I Didn't Know This Was Possible

15 replies to this topic

#1 Maj Destruction

• PipPipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • 52 posts
  • LocationUS

Posted 01 September 2022 - 08:48 PM

Was playing Conquest just now, we were capping good but getting picked off. I was last one to get taken out, right after capping. Score was something like 700 to 450 or thereabouts. Instead of the other team's points jumping to 750 and the round being over, my spectator cam switched to cap points, and the game kept rolling. Our points kept climbing. We ended up winning.......with no survivors. Didn't know this was possible. Does it happen when the resource points are at a certain ratio?

Matt

#2 Nightbird

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The God of Death
  • The God of Death
  • 7,518 posts

Posted 01 September 2022 - 09:07 PM

When a team is wiped out, if the surviving team controls enough cap points such that ticking up normally would result in a win, the match auto-ends in favor of the surviving team. If the surviving team does not control enough cap points, they must gain enough cap points in the time remaining. If they fail in the time remaining, then the wiped team wins by reaching 750 cap points. This is likely if the surviving mechs are slow or legged, or wiped team is too close to a points victory.

#3 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 17,077 posts

Posted 02 September 2022 - 02:26 PM

other team simply thought they were playing skirmish and neglected cap. a valid strategy for aggressive players. i guess they weren't aggressive enough.

#4 Xeno Phalcon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 2,461 posts
  • LocationEvening Ladies

Posted 02 September 2022 - 04:32 PM

One of the reasons most people dislike conquest, and anytime you get it you know its cause some light with a 6x map vote hoarded is ready to blow his load.

#5 Maj Destruction

• PipPipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • 52 posts
  • LocationUS

Posted 03 September 2022 - 08:05 PM

View PostXeno Phalcon, on 02 September 2022 - 04:32 PM, said:

One of the reasons most people dislike conquest, and anytime you get it you know its cause some light with a 6x map vote hoarded is ready to blow his load.

Posted Image

#6 1453 R

• Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 5,563 posts

Posted 03 September 2022 - 10:10 PM

View PostXeno Phalcon, on 02 September 2022 - 04:32 PM, said:

Speak for yourself. I heccin' love Conquest no matter which weight class I'm driving. I'll vote for Conquest even in a Dire Whale. Only game mode worth a damn in all of MWO, because it's the only one that intrinsically punishes the Moron's Bumrush. Don't like Conquest? Get a bigger engine and leave the 25kph nine-autocannon Annihilators in the annals of history where they belong.

#7 Jun Watarase

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,504 posts

Posted 04 September 2022 - 01:10 AM

Conquest is the best mode simply because it forces players to move around the map. All other game modes just involve forming a static firing line and poke poke poke till the side with more/better gauss/ppc/LL (and ER versions of course) boats wins (usually after a very long and dragged out match).

Its much faster paced because theres a timer and teams start fighting in the first 1-2 minutes over a cap point. Nothing happens in the first 1-2 minutes on other game modes unless you have a group with you doing a wolf pack run or something because its all about forming a static firing line. Theres also a higher emphasis on mobility.

Take a map like River City. On every game mode except conquest, you just form the same firing line on both sides of the river and you get 5+ minutes of poking till one side loses enough mechs for a push to happen. On conquest, you start fighting for the side capture nodes in the first 1-2 minutes and if the battle turns into the usual stalled firing line match, fast mechs can go for a side point to shake things up and force the enemy team to move. Theres just way more options other than bringing the same meta alpha boats and forming a static firing line.

In QP particularly, the capture points serve as a huge "you should go here to fight" indicator for pugs and the timer forces you to move instead of spending the whole match waiting the other team out. Ever played a skirmish match on alpine where both teams are hiding on mountains firing at 1,500+ meters doing minimal damage with ER LLs? Its just such a waste of time.

I really miss the old game mode selector where you could choose conquest only.

Edited by Jun Watarase, 04 September 2022 - 01:14 AM.

#8 Crohnic

• PipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 88 posts

Posted 04 September 2022 - 07:06 PM

Conquest is by far my favorite game mode. It doesn't always work out as you can get a 12-0 stomp just as easily as any other mode, but it can offer some interesting scenarios - especially later in the round - that force decision making and strategy that you would not get otherwise. My preferred weight classes to play it are as a Medium or an Assault.

And the fact you can still win after losing your whole team is awesome.

View PostJun Watarase, on 04 September 2022 - 01:10 AM, said:

I really miss the old game mode selector where you could choose conquest only.

This

#9 An6ryMan69

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 495 posts

Posted 06 September 2022 - 10:49 AM

View PostMaj Destruction, on 01 September 2022 - 08:48 PM, said:

Was playing Conquest just now, we were capping good but getting picked off. I was last one to get taken out, right after capping. Score was something like 700 to 450 or thereabouts. Instead of the other team's points jumping to 750 and the round being over, my spectator cam switched to cap points, and the game kept rolling. Our points kept climbing. We ended up winning.......with no survivors. Didn't know this was possible. Does it happen when the resource points are at a certain ratio?

