Light Mech Spam

121 replies to this topic

#1 Whamhammer

• Pip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 15 posts

Posted 10 October 2022 - 03:04 PM

I am curious as to what the mindset is for the dev's to build light mechs with 12-15 hardpoints, and allow them to have lightweight, low/no heat, extreme short cycle time, with high speed and extremely small hitboxes and surface area to hit.

I don't really see much of a downside to these mechs, especially the Pirahna, Mist Lynx, and Flea, and many of them not only have alphas has that beat out some heavies/assaults, but also have cyclic rates that are nonsensical. Having to get into close range is not an issue for these mechs, as LRM's were pretty much the best way to take them down, but all of the ECM and AMS has pretty much neutered individual and unsupported LRM build.

It's pretty obvious that these sort of mechs are abused, as they tend to be in every match, in multitudes and overly easy to outscore mechs three times their weight.

Can we have some kneecapping on mega mass-MG's and small-micro lasers?

#2 Meep Meep

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,908 posts
  • LocationBehind You

Posted 10 October 2022 - 03:11 PM

In before 'lrn2aim'. Posted Image

But really the best way to deal with lights is to shoot them and the best way to not get wolf packed is to not stray too far from the group. Wolfpacks just love to munch on snipers and other wallflowers.

#3 w0qj

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 3,576 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationAt your 6 :)

Posted 10 October 2022 - 04:01 PM

When you are playing Heavy/Assault vs Light mech...

~Never be caught alone by a Light mech... stick with your teammates in the first place!
~Practice walking backwards into a wall, so Light mech cannot shoot your back...
~[Left_Shift] to unlock your arm weapons for easier shooting at Light mech (some players lock their arms, use large alpha to 1-hit-KO Light)
~Aim to shoot for Light mech's hip, which will hit its legs (shooting directly at enemy legs causes some shots to actually miss more between the legs)
~Use 2x Seismic Sensor Nodes (both of them) if you wish extra safety buffer (standing still causes you to be alone!)
~Add Anchor Turn skill nodes as needed, especially on Assault (especially if you insist on locking your arms)
~Play in a Group, better coordination is better protection vs Light mech... (again, never be caught alone by a Light mech)

Best of luck!

View PostWhamhammer, on 10 October 2022 - 03:04 PM, said:

I am curious as to what the mindset is for the dev's to build light mechs with 12-15 hardpoints, and allow them to have lightweight, low/no heat, extreme short cycle time, with high speed and extremely small hitboxes and surface area to hit.

I don't really see much of a downside to these mechs, especially the Pirahna, Mist Lynx, and Flea, and many of them not only have alphas has that beat out some heavies/assaults, but also have cyclic rates that are nonsensical. Having to get into close range is not an issue for these mechs, as LRM's were pretty much the best way to take them down, but all of the ECM and AMS has pretty much neutered individual and unsupported LRM build.

It's pretty obvious that these sort of mechs are abused, as they tend to be in every match, in multitudes and overly easy to outscore mechs three times their weight.

Edited by w0qj, 10 October 2022 - 04:35 PM.

#4 Vonbach

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 697 posts

Posted 10 October 2022 - 05:01 PM

Basically the only defense against light mech spam is to huddle together like a herd of frightened cattle and have UAV's handy so the missile boats can lrm them to death.

#5 RickySpanish

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 3,514 posts
  • LocationWubbing your comrades

Posted 10 October 2022 - 05:06 PM

Their weakness is that once something breathes on them, they die. Don't stray too far from your team, call out flanks, and use the command wheel and comms to ask for help if one jumps you.

#6 pattonesque

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,427 posts

Posted 10 October 2022 - 05:15 PM

just shoot the light

#7 Vonbach

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 697 posts

Posted 10 October 2022 - 05:31 PM

You can always tell who the light pilots are.

#8 Lucky Noob

• The Sovereign
  • The Sovereign
  • 1,149 posts

Posted 10 October 2022 - 05:31 PM

as most already mentioned , stay in group, and shoot the light helps alot.

I also love ARm Mounted weapons against em, realy make killing em easy.

#9 Darian DelFord

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 3,342 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 10 October 2022 - 05:50 PM

ROTFLMAO

Yet another one...... Please tell me, where did the light mech touch you?

#10 ScrapIron Prime

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,880 posts
  • LocationSmack dab in the middle of Ohio

Posted 10 October 2022 - 05:56 PM

View PostDing Toast is Ready, on 10 October 2022 - 05:13 PM, said:

I die more to high caliber ACs and PPCs than LRMs or Streaks, and especially when there's more than one of those shooting at me

Infer what you will from that

This. The one thing lights cannot stand up to is a lot of damage all at once to a single location. lasers will wash damage and most missiles spread across locations. Autocannons/Gauss and PPCs are your most effective light killers, with pulse lasers and artemis SRMs a close second.

My old school Marauder with 2 AC/5, 2 PPC, 2 ERSL does great when jumped by a piranha or two. My Archer with LRMs and ERML does not, nor does my Archer with MRMs, because both of those mechs are washing their damage across the entire piranha.

Also keep in mind that if you are outnumbered 2 to 1 or 3 to 1 by anything, you're in for a fight. it doesn't matter that 3 piranhas don't weigh as much as that one Dire Wolf, if the Dire has 3 mechs of any kind in his shorts he's in trouble.

#11 RickySpanish

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 3,514 posts

Posted 10 October 2022 - 07:30 PM

View PostVonbach, on 10 October 2022 - 05:31 PM, said:

You can always tell who the light pilots are.

