Why Do People Love Urbies?

80 replies to this topic

#21 RockmachinE

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,138 posts

Posted 20 April 2022 - 05:05 AM

They're mediocre mechs at best. In terms of functionality there's lights and mediums that outperform them and do anything an urban mech can do, but better. Except the torso twist, which is their only redeeming quality.

Having said that of course you can make them work, but at the same time you can make a lot of builds/mechs work in mwo if you use them correctly and play smart.

Its more of a fanboy/preference then a functionality thing. I personally think they're ****, I want to ues them, but I just don't like them. The 360 torso can be fun, but the mech itself is nothing to write home about.

#22 TheCaptainJZ

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The CyberKnight
  • The CyberKnight
  • 3,677 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 20 April 2022 - 05:13 AM

The Urbanmech's appeal isn't really because of MWO. It is the classic "underdog" of the Battletech universe. In lore, as I understand it, it was super common because it was dirt cheap. It was given to novice pilots and was something of a death trap, not to mention it looks like a trash can. It was used mainly in urban areas where speed wasn't important and was fielded by all Houses and especially pirates or other Periphery groups.
In MWO, it's actually been buffed a lot to make it not only viable but actually competitive because of it's small size, a reasonable engine cap, and high armor quirks.

#23 Teenage Mutant Ninja Urbie

• The Tip of the Spear
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • 1,678 posts

Posted 20 April 2022 - 05:28 AM

View PostLouis Brofist, on 20 April 2022 - 05:05 AM, said:

They're mediocre mechs at best. In terms of functionality there's lights and mediums that outperform them and do anything an urban mech can do, but better. Except the torso twist, which is their only redeeming quality.

Having said that of course you can make them work, but at the same time you can make a lot of builds/mechs work in mwo if you use them correctly and play smart.

Its more of a fanboy/preference then a functionality thing. I personally think they're ****, I want to ues them, but I just don't like them. The 360 torso can be fun, but the mech itself is nothing to write home about.

you, good sir, need some serious butt-kicking by a K9 .. ;P

seriously though: every Urbie I own performs, except the newest one with 3xLPPC - though that might have to do with the mwo-environment atm.
every other Urbie does more than his share in every match. try them, they're fun.

Edited by Teenage Mutant Ninja Urbie, 20 April 2022 - 05:30 AM.

#24 Curccu

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 4,623 posts

Posted 20 April 2022 - 07:09 AM

Well yes if you take it like that noone should play other mediums than vapors and HBK-IICs or maybe Huntsmans on some brawl builds.

But I don't think there are many lights that actually outperforms them in what they are good at, some mechs have more firepower or are faster but they are well balanced on mobility (those JJs are huge part of that mobility), speed, firepower and durability.
also like I mentioned earlier hitbox is stupid good and they are pretty small, peek profile is also super small.

Again they work well but you have to play for their strengths just checked my stats with those builds I linked earlier... my average damages are between 450 and 500 for each build I'd say pretty good averages for light mech?

Edited by Curccu, 20 April 2022 - 07:10 AM.

#25 Moldur

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 2,234 posts

Posted 20 April 2022 - 07:16 AM

In addition to there being some pretty fun variants, consider that the community got them put in via constant nagging. It's like if instead of an April Fool's joke, the community managed to get it actually put in the game.

#26 GunRaptor

• PipPip
  • CS 2023 Top 25 Qualifier
  • CS 2023 Top 25 Qualifier
  • 21 posts

Posted 20 April 2022 - 08:34 AM

Because it's, in real world terms, one of the best designed mechs this game has put out. It's compact, it can swivel 360 degrees, and it's decently armed for its size.
In game terms, it's "a 30 ton assault mech." The Urbie is fun to play with a number of different loadouts, and it doesn't have any "bad" variants.

As for the claim you can't put any "good weapons" on it, think about this before you sell your UM-R63 from this month:

All things considered I REALLY want to see its big brother, the Imp, added to the game.

https://www.sarna.net/wiki/Imp

Edited by GunRaptor, 20 April 2022 - 08:37 AM.

#27 Escef

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 8,529 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationNew England

Posted 20 April 2022 - 08:40 AM

#28 TheCaptainJZ

• The CyberKnight
  • The CyberKnight
  • 3,677 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 20 April 2022 - 08:45 AM

The 360 degree spin sounds cool, but is not that useful in game. I'd love to be able to walk around and shoot behind me but you can't do that in 1st person because you can't see what you're running into, and 3rd person is gimped. Great for MechAssault though.

#29 CFC Conky

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,831 posts
  • LocationThe PSR basement.

Posted 20 April 2022 - 09:06 AM

I just play it as a faster IS medium.

Good hunting,
CFC Conky

#30 chaosshade2638

• PipPipPip
  • The Predator
  • The Predator
  • 98 posts
  • LocationAround

Posted 20 April 2022 - 09:30 AM

View PostfeeWAIVER, on 19 April 2022 - 03:07 PM, said:

I just don't get it.
They're slow lights, and they don't have enough to tonnage to carry good weapons.

