128 replies to this topic

#1 Meep Meep

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,897 posts
  • LocationBehind You

Posted 14 July 2022 - 01:22 PM

Well it seems that snubs are the new play toy for a variety of mechs across the weight classes and I think thats overall a good thing. IS has been in need of a decent short range energy heavy weapon that its gunboat mechs could use. However it seems in their zeal to make snubs useful they got a bit over tuned. So what would you gents propose to reign them in a bit but still keep them useful on the mechs currently enjoying them.

To me the main offender is the weak ghost heat letting you fire three with ease so you can do 1 ~ 2 punches on the mechs with enough hardpoints. So to fix that greatly increase ghost heat so you can't pull those triple snub punches off in a row like now. For the other mechs that are doing well with two(ecm urbie etc) the main culprit there is heat so raise it a point or two. As far as the damage leave it as is to be an IS counterpart to the clan er ppc with its splash damage that has to sacrifice range to get the same damage output.

Your thoughts?

#2 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 17,070 posts

Posted 14 July 2022 - 01:37 PM

im just glad the damn thing is being used. is can now do the same thing the clans could always do, at many times the range.

#3 MechB Kotare

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 720 posts
  • LocationHuntress

Posted 14 July 2022 - 01:51 PM

Their splash damage should be removed. Other than that, im suprisingly completely fine with their current status.

#4 ScrapIron Prime

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,880 posts
  • LocationSmack dab in the middle of Ohio

Posted 14 July 2022 - 01:58 PM

More ghost heat. Simple.

#5 pattonesque

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,427 posts

Posted 14 July 2022 - 02:46 PM

a little less splash damage and a little more heat imo

#6 PsionicMantis

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 116 posts

Posted 14 July 2022 - 03:17 PM

I can agree with increasing ghost heat and heat in general for snubs. Firing 2 is basically an ammo free Ac20 with splash.

#7 feeWAIVER

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,724 posts

Posted 14 July 2022 - 03:18 PM

I think snubs are basically fine.
I don't think the splash is consequential.. if anything it's just score padding. I don't think the splash is turning the tides of battle.
The main shot is what secures kill. With 2 snubs, you're padding your dmg score by 100 for every 10 CT hits.

I think the standard heat is fair. Snubs are already shorter range, with a pretty lengthy cooldown, so more heat isn't needed.

I could agree the ghost heat could use a bigger penalty. I think that would be fair.

#8 Vorpal Puppy

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 250 posts

Posted 14 July 2022 - 03:35 PM

Add some ghost heat, but let's not kill off a decently effective brawling weapon for lights. The light queue is low enough as it is.

#9 Marquis De Lafayette

• CS 2023 Top 12 Qualifier
  • CS 2023 Top 12 Qualifier
  • 1,396 posts
  • LocationIn Valley Forge with General Washington

Posted 14 July 2022 - 03:35 PM

Some combo of splash damage reduction, heat increase, ghost heat increase, longer cooldown. I don’t have a strong opinion on which combo would be best, but I do think cooldown needs to be looked at as well as the other things.

Edit: maybe even velocity should be looked at. I don’t think velocity is a significant factor in targeting heavies or assaults. But an enemy team of even 1/3 high velocity pinpoint weapons builds makes running (non-giga armor buffed) lights more challenging just do to getting Insta-gibbed or insta-xl’ed (in IS lights).

Edited by Marquis De Lafayette, 14 July 2022 - 03:43 PM.

#10 Khalcruth

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Hero of Steiner
  • Hero of Steiner
  • 812 posts
  • LocationYou gotta lose your mind in Detroit! Rock City!

Posted 14 July 2022 - 04:32 PM

Absolutely nothing needs changing.

But tell you what. You can nerf our snub PPC's if and only if you nerf all types of clan machine guns at the same time.

#11 Ken Harkin

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 357 posts
  • LocationLong Island, New York, USA

Posted 14 July 2022 - 04:49 PM

Wait, I thought everything was all about large lasers being boated and poking.

Snubs are fine.

#12 pattonesque

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,427 posts

Posted 14 July 2022 - 06:13 PM

View PostKen Harkin, on 14 July 2022 - 04:49 PM, said:

Wait, I thought everything was all about large lasers being boated and poking.

Snubs are fine.

the mechdad credo is "whatever killed me last is overpowered"

#13 caravann

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • 385 posts

Posted 14 July 2022 - 07:13 PM

Ghost heat

Ghost hest is needed to prevent stacking. The gun itself is fine as it has upgraded unusable mechs.
Right now snub nose competes with ac20 as the gun takes less space and tonnage.

Other option is to reduce the damage to 9.5 this would make snub nose dealing damage of a heavy large laser
Right now snub nose is stronger than the strongest clan weapon. Clan energy weapons are weaker than IS because of snub nose.

#14 PocketYoda

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,138 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 14 July 2022 - 07:33 PM

Snubs seem fine imo, the alpha clan large lasers shoot you for over 9000 thats the issue..

#15 CFC Conky

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,831 posts
  • LocationThe PSR basement.

Posted 14 July 2022 - 10:05 PM

For me, today's snubs have made many of my 40t-45t mechs, especially those with jump jets, much more viable but not over-the-top meta. I'm leery of global nerfs to weapons because, to use a cliché, 'the cure is often worse than the disease'.

Is the issue the snubs themselves, or a few mechs that are overpowered when using them?

Good hunting,
CFC Conky

Edited by CFC Conky, 14 July 2022 - 10:06 PM.

#16 Nightbird

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The God of Death
  • The God of Death
  • 7,518 posts

Posted 14 July 2022 - 10:28 PM

View PostCFC Conky, on 14 July 2022 - 10:05 PM, said:

Is the issue the snubs themselves, or a few mechs that are overpowered when using them?

For the mechs that are OP using them, is that compared to other AVERAGE mechs or other OP mechs that already exist today?

I think people are using snubs more simply because it's new and novel, as they've never given snubs a look before because they were terrible. This game is very very stagnant, anything new will be overused for a while.

#17 Rabid Imp

• PipPipPip
  • Guillotine
  • Guillotine
  • 53 posts

Posted 15 July 2022 - 01:27 AM

Maybe it could be a PPC version of the LBX? Keep the current damage, but lower the pinpoint and increase the adjacent damage. I think it currently does 10 pinpoint, and 2.5 each side. How would 5 pinpoint and 5 each side do? like a PPC shotgun.

#18 Meep Meep

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,897 posts
  • LocationBehind You

Posted 15 July 2022 - 02:37 AM

I was suggesting 4+7+4 in a different thread on ppc pinpoint damage vs splash.

#19 Curccu

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 4,623 posts

Posted 15 July 2022 - 02:39 AM

View PostRabid Imp, on 15 July 2022 - 01:27 AM, said:

Maybe it could be a PPC version of the LBX? Keep the current damage, but lower the pinpoint and increase the adjacent damage. I think it currently does 10 pinpoint, and 2.5 each side. How would 5 pinpoint and 5 each side do? like a PPC shotgun.

Except with correct range you can put almost all of the damage (from LBX AC) into single component of enemy, specially against fatties.
With your proposal only 33% would go where you want it and that would make this weapon obsolete once again.

Edited by Curccu, 15 July 2022 - 02:39 AM.

#20 Saved By The Bell

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 709 posts
  • LocationJapan

Posted 15 July 2022 - 03:27 AM

Lrm them!

Unable to shoot? Throw stones in face!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users