Balance Gameplay

70 replies to this topic

#41 Heavy Money

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Marauder
  • 1,275 posts

Posted 12 September 2022 - 07:33 PM

View PostI LOVE ANNIHILATORS, on 12 September 2022 - 07:14 PM, said:

The only thing that's broken is your ability to understand how the game works. Here's what I'll do. If I get 3 matches in a row where my teammates decide to mindlessly nascar when the enemy pushes me from the left I'll just hop on a sniping mech and start using you as pug armor. The "git gud" players use you as pug armor because when you decide to NASCAR every time that's the only thing you're good for. Can't be relied on to hold a good position, can't be relied on to deal damage or confront the enemy, so to adapt to these circumstances, I must engage in an independent play style, that allows me to be effective far removed from my stock car racing enthusiasts labeled "teammates".

This.
Its all a bit of a prisoners dilemma, unfortunately. If you try to play correctly and your team doesn't, you often die first. If you play independently of them you'll still lose, but a good player can rank up.

A large amount of maps can be won if your team does pretty much anything other than Nascar. Most teams strategically flub the match within the first 20 seconds. But they get away with it very frequently because the other team also does, so the mass of players don't catch on. And its all that simple really. People play in ways that prevent skilled players from helping them much. Then the skilled players switch to more selfish playstyles. Then regular players whine that they are just farming and not helping them win.

A good example is Hibernal Rift. Team 1 tends to rotate from D4 to C4, then dive into the trench in C3 and rotate into D3 (and die). Team 2 tends to run B4 to C3 to D3, then up through the middle. Why do people do this? Literally just because that's what they see others doing. Its a terrible choice for either side.

If you're on team one and you just sit on the D4 ridge and the other team rotates through the trench and up their ramp into your firing line, you basically automatically win. Similarly, if you stay in C4 until they come through the middle or D4 trench into your firing line, it basically an auto win. And yet 80%+ of games, you will see Team 1 go and jump down into the C3 trench then try to push D3 into the enemy's bulk. Their slower team mates are back in C4 and D4. The enemy's slows may be in C3, but the rest of their forces are literally right around the corner. You gain absolutely nothing from dropping into that trench instead of shooting down into it, and yet people do it anyway! Every match! And you'll have people also go through the center and expose themselves to the enemies in their trench, while the enemies are safe from snipers! Make them come out into your team's fire! And harass them from the trench top until they do.

Similarly from the Team 2 side, if you just straight push B4 to C5 and the enemy is rotating, its basically auto-win. Heck, you can just stand around in B3 or B4 and let them trickle into you. That works fine as long as most of your team hasn't run off to C3. And if you must go through the trench, go further and come up in D3 so you don't get stuck in the low ground.

From both sides, the grand strategy of Hibernal Rift boils down to "Don't rotate and you auto win if they do." And yet people just DO NOT DO THIS. And that is the fundamental problem with the game. Its not some weapon or mech balance issues, or something the Cauldron introduced. The average MWO player fails at very basic map strategy, and so most matches are a mess. Everything else is secondary.

Edited by Heavy Money, 12 September 2022 - 07:35 PM.

#42 RickySpanish

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 3,513 posts
  • LocationWubbing your comrades

Posted 12 September 2022 - 07:37 PM

View PostNightbird, on 12 September 2022 - 11:06 AM, said:

If you feel so, great! But do you actually feel so? Jarl's shows you are playing a lot less in the years after Cauldron compared with the years before.

Posted Image

This is also true for the rest of the pop. Despite the new maps, the new mechs, all the awesome Cauldron changes, and even if we disregard the declining pop, the people remaining aren't playing as much.

Posted Image

I don't think the Cauldron is responsible though, but this is because I think the changes were too conservative. A few mechs fell into and out of meta, but all the major styles of play plays exactly the same.

