Solution To Broken Lights/uselss Arm Hardpoints - Autoaim

31 replies to this topic

#1 PiVoR

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 107 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 02 June 2022 - 01:35 PM

Hello,

So i return to MWO after a year break and i see that lights are still an issue and meta builds avoid using arm hardpoints, so here is my suggestion:
How about an autoaim for arm mounted direct fire weapons? That could track lights running around you over and over, and people would be encouraged to use arm hardpoints finally.

What do you think?

#2 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,834 posts

Posted 02 June 2022 - 01:57 PM

you've come here to bury lights not praise them.

ever piloted a light around a pilot who is capable of aiming. your life expectancy is immeasurable. giving everyone that ability for free would break the class. but thats what you wanted, isn't it.

you want to hit lights, heres what you do.

1 stop moving. tracking a moving object from a moving object is a lot harder than tracking a moving object.
2 do not chase the light, use your range.
3 turn your mouse sensitivity way down, like 0.1 or something (or get a mouse with variable dpi).
4 take good aim, lead if you have to. i like to aim for hip level so i either get the leg or the torso.
5 follow through with your shot, especially if using lasers or burst fire ballistics.
6 shoot the light.
7 if the light is still alive shoot the light again.
8 if you cannot do this, then maybe streaks are for you.

#3 feeWAIVER

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,655 posts

Posted 02 June 2022 - 01:59 PM

People typically prefer torso hard points because they usually sit higher on the mech, and arms can be used as shields, and tend to get blown off.

If you want autoaim, look to streak missiles, although I don't recommend streaks.

#4 John Bronco

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Fighter
  • The Fighter
  • 966 posts

Posted 02 June 2022 - 02:04 PM

Great idea, but I'd also like an autopilot, I want to feel as unengaged as possible while "playing" this game.

#5 Teenage Mutant Ninja Urbie

• The Tip of the Spear
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • 1,678 posts

Posted 02 June 2022 - 02:12 PM

I'd agree that there should be some encouragement to take arm-mounted weapons.
they're iconic on so many mechs (see warhammers, also loki for ppcs etc), yet aren't used in mwo.

deleting lights via autoaim is one of the "wrongEST" way possible to do that, though.

#6 FupDup

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts
  • LocationThe Keeper of Memes

Posted 02 June 2022 - 02:18 PM

Besides mounting height, the arms on some mechs snap off like twigs even when you do armor them and you're not twisting all that much (like the Warhammer). Tougher arms on appropriate mechs would be nice.

#7 LordNothing

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,834 posts

Posted 02 June 2022 - 02:18 PM

arm mounted weapons are the ones you want to take on lights. you can aim now, instead of whenever your torso gets there. this is very good for taking out lights. you dont need them granted, but it sure is a nice to have.

#8 kalashnikity

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 494 posts

Posted 02 June 2022 - 03:17 PM

OP, I'll retort with "that is a terrible idea". You want to break the game?

What we need are arm mounted weapons that can be raised like a human lifting a gun, so an Atlas can raise up it's arms to fire the lasers... Not be forced to shoot from the hip. The torso gun will still have to fire from down low, obviously, but any mech with humanoid style arms should be able to raise them. So mech like a cyclops and kodiak, or even a maurader and kit fox will be able to raise their arms to a certain degree (based on their geometry).

You could have accuracy or heat penalties (make it like a less severe version of jump jet penalty) for it's use, so you don't break the game. It would deffinietly add some dynamic to suddenly have an atlas or anny that can hill hump, no worse than a jumping stealth atlas anyways...

#9 Nightbird

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The God of Death
  • The God of Death
  • 7,518 posts

Posted 02 June 2022 - 03:33 PM

Hello OP, you must come from table top (TT) where light mechs are just punching bags. MWO is a different game that strives for balance between classes. If you'd rather it perform more like TT, I can propose a solution from TT -> replace your pilot with one that has a better hit modifier. Cheers!

#10 Meep Meep

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,776 posts
  • LocationBehind You

Posted 02 June 2022 - 03:50 PM

Oh yeah like a built in autoaim wouldn't be abused immediately by the hackers.. If your eyeball mk1 and hand mk1 can't track moving lights then maybe this isn't the game for you. There is mw5 and the turn based battletech game for those with poor hand eye coordination.