Clearly I'm missing something. Please enlighten me.

two words; Urbie Derbie

#31 Battlemaster56

• Pack Leader
  • Pack Leader
  • 2,869 posts
  • LocationOn the not so distant moon on Endor

Posted 20 April 2022 - 10:33 AM

Simple.

Urbie is god, Urbie is life.

#32 Vorpal Puppy

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 250 posts

Posted 20 April 2022 - 10:49 AM

Urbies are very versatile- good at corner peaking, hill humping, and jump sniping.

#33 Corbantu

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 103 posts

Posted 20 April 2022 - 10:52 AM

View PostTheCaptainJZ, on 20 April 2022 - 08:45 AM, said:

The 360 degree spin sounds cool, but is not that useful in game. I'd love to be able to walk around and shoot behind me but you can't do that in 1st person because you can't see what you're running into, and 3rd person is gimped. Great for MechAssault though.

Put some perks into torso twist speed and you can quickly look where you're going and spin back around quickly. I'm planning on upping my urby game after this month.

#34 Meep Meep

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,897 posts
  • LocationBehind You

Posted 20 April 2022 - 12:04 PM

An urbie with the armor nodes and a nice rack of weapons is a tanky little dwarven fighter. That new ecm urbie is just fantastic because that 10% ecm bonus is a lot more powerful than it looks.

#35 Vonbach

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 697 posts

Posted 20 April 2022 - 12:19 PM

View PostTheCaptainJZ, on 20 April 2022 - 05:13 AM, said:

The Urbanmech's appeal isn't really because of MWO. It is the classic "underdog" of the Battletech universe. In lore, as I understand it, it was super common because it was dirt cheap. It was given to novice pilots and was something of a death trap, not to mention it looks like a trash can. It was used mainly in urban areas where speed wasn't important and was fielded by all Houses and especially pirates or other Periphery groups.
In MWO, it's actually been buffed a lot to make it not only viable but actually competitive because of it's small size, a reasonable engine cap, and high armor quirks.

Its a surprisingly effective mech in a very limited role. That being urban defense. Its cheap, has high firepower and decent armor. In an urban environment it didn't need to be fast. Its also one of the most realistic designed mechs. Its short wide and had few moving parts to break. Also nothing is funnier that coring an Atlas with a light mech.

#36 B0oN

• 2,870 posts

Posted 20 April 2022 - 12:50 PM

Urbanmechs are the canon-ified Original Gangster, even Compton thugs adore this little beast ;)

Plus: What´s not to love about that 360° torso twist ... you gotta twist and shoot while you scoot <3

#37 C E Dwyer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,274 posts
  • LocationHiding in the periphery, from Bounty Hunters

Posted 20 April 2022 - 02:29 PM

Urbie's are like the kid you don't really want on your football team, but telling them no is like kicking a puppy.

#38 VeeOt Dragon

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 1,206 posts
  • LocationHell

Posted 21 April 2022 - 03:50 AM

i honestly love the Urbie, its the only light mech i play (mostly its because anything faster than about 100kph gives me a headache). i have 3 the UM-K9, UM-R63L(S), and UM-R63 (the R63 is the one i have had the longest currently running (3 MG (1 1.2t ammo), 3 LPPC, and an AMS (1/2t amm0) running an LE-170 and 4 DHS) keep in mind this build predates the new ECM Urbie and before the buff to LPPC and quirk passes ran an ER PPC and HMGs i call it the Annoyance Urbie)

honestly its a fun little mech. it can take a surprising amount of damage and still dish some out

also Lore wise nothing is better than an Urbie hiding in a bombed out building waiting for an Assault to pass before popping out and coring it from behind with an AC/20 (yes the stock original Urbie fielded an AC/20). though i prefer the versatility of the AC/10 and some backup lasers.

#39 Redinator

• PipPipPip
  • The Decimator
  • The Decimator
  • 62 posts
  • LocationRealm Of The Bloody Hangar

Posted 21 April 2022 - 05:08 AM

I don't like to play Lights that much, but omg i've had sooooo much fun and success in my R63 with 2 LPL (both in LT), a JJ and XL180 some years ago. Not sure if it still works on current meta.

The Urbie is unique (360° torso), feels special, is kinda cute and cool at the same time and it works for me on the field Posted Image

#40 RockmachinE

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,138 posts

Posted 21 April 2022 - 08:14 AM

View PostCurccu, on 20 April 2022 - 07:09 AM, said:

Well yes if you take it like that noone should play other mediums than vapors and HBK-IICs or maybe Huntsmans on some brawl builds.

But I don't think there are many lights that actually outperforms them in what they are good at, some mechs have more firepower or are faster but they are well balanced on mobility (those JJs are huge part of that mobility), speed, firepower and durability.
also like I mentioned earlier hitbox is stupid good and they are pretty small, peek profile is also super small.

Again they work well but you have to play for their strengths just checked my stats with those builds I linked earlier... my average damages are between 450 and 500 for each build I'd say pretty good averages for light mech?

Generally I don't have anything against Urbies, I just don't have anything for them either. I see all of your points and I agree, its not a bad mech by a long shot, but strictly from a MWO perspective it would be down to preference rather then performance that you would chose an Urbie. I run quite a few sub optimal, non meta mechs and enjoy them.

13 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 13 guests, 0 anonymous users