Jump to content

Hibernal Rift


19 replies to this topic

#1 Ihlrath

    Member

  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 158 posts

Posted 23 July 2022 - 03:24 PM

Why is this map so popular? What am I missing here?

#2 CFC Conky

    Member

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 1,448 posts
  • LocationThe PSR basement.

Posted 23 July 2022 - 06:12 PM

Small map, quicker matches, heat-friendly?

Good hunting,
CFC Conky

#3 Escef

    Member

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 8,491 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationNew England

Posted 23 July 2022 - 06:30 PM

It's a cold version of Canyon Network, which is a map that enables a lot of different tactical options. While the fighting often focuses around the center of the map, there is still a high occurrence of significant combat elsewhere. It just produces more varied, more interesting matches... Oh, and it's cold, which makes hot builds easier to play. Seriously, a cold map has to be really bad for the player base to dislike it. (For example, original Polar Highlands, or Alpine Peaks. Both of which enable some of the least interesting play in the game.)

#4 PocketYoda

    Member

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 3,504 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 23 July 2022 - 08:01 PM

I don't get it either op its a terrible map.. as is Canyon, Grim plexus and Rubelite but they all seem super popular..




Nothing is worse than Alpine or Frozen city though..Posted Image

Edited by Nomad Tech, 23 July 2022 - 08:02 PM.


#5 Saved By The Bell

    Member

  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 397 posts
  • LocationJapan

Posted 23 July 2022 - 08:47 PM

This map, where coordinated group can easily and effectively destroy potato.

Nascar started, potato assaults die. Then die all potato.

And another case. Potato nascar stopped by solid fire, all potato walking near ship and die.

Edited by Saved By The Bell, 23 July 2022 - 08:48 PM.


#6 w0qj

    Member

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Crusader
  • The Crusader
  • 2,430 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationAt your 6 :)

Posted 23 July 2022 - 10:24 PM

Oh, is that what's happened?
Never figured it out ;)


View PostSaved By The Bell, on 23 July 2022 - 08:47 PM, said:

This map, where coordinated group can easily and effectively destroy potato.

Nascar started, potato assaults die. Then die all potato.

And another case. Potato nascar stopped by solid fire, all potato walking near ship and die.


#7 Ihlrath

    Member

  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 158 posts

Posted 24 July 2022 - 10:08 AM

I don't see how it encourages 'varied tactical approaches' as it ends up being a ring around the center NASCAR in the vein of old Canyon Network. There's also too few ramps to get up out of the trenches. It just seems to be a boring, dog doo doo map.

Granted, all fights in 99% of matches take place at the same spot these days. I'd love to see people actively try to do something different during skirmish matches.

#8 ScrapIron Prime

    Member

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,103 posts
  • LocationSmack dab in the middle of Ohio

Posted 24 July 2022 - 11:48 AM

View PostIhlrath, on 24 July 2022 - 10:08 AM, said:

Granted, all fights in 99% of matches take place at the same spot these days. I'd love to see people actively try to do something different during skirmish matches.


That happens when you drop with a lot of comms-savvy players. So... not often... but enjoyable when it does.

Speaking of which... plugging again for putting multiple domination circles on certain maps to breath more life into them... Polar, Alpine, Therma, Hellebore... let's use more than just the same spot on the map, please!

#9 RickySpanish

    Member

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 3,229 posts
  • LocationWubbing your comrades

Posted 24 July 2022 - 12:27 PM

It's more like classic Canyon than new Canyon, which was a crowd favourite. Plus it is snow, so people believe (wrongly imo) that it is somehow better?

View PostScrapIron Prime, on 24 July 2022 - 11:48 AM, said:


That happens when you drop with a lot of comms-savvy players. So... not often... but enjoyable when it does.

Speaking of which... plugging again for putting multiple domination circles on certain maps to breath more life into them... Polar, Alpine, Therma, Hellebore... let's use more than just the same spot on the map, please!


I sincerely believe putting a drop deck into QP just like EQ has would solve a lot of the issues with players not using all of the map. E.g. In domination Alpha and Beta generators become important when the timer gets low and killing all of one team's drop deck is impossible. What did you think of EQ?

#10 Escef

    Member

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 8,491 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationNew England

Posted 24 July 2022 - 12:41 PM

View PostIhlrath, on 24 July 2022 - 10:08 AM, said:

I don't see how it encourages 'varied tactical approaches'...


Encourages? No. Enables? Yes. Rift has a lot of ways to approach any given area on the map without being seen. I've seen fights on just about every area of high and low ground on the map. Alpine? Old Polar? Plexis? plenty of parts of the map get used so infrequently they may as well not be there.

#11 TheCaptainJZ

    Member

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 3,226 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 24 July 2022 - 01:00 PM

I think it's more about being "familiar" and knowing how to play on it.
I do wish some more ramps were added. This was actually PGI's first "fix" for canyon and the new canyon took some ideas from it and added more fixes. I think Francois should alter this map too less drastically and in different ways than new canyon, so it has a different feel. The main problem is the central area. Where the large ramps go up, they should have the same gradient going up on the other side so you could nascar left just as well. That might help the most.