You are right, I am playing less - because I became a Mech-Dad ;)

#43 BellatorMonk

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 617 posts
  • LocationWallet Closed PGI Knows Why

Posted 12 September 2022 - 07:43 PM

View PostI LOVE ANNIHILATORS, on 12 September 2022 - 07:14 PM, said:

The only thing that's broken is your ability to understand how the game works. Here's what I'll do. If I get 3 matches in a row where my teammates decide to mindlessly nascar when the enemy pushes me from the left I'll just hop on a sniping mech and start using you as pug armor. The "git gud" players use you as pug armor because when you decide to NASCAR every time that's the only thing you're good for. Can't be relied on to hold a good position, can't be relied on to deal damage or confront the enemy, so to adapt to these circumstances, I must engage in an independent play style, that allows me to be effective far removed from my stock car racing enthusiasts labeled "teammates".

Not sure why you decided to single me out as not understanding how the game works lol. Do you see that yellow badge next to my name?
I have been on your team and against you many a time son..you ain't all that and bag a fries. You think you got "skill" because you run an Annie-1E with snubs and farm some damage most matches?
Seriously get over yourself with every single condescending post and response. It's people like you who make people like me sick of the game even after a few months of playing.

#44 Aidan Crenshaw

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 3,638 posts

Posted 12 September 2022 - 08:29 PM

View PostRickySpanish, on 12 September 2022 - 07:37 PM, said:

You are right, I am playing less - because I became a Mech-Dad ;)

Congratulations and best wishes!

#45 1Exitar1

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 253 posts
  • LocationSomewhere in the Milkyway Galaxy

Posted 12 September 2022 - 09:08 PM

Brawlers are still good to play. In fact, it is all I play! You just need to use the terrain and team mates to get into position and then wait for the enemy to get close. That is the hardest part for me; waiting. Thankfully my mech can pop tart a little so I can at least get a couple of shots off. Then you need to scoot!
The only maps I have trouble with are The Bog, Alpine Heights and HPG (not because of terrain). In those maps I have to wait a lot longer for the enemy to close and there are very few hiding spots for a heavy mech.

Learn the maps, talk to your team and learn to wait!

#46 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 17,070 posts

Posted 12 September 2022 - 09:58 PM

this game isnt something i really take seriously. i still collect mechs and do events, but its become maybe a once or twice a month affair. sessions might last an evening or two each.

according to jarls the average player plays 93 games per season, assuming qp lasts the full 15 minutes, thats about a day per person. or 15.5 houses if we assume a more realistic 10 minutes per match. fp and eq probibly dont effect the stat much. the drop rate on fp is too low and fewer opportunities to play, and eq tends to run even shorter than qp.

i think im what counts as typical. my games per season over the past several seasons bracket the value. more game diversity would certainly get me into more matches. if people play more that improves match making (bigger pool to chose from) and brings wait times down.

one thing we know for sure, if you dont build it, they wont come.

#47 RickySpanish

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 3,513 posts
  • LocationWubbing your comrades

Posted 13 September 2022 - 05:08 AM

View PostAidan Crenshaw, on 12 September 2022 - 08:29 PM, said:

Congratulations and best wishes!

Cheers!

#48 Bassault

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2023 Gold Champ
  • CS 2023 Gold Champ
  • 392 posts

Posted 13 September 2022 - 06:57 AM

View PostBellatorMonk, on 12 September 2022 - 07:43 PM, said:

Not sure why you decided to single me out as not understanding how the game works lol. Do you see that yellow badge next to my name?
I have been on your team and against you many a time son..you ain't all that and bag a fries. You think you got "skill" because you run an Annie-1E with snubs and farm some damage most matches?
Seriously get over yourself with every single condescending post and response. It's people like you who make people like me sick of the game even after a few months of playing.

Because you're complaining about people using you as pug armor. There's only two kinds of players in this game. The nascarers and the farmers. Those who complain about the farmers 9/10 are just nascaring.

Also I hardly play the 1E. I mostly did that for one night.
https://imgur.com/M4jIFNE

Also the yellow badge means nothing. Experience means nothing. There's people still in tier 5 running bracket builds telling the snipers to share armor and they're founders. The player with the most drops in this game is not even in tier 1.

