Thrilling T1 Gameplay

24 replies to this topic

#1 Weeny Machine

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,014 posts
  • LocationAiming for the flat top (B. Murray)

Posted 24 November 2022 - 06:32 AM

Mostly it goes like this in T1...

Strategy: Usually 2 teams sit mostly in one place at mid to long range, poptart or peek, unload their maxed alpha. Cooldown, rinse, repeat

Mechs: Usually meta spammer with laser vomit or long range laser boats. Now and then a gauss for heat reasons or ppcs to snipe are there as well. If possible an ECM should be onboard.

Summa summarum:
Cool meta. A glorified whack a mole gameplay where no one wants to risk something because the alphas hit that hard

Yes, it is a simplification but if you are honest, that's it in a nutshell.

#2 RockmachinE

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,139 posts

Posted 24 November 2022 - 06:47 AM

I think the meta sucks too, but it got a little better now that PPCs are used slightly less.

It comes down to how you play and what mechs you use, but I just do my thing. I play aggressively regardless. I keep pushing and flanking and sometimes you can see it motivates the team to move with you. Might pop off a few at long range, but I like to move in quickly. Just play your own game, you'd be surprised how well that works. I'd pretty much given up on MWO a few months ago, but I have renewed vigor now that the meta has changed slightly.

Unless you play super slow mechs or short range brawlers...then you're s*it out of luck and I feel your sorrows.

#3 martian

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 8,276 posts

Posted 24 November 2022 - 12:13 PM

View PostWeeny Machine, on 24 November 2022 - 06:32 AM, said:

Thrilling T1 Gameplay

Strategy: Usually 2 teams sit mostly in one place at mid to long range, poptart or peek, unload their maxed alpha. Cooldown, rinse, repeat

I know that many T1s do it. I even understand why they are doing it.

But I do not like this play style. Personally I find it very boring. I just prefer a different approach.

#4 Meep Meep

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,906 posts
  • LocationBehind You

Posted 24 November 2022 - 01:53 PM

This is mainly why I only play fast ecm mechs with long range weapons now. When the camping starts I can infiltrate behind the campers and screw with them. You find your enjoyment of the game however you can. Posted Image

#5 Seelenlos

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 550 posts

Posted 24 November 2022 - 02:35 PM

View PostMeep Meep, on 24 November 2022 - 01:53 PM, said:

This is mainly why I only play fast ecm mechs with long range weapons now. When the camping starts I can infiltrate behind the campers and screw with them. You find your enjoyment of the game however you can. Posted Image

Hey MeepMeep.

What ever you do, do not forget:
You move , they move, you saddenly are hit by 1000 reds, and you ask yourself, what happend, and the answer is near:
They were T2-T3, made a move forward and then back and guess who is in front alone, you!

Be cautious ;)

#6 Meep Meep

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,906 posts
  • LocationBehind You

Posted 24 November 2022 - 03:27 PM

View PostSeelenlos, on 24 November 2022 - 02:35 PM, said:

Hey MeepMeep.

What ever you do, do not forget:
You move , they move, you saddenly are hit by 1000 reds, and you ask yourself, what happend, and the answer is near:
They were T2-T3, made a move forward and then back and guess who is in front alone, you!

Be cautious Posted Image

Which is where a fast ecm mech comes into play. It's hard to get isolated when you can zip to a new position to set back up and farm a few more alphas. I also don't back myself into a corner when I infiltrate so when they turn around to come after me I already have several escape paths mentally routed out. I also try to ensure that any retreats lead them into my own teams firing line. Tricked a fair few into blindly following me into a trap. Posted Image

#7 PocketYoda

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,138 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 24 November 2022 - 07:28 PM

View PostWeeny Machine, on 24 November 2022 - 06:32 AM, said:

Mechs: Usually meta spammer with laser vomit or long range laser boats. Now and then a gauss for heat reasons or ppcs to snipe are there as well. If possible an ECM should be onboard.

