Does Mwo Support 5.1 Audio (Can I Hear Someone Behind Me)?

42 replies to this topic

#1 w0qj

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Territorial
  • The Territorial
  • 3,430 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationAt your 6 :)

Posted 13 October 2020 - 12:17 AM

1a) Just curious, does MWO support 5.1 audio headsets?
ie: Can I hear someone behind me?

1b) If so, which brand would you suggest to use for this purpose?

2) Sorry, tried to search this forum, looked in 4 different threads,
but all of them debated the merits of brand/bluetooth/wired issues.
These were outside of the scope of our question posted in (1a) above.

Edited by w0qj, 13 October 2020 - 12:17 AM.

#2 GuardDogg

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Fearless
  • The Fearless
  • 1,026 posts

Posted 13 October 2020 - 12:55 AM

I use the Corsair Void Pro surround. About 2 years now. It does Have 7.1, and I can hear all around in MWO, even behind. It is fun ambushing when powered down, can hear left or right, and behind when some mech is approaching. Although today, their is better quality headsets. But if I were to get another headset. Oh, I do have the Razer BlackShark V2 X Gaming headset on my wishlist. Did research. Not only for gaming, but music, and YT videos and making my own music.

Edited by GuardDogg, 13 October 2020 - 12:59 AM.

#3 Nightbird

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The God of Death
  • The God of Death
  • 7,518 posts

Posted 13 October 2020 - 07:04 AM

You don't need 5.1 or 7.1 to hear behind you in any game. 2.0 is perfectly fine. It's all about acoustics and math.

Test if your headset is working correctly with this video. There are probably better videos out there as well...

Edited by Nightbird, 13 October 2020 - 07:36 AM.

#4 VonBruinwald

• The Undisputed
  • The Undisputed
  • 3,460 posts
  • LocationRandis IV

Posted 13 October 2020 - 11:02 AM

View PostNightbird, on 13 October 2020 - 07:04 AM, said:

You don't need 5.1 or 7.1 to hear behind you in any game. 2.0 is perfectly fine. It's all about acoustics and math.

I came in just to ask that question, are 5.1 headphones just a gimmicky marketing thing for "pro-gamers" or do they do something you can't do with stereo; we've had full surround audio through headphones for decades.

View PostNightbird, on 13 October 2020 - 07:04 AM, said:

Test if your headset is working correctly with this video. There are probably better videos out there as well...

The classic:

#5 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,792 posts

Posted 13 October 2020 - 11:15 AM

im old skool and prefer quadrophonic.

can i afford quadrophonic? no*. and the wiring is a nightmare. my sound system consists of some side of the road speakers and one of those $10 chinese amplifiers. i upgraded the caps to something i found in a stereo from the 1970s.

* well thats not entirely true, i can afford 2 chinese amplifiers at only twice the price. but id need to find another pair of roadside speakers first and another stereo deck with an 8 track. and maybe spend $5 on speaker wire. there is bluetooth but analog has lower latency.

Edited by LordNothing, 13 October 2020 - 11:24 AM.

#6 GuardDogg

• The Fearless
  • The Fearless
  • 1,026 posts

Posted 13 October 2020 - 04:57 PM

View PostVonBruinwald, on 13 October 2020 - 11:02 AM, said:

I came in just to ask that question, are 5.1 headphones just a gimmicky marketing thing for "pro-gamers" or do they do something you can't do with stereo; we've had full surround audio through headphones for decades.

The classic:

LMAO!!..that is awesome audio. Like you are there. Entertaining.

Edited by GuardDogg, 13 October 2020 - 04:58 PM.

#7 Y E O N N E

• The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 16,810 posts

Posted 13 October 2020 - 05:23 PM

I would not call myself an audiophile, but I do appreciate decent sound. I would recommend getting yourself a dedicated microphone and a dedicated set of headphones. My current arrangement is a set of AKG M220 Pro headphones I got off of Amazon for $50, swapped the pleather pads out for $24 Beyerdynamic silver velour ones to embellish the lows and improve comfort, and then plugged it into a $70 FiiO DAC/Amp. My microphone is a classic Blue Snowball USB (not the ICE version) that I obtained for $70.

My audio is clean and crisp and well-balanced on a wide sound-stage with the bass booster on the FiiO turned on and zero additional software EQ adjustments. I can hear things in any direction in MWO and every other game. Nobody has complained about my voice quality.

Edited by Miss Greene, 13 October 2020 - 05:23 PM.

#8 VonBruinwald

• The Undisputed
  • The Undisputed
  • 3,460 posts
  • LocationRandis IV

Posted 14 October 2020 - 07:03 AM

View PostGuardDogg, on 13 October 2020 - 04:57 PM, said:

LMAO!!..that is awesome audio. Like you are there. Entertaining.

Considering this first came out mid-90's I again must ask.

Is there anything you can do with 5.1 headphones that you can't do with stereo?

#9 LordNothing

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,792 posts

Posted 14 October 2020 - 11:21 AM

id rather have 2 good full-range speakers than a bunch of little tiny single driver speakers scattered everywhere. the fact that i found them on the side of the road only adds to the awesomeness. i bet they were "upgrading" to one of those shoddy 5.1 systems.

Edited by LordNothing, 14 October 2020 - 11:23 AM.

#10 Fetherator

• PipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • 80 posts

Posted 16 November 2020 - 11:36 AM

Nobody did really answer your question....
I am curious myself and want to know if MWO is capable of REAL 5.1 sound.
And i dont want any chats about if it is usefull or not. True Suround is always a must have feature of any Action Game!

Maybe we should ask Daeron in his Future MWO Topic!

Edited by Fetherator, 16 November 2020 - 11:37 AM.

