8 Assaults

18 replies to this topic

#1 Saved By The Bell

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 674 posts
  • LocationJapan

Posted 01 September 2022 - 08:15 AM

I just had a fight. My team had 8 assaults. What's going on?

#2 Heavy Money

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Marauder
  • 1,275 posts

Posted 01 September 2022 - 10:30 AM

When there's a big skill disparity between the teams for some reason (which it tries to avoid but sometimes cannot), then it will sometimes stack weight on the weaker side. That's probably what happened. Do you have a screenshot?

#3 Saved By The Bell

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 674 posts
  • LocationJapan

Posted 01 September 2022 - 10:52 AM

Not a big matter, nope.

It were 2 groups of assaults and 3d, lights and mediums.

Edited by Saved By The Bell, 01 September 2022 - 10:52 AM.

#4 Katrina Steiner

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 157 posts
  • LocationTharkad

Posted 01 September 2022 - 11:34 AM

I noticed this started after last patch. I've in fact had numerous matches with up to 8 assaults.

#5 Heavy Money

• The Marauder
  • 1,275 posts

Posted 01 September 2022 - 11:36 AM

View PostKatrina Steiner, on 01 September 2022 - 11:34 AM, said:

I noticed this started after last patch. I've in fact had numerous matches with up to 8 assaults.

Its always been possible. Its just rare enough that people often don't notice the pattern.

Its also more common in lower tier matches I would assume. I haven't seen it happen in ages.

If you do notice that you have a huge amount of assaults, keep in mind that the opponents are likely high ranked.

Edited by Heavy Money, 01 September 2022 - 11:37 AM.

#6 feeWAIVER

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,643 posts

Posted 01 September 2022 - 03:49 PM

Who won?

#7 Saved By The Bell

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 674 posts
  • LocationJapan

Posted 01 September 2022 - 11:26 PM

8 assaults team won.

Edited by Saved By The Bell, 01 September 2022 - 11:26 PM.

#8 dubstep albatross

• PipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 60 posts

Posted 02 September 2022 - 08:14 AM

View PostKatrina Steiner, on 01 September 2022 - 11:34 AM, said:

Forgive the unpolished nature of the chart below. Having over five assaults on a team did not occur even once from the start of my data collection (March 2021) until late May of this year. It has happened after the May patch that broke the matchmaker (until they corrected the matchmaker in June) and it seems to have started happening again after the August patch.

There has been some suggestions in this thread that the matchmaker is assessing skill and compensating with team tonnage. This seems extremely unlikely given the history of this matchmaker. Much more likely is that something was loosened up (intentionally or otherwise) in the matchmaker in the last patch. Is there an event queue running?

Maybe it is broke again.

Posted Image

Edited by dubstep albatross, 02 September 2022 - 08:17 AM.

#9 TheCaptainJZ

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The CyberKnight
  • The CyberKnight
  • 3,658 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 02 September 2022 - 08:19 AM

How many assaults were on the other side? If not as many, what about Heavys? What was the total team tonnage of both?

The matchmaker is trying to balance a number of variables, but it will loosen the rules in order to make matches happen. PGI might also be tweaking the values without saying so.

#10 dubstep albatross

• PipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 60 posts

Posted 02 September 2022 - 10:45 AM

View PostTheCaptainJZ, on 02 September 2022 - 08:19 AM, said:

How many assaults were on the other side? If not as many, what about Heavys? What was the total team tonnage of both?

The matchmaker is trying to balance a number of variables, but it will loosen the rules in order to make matches happen. PGI might also be tweaking the values without saying so.

Obviously I cannot answer for the OP, but below is data I have from games where there were more than 5 assaults on a team. All of these matches are heavily imbalanced except two. Note: tonnage_diff is victory team (1) tonnage minus defeated team (0) tonnage. A positive value means that the heavier team was the victor. About 750 tons is the average team tonnage.

My intuition is that the matchmaker is loosening up (or not even factoring team mech category composition and/or tonnage) just to make a match (and possibly trying to accommodate heavy teams).

Posted Image

* edit: Accidentally left my own pilot mech/weight out. Corrected chart.

