Reward The Commanders Of A Match For Good Communication

8 replies to this topic

#1 sosegado

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • 274 posts

Posted 22 September 2022 - 03:49 AM

Ok, so this may be an even crazier idea then my last one but hear me out please.

At the end of the match the team votes to reward whomever was in command for good communication.

I'll need some help fleshing this out if it's even possible.

1: Only the pilot that was in command for most of the match is eligible.

2: The winning commander gets 5 MC. (the numbers are fluid and can even be cbills also). Maybe 1 MC per yes vote?

3: The losing commander gets 10,000 cbills (again don't stress the number it can be adjusted). Maybe 1,000 cbills per yes vote?

4: The commander must get at least 7 yes votes to receive the reward. (to prevent 4 man groups from just rewarding their buddy, and making sure that over half the team agrees.

5 : After the match a pop up(?) appears: "Reward Commander?" yes/no

I know it requires PGI to pony up the rewards but in all honesty I would gladly transfer some of my own MC or cbills to a commander for good communication. Maybe other players would also. That just seems way harder to code though.

Can this even be done under the existing game structure or is it beyond PGI to code this?

Anyway if communication is the problem with this game why not reward it when it's done right?

Edited by Stab Wound, 22 September 2022 - 03:53 AM.

#2 ScrapIron Prime

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,748 posts
  • LocationSmack dab in the middle of Ohio

Posted 22 September 2022 - 12:50 PM

Herding cats is NOT easy. Units rotate people through trying to drop call, and a lot of folks just don't have the knack.

But rewarding the first person to stab the "take command" button might actually result in less qualified people trying to call the drop just for the reward, and that might not help the team's chances. And a popularity vote toward the end could invite some ill will.

What if, instead, there were cBill rewards for using the comms, be it VOIP or typing to your team or lance? I'd be willing to suffer the occasional "leeeeeroy..." at the beginning of the match just for someone to get their bonus, because people would be incentivized to communicate. And top the bonus out at a certain amount so you're not rewarding people for totally flooding voice chat with audio spam.

#3 sosegado

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • 274 posts

Posted 22 September 2022 - 02:42 PM

View PostScrapIron Prime, on 22 September 2022 - 12:50 PM, said:

Herding cats is NOT easy. Units rotate people through trying to drop call, and a lot of folks just don't have the knack.

But rewarding the first person to stab the "take command" button might actually result in less qualified people trying to call the drop just for the reward, and that might not help the team's chances. And a popularity vote toward the end could invite some ill will.

What if, instead, there were cBill rewards for using the comms, be it VOIP or typing to your team or lance? I'd be willing to suffer the occasional "leeeeeroy..." at the beginning of the match just for someone to get their bonus, because people would be incentivized to communicate. And top the bonus out at a certain amount so you're not rewarding people for totally flooding voice chat with audio spam.

Good points. And actually the reason why I needed help fleshing this out. (although I was thinking of a private vote so that no one could tell if you chose yes or no to protect from retaliation or ill will.) Also, where you say, "less qualified" I want to say, "diamond in the rough". You have to train somewhere and somehow. Plus the vote would have to have 7 people agree that you actually did well.

I believe we definitely need to incentivize more communication.

So how do we incentivize communication without inviting the same antics?

Can the game detect how many seconds of voip each player uses?
Can the game detect how many lines you type to your team mates or lance mates?

If so do we reward by the typed character after so many characters?
And also by how many seconds of voip used after so many seconds?
Will that create chaos or can abuse of that mechanic also become a reportable offense as well?

Edited by Stab Wound, 23 September 2022 - 12:47 PM.

#4 Necroconvict

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Shogun
  • The Shogun
  • 364 posts
  • LocationBaconville

Posted 23 September 2022 - 10:56 AM

Yeah especially when us cats... the **** don't want to see all the flickering on the screen and orders of go here secure this do this do that get to the circle, screw commanders.

#5 Fierce Ferret

• PipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 52 posts

Posted 05 October 2022 - 07:52 AM

Proposal: Everyone gets a VIP check box in the TAB/Roster menu, each player can vote one time per match with a max of 10 votes per 24hours and cannot vote for them selves. Rewards can be based on how many you receive.

#6 martian

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,580 posts

Posted 07 October 2022 - 07:51 AM

Could we punish bad commanders too? Posted Image

#7 Necroconvict

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Shogun
  • The Shogun
  • 364 posts
  • LocationBaconville

Posted 10 October 2022 - 04:54 PM

View PostFierce Ferret, on 05 October 2022 - 07:52 AM, said:

Proposal: Everyone gets a VIP check box in the TAB/Roster menu, each player can vote one time per match with a max of 10 votes per 24hours and cannot vote for them selves. Rewards can be based on how many you receive.

But if they're on your friends list they count for half, and if their in your unit they count for half as well, so if it's both they count for .25 So you can't stack friends votes, and stack synch drops.

Still I hate having people bitching and giving orders over coms. Maybe just in comp, or warfare.

#8 Fierce Ferret

• PipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 52 posts

Posted 10 October 2022 - 05:45 PM

View PostNecroconvict, on 10 October 2022 - 04:54 PM, said:

But if they're on your friends list they count for half, and if their in your unit they count for half as well, so if it's both they count for .25 So you can't stack friends votes, and stack synch drops.

Still I hate having people bitching and giving orders over coms. Maybe just in comp, or warfare.

Yeah, that's actually kind of brilliant, I hadn't even considered it. That would make people want to be nice to strangers, too. That could be super helpful if you're new, lol!

I'm not saying it needs to be for giving commands. If a light really kicks @ss in scouting/spotting but doesn't get much damage, the lurmers who benefited might choose to vote for the light pilot. This would make helping the team more of a priority for everyone. Anyone who performs their roll well will be appreciated by different people.

Do you think the vote should be public or private o.O? I can't decide.

#9 sosegado

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • 274 posts

Posted 13 October 2022 - 01:46 PM

View PostFierce Ferret, on 05 October 2022 - 07:52 AM, said:

View PostNecroconvict, on 10 October 2022 - 04:54 PM, said:

View PostFierce Ferret, on 10 October 2022 - 05:45 PM, said:

Yeah, that's actually kind of brilliant, I hadn't even considered it. That would make people want to be nice to strangers, too. That could be super helpful if you're new, lol!

Agreed, I like these ideas. We're looking for positive communication and generally making the community reward good behavior, not just your buddies.

I'm not saying it needs to be for giving commands. If a light really kicks @ss in scouting/spotting but doesn't get much damage, the lurmers who benefited might choose to vote for the light pilot. This would make helping the team more of a priority for everyone. Anyone who performs their roll well will be appreciated by different people.

Wow, that's an interesting point. I bet the Light pilot would appreciate a match score boost in this instance!

What if the reward was an automatic PSR green arrow if you didn't earn one the normal way? Maybe the minimum points necessary for the match, that overrides the normal requirements to get a green arrow?

That gives the team an override of the matchscore when they Know that a pilot did exceptionally well but their effort didn't generate the reward that the rest of the team watched them earn.

It gives players control of the 'X' factor that the algorithm can't calculate. The human factor.

You want to talk about people being nice to each other, I believe that might help alot!

Do you think the vote should be public or private o.O? I can't decide.

People are never going to stop being people. So I lean toward a private vote.

I feel like this thread is evolving in a very positive direction.
Thanks everyone for your contributions.
I hope more people can see this. Posted Image

Edited by Stab Wound, 13 October 2022 - 02:06 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users