Guilty as charged, but I don't play any of the Lights OP mentions as they are too easily destroyed by competent players. I play Lights so that I can position around the insanity of soup queue.

#12 RickySpanish

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 3,514 posts

Posted 10 October 2022 - 08:32 PM

View PostDing Toast is Ready, on 10 October 2022 - 08:17 PM, said:

I'm still trying to wrap my brain around the idea of a Flea, ANY FLEA, out alphaing any heavy or assault. What the **** are you putting on your heavies and assaults?

I suppose getting crit out from behind probably feels like an alpha instead of the sustained burst that it is? And have you seen what people put on their Assaults? Would not be surprised if a Flea could out alpha them.

Edited by RickySpanish, 10 October 2022 - 08:32 PM.

#13 martian

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 8,276 posts

Posted 10 October 2022 - 08:44 PM

The right place for complaining that light 'Mechs are OP and should be nerfed is here: Light Mechs Are Screwed Up

I don't really see much of a downside to these mechs, especially the Pirahna, Mist Lynx, and Flea, and many of them not only have alphas has that beat out some heavies/assaults, but also have cyclic rates that are nonsensical.

Light 'Mech can not carry as many ranged hard-hitting heavy weapons as assault 'Mech. There are not many light 'Mechs capable of carrying a pair of Heavy Gauss Rifles with a battery of lasers as backup.

Thus, well-piloted heavy or assault 'Mech can cripple or kill enemy light 'Mech before that light 'Mech even gets close.

Having to get into close range is not an issue for these mechs, as LRM's were pretty much the best way to take them down, but all of the ECM and AMS has pretty much neutered individual and unsupported LRM build.

LOL, no.

The best weapons against lights are (in the descending order):
  • good situational awareness
  • pinpoint weapons that can no be torso twisted and spread
  • pulse lasers that deliver relatively concentrated damage
  • any other weapon that you can use to hit a fragile light 'Mech that you can see

As far as I know, light 'Mechs have the worst K/D ratio, the worst MS ratio and the worst W/L ratio of all weight classes in MWO.

So how exactly can light 'Mechs be "overly easy to outscore mechs three times their weight."?

The right thread for complaining that Machine Guns are OP is here: Machine Guns Need Damage Nerf

#14 foamyesque

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 736 posts

Posted 10 October 2022 - 09:04 PM

I'm still trying to wrap my brain around the idea of a Flea, ANY FLEA, out alphaing any heavy or assault. What the **** are you putting on your heavies and assaults?

Well, there are some ballistic builds out there, or for that matter certain sniper configurations, that only get to thirty or forty alpha -- they can just sustain it forever or have more range than god, or both, neither of which is really true of a light's version. Hell, there's a very good Dire Wolf build that has a maximum alpha of sixteen.

Contrariwise, you can get a Flea out past 35 alpha. It's not a very good Flea, but you can do it. Piranhas, of course, can get into the 60+ range in their energy variants, which is pretty hilarious.

#15 jjm1

• Hell Fork
  • Hell Fork
  • 1,384 posts

Posted 10 October 2022 - 09:10 PM

Snub Urbies are the only mech I have issue with. It's just shamelessly better than the others. Pop-tarting, single group energy boat, ECM, still tanky as F, hits as hard as an AC-20 with better range and no concern for ammo. There's meant to be pros and cons in builds, this is one of the builds where the cons are too negligible.

Piranhas can also annoy me. But that's because the team allows them to lazily run around holding a button down and bagging six lurm boats.

#16 Curccu

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 4,623 posts

Posted 10 October 2022 - 11:26 PM

fle-r5k Posted Image

#17 Kanil

• 1,068 posts

Posted 10 October 2022 - 11:39 PM

View PostDing Toast is Ready, on 10 October 2022 - 06:02 PM, said:

Look at my percentage played of each weight class in Jarl's and rethink that statement

Yeah... if I say light 'mechs are bad, it's because I genuinely think they're bad, and if I think they're bad I sure as hell am not gonna play 'em, because I want to play 'mechs that are good -- y'know, assault 'mechs.

#18 Curccu

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 4,623 posts

Posted 11 October 2022 - 02:15 AM

View PostDing Toast is Ready, on 10 October 2022 - 11:38 PM, said:

...I guess that would qualify.

Wait what are those? 40 damage in 1.5 tons?

Oh it's a one shot weapon. That's why.

Yeah don't touch them, maybe the worst weapons in the game.

#19 ScrapIron Prime

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,880 posts
  • LocationSmack dab in the middle of Ohio

Posted 11 October 2022 - 02:48 AM

View PostDing Toast is Ready, on 10 October 2022 - 11:38 PM, said:

...I guess that would qualify.

Wait what are those? 40 damage in 1.5 tons?

Oh it's a one shot weapon. That's why.

‘And they’re HILARIOUS when the event queue has an “Unlimited Ammo” event. It’s exactly as bad as it sounds.

#20 Curccu

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 4,623 posts

Posted 11 October 2022 - 11:28 AM

View PostScrapIron Prime, on 11 October 2022 - 02:48 AM, said:

‘And they’re HILARIOUS when the event queue has an “Unlimited Ammo” event. It’s exactly as bad as it sounds.

damn I totally didn't think of that... gotta try next unlimited ammo event.
dv-fr might be good if medium mechs...

Edited by Curccu, 11 October 2022 - 11:32 AM.

57 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 57 guests, 0 anonymous users