• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Territorial
  • The Territorial
  • 3,418 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationAt your 6 :)

Posted 16 May 2022 - 03:37 PM

I permanently turn "off" the Windows Defrag utility on my notebook computer with SSD.

No problems with extended use, with Defrag "off" on SSD!

As I speak, it says, "No optimisation for 319 days", and system runs perfectly!
(OK, I paraphrased above, but you get the idea...)

#22 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,784 posts

Posted 16 May 2022 - 06:21 PM

there seems to be a lot of hearsay flying in this thread (some of it is mine). so i actually took a look.

i opened the disk optimize tool on my win10 machine, it list both my drives, correctly identified them as ssds, and specifies a scheduled re-trim (not defrag) operation. handled correctly and automatically.

i also checked my win7 machine. and its less verbose. it does not specify the drive as an ssd (and its an older sata ssd) and it only lists the date of the last defrag. mine says simply "never run". so windows 7 is at least smart enough not to defrag your ssds. i do not believe windows 7 supports trim though. this is the default setting on both these machines. i never made any changes to the defrag policy.

trim flags flash cells for garbage collection. the way flash works you can only read write and delete a whole cell, you cannot change individual bits within a cell. so to write you need to delete the cell first which can slow down write performance. trim enables the flash controller to clean up the drive at idle, so writes always have blank cells to write to. not all ssds support trim.

and yes defragging an ssd is so stupid that windows wont even do it.

Edited by LordNothing, 16 May 2022 - 06:44 PM.

#23 Teenage Mutant Ninja Urbie

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • 1,678 posts

Posted 17 May 2022 - 04:29 AM

yup, a lot of bad ideas around here.

@OP but you know, you can always manually defrag or force the taskmanager to do so, if you like.
it won't improve your SSDs performance, but hardware stores around you will be happy to sell you a new one, sooner.

#24 Meep Meep

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 2,757 posts
  • LocationBehind You

Posted 17 May 2022 - 12:51 PM

The solution for the op is just to buy a cheap sata ssd and stick mwo and some other games on it or better yet make it the boot drive and give the entire pc a nice boost to responsiveness.

https://www.bestbuy....p?skuId=5715500

Edited by Meep Meep, 17 May 2022 - 12:58 PM.

#25 LordNothing

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,784 posts

Posted 17 May 2022 - 03:24 PM

running a modern os i think the defrag is managed on a schedule and done in the background anyway. if its smart enough to deal with ssds correctly, im pretty sure it can handle hdds.

i have to think that op's problem is elsewhere.

#26 Aidan Crenshaw

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 3,608 posts

Posted 17 May 2022 - 10:01 PM

MWO doesn't start slowly bc its files are fragmented. It starts slowly because the client always checks the online servers for the news splash screen and always downloads the pics for it.

#27 Seelenlos

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 550 posts

Posted 18 May 2022 - 04:30 AM

View PostMeep Meep, on 17 May 2022 - 12:51 PM, said:

The solution for the op is just to buy a cheap sata ssd and stick mwo and some other games on it or better yet make it the boot drive and give the entire pc a nice boost to responsiveness.

https://www.bestbuy....p?skuId=5715500

Meep Meep,

i have it on SDD (Steam), but the "Client" is on HD and there i see how fragmented it is.

Just as told, it could help some ppl, if PGI used the internal API to start the buildin-defrag of Windows on the new files ...

Regards :)

#28 LordNothing

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,784 posts

Posted 18 May 2022 - 05:03 AM

View PostAidan Crenshaw, on 17 May 2022 - 10:01 PM, said:

MWO doesn't start slowly bc its files are fragmented. It starts slowly because the client always checks the online servers for the news splash screen and always downloads the pics for it.

it does a lot of server fetch at start up that slows it down. i think this gets worse the more mechs you own. its not storage being slow. i have the game installed on a gen 4 nvme drive. its bloody fast, im usually one of the first ones to load the game. the slowness is the network fetch. if it was pulling from the ssd, it wouldnt take that long.

it would probibly be faster to cache data locally and do a hash check with the server, so it doesn't need to send so much data back and fourth. but i dont think pgi knows how to do that.

Edited by LordNothing, 18 May 2022 - 05:06 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users