Edited by I LOVE ANNIHILATORS, 13 September 2022 - 07:05 AM.

#49 Bassault

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2023 Gold Champ
  • CS 2023 Gold Champ
  • 392 posts

Posted 13 September 2022 - 07:10 AM

View PostHeavy Money, on 12 September 2022 - 07:33 PM, said:

From both sides, the grand strategy of Hibernal Rift boils down to "Don't rotate and you auto win if they do." And yet people just DO NOT DO THIS. And that is the fundamental problem with the game. Its not some weapon or mech balance issues, or something the Cauldron introduced. The average MWO player fails at very basic map strategy, and so most matches are a mess. Everything else is secondary.

You pretty much summed it up for Hibernal. It's amazing to me that many of these people have been playing for years, so many hours and matches racked up and they still decide to nascar into the low ground of hibernal.

Edited by I LOVE ANNIHILATORS, 13 September 2022 - 07:10 AM.

#50 PocketYoda

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,138 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 13 September 2022 - 07:27 AM

This game is best played in small bursts.. Playing it daily for years gets stale fast..

Its a one trick pony game, Play it as one.

As for the Cauldron they have done some good (made some mechs actually viable at times) but also bad (the whole light mech, Sniper crap, ams removal and more fiascos) at the same time so its hard to totally rag on them. They do more than PGI have in years sadly.

Edited by Nomad Tech, 13 September 2022 - 07:28 AM.

#51 BellatorMonk

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 617 posts
  • LocationWallet Closed PGI Knows Why

Posted 13 September 2022 - 11:04 AM

View PostI LOVE ANNIHILATORS, on 13 September 2022 - 06:57 AM, said:

Because you're complaining about people using you as pug armor. There's only two kinds of players in this game. The nascarers and the farmers. Those who complain about the farmers 9/10 are just nascaring.

Also I hardly play the 1E. I mostly did that for one night.
https://imgur.com/M4jIFNE

Also the yellow badge means nothing. Experience means nothing. There's people still in tier 5 running bracket builds telling the snipers to share armor and they're founders. The player with the most drops in this game is not even in tier 1.

There you go talking out your *** again. I don't Nascar if it can be helped, meaning the majority of the team does not depending on the mech and I am the one who usually says something on comms about NOT nascaring most matches. So no idea why you are whining or preaching to me about it.

As for "pug armor"..I stated a simple fact not a "complaint" and you just confirmed my statement of said fact which sounds like that's what we both do..use pugs on Objectives as bait/armor.

"Experience" means nothing? That is about the dumbest thing to be said...period.

#52 Bassault

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2023 Gold Champ
  • CS 2023 Gold Champ
  • 392 posts

Posted 13 September 2022 - 11:14 AM

View PostBellatorMonk, on 13 September 2022 - 11:04 AM, said:

There you go talking out your *** again. I don't Nascar if it can be helped, meaning the majority of the team does not depending on the mech and I am the one who usually says something on comms about NOT nascaring most matches. So no idea why you are whining or preaching to me about it.

As for "pug armor"..I stated a simple fact not a "complaint" and you just confirmed my statement of said fact which sounds like that's what we both do..use pugs on Objectives as bait/armor.

"Experience" means nothing? That is about the dumbest thing to be said...period.

The intention behind "experience means nothing" is that experience means nothing if you have nothing to show for it. For example, the experience of the best players in the world is more valuable and impactful than the years experience of someone who ran LRM Atlases and stock mechs. One can have experience doing ineffective and silly things, or simply never trying to improve at all. Therefor, Simply exclaiming experience means nothing to a reasonable person.

Edited by I LOVE ANNIHILATORS, 13 September 2022 - 11:16 AM.

#53 Knownswift

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 269 posts

Posted 13 September 2022 - 12:49 PM

If person A wins more than person B, person A is probably better at the game regardless of how much time they put in.

Experience has little to do with ability.

