#2 Bud Crue

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 9,933 posts
  • LocationOn the farm in central Minnesota

Posted 01 July 2022 - 09:55 AM

TLDR:

Main topic: MM is indeed broken (since the last patch) and they will be looking to fix it in the coming months (Q3). Also, someday, if they get the resources, they would like to do some development to faction play.

Edited by Bud Crue, 01 July 2022 - 09:55 AM.

#3 feeWAIVER

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,724 posts

Posted 01 July 2022 - 10:07 AM

I have a lot to say, but I'm on the toilet at work... So a couple quick words-

1. I want to nominate Nightbird to represent us for Matchmaker and FP discussion.
I can't think of anyone who's put more time and thought into those subjects.

2. Get Francois on FP maps asap.

I'll provide my own thoughts on FP later.

Edited by feeWAIVER, 01 July 2022 - 10:08 AM.

#4 w0qj

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 3,575 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationAt your 6 :)

Posted 01 July 2022 - 11:03 AM

May I nominate Youndu Udonta to take part in this FP discussion!
He's one of the premier FP players, and always helpful to the MWO community with lots of tips & guides!

#5 KodiakGW

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Jaws
  • The Jaws
  • 1,775 posts
  • LocationNE USA

Posted 01 July 2022 - 12:51 PM

Sounds like a lot of good ideas are cooking. Glad to see they were able to change things for Event Queue to come back without breaking the QP queue.

But, how much can we expect? I'm being told by people who think they know more about the programming that the only changes have been Flash front end stuff, and that the only CryEngine changes you can make are font changes and breaking the UI. Do they still have people who can do some significant CryEngine work?

Edit, forgot to add they added in their own TLDR on the announcement.

Edited by KodiakGW, 01 July 2022 - 12:52 PM.

#6 Thorqemada

• 6,378 posts

Posted 01 July 2022 - 02:06 PM

As i understand it the MM fix is supposed to come with the next July 19 patch.

#7 Bud Crue

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 9,933 posts
  • LocationOn the farm in central Minnesota

Posted 01 July 2022 - 02:17 PM

View PostThorqemada, on 01 July 2022 - 02:06 PM, said:

As i understand it the MM fix is supposed to come with the next July 19 patch.

That'd be great, but I listened to the video this morning and I don't recall anything in terms of a date being mentioned. Matt said, (paraphrasing here): looking into MM was planned to be a Q3 thing and Q3 is just starting. Happy to be wrong about this.

#8 Bowelhacker

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Hero of Marik
  • Hero of Marik
  • 922 posts
  • LocationKooken's Pleasure Pit

Posted 01 July 2022 - 03:15 PM

Facta non verba.

#9 Kotis77

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Star Colonel
  • Star Colonel
  • 253 posts

Posted 01 July 2022 - 03:56 PM

Its it impossible to make secondary matchmaking algorithm? that should be minimum to QP. The answer might be in one of the hundred podcasts, where they promises us the moon, but not gonna listen to any more "might happen or well have to check into that" for hundred of times in row

And how many times they have said they "might" fix FP?

#10 Thorqemada

• 6,378 posts

Posted 02 July 2022 - 05:16 AM

View PostBud Crue, on 01 July 2022 - 02:17 PM, said:

That'd be great, but I listened to the video this morning and I don't recall anything in terms of a date being mentioned. Matt said, (paraphrasing here): looking into MM was planned to be a Q3 thing and Q3 is just starting. Happy to be wrong about this.

Maybe we speak about different things - right at the beginning it is said the "fix" for the current matchmaker issues comes with the July 19 patch.

I guess that other stuff they speak about is more general changes that may happen later...

#11 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 17,076 posts

Posted 02 July 2022 - 06:08 AM

sounds like 90 days.

not that i care. when are we gonna get a tech bump?

Edited by LordNothing, 02 July 2022 - 06:09 AM.

#12 PocketYoda

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,138 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 02 July 2022 - 07:30 AM

I feel the match maker has been broken way longer than they are suggesting.

