65 replies to this topic

#41 martian

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 8,276 posts

Posted 09 November 2022 - 09:36 PM

View Postfoamyesque, on 09 November 2022 - 06:44 PM, said:

I was one of 'em, and it was hilarious, but I struggled a bit (as I expected -- fast assaults aren't my best play) until I swapped over to the ERPPC + ERSL config, which I actually quite enjoy. By frontloading the damage with big guns you're more able to play peek & poke games, and dual ERPPCs are plenty good for trading fire with snipers -- you might not win a trade but at least its now a *trade*, not free damage for them.

The straight up alpha number isn't the only thing that rules, here.

Of course, it was a logical decision.

#42 JediPanther

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 4,087 posts
  • LocationLost in my C1

Posted 10 November 2022 - 02:07 PM

View Postmartian, on 07 November 2022 - 09:41 PM, said:

The last weekend I saw a lot of LRMs in the game.

Not surprising when you need 9000 total match score for the "free" mech events. Mass boating lrms/atms are the easiest way to get that score faster unless you make mwo like a second job.

#43 Heavy Money

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Marauder
  • 1,275 posts

Posted 10 November 2022 - 02:59 PM

View PostJediPanther, on 10 November 2022 - 02:07 PM, said:

Not surprising when you need 9000 total match score for the "free" mech events. Mass boating lrms/atms are the easiest way to get that score faster unless you make mwo like a second job.

They really are not. But people think they are.

#44 martian

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 8,276 posts

Posted 11 November 2022 - 06:52 AM

View PostJediPanther, on 10 November 2022 - 02:07 PM, said:

I did not say that it helped them so much. Posted Image

The enemy team was running lots of LRMs: Lurmboat Stalker, a pair or Summoners running LRMs or ATMs, etc.

Also, they had a pretty good map for LRMs.

Posted Image

I took some damage early in the game. Nothing critical, but I decided to play cautiously.

I stuck to our most powerful Assaults and I protected them against enemy 'Mechs attempting to get close - that's why I have two dozens of Protection rewards. Posted Image

Posted Image

Almost forgot: I was running AMS-boat and my endgame account was almost 500 destroyed enemy LRMs/ATMs. Posted Image

I guess that those enemy LRM-boats felt a bit annoyed. Posted Image

#45 Darian DelFord

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 3,342 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 11 November 2022 - 08:01 AM

View Postmartian, on 11 November 2022 - 06:52 AM, said:

I did not say that it helped them so much. Posted Image

The enemy team was running lots of LRMs: Lurmboat Stalker, a pair or Summoners running LRMs or ATMs, etc.

Also, they had a pretty good map for LRMs.

Posted Image

I took some damage early in the game. Nothing critical, but I decided to play cautiously.

I stuck to our most powerful Assaults and I protected them against enemy 'Mechs attempting to get close - that's why I have two dozens of Protection rewards. Posted Image

Posted Image

Almost forgot: I was running AMS-boat and my endgame account was almost 500 destroyed enemy LRMs/ATMs. Posted Image

I guess that those enemy LRM-boats felt a bit annoyed. Posted Image

You just proved your a HACK...... they had a Flea 17 on the enemy team, and that should have been an auto win!!!!!!

Back to the original topic......(Not that anything is going to change) but the High Alpha's which can consistently be obtained, are the issue with TTK. I am a light player, I don't spend much time in heavies or assaults. But it amazes me when I get into my Hellbringer with a 76 point alpha every 12 seconds and ECM how quickly I can rack up damage.

#46 Heavy Money

• The Marauder
  • 1,275 posts

Posted 11 November 2022 - 02:29 PM

View PostLockheed_, on 10 November 2022 - 07:24 PM, said:

Farming match score with LRMs/ATMs sounds like a bad idea but maybe it works well in T4/5 where people just stand in the open and don't use cover? Also for those who still play with insane mouse sensitivity or have poor aim, lock-ons might actually be more effective in lower tiers than let's say boating UACs.

Yeah its probably good for inflating your damage numbers in low tiers. But you can also do that with MRMs or LBX10 or SRMs, all of which are better for actually helping your team win, which is one of the best ways to farm score.

#47 Weeny Machine

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,014 posts
  • LocationAiming for the flat top (B. Murray)

Posted 12 November 2022 - 06:08 AM

View PostJediPanther, on 07 November 2022 - 03:51 PM, said:

High alphas and the always nerfing to lrm-missile systems to where it is virtually gone from the game is why the game has become so dam boring. Everyone is too timid to find and attack now. They just want to be a turret with a boom-i-win mentality.

