How's The Population?

18 replies to this topic

#1 Ihlrath

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wild Dog
  • Wild Dog
  • 373 posts

Posted 30 June 2022 - 06:35 PM

I have no idea how people check these numbers but queues are taking longer and I seem to see mostly the same groups over and over. Is that just cause of Tier or is the population getting lower?

#2 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 17,071 posts

Posted 30 June 2022 - 07:37 PM

about 20k

https://leaderboard.isengrim.org/stats

#3 Meep Meep

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,897 posts
  • LocationBehind You

Posted 30 June 2022 - 07:44 PM

Its about what you expect for a niche game and has been roughly stable for a while. I think we are lucky to have 20k active though with alts you can probably take about a third off that number. Either way solo queue times are pretty quick even late night once you get in the 'cycle' of people leaving and joining games. I think they could grow that number if they did a quick and dirty graphics overhaul of existing assets(mostly improving the lodding on maps) so that very high is actually very high for a modern system and not the 10 year old systems they designed the game for. That and a bit of marketing via their existing single player brands.

#4 caravann

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • 385 posts

Posted 30 June 2022 - 10:26 PM

500-1500 active players.

Faction play is fun, I don't see why resources are put on quick play.

Quick play is a team play with random people while Faction play is solo play with a team.

Solaris7 was made by aliens.

The game itself promote the player base to reduce in size to make the team play in quick play working.

I still don't know what "Not ready" means but people likes to press on buttons.

#5 Bowelhacker

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Hero of Marik
  • Hero of Marik
  • 922 posts
  • LocationKooken's Pleasure Pit

Posted 01 July 2022 - 03:22 PM

We used to get population updates after each Cauldron update I think, but they've not been doing that for a while?

#6 w0qj

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 3,572 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationAt your 6 :)

Posted 01 July 2022 - 07:31 PM

Jarl's List for MWO players June'2022 just came out... population is about the same, above 20k !

By the way, nice badge, "Hero of Marik"... ;)

View PostBowelhacker, on 01 July 2022 - 03:22 PM, said:

We used to get population updates after each Cauldron update I think, but they've not been doing that for a while?

#7 Bowelhacker

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Hero of Marik
  • Hero of Marik
  • 922 posts
  • LocationKooken's Pleasure Pit

Posted 01 July 2022 - 08:46 PM

There can't be many people stupid enough to pick Marik as their house of choice...

#8 PocketYoda

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,138 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 02 July 2022 - 07:33 AM

Seems a lot lower than 20k when i play..

#9 LordNothing

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 17,071 posts

Posted 02 July 2022 - 05:35 PM

that's because those 20k players are not playing all at once. to be counted as active i think you just have to play a certain number of games that season, and it might just be 1. however jarls gives another interesting stat, average number of games played per season. this is currently 93. if a game lasts 15 minutes then thats only 23 hours of play per player per season. so at any given time there are only 639 players online (rounding was very crude).

if i had stats on the average length of a game, that number would be a lot smaller. most games simply do not last the full 15 minutes. also some will be tied up in games when you enter the match maker. so the number of players the mm actually has to work with is vanishingly small, especially considering you need 24 to create a match.

Edited by LordNothing, 02 July 2022 - 05:43 PM.

#10 MrMadguy

• 2,209 posts

Posted 02 July 2022 - 09:11 PM

In a middle of this week, when I was trying to get last 2k MS, game was just unplayable. Long queues. Completely crazy matches.

#11 LordNothing

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 17,071 posts

Posted 02 July 2022 - 09:32 PM

View PostMrMadguy, on 02 July 2022 - 09:11 PM, said:

In a middle of this week, when I was trying to get last 2k MS, game was just unplayable. Long queues. Completely crazy matches.

lots of "duhhh, i forgot how to play" matches. i feel your pain. if people would just play normal instead of try to do whatever it is they are trying to do, they would clear the event faster.

#12 JC Daxion

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 5,230 posts

Posted 02 July 2022 - 10:39 PM

the game has been fairly consistent with pop at least during the prime time play zones. I'll check the numbers of steam and they are around 1k, a little above and a little bellow during the evening EST, say 6-1am, weekends get about that on sat/sun from 12pm-2am.. the pop clearly hauls in more for longer, but never really peaks any higher on average.

