

The only thing I thought was good in a certain way, was the need to diversify in order to max out certain skills. But AFAIK, not everybody thought this was useful in any way.

#5 ghost1e

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2023 Gold Champ
  • CS 2023 Gold Champ
  • 403 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationReigning World Champion

Posted 07 April 2022 - 08:53 AM

I am really excited for that skill tree rework :)

#6 FallGuy0815

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 152 posts

Posted 07 April 2022 - 08:57 AM

Quick note about the Colour-Coding in "Select Mech": While nice to see armor/ballistics/etc. in different colors, but all we really needed was a way to tell enhancements from Skill Tree apart from real Mech Quirks. The way I see it, it is still impossible to see if that +15 CT Armor comes from a quirk or a skill.

Really nice feature, but not the one everyone has been begging for all the years.

#7 HGAK47

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 971 posts

Posted 07 April 2022 - 08:58 AM

Looks good, the skill tree rework is a simple fix up with a small buff, im happy with that. Will be interesting to see what skills you can squeeze on a mech now.

#8 Beadhanger

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 115 posts
  • LocationBösensell

Posted 07 April 2022 - 09:08 AM

Pls don´t tell me you removed solaris for the event Q....

#9 Kodan Black

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 375 posts
  • LocationMassachusetts, USA

Posted 07 April 2022 - 09:11 AM

Does the event queue represent the only place you can do events? Are we no longer able to get them done via QP? Just wondering if the event queue will become a mess of people just trying to finish the event instead of actually play. Also, means that if you have a group of 4 and 1 needs to do an event you either all do event or that person has to play solo. Not sure how I feel about it.

#10 Flying Fox 333

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 198 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 07 April 2022 - 09:11 AM

View PostWormflush, on 07 April 2022 - 08:50 AM, said:

Would also offer possibilities for less of a click-fest while skilling.

Not sure if you watched the video, but they demostrated you could click the bottom node and all the nodes above get automatically selected.

I am liking the changes to everything so far, the coloured quirks will help alot as does the new font too. Improved legibility is always a good thing. I assume the font change was necessary to support the cyrillic alphabet for the upcoming Russian localisation?

Any chance the Leave Group button could be coloured something other than what the Launch button is. Perhaps red? Seems like a silly little thing I know. But will make that screen more intuitive for casual players.

#11 Vladokapuh

• PipPipPip
  • The Widow Maker
  • The Widow Maker
  • 55 posts

Posted 07 April 2022 - 09:14 AM

this will make a difference between 0/91 and 91/91 mechs even bigger, which is bad
considering that with this change our skill trees will be full of bad nodes that arent needed anymore, evrything will need new trees anyways, so you should have used this chance to reduce maximum amount of nodes we can use
while you are at it, remove the old clutter stuff from skill tree launch, convert all HSP and HXP to globals, it doesnt serve any real purpose anymore besides making a mess

#12 RabidBeagles

• PipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 34 posts

Posted 07 April 2022 - 09:23 AM

Good bye shock absorbance and hill climb!

#13 JadeTornado

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 220 posts

Posted 07 April 2022 - 09:28 AM

Would have been nice to see some hotkey to highlight default mech variant quirks, so we don't have to go to the store to check this.

#14 martian

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,762 posts

Posted 07 April 2022 - 09:37 AM

1. I like those colour-coded and grouped quirks.

2. It seems that the time-to-kill will go down in MWO.
Essentially, no matter what battlefield role your 'Mech has, you will be able to more or less disregard all skill nodes not relevant for your role and unlock only those nodes that will make your 'Mech more lethal. I guess that many players will start to ignore all those Hill Climbs and similar nodes.

#15 P H O T O N

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Wild Dog
  • Wild Dog
  • 119 posts

Posted 07 April 2022 - 09:40 AM

Thanks for the video! These development logs are a great way to interact with the player base - please keep it up.

My initial comments are as follows:
  • It would be nice to distinguish a 'Mech's quirks (in-built enhancements) from its skills. I can see this might not be best done by colour coding as you have introduced in the video (as the colour coding is done by armament type for example), but some way of seeing only the quirks would be splendid. At the moment one has to go into the store to see the quirks on an unskilled mech.
  • Regarding the skill tree. I personally really enjoy the richness that the current skill tree brings to the game. I love spending time optimising in the mech lab and embrace the compromises one needs to make to take a build to the next level. I'm not entirely against the simplified skill tree but it might not be to everyone's taste. Putting it another way, 'dumbing the game down' will take away what many enjoy in the game - that being complexity. As the player base for MWO is on the more mature end of the spectrum, I personally don't think it will go down well. As a somewhat related example, over many decades Games Worskhop proceeded to dumb all of their games down which led to a mass exodus of the veteran players. I'm not sure the current skill tree scares new players away, but if the question is how to cater better for new players perhaps a better in-game description of the game mechanics (and the skill tree) would be better. If we're being honest, a lot of the game mechanics are not properly understood by the player base.
  • The event queue looks interesting and a good way to consolidate all game modes. Perhaps quick play should be in the event queue too? Be warned, providing too many game modes will stretch the player base thin.

