Daeron & Matt Talk Q3 - Matchmaker

33 replies to this topic

#21 mytilus edulis

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 221 posts

Posted 07 July 2022 - 11:00 AM

View Postconfracto, on 06 July 2022 - 09:08 AM, said:

Your impression is entirely accurate. I left because putting up with won out over how much I love MWO.

It's also doubly saddening the more I think about it, because I feel like you were instrumental in PGI turning the corner on their philosophy for driving player engagement.

Previously it felt like the strategy was to gatekeep gameplay variety and opportunity behind timesinks and purchases. Now it feels like variety and opportunity are provided with no prerequisites as incentives for timesinking and purchases. The end result is a lot more engagement, and hopefully more revenue.

Edited by mytilus edulis, 07 July 2022 - 11:01 AM.

#22 confracto

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 112 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 07 July 2022 - 11:37 AM

View Postmytilus edulis, on 07 July 2022 - 11:00 AM, said:

It's also doubly saddening the more I think about it, because I feel like you were instrumental in PGI turning the corner on their philosophy for driving player engagement.

Previously it felt like the strategy was to gatekeep gameplay variety and opportunity behind timesinks and purchases. Now it feels like variety and opportunity are provided with no prerequisites as incentives for timesinking and purchases. The end result is a lot more engagement, and hopefully more revenue.

A LOT of credit there goes to Matt. All the un-gating the past year has been his doing, and I was just cheering him on.

#23 Dauntless Blint

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Fire
  • Fire
  • 408 posts
  • LocationPlaying other games.

Posted 10 July 2022 - 06:19 AM

If they make Faction Play seamlessly auto fill buckets just like Quick Play so we're not waiting 30 minutes for everyone to sort their drop decks. The game is taking it's self too seriously at the point of trying to organise around huge wait times.
If those wait times exist it's a stillborn feature as we could have had two whole quickplay matches during that time.

As far as PSR groups are weighed the entire squad could weigh the same as the "best" player in that squad as they are under their leadership.
If not at least some equation that weighs more than the average PSR weight of the squad maybe?

IF they also unlock destroyed mechs from the previous match that would also help with wait times.

I still don't have faith in the balance of this game to take it to a competitive place. I'm just here for nostalgia.

And remember false confirmation bias.

I have some selfish things I want changed for my favourite assaults but not worth mentioning outside of they aren't what they used to be.

#24 Grumpy Old Man

• PipPipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 10 July 2022 - 07:50 AM

View PostBud Crue, on 01 July 2022 - 09:55 AM, said:

Main topic: MM is indeed broken (since the last patch) and they will be looking to fix it in the coming months (Q3). Also, someday, if they get the resources, they would like to do some development to faction play.

Okay, that explains a lot. I haven't played in over a year and came back on the weekend to see what changed. Played a few fairly unbalanced matches. Ran into a 4 person AND 2 person Team on the other team, no obvious grouped players on mine and remembered what caused me to quit. Haven't played a match afterwards.

#25 dubstep albatross

• PipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 60 posts

Posted 11 July 2022 - 06:28 AM

View PostGrumpy Old Man, on 10 July 2022 - 07:50 AM, said:

Okay, that explains a lot. I haven't played in over a year and came back on the weekend to see what changed. Played a few fairly unbalanced matches. Ran into a 4 person AND 2 person Team on the other team, no obvious grouped players on mine and remembered what caused me to quit. Haven't played a match afterwards.

Keep in mind that groups can often consist of players not in a unit or in different units. Just because you do not see an obvious group on the other side does not mean there is not one. Granted, a stack of the same unit tags can mean a well coordinated group, but often it also means inebriated memers in terribad builds living their best life.

I think the issue with the matchmaker is not that it is not balancing side-to-side (by whatever criteria it balances groups), but rather that it is not limiting the number of grouped (versus non-grouped) on teams in general. I could be mistaken, though, as I have only been half paying attention.

#26 SLxJoker

• PipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 37 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 11 July 2022 - 07:30 AM

I would rather PGI took all the time they needed to do a complete overhaul of the MM system in general.

But there are more issues, that in my opinion need attention, for an all-around better player experience for everybody.

#1 PGI, you should listen more to your fans/players instead of ignoring us. Some of us have great ideas out there. You can always use Your Forums for Polls to gather what your player/fan base would like.

