17 replies to this topic

#1 Necroconvict

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Shogun
  • The Shogun
  • 364 posts
  • LocationBaconville

Posted 04 September 2022 - 10:03 AM

I despise it more than incursion. So many pick it, then clearly expect others to go to the stain, why they sit outside snipe, or lrm, and yell at people to get in. when it's a 90% vote why is it only 2 mechs going in? I never vote for it.

Also is there a record for what type is voted on, not just the winner, but simply what is voted on? I'd actually like to see that I think. anyway that's all.

#2 Tromoskyon Rex

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Guillotine
  • Guillotine
  • 243 posts
  • LocationInner Sphere

Posted 04 September 2022 - 10:09 AM

View PostNecroconvict, on 04 September 2022 - 10:03 AM, said:

So many pick it, then clearly expect others to go to the stain,

Probably my lamest game ever 2 days ago, at the beginning of the game 2 enemy lights went to the zone and left shortly after. I stood in the middle of the zone completely undisturbed for 1:01 and won the game....

#3 feeWAIVER

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,724 posts

Posted 04 September 2022 - 10:14 AM

Only one person has to be in it, it doesn't have to be you.

#4 caravann

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • 385 posts

Posted 04 September 2022 - 10:17 AM

It's a challenge and the reason why who stand in the circle longest win. We're not really meant to defeat all mechs.
You have to work as a team since someone must stand in the piss pool.

#5 Nightbird

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The God of Death
  • The God of Death
  • 7,518 posts

Posted 04 September 2022 - 12:38 PM

People like domination because this mode selection gives short and med ranged mechs a counter to the poor design of long ranged maps. On those maps where snipers can set up by spawn, selecting skirmish means there is no reasonable way to win. You can charge through a gauntlet of long range fire and lose, or you can wait out the whole 15 mins and be bored.

Even if you bring a long ranged mech yourself, you don't know what your teammates are bringing in the vote window. You can still make use of a long ranged mech in dom, but if the other team has a 4 man with snipers, you can't do much by yourself on skirmish.

Therefore, whether by experience or by analysis, you vote for dom.

Edited by Nightbird, 04 September 2022 - 12:38 PM.

#6 An6ryMan69

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 495 posts

Posted 06 September 2022 - 10:58 AM

I think Domination is a good counter to having one idiot in Melee running around in a fast mech avoiding combat and dragging the whole match out to the last second, when it's clear he has lost. If it wasn't for that sort of thing Domination wouldn't exist. And Domination is still much better than any game mode with flags or capture points.

#7 1453 R

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 5,564 posts

Posted 06 September 2022 - 05:04 PM

View PostNightbird, on 04 September 2022 - 12:38 PM, said:

People like domination because this mode selection gives short and med ranged mechs a counter to the poor design of long ranged maps. On those maps where snipers can set up by spawn, selecting skirmish means there is no reasonable way to win. You can charge through a gauntlet of long range fire and lose, or you can wait out the whole 15 mins and be bored.

Even if you bring a long ranged mech yourself, you don't know what your teammates are bringing in the vote window. You can still make use of a long ranged mech in dom, but if the other team has a 4 man with snipers, you can't do much by yourself on skirmish.

Therefore, whether by experience or by analysis, you vote for dom.

Conquest accomplishes the same objective, but without forcing every single jackhole in the game to stand in the Mosh Pit of Murder and disabling the ability to move. Because despite what some people say "only one person has to stand in the circle and it doesn't have to be you" is how you get humiliating time-out losses on Domination Every last single person in the team has to be ready, willing, and able to be That Guy standing in the pee stain.

Brought a lightweight harasser? Too bad - you have to stand in the pee stain because I can guarantee you nobody else will.
Brought a long-distance 'Mech? Too bad - you have to stand in the pee stain because I can guarantee you nobody else will.
Brought a hot-running skirmisher? Too bad - you have to stand in the pee stain because I can guarantee you nobody else will.
Brought literally f@#$off anythingbut a heavy or assault Super Brawler optimized to move thirty klicks an hour and massacre anything within three hundred meters of itself BUT NO FURTHER? Too bad - stand in toilet, get peed on.

