70 replies to this topic

#61 Pixel Hunter

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 372 posts
  • LocationTraverse City, MI

Posted 13 September 2022 - 07:06 PM

View PostKnownswift, on 13 September 2022 - 01:33 PM, said:

What they should do is just buff LOS so that you can hit things easier with dumbfire.

yes. drumfire needs to be more like MRM's for LRM type missiles (some tweaking needed) and streaks need a big old buff. I'd be perfectly comfortable with streaks having a drumfire given their higher weight. Overall LRM's need some gentle hand holding to get players to stay with the team

or and laser vomit needs a nerf. bigger drop off for blues to also get "snipers" to move in closer. would also carve out a niche for PPC's AC2's and Guass to me king of range.

#62 Gasboy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 563 posts

Posted 14 September 2022 - 02:55 AM

Not sure what game OP is playing. Solaris is definitely not the map for LRMs.

Snipers, poptarts and 'long range builds'? Sure, those exist. But there are at least as many 'brawling' builds out there. The trick is staying under cover long enough to get close enough. Yes, sometimes it's easier said than done, but much of the time it's doable.

Those lights with machine gun/laser spam? I guarantee you they do not like brawling builds, because they have to get inside your range to do their mg thing. One alpha is usually enough to scare them away, especially if you can hit their legs.

Everything else, you usually have to go to them.

And you have to keep in mind, sometimes you're the bug, sometimes you're the wind screen.

#63 Curccu

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 4,622 posts

Posted 14 September 2022 - 03:48 AM

View Postcaravann, on 13 September 2022 - 05:23 PM, said:

I blame ER laser

Low effort

HIgh reward

No skills

Blue lazors have very high skill ceiling there is huge difference is you hit enemy mech all over with 1/3rd of the burn and rest of it goes to terrain or put full burn into enemy mechs CT.
But IMO it is boring.

#64 Vonbach

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 697 posts

Posted 14 September 2022 - 07:08 AM

View Postcaravann, on 13 September 2022 - 05:23 PM, said:

I blame ER laser

Low effort

HIgh reward

No skills

Its not so much the ER Laser. Its ER Laser and the map design. Its easy to be a sniper when the maps cater to sniping.

#65 Bassault

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2023 Gold Champ
  • CS 2023 Gold Champ
  • 389 posts

Posted 14 September 2022 - 07:55 AM

View PostKnownswift, on 13 September 2022 - 01:11 PM, said:

Have any examples of an online PVP shooter game with a matchmaker that does that?

I heard the latest Call of Dutys do it and people hate it passionately. Also lends itself to a lot of smurfing.

Edited by I LOVE ANNIHILATORS, 14 September 2022 - 07:56 AM.

#66 Nightbird

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The God of Death
  • The God of Death
  • 7,518 posts

Posted 14 September 2022 - 08:13 AM

View PostI LOVE ANNIHILATORS, on 14 September 2022 - 07:55 AM, said:

I heard the latest Call of Dutys do it and people hate it passionately. Also lends itself to a lot of smurfing.

Depends on your source, this one says every CoD since 2007

https://charlieintel...l-along/150903/

#67 Nightbird

• The God of Death
  • The God of Death
  • 7,518 posts

Posted 14 September 2022 - 08:19 AM

The designer quoted, Josh Menke, has also said the goal is 1.0 KDR, though matching a mix of easy and hard games to vary the experience is good, and also decreases matchmaking time (practical).

#68 Ihlrath

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wild Dog
  • Wild Dog
  • 370 posts

Posted 14 September 2022 - 02:28 PM

View PostNightbird, on 14 September 2022 - 08:19 AM, said:

The designer quoted, Josh Menke, has also said the goal is 1.0 KDR, though matching a mix of easy and hard games to vary the experience is good, and also decreases matchmaking time (practical).

Oh well... what happens when you're like a ... is it possible to have a negative KDR?

... asking for a friend.

*shifty eyes*

#69 Nightbird

• The God of Death
  • The God of Death
  • 7,518 posts

Posted 14 September 2022 - 02:56 PM

View PostIhlrath, on 14 September 2022 - 02:28 PM, said:

Oh well... what happens when you're like a ... is it possible to have a negative KDR?

... asking for a friend.

*shifty eyes*

That quote was from a designer for Call of Duty, you know a real unpopular game compared with MWO.

Edited by Nightbird, 14 September 2022 - 02:57 PM.

#70 Scarlet King Crab

• PipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 26 posts

Posted 14 September 2022 - 05:22 PM

I agree that brawling is hard and my brawler KGC has the lowest winrates among my stable.

Here as some observations on a typical match.

1. At the beginning both teams prepare to make the line of battle. snipers and poptarts are at their best positions, the brawlers slowly come together readying for a push on a position. brawling is next to impossible.

2. One or both teams push. Flankers abound. line of battle adjusts. Brawlers are needed in the push phase. Sometimes, no team pushes and the whole game is a sniperfest. brawlers lose here.

3. Cleaning up or table the turns phase. The is no line of battle. the advantaged team scrounge around for the rest of the enemy. This is the phase that brawlers and lights shine. if your brawler mech is kinda healthy, you are lucky. you turn one corner and see an enemy mech barely alive. then another corner with a sniper assault at brawling range.

I guess matches, maps, or phase of battle with no clear line of battles are where brawlers tend to shine. shoutout to vitric station. this is a brawlers paradise. line of battle is hazy. one moment you have a nice line then 3 assaults decide to jump down on your snipers and its a slugfest!

#71 1453 R

• Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 5,470 posts

Posted 14 September 2022 - 06:33 PM

View PostIhlrath, on 14 September 2022 - 02:28 PM, said:

... asking for a friend.

*shifty eyes*

No. Taken as a whole, the entire game's KDR is exactly 1.0, or at least it is when accounting for things like friendly fire or Heat Seppuku. Every kill has a death associated with it, and ideally every death is caused by an enemy kill. For every positive KDR, someone else has a negative - or more likely, several someone elses. People with highly positive KDR (call it 1.5+) are in a decided minority in any given arena shooter game like this.. A majority of players, considering the playerbase as a whole, tend to hover in the 0.7 to 0.9 region, or elsewise slightly-below-one, with an equally relatively small pool of terribads sinking significantly below 1. The bell curve in these games doesn't center on 1.0 KDR and never really has.

Not that any of this matters a whit to MWO, where overall KDR is a deeply misleading metric. One of the only things this game's fanbase gets even remotely right is tending to focus more on W/L than KDR, as win rate is the closest you can get to an aggregate measure of Gudness in this game. Do teams you're on tend to win more, or less? All that matters in the end.

7 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 7 guests, 0 anonymous users