Get rid of Teir/Ranks
Reduce the amount of loading screens.
Add a "Pilot Lobby" that a player can join rather than having to use 3rd party chats/ voice chat programs apps.
(Some players may not use them due to bogging down their PC or system....)
Work on improving voice chat in game
Start adding technology
Fix the Ques in general
Post forum polls to see what players would like for game modes and maps (not complicated PGI)
Have a Solo Que actually be Solo Que Free for All
Look into a Group Que for Groups
You can do Solo Que Team Deathmatch (many other games do this, why can't you?)
There is a lot here if you reach out to the player base
Invest in prevention of a Toxic Community

There is a lot that can be done.

The real question is are you willing to do it PGI?

#27 confracto

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 112 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 11 July 2022 - 09:46 AM

View PostSLxJoker, on 11 July 2022 - 07:30 AM, said:

I would rather PGI took all the time they needed to do a complete overhaul of the MM system in general.

But there are more issues, that in my opinion need attention, for an all-around better player experience for everybody.

#1 PGI, you should listen more to your fans/players instead of ignoring us. Some of us have great ideas out there. You can always use Your Forums for Polls to gather what your player/fan base would like.

Get rid of Teir/Ranks
Add a "Pilot Lobby" that a player can join rather than having to use 3rd party chats/ voice chat programs apps.
Start adding technology
Fix the Ques in general
Post forum polls to see what players would like for game modes and maps (not complicated PGI)

There is a lot that can be done.

The real question is are you willing to do it PGI?

Let me break this down for you more honestly, since I'm no longer at PGI.

Some people at PGI listen quite a bit, and well, others do not, but in general, Matt and Daeron have been doing an excellent job of it recently. Listening does not translate into action easily, and you don't get to see what happens between them. People behind the scenes might listen, and understand the need for a change, and work hard to make it happen only to be stopped by...any number of things, in a process that isn't, and shouldn't be public. It also takes a long time for things to happen, even very quick turnarounds on changes are about 2 months at minimum, which makes it hard to see from the outside that someone was plugging away on it the whole time.

I think using the forums and polls more is a good thing, and have used them myself as reference many times. I wish PGI used them more as well, and have shared that internally in the past. Also consider that often devs would read the forums without posting, especially when showing up in a thread can sometimes easily derail the discussion. It does leave people wondering how much that happens though. For myself, I wouldn't post much on my dev account in the forums, but there's a LOT of posts on there that I 'liked'.

Get rid of Teir/Ranks

Technically, PGI just did that. Mission Accomplished. ...in the Event Queue, where it won't matter much. Anyone paying attention immediately saw the consequences of this. It is obvious to see this would be a bad change, and leads me to question whether you're paying attention or just a troll.

This sounds great, but what does it actually mean? Investing heavily in bunch of highly technical work at reducing asset sizes and efficiency on a game that's been running for 10 years. What justification is there for spending extremely limited resources on this particular issue over others? It might make you feel better and save a bit of time as you play, but you'll stop noticing it in a month or two, and then go back to whining that no new features are being added.

You want an LFG voice chat hangout room? Because if you wanted to talk to team mates in the match, that already works, and otherwise I'm a bit confused. I'm aslo trying to figure out what you mean when you want to avoid 3rd party voice systems because they slow your computer down? That doesn't make much sense, as this game is now 10 years old, and apart from being single processor intensive, shouldn't be a problem. I'm running the same processor now as when I purchased to it play this game 10 years ago, and I have no problems with this whatsoever. You're going to have to be more clear here.

Ok. How? this isn't really a clear request at all. What's working for you? What's not working? You think you've communicated something here, but this is actually useless.

Start adding technology

Start? New technology has been added to the game several times already. If you're suggesting it happen again, yeah, that'd be nice, but again, extremely limited resources. I would have loved for light AC's to have gotten in with the civil war tech update, but they were a bit past the timeline window, and we had to consider how many things were already being added. The Cauldron is still pushing for them, and those at least could happen without new art, moving the idea from impossible to unlikely.

Fix the Ques in general

This forum thread started because of statements by PGI devs that this was starting to happen...so why are a you asking it?

There was a period a year and a half ago where PGI asked the community-at-large repeatedly about what they wanted to see from further updates to the game. As part of that, a group of community members who wanted to stay involved in giving suggestions and helping and being active was formed, The Cauldron. They remain active, and are involved in suggestions for current map development. So yes, it's not complicated, and it's happening.

Group Queue and Solo Queue specifically got turned off and merged into Soup Queue at the behest of players as a means of addressing their complaints about long wait times. The player population hasn't dramatically changed since, so I'm confused why you're asking for PGI to listen to players, while also wanting to undo some changes that fixed some pretty vocal player complaints about a system that wasn't working.