#11 Rosarius

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 188 posts
  • LocationHervey Bay, Australia

Posted 02 June 2022 - 04:05 PM

Respectfully OP, I think the game you want to play is HBS Battletech

#12 Scout Derek

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 8,016 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationSomewhere where you'll probably never go to

Posted 02 June 2022 - 04:25 PM

Sir I think it's time to go play mobile games if you want Aim Assist.

#13 Movano

• Pip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 11 posts

Posted 02 June 2022 - 04:28 PM

Yes. Make arm mounts auto aim. I also want rear-firing weapons that auto aim for me, and I also want enemies that are spotted for me to give me the same to-hit modifiers so my machineguns can damage him from across the map.

Now if you'll excuse me, I need to finish eating my 2 liter bottle of Clag before it goes sour.

Edited by Movano, 02 June 2022 - 04:29 PM.

#14 Maximum Engine

Rookie

• Cadet
  • 4 posts

Posted 02 June 2022 - 04:31 PM

View PostMeep Meep, on 02 June 2022 - 03:50 PM, said:

Oh yeah like a built in autoaim wouldn't be abused immediately by the hackers.. If your eyeball mk1 and hand mk1 can't track moving lights then maybe this isn't the game for you. There is mw5 and the turn based battletech game for those with poor hand eye coordination.

How does a hacker exploit a game that has auto aim out of the box? Are they going to aimbot the aimbot?

#15 pattonesque

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,380 posts

Posted 02 June 2022 - 04:34 PM

just shoot the light dude

#16 Bassault

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2023 Gold Champ
  • CS 2023 Gold Champ
  • 378 posts

Posted 02 June 2022 - 04:43 PM

Can we have an auto queue, an auto positioning, and an auto heat management module added while we're at it?

#17 Meep Meep

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,776 posts
  • LocationBehind You

Posted 02 June 2022 - 04:48 PM

View PostMaximum Engine, on 02 June 2022 - 04:31 PM, said:

How does a hacker exploit a game that has auto aim out of the box? Are they going to aimbot the aimbot?

Because the op wanted an aimbot that only tracks lights? Would be a simply matter to hack it to target any mech.

#18 Hobbles v

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Sureshot
  • The Sureshot
  • 354 posts

Posted 02 June 2022 - 07:36 PM

View PostLordNothing, on 02 June 2022 - 01:57 PM, said:

you've come here to bury lights not praise them.

ever piloted a light around a pilot who is capable of aiming. your life expectancy is immeasurable. giving everyone that ability for free would break the class. but thats what you wanted, isn't it.

you want to hit lights, heres what you do.

1 stop moving. tracking a moving object from a moving object is a lot harder than tracking a moving object.
2 do not chase the light, use your range.
3 turn your mouse sensitivity way down, like 0.1 or something (or get a mouse with variable dpi).
4 take good aim, lead if you have to. i like to aim for hip level so i either get the leg or the torso.
5 follow through with your shot, especially if using lasers or burst fire ballistics.
6 shoot the light.
7 if the light is still alive shoot the light again.
8 if you cannot do this, then maybe streaks are for you.

Point 1 is wrong. Move in the same direction as the light. It effectively slows them down relative to you. If they're changing direction frequently, wait and pick your shot when they are on a similar heading to you.

The rest checks out.

Edited by Hobbles v, 02 June 2022 - 07:36 PM.

#19 LordNothing

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,834 posts

Posted 02 June 2022 - 07:48 PM

View PostHobbles v, on 02 June 2022 - 07:36 PM, said:

Point 1 is wrong. Move in the same direction as the light. It effectively slows them down relative to you. If they're changing direction frequently, wait and pick your shot when they are on a similar heading to you.

The rest checks out.

dance with the rodents if you want. im going to shoot them.

#20 Curccu

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 4,619 posts

Posted 02 June 2022 - 08:57 PM

Usually this kind of totally insane ideas come from potatoes that cannot play this game... not from 90+ percentile player who played over 150 games with lights last month.... Hard to understand.

View PostLordNothing, on 02 June 2022 - 07:48 PM, said:

dance with the rodents if you want. im going to shoot them.

But dancing makes it harder for them to take good shots on your back side and also if done correctly gives you more opportunities to get them into your firing arc.

View PostI LOVE ANNIHILATORS, on 02 June 2022 - 04:43 PM, said:

Can we have an auto queue, an auto positioning, and an auto heat management module added while we're at it?

But we have auto heat management module, most people myself included just override it as a first action when game starts.

Edited by Curccu, 02 June 2022 - 08:56 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users