People run Domination not because it offers a counter to long-range 'Mechs - nobody in Puglandia can snipe for piss, and the minute number of exceptions are almost always solo - but because Domination is the only game type where the Nine Autocannon Annihilator is not automatically terrible, and people want to play Nine Autocannon Annihilators and get Bigg Numberz. It's why Conquest, which is as good if not better at allowing quicker, shorter-ranged 'Mechs to work around enemy snipers, is so hated. Because untenably slow assault Super Brawlers with no ability to move and no ability to shoot beyond 300m simply don't work in Conquest, but people aren't willing to give those godawful slagheaps up. If they can't run this abomination, they don't want to play, and it's to the extreme detriment of anyone else lingering in this game that enjoys better fights than "Stomp to the middle and hold down LMB until one side finishes exploding."

Edited by 1453 R, 06 September 2022 - 05:10 PM.

#8 Zeddicuus

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Warrior - Point 1
  • 106 posts

Posted 06 September 2022 - 07:51 PM

I kinda like running a super fast light mech, like an Incubus for Domination. Get in there quick, get the ticker down some then cheese it out of there so you can flank and get some shots in their back.

If someone is having a rough time with a game mode, it's not automatically the game mode that's the potential issue. It could be nothing more than your loadout. The number of times I went into QP my heavy brawler just to end up in a long range slug fest...yeeesh.

#9 Vxheous

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2019 Gold Champ
  • CS 2019 Gold Champ
  • 3,823 posts
  • Location2 Time MWO World Champion

Posted 06 September 2022 - 08:07 PM

No one on your team needs to be in it, you just need to be able to shoot the opposing mechs that are in to stop the timer.

#10 Quintal Arwe

• Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 07 September 2022 - 05:38 AM

The reality is that every game mode has its down sides. Some of the game modes can bring about camping in areas that give such an advantage, its an automatic loss to push in. I'm sure we've all been in that one game where everyone realises its a camping trip and you just sit there for 7 minutes.

Domination does eliminate this because it forces the fight in a specific location, but its not the best mode. Please don't send me hate mail, but I think conquest is the best mode in the game.

#11 Gasboy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 595 posts

Posted 07 September 2022 - 05:51 AM

Domination is far, far better than Incursion.

#12 ScrapIron Prime

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,880 posts
  • LocationSmack dab in the middle of Ohio

Posted 07 September 2022 - 07:09 AM

View PostGasboy, on 07 September 2022 - 05:51 AM, said:

Domination is far, far better than Incursion.

If you're a brawler, yes. Domination forces you to fight on a specific part of the map, so you know where the majority of the enemy team will be.

Incusion plays more like Assault. I like it better than Assault because "stand in the laser box if you feel like it" is not as cool a mission goal as "destroy the enemy field HQ". Incursion could be better, but I do like it.

#13 PocketYoda

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,138 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 07 September 2022 - 07:59 AM

I'm a brawler by nature and i hate Domination.. its just too limiting a game mode.. Better than conquest though.. just.

#14 TheCaptainJZ

• The CyberKnight
  • The CyberKnight
  • 3,679 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 07 September 2022 - 08:38 AM

Dominion on new Frozen City is the worse though. It needs moved. No one ever wants to go to the circle, so in a couple rounds, I held down the fort. Then when I was killed, no one else went into it and we lost. They're all up on the sides fighting because running to the circle exposes you and you then can't help in the battle. It would be ok if they moved it to the old part of frozen city or the new part. The ravine is just a kill zone.

#15 Vonbach

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 697 posts

Posted 07 September 2022 - 11:06 AM

Domination is the best map mode in the game. Otherwise known as Snipers have to participate or lose the game.

#16 VeeOt Dragon

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 1,212 posts
  • LocationHell

Posted 07 September 2022 - 01:26 PM

i honestly like all modes with an alternate win condition. it allows for more strategic play other than simple rotation of death that you so often see.

#17 1Exitar1

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 253 posts
  • LocationSomewhere in the Milkyway Galaxy

Posted 07 September 2022 - 11:25 PM

I like Domination because it tends to bring the players together, faster. Faster matches = more playing.

#18 VeeOt Dragon

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 1,212 posts
  • LocationHell

Posted 08 September 2022 - 07:05 PM

also with the way the newer maps are it is less likely that if you are in a slower mech your team will nascar leaving you behind to fight the whole enemy team by yourself. the pee stain sort of keeps them all in rough area that will let you catch up or at least have backup not so far away. then agin with the pinpoint meta of today's game that 120+ CT armor isn't all that handy.

11 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 11 guests, 0 anonymous users