Help Me To Blow My Mech Dollars

18 replies to this topic

#1 Reverend Flashback

• PipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 31 posts

Posted 28 May 2022 - 12:59 AM

I've got 2.5 k right now and they need to go.

Option 1: Sun Spider Ambush

I always really wanted to have a Sun Spider but never picked one up.
A couple of years ago the chassis seemed pretty great for a quad Uac2 build.
Nowadays it seems to be overshadowed by Ebon Jaguars in every possible way, except for better arm mounts. But those are still pretty good on Jaguars, so...
Really don't get why it didn't get any good quirks.
Also, two heroes to run a generic "if anything else fails to work" laservom build is bleh.

Option 2: Kit Fox Purifier + a bunch of mech bays

Would get this one for the torso omni pods. Pretty save pick i guess.
I love my Cougar Blood Adder (my favorite mech in the whole game) and Kit Foxes and Adders are the closest thing to it.

Option 3: Timber Wolf Warrant

Contrary to the Sun Spider, I actually never wanted a Timber Wolf.
But I decided to collect all omni mechs and having the hero is most of the time a good thing.
Not really sure if this hero is worth it though.
The other variants with a ct energy hardpoint seem downright better.

Option 4: The boring option

Spend everything on mechbays instead...

#2 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 17,070 posts

Posted 28 May 2022 - 02:16 AM

i just bought mech bays. purifier and ambush are pretty good. dont have a warrant, but seeing as its your typical mixed timby with nothing special going for it, just get mechbays and put cbill timbys in them.

#3 Reverend Flashback

• PipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 31 posts

Posted 28 May 2022 - 02:45 AM

View PostLordNothing, on 28 May 2022 - 02:16 AM, said:

i just bought mech bays. purifier and ambush are pretty good. dont have a warrant, but seeing as its your typical mixed timby with nothing special going for it, just get mechbays and put cbill timbys in them.

Yes, I think too the Warrant is most likely not worth it.
Thanks for amplifiying that opinion.

Why do you think the Ambusher is good?
I mean, yes it doesn't seem like a downright bad mech. But Ebon Jaguar does have kinda nuts ballistic and missile quirks while being able to run pretty much exactly the same builds and even more.
It's just that a Ebon Jaguar does not look like a big ******* mean murder Cicada lol

#4 FupDup

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts
  • LocationThe Keeper of Memes

Posted 28 May 2022 - 07:21 AM

For the Sun Spooder, the best way to run it is with the 2 UAC/10 + 1 ERPPC on the Vanguard with its set of 8 bonus. That is the SNS chassis' standout feature and it's pretty legit.

Most other Sun Spooder builds can be done on other mechs, but the SNS is at least a competent mech even if it's not an optimal or standout one. Compared to the Cauldron Born, you do at least have more missile hardpoints so SRMs are better on it (EBJ only gets like 1 missile hardpoint per limb). ECM too if you're into that sort of thing.

Edited by FupDup, 28 May 2022 - 11:49 AM.

#5 Zeddicuus

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Warrior - Point 1
  • 106 posts

Posted 28 May 2022 - 08:00 AM

I didn't have a lot of MC, so I bought 4 mechbays while they're on sale and a 100 GSP pack to help nudge along any new mechs I get to fill those bays.

Saving up CBills to start filling the bays, should take me a few months to get all 4 and the gear I want for them. By then, maybe they'll have more events so I have more MC to restart the cycle.

Not knowing how you play, I can't give a lot of helpful info besides go for what you want while the sale is on! If you like just playing the game to save up CBills to buy mechs, buy multiple mech bays! You love cosmetics? Go nuts and buy a few different paint colours or a camo for a favourite mech!

Edited by Zeddicuus, 28 May 2022 - 08:01 AM.

#6 LordNothing

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 17,070 posts

Posted 28 May 2022 - 10:51 AM

View PostReverend Flashback, on 28 May 2022 - 02:45 AM, said:

Yes, I think too the Warrant is most likely not worth it.
Thanks for amplifiying that opinion.

Why do you think the Ambusher is good?
I mean, yes it doesn't seem like a downright bad mech. But Ebon Jaguar does have kinda nuts ballistic and missile quirks while being able to run pretty much exactly the same builds and even more.
It's just that a Ebon Jaguar does not look like a big ******* mean murder Cicada lol

dual uac10 boat with good high hardpoints. whats not to love? and yes the jag can do a similar job. but thats the problem with a lot of the mechs in the game, for every cool mech you got 3 others standing in line for its spot. only thing i dont like about the jag is if you want to use the high ballistic hardpoints, it adds those upper pods to your geometry, which give well positioned targets an easy handle to your side torsos. just be careful in selecting your cover. but the jag does have versatile omnipods. the ambush can really only do one thing.