#54 Nightbird

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The God of Death
  • The God of Death
  • 7,518 posts

Posted 13 September 2022 - 12:53 PM

View PostKnownswift, on 13 September 2022 - 12:49 PM, said:

If person A wins more than person B, person A is probably better at the game regardless of how much time they put in.

Experience has little to do with ability.

True if the game has no match maker. Games with a working match maker would keep 90%+ of players in a 0.95-1.05 WLR window so they are playing their peers and having the most fun = most customer engagement and most sales.

Games without a function MM lose out on customer engagement, customers either get frustrated with low win rates or bored with high win rates. In either case, they are not being matched with players of equal skill, the game experience becomes a mess with many matches where the player feels they cannot impact the final outcome.

Edited by Nightbird, 13 September 2022 - 12:59 PM.

#55 Knownswift

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 269 posts

Posted 13 September 2022 - 01:11 PM

Have any examples of an online PVP shooter game with a matchmaker that does that?

#56 Ihlrath

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wild Dog
  • Wild Dog
  • 373 posts

Posted 13 September 2022 - 01:16 PM

From what I see in most games I'd agree with the lack of diverse game play and loadouts. Mostly what you see these days is laser vomit from across the map that, as was so eloquently pointed out earlier, is because it feels like you're safe and contributing and what you're actually doing is annoying your team mates because your sniping can be easily countered by *GASP* terrain and keeping something between you and your target which many people are starting to figure out.

NASCAR is and has been the bane of game play forever and people don't seem to learn. They just hit the W key and pay zero attention to the poor assault mechs being left behind to get a murder toddler up the backside.

The Caldron has done a fabulous, absolutely knock out job of..... making any and all lock on weapons basically useless beyond tier 3. These weapons do have a role to play but they've made them so utterly unusable and easily countered that they're basically dead weight. Which means that direct fire is the way to go.... but only some sort of ballistic 2 variant, ERLL, ERPPC, and Gauss from over 1K+ meters because anything closer is scary and might actually get your paint scratched.

So here we are, pretty much stuck with what passes for sniping because 90% of the time it's done by a complete donut while the rest of us play dink and dunk under the pretty blue lights overhead.

I will say that every now and then you get a group of people that just want to get in there and have some fun and those always turn out to be some good matches. We just gotta endure the long range slap and tickle fests to get there.

#57 Knownswift

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 269 posts

Posted 13 September 2022 - 01:33 PM

Lock ons will always, and should always, be weak near the game's skill ceiling.

What they should do is just buff LOS so that you can hit things easier with dumbfire.

If streaks used the same mechanic is lrms they could be buffed, but that probably won't happen so they will and should remain where they are.

#58 Nightbird

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The God of Death
  • The God of Death
  • 7,518 posts

Posted 13 September 2022 - 02:59 PM

View PostKnownswift, on 13 September 2022 - 01:11 PM, said:

Have any examples of an online PVP shooter game with a matchmaker that does that?

Most of the bigger publishers do it. The topic/algorithm is considered secret sauce in game development as it literally multiplies revenue earned for the game dev, so good luck finding the details on the net.

https://www.washingt...ed-matchmaking/

I can only guess most use a Bayesian system, where your long term gaming history is used to generate a "skill score" but for each new day you get a "discount" on that score for the first match to give you an easier time. If you do as well as expected, it'll ramp up to your true skill level. If you aren't doing well (playing drunk for example) it'll keep you low so you are having fun still. If you are in the zone and doing really well, it can boost you higher than your long term score, but only for the day if you don't do it consistently.

Of course, some companies create easier games for paying customers and stick it to f2p players via the MM....

Edited by Nightbird, 13 September 2022 - 02:59 PM.

#59 Kotis77

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Star Colonel
  • Star Colonel
  • 253 posts

Posted 13 September 2022 - 03:46 PM

competetive f2p FPS shooters doesnt really have working MM in lower tiers.. Most of players just smurfs and farm newplayers

#60 caravann

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • 385 posts

Posted 13 September 2022 - 05:23 PM

I blame ER laser

Low effort

HIgh reward

No skills

5 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 5 guests, 0 anonymous users