Matt

Yep, that's conquest.

You wipe out the whole enemy team, and have an entire assault lance still standing...and you lose.

Been there, done that; recently.

Worst game mode.

Edited by An6ryMan69, 06 September 2022 - 10:50 AM.

#10 1453 R

• Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 5,563 posts

Posted 06 September 2022 - 02:57 PM

View PostAn6ryMan69, on 06 September 2022 - 10:49 AM, said:

Yep, that's conquest.

You wipe out the whole enemy team, and have an entire assault lance still standing...and you lose.

Been there, done that; recently.

Worst game mode.

Maybe ya should've played Conquest instead of treating the game like Skirmish. Paid attention to the cap before it became a lost cause. Y'all knew the rules when you dropped in the mode. If you're going to drop in nothing but a sub-thirty KPH Annihilator with more autocannons than actuators that only ever works when the entire enemy team is in the same set of completely nonviable nigh-immobile overgunned under-everything-else'd Bullet Barges, you have no complaints coming when a game requires movement and decision-making, ne?

I have no issue with Conquest even in the slowest of assault 'Mechs. Mostly that means I take the Theta fight because there's always a Theta fight, or it means I decide before it's critical that we need to grab a point and I start trundling. Also often means that rather than chase squirrels, I park my obese metal posterior on a point and defend it rather than hare off after kills. One of my most memorable MWO games since returning last year was a game in my HLF-A where we dropped Conquest on Old Polar. Got on comms, started organizing the team. Sent people off to hit points, and I stuck on our base cap point because a high-speed stealth Raven was flitting around trying to back-cap us. Spotted that Raven three times, never quite managed to finish it, but it also never took my point. Did less than a hundred damage that game, spent the whole thing sitting there watching from afar - and yet my team won handily and without issue, and didn't have to chase a squirrel around half of Alaska.

Conquest is fun. Assault is lackluster, Skirmish is garbage, and Domination is actively offensive. Incursion had a lot of potential but didn't get the development it needed; if the maps had been built specifically for it, Incursion could've been excellent. Alas, MWO Problems: nothing in this game got the development it needed or deserved.

#11 PocketYoda

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,138 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 07 September 2022 - 08:04 AM

I think of all the game modes i hate conquest the most.. its just a pointless waste.

#12 dubstep albatross

• PipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 60 posts

Posted 09 September 2022 - 05:32 AM

View Post1453 R, on 06 September 2022 - 02:57 PM, said:

Conquest is fun. Assault is lackluster, Skirmish is garbage, and Domination is actively offensive. Incursion had a lot of potential but didn't get the development it needed; if the maps had been built specifically for it, Incursion could've been excellent. Alas, MWO Problems: nothing in this game got the development it needed or deserved.

I generally agree, with one caveat: skirmish can be my favorite mode when teams decide to use less-common parts of the map. Some of the most interesting matches (and fights) have occurred in perimeter grids or random places on maps that almost never see action. Most recently there was a match where it was basically a gigantic brawl in the narrows on the edge of Solaris. This was a part of the map I, in all my games, had literally never even strolled through.

#13 TheCaptainJZ

• The CyberKnight
  • The CyberKnight
  • 3,679 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 09 September 2022 - 05:56 AM

Without random spawn points or respawns, it's inevitable that "everyone fights in the same place on the map."

#14 martian

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 8,279 posts

Posted 09 September 2022 - 08:17 AM

View Postdubstep albatross, on 09 September 2022 - 05:32 AM, said:

I generally agree, with one caveat: skirmish can be my favorite mode when teams decide to use less-common parts of the map. Some of the most interesting matches (and fights) have occurred in perimeter grids or random places on maps that almost never see action. Most recently there was a match where it was basically a gigantic brawl in the narrows on the edge of Solaris. This was a part of the map I, in all my games, had literally never even strolled through.

I think that it is pretty ironic that the central caldera of the original Terra Therma map (i.e. the most played part of the original map) is never visited today. Posted Image

#15 ScrapIron Prime

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,880 posts
  • LocationSmack dab in the middle of Ohio

Posted 09 September 2022 - 08:50 AM

View Postmartian, on 09 September 2022 - 08:17 AM, said:

I think that it is pretty ironic that the central caldera of the original Terra Therma map (i.e. the most played part of the original map) is never visited today. Posted Image

Same. I miss that. We'll see what the redone map brings us. Hopefully more caldera fights!

#16 Zeddicuus

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Warrior - Point 1
  • 106 posts

Posted 09 September 2022 - 09:28 AM

At first I disliked conquest, but as I learned more about the game and remembered after a huge hiatus (since Mechwarrior 3 back in 2000!) how various equipment works, I've started liking modes like Conquest and Incursion more, as there is more to them than just having the biggest pew pew going on.

Got a nice little Incubus I love running around for Conquest. Maxed out speed, and put on decent weapons for back stabbing. Loads of fun!

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users