Edited by dubstep albatross, 02 September 2022 - 11:12 AM.

#11 BellatorMonk

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 617 posts
  • LocationWallet Closed PGI Knows Why

Posted 02 September 2022 - 10:49 PM

View PostHeavy Money, on 01 September 2022 - 10:30 AM, said:

When there's a big skill disparity between the teams for some reason (which it tries to avoid but sometimes cannot), then it will sometimes stack weight on the weaker side. That's probably what happened. Do you have a screenshot?

Say what? Are you saying the MM is able to stack teams of lesser PR teams with more weight than a team with a higher PR on purpose rather than randomly? Is there a link to something related to this MM mechanic?

#12 Saved By The Bell

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 674 posts
  • LocationJapan

Posted 03 September 2022 - 12:51 AM

Enemy team had several assaults, didnt look properly, sorry.

Enemy team fight well, we won 9-12 or smth.

Edited by Saved By The Bell, 03 September 2022 - 12:54 AM.

#13 PocketYoda

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,136 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 07 September 2022 - 05:02 PM

Its quite common in tier 4.

#14 w0qj

• The Territorial
  • The Territorial
  • 3,421 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationAt your 6 :)

Posted 07 September 2022 - 09:05 PM

Almost thought that the next Assault Event 8vs8 was here ;)

View PostSaved By The Bell, on 01 September 2022 - 08:15 AM, said:

I just had a fight. My team had 8 assaults. What's going on?

#15 MrMadguy

• 2,199 posts

Posted 07 September 2022 - 09:39 PM

As always. Problems are always the same:
1) Skill >> weight. For example overall I do better in Heavies, than in Assaults. I have to play specific Assault builds to make them viable. LRM boats, yeah.
2) Problems with MM are caused by opened dump valves, because some players (most likely top players and groups) have too long queues. Devs don't say it openly, because they don't want to admit, that they do it, not to make majority of playerbase angry. It's common problem for all PVP games. Average player is sacrificed and becomes "food" for hardcore players.

#16 Heavy Money

• The Marauder
  • 1,275 posts

Posted 08 September 2022 - 02:37 PM

View PostBellatorMonk, on 02 September 2022 - 10:49 PM, said:

Say what? Are you saying the MM is able to stack teams of lesser PR teams with more weight than a team with a higher PR on purpose rather than randomly? Is there a link to something related to this MM mechanic?

This is what I have heard on the Cauldron's Discord (but I don't remember if it was from them specifically) and I believe I've seen it around here too. My impression is that its a mechanic that is part of the MM but doesn't accomplish much and we'd barely know it was there except for the occasional skewed weight match.

We can probably get confirmation from somebody who knows more details. I could be totally wrong, I'm just repeating what I read somewhere.

#17 An6ryMan69

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 475 posts

Posted 09 September 2022 - 10:19 AM

I think the matchmaker is more random than it gets credit for. Eight assaults on one team doesn't surprise me. Seen teams with no lights on a conquest match, and no assaults on, oddly enough, an "assault" match. Played a match yesterday where 8 of our 12 mechs had ECM....whatever. Even as I comment on this thread I'm not sure these kinds of threads are worth commenting on...

:)

#18 Pixel Hunter

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 369 posts
  • LocationTraverse City, MI

Posted 12 September 2022 - 07:04 PM

View PostMrMadguy, on 07 September 2022 - 09:39 PM, said:

As always. Problems are always the same:
1) Skill >> weight. For example overall I do better in Heavies, than in Assaults. I have to play specific Assault builds to make them viable. LRM boats, yeah.

I hear that all the time, but you better hope the assault stacked team is really bad and you're all in good mechs to counter them.

#19 Magnus Santini

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • 708 posts

Posted 01 October 2022 - 08:12 AM

Sometimes I think there is a psychological effect at work. People choose their mech to fight the last battle they were in. If they were outgunned, they bring a big gunboat. If they were swarmed, they bring a light mech. If they were sniped at range, they bring long range weapons. In the old days, you had to wait longer to bring the current popular weight class. Now the MM is often wide open, people's picks go straight through. On the bright side, sometimes it is nice to be the only light ahead of a line of assaults. "Chase me!"

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users