Edited by LordNothing, 28 May 2022 - 10:57 AM.

#7 Hobbles v

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Sureshot
  • The Sureshot
  • 354 posts

Posted 28 May 2022 - 12:00 PM

The warrant is basically just the hero bonus. The best timber builds are done better with the BH (set of 8 laser quirk), S (jump jet), C (CT laser) and Prime (5% heat disipation, warrant has this too) for Thier unique perks.

The ambush and purifier both provide unique and highly valuable omnipods. I would personally go with the ambush, as a purifier will be easier to get down the line through earned MC and all those mech bays will come very easily through events and faction play bonuses if you do that.

#8 Bassault

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2023 Gold Champ
  • CS 2023 Gold Champ
  • 392 posts

Posted 28 May 2022 - 03:27 PM

Sun spider hero isnt worth it unless you get the other hero as well so you can combine the pods to make a really good laser vomit mech.

The purifier I've heard nothing but good things about it.

The Katana kat with 4 light ppc is another option you should consider.

Sorry I got the warrant confused with the other hero timberwolf.

Edited by I LOVE ANNIHILATORS, 28 May 2022 - 10:38 PM.

#9 LordNothing

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 17,070 posts

Posted 28 May 2022 - 08:34 PM

View PostHobbles v, on 28 May 2022 - 12:00 PM, said:

The warrant is basically just the hero bonus. The best timber builds are done better with the BH (set of 8 laser quirk), S (jump jet), C (CT laser) and Prime (5% heat disipation, warrant has this too) for Thier unique perks.

The ambush and purifier both provide unique and highly valuable omnipods. I would personally go with the ambush, as a purifier will be easier to get down the line through earned MC and all those mech bays will come very easily through events and faction play bonuses if you do that.

i suspect the warrant is mostly for the lore warriors.

View PostI LOVE ANNIHILATORS, on 28 May 2022 - 03:27 PM, said:

Sun spider hero isnt worth it unless you get the other hero as well so you can combine the pods to make a really good laser vomit mech.

The purifier I've heard nothing but good things about it.

The Katana kat with 4 light ppc is another option you should consider.

Finally, I'd say the warrant timberwolf is the best option as you'd get the best solo queue mech in the entire game. Jumpjets, ecm, speed, armor and most importantly: ECM. You will be an invisible (because pugs cannot see you if there is no Dorito) fast laservomitter with good armor.

heh, i should try that. i honestly dont think im using either set.

#10 Reverend Flashback

• PipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 31 posts

Posted 29 May 2022 - 12:02 AM

Thanks to everyone!
I'll get a Purifier. The Ambush is (sadly) not worth it for me.
Kinda glad I opened this thread, because I was really close to ignore everything I thought about it.
It would have been a disappointment. I'm pretty sure.
The Kit Fox hero seems fantastic though.

Update:

Yep, it was a good pick.

https://ibb.co/G06zPp6

Those slow clan lights <3

Edited by Reverend Flashback, 29 May 2022 - 01:26 AM.

#11 Meep Meep

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,897 posts
  • LocationBehind You

Posted 29 May 2022 - 01:02 PM

The jenner iic fury is a great clan light. Fit it with a uac20 and two er meds and with quirks and skills you get a 500m optimal on both. Ammo quirks mean a measly three tons of ammo is now six tons too. Stick with the big boys and ream out distracted mechs with a few double taps of the uac. Alternately you can drop the two er meds and fill the remaining projectile slots with mg and stick some micropulse in the energy slots for a close range brawler but eh jenners are squishy even after the armor quirks and nodes.

#12 Horseman

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 4,736 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 29 May 2022 - 02:00 PM

UAC20 Fury? Ehh... you really want to take a Kit Fox for that, with -P left arm and -PRIME torsos and right arm. Gigaquirks ahoy.

#13 LordNothing

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 17,070 posts

Posted 29 May 2022 - 02:22 PM

i went ahead and said screw it and spent every last bit of mc on mechbays. i added another 13 to the previous 8 for a total of 21 bays. it helps that there are very few heroes i want that i don't already have.

#14 Reverend Flashback

• PipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 31 posts

Posted 29 May 2022 - 03:00 PM

View PostMeep Meep, on 29 May 2022 - 01:02 PM, said:

The jenner iic fury is a great clan light. Fit it with a uac20 and two er meds and with quirks and skills you get a 500m optimal on both. Ammo quirks mean a measly three tons of ammo is now six tons too. Stick with the big boys and ream out distracted mechs with a few double taps of the uac. Alternately you can drop the two er meds and fill the remaining projectile slots with mg and stick some micropulse in the energy slots for a close range brawler but eh jenners are squishy even after the armor quirks and nodes.