Hell Even when I did champion the kgc to be able to fire its ac20s at the same dam time without ghost heat it still makes kgc meek until they crawl within 300m to use it if they have any armor left from the 50-60 dual guass ppfd sobs.

As for the highest alpha on a light mech I won't say how high I've been able to get because then all the lights op bs would start and the build is very mech and weapon specific. hint: it's not a fish.

I agree to some extend but the LRM thing. If you had super effective LRMs, they would shut down the game as well because everyone would sit in cover

All I see these days is the same old laser vomit (to get a huge alpha)

Edited by Weeny Machine, 12 November 2022 - 06:09 AM.

#48 martian

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 8,276 posts

Posted 12 November 2022 - 07:51 AM

View PostWeeny Machine, on 12 November 2022 - 06:08 AM, said:

All I see these days is the same old laser vomit (to get a huge alpha)

I must admit that I am also running "the same old laser vomit". I am just having some difficulties with that "to get a huge alpha" part. Posted Image

Posted Image

When I saw that the matchmaker put us against the premade twenty minutes ago, I knew that we have a problem ...

... and when I scanned the enemy team's 'Mechs to find out that they have four assault 'Mechs against our pair of Assaults, I knew that the problem is even bigger than I originally thought.

On top of that, their team was much heavier than our team.

Posted Image

So I decided to go for the cap.

... and it worked. Posted Image

Conclusion: Sometimes you can win even without a huge laser vomit alpha. Posted Image

#49 Duke Falcon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Trinary Star Captain
  • Trinary Star Captain
  • 946 posts
  • LocationHungary

Posted 13 November 2022 - 01:35 PM

View PostDing Toast is Ready, on 06 November 2022 - 06:26 AM, said:

In a game where:

1. there are no respawns in a match (barring drop decks and that's not really the same, if they're even an option with the mode)
2. you spend nearly as much or more time waiting to get into a match and then walking to where the fight happens as you do actually fighting sometimes
3. there are builds capable of rendering your mech nearly irrelevant if you make a misstep and walk into their line of fire
4. you can't always see which blind corner is going to have an entire lance's worth of those kinds of builds waiting behind it, but you're being told to stop being so timid/cautious and play better and you know you need to do SOMETHING but not necessarily exactly WHAT

the "alphas are too high, TTK is too low" gripe has some merit.

People absolutely make mistakes with positioning and making poor trades. The game can punish you VERY hard for these mistakes, and it's not always immediately apparent why they were mistakes or how you got into the position of making these mistakes. This is a recipe for frustration and burnout. I honestly can't think of any other game that throws quite as many potential "noobtraps" around as this one, off the top of my head. Mech purchase decisions, mechlabbing, map/mode intricacies especially where builds of both teams come into play and reacting to not only what the enemy team is doing but what YOUR team is doing despite a UI/HUD that is seemingly doing its level best to hide/obfuscate information or make it impossible to parse via sheer volume of information coming through.

Also, the game is already plenty unforgiving, quit adding to it by being unforgiving to your teammates.

Ima 'ere since 2021's second mighty-month! Jus' reportin'!
I just noted that noone could 'n' would get what wanna because MWO is nor true BT nor WoT (WuT?!) or suchies.
Still, despite it's wicked deviancies MWO is still fun 'n' funny to play IMO...
Non a usefull answer fer meh again, huh?

#50 crazytimes

• Ace Of Spades
  • 1,356 posts

Posted 13 November 2022 - 07:22 PM

The magic of MWO is- there is almost no barrier to anyone getting anything they see in a match. If you see someone in a shiny mech with a nice loadout with a scary alpha- the next match you can drop in that exact same thing yourself.

The reason people don't do that, and complain instead, is because they know they won't perform anywhere near as well. This is because more than mech and alpha- player ability is a signifgant factor in the outcome. A big alpha doesn't help if you're not hitting the targets, or you're dead because you over exposed.

#51 Darian DelFord

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 3,342 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 13 November 2022 - 08:41 PM

View Postcrazytimes, on 13 November 2022 - 07:22 PM, said:

The magic of MWO is- there is almost no barrier to anyone getting anything they see in a match. If you see someone in a shiny mech with a nice loadout with a scary alpha- the next match you can drop in that exact same thing yourself.

The reason people don't do that, and complain instead, is because they know they won't perform anywhere near as well. This is because more than mech and alpha- player ability is a signifgant factor in the outcome. A big alpha doesn't help if you're not hitting the targets, or you're dead because you over exposed.

Yes and no

#52 Dr Goofy

Rookie

• 3 posts

Posted 13 November 2022 - 11:47 PM

I rarely alpha as the heat is horrible.