#13 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 17,076 posts

Posted 03 July 2022 - 06:31 AM

my guess would be from inception. its one of those things that sees pass after pass after pass and never seems to really improve that much.

i mean just look at all the things we "have to" have:

12v12
matched skills
protect new players
allow team play
provide high match quality
provide short wait times

i mean thats a perfect storm of cross purpose objectives. we really need to pare that list down to even have a chance. or at least do things smart, like allow groups but make skill stacked groups wait longer. or to do 8v8 during off peak hours. or reduce big groups in favor of more smaller groups. if i were to pick one to get rid of i think id do away with 4444. i feel like this is a class balance issue and not something that the mm should worry about. match quality is also hard to define, some might see this as preventing stomps. but i find it is possible to have fun in a brutal loss, and wins are not always good games.

Edited by LordNothing, 03 July 2022 - 06:42 AM.

#14 C E Dwyer

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,274 posts
  • LocationHiding in the periphery, from Bounty Hunters

Posted 03 July 2022 - 07:33 AM

Get the MM fixed.

I've no idea how many people are working on this, but I don't know of a company that would go, yup, we know it's gone to hell, it'll be fixed in the next patch cycle.

There would have been a patch inside a week.

Even if it required a temp roll back.

It also falls in place with the Protecting new players..some of the stomps both won and lost, will have a very negative effect on new guys..MM is shakey at best, because of the current low population. ZERO working, is going to drive new folks away.

#15 Nesutizale

• The Privateer
  • The Privateer
  • 3,240 posts

Posted 03 July 2022 - 02:01 PM

View PostC E Dwyer, on 03 July 2022 - 07:33 AM, said:

I've no idea how many people are working on this...

Basicly Matt seams to be the only constant trying to get any kind of resources from his boss and trying to do the XML stuff of teh Cauldron and coordination with Frenchman to make maps and do whatever his normal job is in addition to all of this.

That is at least my impression of what is going on. Frankly I am kinda impressed that Matt and Daron are still putting up with this fu....
Of all the people I respect them for trying to do something that seams to be impossible...move the game along against everything.

Edited by Nesutizale, 03 July 2022 - 02:03 PM.

#16 Nightbird

• The God of Death
  • The God of Death
  • 7,518 posts

Posted 06 July 2022 - 08:42 AM

I don't think they want to improve the Matchmaker, they just want to restore the pre-event queue quality MM.

#17 confracto

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 112 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 06 July 2022 - 09:08 AM

View PostNesutizale, on 03 July 2022 - 02:01 PM, said:

Basicly Matt seams to be the only constant trying to get any kind of resources from his boss and trying to do the XML stuff of teh Cauldron and coordination with Frenchman to make maps and do whatever his normal job is in addition to all of this.

That is at least my impression of what is going on. Frankly I am kinda impressed that Matt and Daron are still putting up with this fu....
Of all the people I respect them for trying to do something that seams to be impossible...move the game along against everything.

Your impression is entirely accurate. I left because putting up with won out over how much I love MWO.

#18 Papaspud

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 639 posts
  • LocationIdaho, USA

Posted 06 July 2022 - 09:29 AM

The MM has been broke since they let teams in the solo que, unless that is changed= there almost always will be an imbalance... when you have 4 top %ers on one team and 4 buddies messing around on the other= roflstomp almost everytime.

#19 TheCaptainJZ

• The CyberKnight
  • The CyberKnight
  • 3,677 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 06 July 2022 - 02:47 PM

The event queue now has matchmaker settings that are decoupled from quick play as of June's patch. However, another issue came up that limited groups. The fix on the 19th will decouple the max group size variable as well. It allows a 4-man or two 2-mans or a 2-man and a 3-man in QP. When they split the MM in the June patch, this setting was changed for the EQ MM not realizing it also affected the QP MM. This allowed groups of all sizes in QP. So after the 19th, the MM for both queues should finally be independent and can be controlled separately.

All this work so far is just to get the Event Queue working as intended. Now, this quarter, they have planned for investigating the Matchmaker and looking for ways to improve match quality in QP. I'm guessing this is really just limited to tweaking the variable they have access to, not a complete rewrite or anything but with all these recent issues, they understand the matchmaker a lot better (I don't think anyone has touched it since soup queue started). Event queue development has better exposed issues with the matchmaker.

#20 mytilus edulis

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 221 posts

Posted 06 July 2022 - 11:28 PM

View Postconfracto, on 06 July 2022 - 09:08 AM, said:

Your impression is entirely accurate. I left because putting up with won out over how much I love MWO.

Sorry to hear that. It's unfortunate you were not able to get the support you needed because a lot of the work you were doing was very successful in driving increased engagement and player population.

27 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 27 guests, 0 anonymous users