Edited by Titan Prometheus, 07 April 2022 - 09:58 AM.

#16 minnowzzz

• PipPipPip
  • The Stryker
  • The Stryker
  • 60 posts

Posted 07 April 2022 - 09:44 AM

View PostBeadhanger, on 07 April 2022 - 09:08 AM, said:

They been saying for a bit that Solaris is going. it's a failed mode from the devs POV as a VAST minority of players play it.

#17 yrrot

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 221 posts

View PostFallGuy0815, on 07 April 2022 - 08:57 AM, said:

Quick note about the Colour-Coding in "Select Mech": While nice to see armor/ballistics/etc. in different colors, but all we really needed was a way to tell enhancements from Skill Tree apart from real Mech Quirks. The way I see it, it is still impossible to see if that +15 CT Armor comes from a quirk or a skill.

Really nice feature, but not the one everyone has been begging for all the years.

From what I understand from Matt's comments while he was talking to NGNG, the UI doesn't get a breakdown by source--just some compressed file of total bonuses. Sounds like splitting it out was too much of a can of worms to fit into their update.

But we should keep asking for it, since it'd be super handy to have it shown somehow in the mechlab.

#18 Horseman

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 4,701 posts
  • LocationPoland

View PostWormflush, on 07 April 2022 - 08:50 AM, said:

The only thing I thought was good in a certain way, was the need to diversify in order to max out certain skills. But AFAIK, not everybody thought this was useful in any way.
I think there's a way to do that still, through requiring spending X points in other categories of the tree before unlocking certain nodes.

View PostBeadhanger, on 07 April 2022 - 09:08 AM, said:

It does look like it.

View PostKodan Black, on 07 April 2022 - 09:11 AM, said:

Does the event queue represent the only place you can do events? Are we no longer able to get them done via QP?
From what I understand, the queue is for events that use specific modes, maps or gameplay modifiers. Some event goals may use this queue exclusively, but it's not an absolute restriction as far as I understand.

#19 Nightbird

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The God of Death
  • The God of Death
  • 7,518 posts

Posted 07 April 2022 - 09:45 AM

I would have preferred give and take customization with bigger bonuses, but that's just me...

Some examples:

Node: Range + 2%, Heat + 1% (5 nodes)
Node: Range + 2%, Cooldown - 1% (5 nodes)
Node: Heat - 2%, Cool Down - 2% (4 nodes)
Node: Heat - 2%, Range - 3% (4 nodes)
Node: Cool down + 2%, Range - 3% (5 nodes)
Node: Cool down + 2%, Heat + 2% (5 nodes)
Node: Velocity +5%, Cool Down - 2% (2 nodes)
Node: Velocity +5%, Range - 3% (2 nodes)
Node: Velocity +5%, Heat + 2% (2 nodes)

Node: Armor + 2%, Accel/Decel - 2% (5 nodes) adjusted for tonnage
Node: Armor + 2%, Turn/Twist - 2% (5 nodes)
Node: Structure + 4%, Accel/Decel - 2% (5 nodes) adjusted for tonnage
Node: Structure + 4%, Turn/Twist - 2% (5 nodes)

Node: Accel/Decel+ 4%, Armor - 1% (5 nodes) armor modifier cannot be lower than 0%
Node: Accel/Decel + 4%, Structure - 2% (5 nodes) structure modifier cannot be lower than 0%
Node: Top Speed + 1%, Accel/Decel - 5% (5 nodes)
Node: Top Speed + 1%, Armor/Structure - 1/2% (5 nodes)

etc etc... If you screw up with your nodes you can end up where you started but you have much greater choice not only by chosing which bonuses you want but also which penalties you're willing to exchange.

Edited by Nightbird, 07 April 2022 - 10:33 AM.

#20 MechWpnsTech

• PipPipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • 68 posts

Posted 07 April 2022 - 09:48 AM

3 years to get to this point, is way too damn long, and it is why so many players left the game,
this tbd ( to be determined ) crap needs info asap....not weeks or months ahead...
where and what is to be the Easter event? or is it still a april fools joke that the corgi is it....
is there any chance of new mechs? not just new versions of previous mechs but actual mech types? beyond the crusader....something beyond the current time line...

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users