#53 Curccu

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 4,623 posts

Posted 14 November 2022 - 02:16 AM

View PostDr Goofy, on 13 November 2022 - 11:47 PM, said:

I rarely alpha as the heat is horrible.

Depends on your build is it horrible overall.
With some mixed weapon builds alpha is very bad usually, laservomit builds like 2-3xLPL +6xERMLs alpha is only smart way to play.

#54 PocketYoda

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,138 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 14 November 2022 - 06:52 AM

I know everyone will defend their power creep.. But the op while off a bit is not wrong, i pretty consistently play Clan mechs now just to wipe mechs out with 50-70 point damage alphas, its pretty crazy.

Its kind of over 9000 imo.

Its easy its just alpha twice then hide then alpha, hide... anything less than an Assault is pretty much DED in seconds.

Edited by PocketYoda, 14 November 2022 - 06:54 AM.

#55 Sawk

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Star Captain
  • Star Captain
  • 402 posts

Posted 17 November 2022 - 04:58 PM

AND there it is, learn to shoot and hide---------- i call it POKE and shoot , in game.
hmm so many HAVE to prove there the best pilot, or test there build, some JUST feel -- yes i SAID FEEL, there the best, young folks many times need to learn LOGIC, training : ).
I am open to solo match if you FEEL your PILOT SKILLS and BUILD works : )

SAWK CLANNER

#56 Weeny Machine

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,014 posts

Posted 18 November 2022 - 08:42 AM

It is funny that they curbed the use of snub ppcs because they would generate high alphas. A weapon where velocity plays a role and where you gave to get close around 300m with quirks and skills is seen as problematic whereas the sick laser vomit which allows alphas of around 70ish damage around 400-500m and hitscan is ok.
Yeah, I know to get the full damage you need to keep the lasers on target. However, the normal human reaction time is around 1 sec give or take which is already half of the damage. Also: this is possible with ECM mechs (Hellbringer and Mad Cat are usual culprits and a couple of assaults) which makes it quite is to target someone who is unaware.

Just saying...this won't be changed anyway.

Edited by Weeny Machine, 18 November 2022 - 08:46 AM.

#57 Ken Harkin

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 359 posts
  • LocationLong Island, New York, USA

Posted 18 November 2022 - 09:16 AM

The way to deal with Clan laser vomit alpha is to not stop moving and always be twisting. When that 60 - 70 point laser vomit is spread from my left arm to my right arm while I CT or L/RT punch you with two SPPC and an AC20 I can tell you what will happen.

Yes, it takes a second to respond and turn. The key is to already be moving and turning constantly.

#58 Darian DelFord

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 3,342 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 18 November 2022 - 09:36 AM

View PostKen Harkin, on 18 November 2022 - 09:16 AM, said:

The way to deal with Clan laser vomit alpha is to not stop moving and always be twisting. When that 60 - 70 point laser vomit is spread from my left arm to my right arm while I CT or L/RT punch you with two SPPC and an AC20 I can tell you what will happen.

Yes, it takes a second to respond and turn. The key is to already be moving and turning constantly.

Flaw in your theory.....

You assume they are aiming for your torso's.

#59 YueFei

• 2,184 posts

Posted 18 November 2022 - 10:34 AM

View PostWeeny Machine, on 18 November 2022 - 08:42 AM, said:

However, the normal human reaction time is around 1 sec give or take which is already half of the damage.

Uh, no, 0.25 seconds is the average reaction time to visual stimuli.

I'm sorry, but as a real time shooter, MWO is already pretty slow paced, and it should not need to cater to people whose reaction times to visual stimuli are 4 times slower than the average person's.

#60 Weeny Machine

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,014 posts

Posted 18 November 2022 - 12:47 PM

View PostDarian DelFord, on 18 November 2022 - 09:36 AM, said:

Flaw in your theory.....

You assume they are aiming for your torso's.

Exactly this. Especially when you are in a light and one of those huge alphas has a longer contact on your feet, it takes away quite a chunk of armour

View PostYueFei, on 18 November 2022 - 10:34 AM, said:

Uh, no, 0.25 seconds is the average reaction time to visual stimuli.

I'm sorry, but as a real time shooter, MWO is already pretty slow paced, and it should not need to cater to people whose reaction times to visual stimuli are 4 times slower than the average person's.

Sorry, you are right about the reaction time. My bad Posted Image Still, this would be a good hit and you must get your mech moving while your mech gets targeted

Edited by Weeny Machine, 18 November 2022 - 12:48 PM.

24 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 24 guests, 0 anonymous users