Ha ha, I theory crafted a similar build like a week ago.
Tried to get the most possible speed with a Uac20 and ended up with a Jenner IIC build at slightly above 120kmh iirc.
Going slower and adding 2 Med Lasers is most likely better though.

But oh boy, the Kit Fox with 6xErMed lasers is just nasty.
I had so many 900+ dmg games today I stopped counting. In one I even had 4 solo kills... Crazy.
And no, I did not get matched with new players as much as I can tell. Plenty of people with clan tags and known names.
(just in case somone is questioning my well deserved glory xD)

#15 LordNothing

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 17,070 posts

Posted 29 May 2022 - 03:58 PM

i still like the dual uac5 fury, built as a fast intermediate range sniper. fire until both jam and reposition. solves the glass cannon problem by putting some range between you and the enemy. clan has lots of other lights that are better at carrying uac20s, like adders.

#16 D o z e r

• PipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 45 posts

Posted 29 May 2022 - 06:05 PM

Get an Ice Ferret Rainbow Crow. It is something unique, fun and will be an incredibly useful asset. Not simply because it is an impenetrable fridge on legs:

- Pound for pound, one of the tankiest mechs in the game. Combined with its speed/agility, it has tremendous staying power.

- at 140kph with speed tweak, it is a fabulous scout/capping mech and will obliterate anything else that goes that fast. Grab a couple UAVs, stay undetected with your ECM, and rip around the map like a Fridge that just escaped the department store on boxing day!

- recently quirked into a superb 4 srm 6 brawler, with the cooldown quirk it shoots them like srm 4s.... a perfect loadout for a mech that can close fast and often ends up brawling mediums and lights

- it doesnt draw much aggro, most people are unfamiliar with how tanky and potentially dangerous it is.

- it has a natural camouflage, and looks like a friendly, innocuous fridge or possibly cooler. Occasionally I've stood still and had the enemy team attempt to store their beers in my reactor compartment!

- all of the above combine to make it a unique and fun mech to play, especially valuable to the team

#17 Meep Meep

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,897 posts
  • LocationBehind You

Posted 29 May 2022 - 10:14 PM

View PostLordNothing, on 29 May 2022 - 03:58 PM, said:

i still like the dual uac5 fury, built as a fast intermediate range sniper. fire until both jam and reposition. solves the glass cannon problem by putting some range between you and the enemy. clan has lots of other lights that are better at carrying uac20s, like adders.

The 'problem' with adders are no jj and low mounts. The fury has all the used mounts above the cockpit for hill peaking goodness.

Rof is the same too so you fire the uac and meds then click the uac again when its at half cooldown and you can get a pretty stout damage output if you are shooting stuff not shooting you. Thats like 106 damage if you don't get a jam over just a few seconds exposure time and you can do it all the way out to the 500 optimal.

Surprised a few mediums I ran into rounding a corner by coring them out before they knew what hit them and could start twisting. Jenners might be squishy but if you are good at not getting shot they can pump out some respectable damage.

#18 LordNothing

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 17,070 posts

Posted 29 May 2022 - 10:51 PM

View PostMeep Meep, on 29 May 2022 - 10:14 PM, said:

The 'problem' with adders are no jj and low mounts. The fury has all the used mounts above the cockpit for hill peaking goodness.

Rof is the same too so you fire the uac and meds then click the uac again when its at half cooldown and you can get a pretty stout damage output if you are shooting stuff not shooting you. Thats like 106 damage if you don't get a jam over just a few seconds exposure time and you can do it all the way out to the 500 optimal.

Surprised a few mediums I ran into rounding a corner by coring them out before they knew what hit them and could start twisting. Jenners might be squishy but if you are good at not getting shot they can pump out some respectable damage.

you need to use the cinder omnipods then you can get the gun off the floor. nvm i thinking the wrong build. the gun is in the arm. but stack the right pods and you get a 35% jam chance reduction and a 30% ballistic cooldown. not to mention double ammo quirks. supplement with some lmgs and an er micro laser:

adr-cn

the fury has no uac quirks. but it works for the mobility platform where you are doing hit and runs. the adder above is more of an in your face mech that can face tank assaults and win. it gets the nickname the dire kitten.

Edited by LordNothing, 29 May 2022 - 11:04 PM.

#19 Meep Meep

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,897 posts
  • LocationBehind You

Posted 29 May 2022 - 11:37 PM

I don't need the uac jam chance because I discovered during some testing that as long as you wait till the uac cooldown is at least a third of the way or more done it rarely jams. Jams seem to come almost exclusively from quick double taps. Dunno why I even bought the fury but it turned out to be quite the nice support dakkapewpew slinger once I figured out it can mount the uac20 with enough ammo to matter. I mean the adders are fine too but if I'm going to play a slowish clan light I at least want some jj.

5 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 5 guests, 0 anonymous users