PGI never talks about community moderation, as policy. It's a good, and widely standard policy for a reason. Having seen some of it behind-the-scenes, I can assure you that prevention is happening. Personally, I wish it was happening with a firmer hand myself, but I also have nothing but admiration and respect for the hard work done b the GM's.

----

Honestly, after working through all that, the whole thing was hard to take seriously. There were so many complaints without context or specificity that they were basically useless. Others were decidedly in conflict with what's gone on, and on the whole it's hard to take posts like this seriously, and that's probably how this will be treated by my former colleagues. There's a very real disconnect between developers, who are communicating at the level of polite and clear work communication, as required of them, and players, who are just talking **** on the internet. Taking to devs like you're at work will go a long way to helping them understand your problems. It's not just their job to understand their audience, it's also your job too.

#28 BellatorMonk

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 617 posts
  • LocationWallet Closed PGI Knows Why

Posted 11 July 2022 - 01:40 PM

Either way I cannot wait to see some change. I left 5 years ago because the playebase and QQue were bad and come back to find out they are still broken and bad with lopsided games due to player skills and premades (both good and bad).

#29 SLxJoker

• PipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 37 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 11 July 2022 - 01:55 PM

View Postconfracto, on 11 July 2022 - 09:46 AM, said:

Let me break this down for you more honestly, since I'm no longer at PGI.

Some people at PGI listen quite a bit, and well, others do not, but in general, Matt and Daeron have been doing an excellent job of it recently. Listening does not translate into action easily, and you don't get to see what happens between them. People behind the scenes might listen, and understand the need for a change, and work hard to make it happen only to be stopped by...any number of things, in a process that isn't, and shouldn't be public. It also takes a long time for things to happen, even very quick turnarounds on changes are about 2 months at minimum, which makes it hard to see from the outside that someone was plugging away on it the whole time.

I think using the forums and polls more is a good thing, and have used them myself as reference many times. I wish PGI used them more as well, and have shared that internally in the past. Also consider that often devs would read the forums without posting, especially when showing up in a thread can sometimes easily derail the discussion. It does leave people wondering how much that happens though. For myself, I wouldn't post much on my dev account in the forums, but there's a LOT of posts on there that I 'liked'.

Get rid of Teir/Ranks

Technically, PGI just did that. Mission Accomplished. ...in the Event Queue, where it won't matter much. Anyone paying attention immediately saw the consequences of this. It is obvious to see this would be a bad change, and leads me to question whether you're paying attention or just a troll.

This sounds great, but what does it actually mean? Investing heavily in bunch of highly technical work at reducing asset sizes and efficiency on a game that's been running for 10 years. What justification is there for spending extremely limited resources on this particular issue over others? It might make you feel better and save a bit of time as you play, but you'll stop noticing it in a month or two, and then go back to whining that no new features are being added.

You want an LFG voice chat hangout room? Because if you wanted to talk to team mates in the match, that already works, and otherwise I'm a bit confused. I'm aslo trying to figure out what you mean when you want to avoid 3rd party voice systems because they slow your computer down? That doesn't make much sense, as this game is now 10 years old, and apart from being single processor intensive, shouldn't be a problem. I'm running the same processor now as when I purchased to it play this game 10 years ago, and I have no problems with this whatsoever. You're going to have to be more clear here.

Ok. How? this isn't really a clear request at all. What's working for you? What's not working? You think you've communicated something here, but this is actually useless.

Start adding technology

Start? New technology has been added to the game several times already. If you're suggesting it happen again, yeah, that'd be nice, but again, extremely limited resources. I would have loved for light AC's to have gotten in with the civil war tech update, but they were a bit past the timeline window, and we had to consider how many things were already being added. The Cauldron is still pushing for them, and those at least could happen without new art, moving the idea from impossible to unlikely.

Fix the Ques in general

This forum thread started because of statements by PGI devs that this was starting to happen...so why are a you asking it?

There was a period a year and a half ago where PGI asked the community-at-large repeatedly about what they wanted to see from further updates to the game. As part of that, a group of community members who wanted to stay involved in giving suggestions and helping and being active was formed, The Cauldron. They remain active, and are involved in suggestions for current map development. So yes, it's not complicated, and it's happening.