#11 Alreech

• Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 1,649 posts

Posted 16 November 2020 - 03:14 PM

View Postw0qj, on 13 October 2020 - 12:17 AM, said:

1a) Just curious, does MWO support 5.1 audio headsets?
ie: Can I hear someone behind me?

1b) If so, which brand would you suggest to use for this purpose?

2) Sorry, tried to search this forum, looked in 4 different threads,
but all of them debated the merits of brand/bluetooth/wired issues.
These were outside of the scope of our question posted in (1a) above.

AFIAK CryEngine 3.x supports 5.1 / 7.1 Sound.
I use a Creative Hyper 5 Stereo Headset and a Creative Sound Card with virtual surround sound, and I can "hear Mechs behind me". Still have to try if I can hear Mechs above & below Posted Image

To hear it you need either:
  • A 5.1 sound system with speakers & subwoofer/bass and a good sound card / amplifier
  • A good stereo headset and a sound card with virtual surround simulation
  • A 5.1 / 7.1 headset
Windows has a build in virual surround simulation called windows sonic:
https://www.techadvi...-sonic-3677284/

Many sound cards have their own virtual surround simulation (like Creative) or use Dolby Atmos or an other 3rd party solution for that.

"USB Headsets" are USB Sound Cards with fixed Headset. If you want a 5.1 or 7.1 Headset (multiple little drivers per ear) they are less hassle with the cable.

Good stereo headsets have only one, but big driver (40 - 50 mm) per ear with low resistance.
That's good if you have a good sound card, and terrible if your sound card generates low frequency noise due other parts of your PC.

If you need a sound card i would go for an external one: less risk of noise from other pc components, easier cable managment, volume slider / wheel.

#12 w0qj

• The Territorial
  • The Territorial
  • 3,430 posts

Posted 17 November 2020 - 05:58 PM

OK, I'm using a 2018 laptop with discrete GPU, so would it support these 5.1 Headsets when plugging into the 3.1mm audio jack?

Really confused about these USB Sound Card stuff...

Thank you in advance!

#13 Y E O N N E

• The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 16,810 posts

Posted 17 November 2020 - 06:06 PM

Windows has built-in surround emulation, IIRC. If you have a USB Digital-Audio-Converter and/or amp. you plug your stereo headphones into the 3.5 mm jack it has on it and then plug the device into the USB port and Windows will recognize it. You then set it to be the default audio output device, turn Windows Surround on for that device, and enjoy the sound.

Edited by Miss Greene, 17 November 2020 - 06:06 PM.

#14 Kotzi

• 1,356 posts

Posted 18 November 2020 - 12:01 AM

Best thing is to try each setting yourself. Everyone "hears" differently.

If you have a dedicated sound card and a decent headphone. Turn off everything "surround", in your sound card software, in windows and use stereo or headphone options in the games audio menu. Works for me pretty good but you need a decent sound card and some decent headphones.

If not, try either windows surround settings and turn of ingames surround settings if they are available and vice versa. You really only want one source to simulate the sound because if software A simulates and after that software B simulates it can be distorted.

Just turn everything off first and try each setting. You will hear the difference.

#15 Fetherator

• PipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • 80 posts

Posted 20 November 2020 - 01:19 PM

All u did explain is how to use Virtual Surround. That has nothing to do with true surround in Games. At least an 5.1 Setting is needed to have some Real surround feeling. Almost every old Game in the early 2000 era had true surround, but u had to put a Creative Soundblaster Soundcard or a similar Surround Soundcard in your PC-build that was supported by the game. After doin so u could hear sound direction immediately from where it had come from.
I wished i could say so in MWO. All i can hear is some difference in Left or Right Channel. And the Rear Speakers are filled by no true sound projection at all they just play the same sound as the front speakers. And Yes i did set my Soundcard to 5.1 Setting in Windows.

#16 Nightbird

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The God of Death
  • The God of Death
  • 7,518 posts

Posted 20 November 2020 - 01:36 PM

Sometimes you just need to clean your ears. The pair at the back of your head get neglected often, people focus too much on the pair at the sides. The top is hit or miss as well.

#17 Fetherator

• PipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • 80 posts

Posted 02 January 2021 - 12:17 PM

Found the answer myself.
All digital output u get from game is just Stereo, there is no Dolby Digital or DTS output that way. U can only output 5.1 or even 7.1 when u use analog out on your soundcard.
So what u need is to setup your soundcard in windows for 5.1 or 7.1 output, then u have to use at least 3 outputjacks to get front stereo, rear/side Stereo and center subwoofer. Also u will need an adequate soundsystem of course or a Receiver that is capable of 5.1 or 7.1 with analog inputs. If u wanna use optical output u can only get stereo support or u need a transcoding software to do the stereo to 5.1 conversion wich is NO real surround.

#18 General Solo

• Legendary Founder
  • 3,625 posts

Posted 03 January 2021 - 09:33 AM

5.1 works good on my analog sound card

#19 w0qj

• The Territorial
  • The Territorial
  • 3,430 posts

Posted 03 February 2021 - 08:48 AM

Does below device work with MWO?
It seems to work with Win10, and I'm thinking of buying a Razer 5.1 headphone, to hear someone sneaking up behind me!

www.techhive.com/article/3605448/helm-audio-bolt-dac-amp-review.html

#20 w0qj

• The Territorial
  • The Territorial
  • 3,430 posts

Posted 07 February 2021 - 07:56 PM

Does this device work with MWO?

It seems to work with Win10, and I'm thinking of buying a Razer 5.1 headphone, to hear someone sneaking up behind me!

Helm Audio Bolt DAC/AMP
www.techhive.com/article/3605448/helm-audio-bolt-dac-amp-review.html

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users