If your not playing during those times i can see pops tank down to 400-500, but that also doesn't include the launcher. I really wish people would just ditch the launcher and use steam to help bolster the numbers. there are plenty of people that would play a 2k-3k pop game over one they see at 500 fairly often. The game would be running far better at 5k people at peak hours verse 2k ya know? Bringing in new folks is a good way to do that.

Maybe they will work on some more community building updates like improved chat and guide/group mechanics.

Edited by JC Daxion, 02 July 2022 - 10:40 PM.

#13 DovisKhan

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 872 posts

Posted 02 July 2022 - 11:36 PM

Pretty sure people having trouble logging in is partly to blame, the game isold enough to have a stable fanbase, but as of last big update it's been a chore logging in, it's like you have to get lucky once a week or something, there's always some error as to why you can't log in and I'm sure I'm not the only one

#14 LordNothing

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 17,071 posts

Posted 03 July 2022 - 05:59 AM

it also doesn't help that one of the major dns providers recently had a huge outage. ive had to change dns six times in the last 3 months.

Edited by LordNothing, 03 July 2022 - 05:59 AM.

#15 ThreeStooges

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Howl
  • The Howl
  • 505 posts
  • Locationamc reruns and youtube

Posted 03 July 2022 - 11:57 AM

How to check pop for mwo:
1. Log in and try qp.
2. If qp match within 50 minutes pop ok.
3. If qp match over 150 minutes pop bad.

#16 Gasboy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 595 posts

Posted 04 July 2022 - 09:37 AM

SteamDB.info shows MWO hovering just under 1k during the week, and between 1k to 1.2k over the weekends.

I would guess perhaps 3x that on the standalone client (that's what it used to be), so we're maybe seeing between 3.5k to 5k during 'prime time'.

View PostThreeStooges, on 03 July 2022 - 11:57 AM, said:

How to check pop for mwo:
1. Log in and try qp.
2. If qp match within 50 minutes pop ok.
3. If qp match over 150 minutes pop bad.

What if it's less than 2 minutes? Pop excellent? 'Cause I've never seen it take longer than 5-ish. Who would wait 50 minutes, let alone 150? I'd log out and find something else to play.

#17 Meep Meep

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,897 posts
  • LocationBehind You

Posted 04 July 2022 - 01:15 PM

View PostGasboy, on 04 July 2022 - 09:37 AM, said:

SteamDB.info shows MWO hovering just under 1k during the week, and between 1k to 1.2k over the weekends.

I would guess perhaps 3x that on the standalone client (that's what it used to be), so we're maybe seeing between 3.5k to 5k during 'prime time'.

What if it's less than 2 minutes? Pop excellent? 'Cause I've never seen it take longer than 5-ish. Who would wait 50 minutes, let alone 150? I'd log out and find something else to play.

Faction players will sometimes sit in queue for a very long time especially if you are trying to drop solo. But for quick play even late night it usually only takes a couple of minutes to find a match and if you immediately reenter the queue and don't dally around the mech lab between matches you can get even quicker drops.

#18 Gasboy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 595 posts

Posted 04 July 2022 - 03:57 PM

View PostMeep Meep, on 04 July 2022 - 01:15 PM, said:

Faction players will sometimes sit in queue for a very long time especially if you are trying to drop solo. But for quick play even late night it usually only takes a couple of minutes to find a match and if you immediately reenter the queue and don't dally around the mech lab between matches you can get even quicker drops.

That has been my experience for the overwhelmingly vast majority of my games.

#19 w0qj

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 3,572 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationAt your 6 :)

Posted 04 July 2022 - 11:55 PM

Look around this very MWO Forum members posting messages; some their profiles are newly joined since 2020-2022...

And hopefully some of them would be enticed into procuring some of those nice premium mech packs... Posted Image

(By the way, I know that some new players have bought premium mech packs... and I've made a point of chatting with these folks, purchase or no purchase...)

Edited by w0qj, 04 July 2022 - 11:57 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users