Group Queue and Solo Queue specifically got turned off and merged into Soup Queue at the behest of players as a means of addressing their complaints about long wait times. The player population hasn't dramatically changed since, so I'm confused why you're asking for PGI to listen to players, while also wanting to undo some changes that fixed some pretty vocal player complaints about a system that wasn't working.

PGI never talks about community moderation, as policy. It's a good, and widely standard policy for a reason. Having seen some of it behind-the-scenes, I can assure you that prevention is happening. Personally, I wish it was happening with a firmer hand myself, but I also have nothing but admiration and respect for the hard work done b the GM's.

----

Honestly, after working through all that, the whole thing was hard to take seriously. There were so many complaints without context or specificity that they were basically useless. Others were decidedly in conflict with what's gone on, and on the whole it's hard to take posts like this seriously, and that's probably how this will be treated by my former colleagues. There's a very real disconnect between developers, who are communicating at the level of polite and clear work communication, as required of them, and players, who are just talking **** on the internet. Taking to devs like you're at work will go a long way to helping them understand your problems. It's not just their job to understand their audience, it's also your job too.

Well, I see. I am glad you think my post was useless and you couldn't take it seriously. I am a Founding Member of MWO. I will no longer support PGI.

Thank you.

Good Luck Mechwarriors.

I'm out.

#30 BellatorMonk

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 617 posts
  • LocationWallet Closed PGI Knows Why

Posted 11 July 2022 - 02:50 PM

View PostSLxJoker, on 11 July 2022 - 01:55 PM, said:

Well, I see. I am glad you think my post was useless and you couldn't take it seriously. I am a Founding Member of MWO. I will no longer support PGI.

Thank you.

Good Luck Mechwarriors.

I'm out.

"Let me break this down for you more honestly, since I'm no longer at PGI."

#31 Kotis77

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Star Colonel
  • Star Colonel
  • 253 posts

Posted 12 July 2022 - 01:32 AM

View PostSLxJoker, on 11 July 2022 - 01:55 PM, said:

Thank you.

Good Luck Mechwarriors.

I'm out.

I think he replied you as serious as a person can. I would just say your post is rubbish and useless.

But fo reals match quality needs to be better. Without decent matches any improvements to the game is pointless.

#32 Sjorpha

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 4,477 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 12 July 2022 - 03:52 AM

View Postconfracto, on 11 July 2022 - 09:46 AM, said:

I think the reasonable version of this request is to make VOIP work in groups outside of matches.

Other than that I think MWO:s voice chat works fine, sound quality is ok and the settings allow individual tuning of volumes and selecting input/output sources and so on. No complaints on the functionality and quality in itself.

But it IS pretty annoying and weird that there is no in-game voice chat for groups between drops and I think the reliance on 3rd party software that this forces on groups/units creates additional unnecessary isolation between groups and solos in the soup queue.

If there was built in VOIP for groups there would be a natural transition into talking to the whole team in matches but now they tend to stay in their third party chat which leaves the team out.

#33 confracto

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 112 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 12 July 2022 - 08:42 AM

View PostSjorpha, on 12 July 2022 - 03:52 AM, said:

I think the reasonable version of this request is to make VOIP work in groups outside of matches.

Other than that I think MWO:s voice chat works fine, sound quality is ok and the settings allow individual tuning of volumes and selecting input/output sources and so on. No complaints on the functionality and quality in itself.

But it IS pretty annoying and weird that there is no in-game voice chat for groups between drops and I think the reliance on 3rd party software that this forces on groups/units creates additional unnecessary isolation between groups and solos in the soup queue.

If there was built in VOIP for groups there would be a natural transition into talking to the whole team in matches but now they tend to stay in their third party chat which leaves the team out.

^ Exhibit A of good feedback.

What to change is listed. Why they think it would improve the game is listed. Some detail about how they envision the new system working is listed.

#34 Sjorpha

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 4,477 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 13 July 2022 - 06:41 AM

View Postconfracto, on 12 July 2022 - 08:42 AM, said:

^ Exhibit A of good feedback.

What to change is listed. Why they think it would improve the game is listed. Some detail about how they envision the new system working is listed.

Thanks.

As for more detail how it would work it should just switch automatically.

If you're in a match and press the voip button you talk to the team just like now so no changes there, but additionally if you're in a group outside a match and press the voip button you talk to the group. Very simple.

It should also automatically work in the faction play lobby so the different groups and solos in a team can talk freely about dropdecks and tactics during the countdown.

Edited by Sjorpha, 13 July 2022 - 06:47 AM.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users