#12 Quicksilver Kalasa

    Member

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Venom
  • The Venom
  • 10,987 posts
  • LocationKansas City, MO

Posted 24 July 2022 - 01:15 PM

View PostTheCaptainJZ, on 24 July 2022 - 01:00 PM, said:

I think it's more about being "familiar" and knowing how to play on it.
I do wish some more ramps were added. This was actually PGI's first "fix" for canyon and the new canyon took some ideas from it and added more fixes. I think Francois should alter this map too less drastically and in different ways than new canyon, so it has a different feel. The main problem is the central area. Where the large ramps go up, they should have the same gradient going up on the other side so you could nascar left just as well. That might help the most.

TBH, I wish they would've left Canyon alone because removing that cover from the central area just sucks. Hibernal also has a problem where they "fixed" a lot of areas mechs could previously get up making some spawns basically death traps. Hibernal is still the worst version of Canyon.

If they touch either, Hibernal needs more options to escape the various death valleys. Canyon needs to center pillars re-added because it too open. Both need to have death valley fixed (death valley is the C4/D3 valley that leads to the worst ramp to fight on. Death valley is just the worst spot to end up in and there really isn't a viable escape from it that really allows you to approach a better position.

#13 Tarteso

    Member

  • PipPipPip
  • The People's Hero
  • 79 posts
  • LocationSpain

Posted 25 July 2022 - 08:11 AM

Last nascar map still around.

View PostSaved By The Bell, on 23 July 2022 - 08:47 PM, said:

This map, where coordinated group can easily and effectively destroy potato.

Nascar started, potato assaults die. Then die all potato.

And another case. Potato nascar stopped by solid fire, all potato walking near ship and die.


This

#14 BellatorMonk

    Member

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 611 posts
  • LocationWallet Closed PGI Knows Why

Posted 25 July 2022 - 09:38 AM

Only thing about that map that needs to be fixed is the spawn point for the one side that gets a lance dropped in the "pit" on the leading edge of the reds Nascar starter line.
Almost every match 1-3 Assaults get chewed up in less than 90 seconds as they try and find a way up and out of the spawn point.

#15 I LOVE ANNIHILATORS

    Member

  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Decimator
  • 153 posts

Posted 25 July 2022 - 09:59 AM

It's Canyon Network without being sniped and LRM'd to death in the middle, so it's incredibly good.

#16 An6ryMan69

    Member

  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Deputy
  • The Deputy
  • 166 posts

Posted 25 July 2022 - 10:21 AM

It's small, simple, has good visibility, and cover but not clutter and its cold.

Why do those matter to so many players?

-Big maps usually means slow and we're all pretty ADHD and want to fight, smaller maps also minimize the practical difference between really fast and really slow mechs.

-Complex maps work against new or casual players, and notably enable ambushers/backstabbers, who everyone hates being killed by (even if you're a closet backstabber yourself).

-Poor visibility is awful and avoided by pretty much everyone, period.

- Clutter that a mech pilot constantly needs to be dodging works significantly against new or casual players, or those who are just chronically not great pilots, and again, favors the very best players who are the last people who need it.

-Cold is basically everyone's friend, cause heat management sucks, and...yet again...hot maps cause way more problems for poor players compared to great ones.

So, in summary, it seems its popular as it's a bit of an equalizer map. Tough maps favor the skilled minority; and the semi-skilled majority have enough to contend with on the battlefield without being beaten by the very maps they drop into.

Edited by An6ryMan69, 25 July 2022 - 10:41 AM.


#17 RickySpanish

    Member

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 3,229 posts
  • LocationWubbing your comrades

Posted 26 July 2022 - 05:55 AM

View PostBellatorMonk, on 25 July 2022 - 09:38 AM, said:

Only thing about that map that needs to be fixed is the spawn point for the one side that gets a lance dropped in the "pit" on the leading edge of the reds Nascar starter line.
Almost every match 1-3 Assaults get chewed up in less than 90 seconds as they try and find a way up and out of the spawn point.


When your team gets that spawn point, it is basically an auto-win if you go and help that lance. Reds never expect their push to be halted, and give up map control trying to attrite your Assaults if they can't crush them fast.

#18 Tarteso

    Member

  • PipPipPip
  • The People's Hero
  • 79 posts
  • LocationSpain

Posted 26 July 2022 - 07:18 AM

View PostRickySpanish, on 26 July 2022 - 05:55 AM, said:

When your team gets that spawn point, it is basically an auto-win if you go and help that lance. Reds never expect their push to be halted, and give up map control trying to attrite your Assaults if they can't crush them fast.


Unfortunately, counter-push moves are as rare as the counter-nascar (anti-nascar) ones. People just run ahead

#19 Napoleon_Blownapart

    Member

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 1,145 posts

Posted 26 July 2022 - 09:01 AM

I stopped caring about winning there or canyon years ago....

#20 Ekson Valdez

    Volunteer Moderator

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 544 posts

Posted 26 July 2022 - 09:40 PM



This topic was moved to the feedback section for Hibernal Rift







1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users