Summa summarum:
Cool meta. A glorified whack a mole gameplay where no one wants to risk something because the alphas hit that hard

Yes, it is a simplification but if you are honest, that's it in a nutshell.

Well tbh tier 4 is some what the same these days.. with the occasional lurmers up the back screaming for locks and leroy jenkins running in and dying instantly then complaining why no one followed them..

But its most as you suggested.

Its why i don't play very much these days, I miss the old days when brawling was king and light mechs were an after thought.

Edited by PocketYoda, 24 November 2022 - 07:32 PM.

#8 Darian DelFord

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 3,342 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 24 November 2022 - 07:29 PM

View PostLouis Brofist, on 24 November 2022 - 06:47 AM, said:

I think the meta sucks too, but it got a little better worse now that PPCs are used slightly less more.

FTFY Posted Image

Edited by Darian DelFord, 24 November 2022 - 07:29 PM.

#9 RickySpanish

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 3,514 posts
  • LocationWubbing your comrades

Posted 24 November 2022 - 07:46 PM

I actually don't mind those sorts of games, it's a nice break from one side losing two 'Mechs immediately due to stupidity and then getting rolled in 2 minutes.

#10 crazytimes

• Ace Of Spades
  • 1,356 posts

Posted 24 November 2022 - 09:39 PM

Not sure I see the problem.

People playing the meta is fairly normal in most games with any kind of grind or skill differentiation. Why waste time playing a sub-optimal build in a sub-optimal way just so you can high five yourself in a loss and say "but at least I didn't play the best I could so I am morally superior"?

It's a free to play game. If you don't like it, don't play it. Definitely don't play faction or comp because you won't like that play style at all.

#11 VeeOt Dragon

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 1,212 posts
  • LocationHell

Posted 25 November 2022 - 04:09 AM

for someone like me its more that Fun outweighs meta every time. meta tends to be boring and gets stale fast (at least for me). yeah i try to optimize a build but in the constraints of what i am wanting to do with it. i build something that sounds fun and then take it out for a couple matches. if it doesn't do how i expect i tweak it until till i get it right. thats all part of the fun as well, the experimentation.

i like verity, i want to pop that hill or turn that corner and see a mech and NOT automatically know what its packing before i even pres R.

Edited by VeeOt Dragon, 25 November 2022 - 04:12 AM.

#12 VeeOt Dragon

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 1,212 posts
  • LocationHell

Posted 25 November 2022 - 04:41 AM

as an example of fun over meta, take my Annoyance Urbie (Keep in mind i built this before the buff to L-PPC)

UM-R63 (3 L-PPC, 3 MG (1 1/2t ammo), 1 AMS (1/2t ammo) running an LE-170 with 4 DHS, Endo, and LFF)

its not optimal at all given that the R63 is heavily quirked for LBX but it is a blast to play. (also anything moving faster than about 100 kph gives me a headache if i pilot it so the Urbie is the only light mech i play)

another that i enjoy is my Stalker-3FB

STK-3FB (2 ER LLs, 2 MLs, 2 LRM-15 (4t ammo), 1 L-AMS, running an LE-300 with 6 DHS, ECM, Beagle Probe, and LFF)

this is just the current iteration of my 3FB as it often gets shifted around. i just like the mech so am always trying differing things with it. actually its about time for a new build on it. might have to think a bit. (i think the current build was me making an attempt to make better use of the quirk pass the mech got as it got Target Decay Duration and a Sensor range boost). its a fun build but by far less than optimal

Edited by VeeOt Dragon, 25 November 2022 - 04:50 AM.

#13 1Exitar1

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 253 posts
  • LocationSomewhere in the Milkyway Galaxy

Posted 25 November 2022 - 08:15 AM

2 team sit in one place? Every team I have been on for the last couple of days doesn't know how to stand still!! All they seem to do is run around in circles. There wasn't a single match where we didn't end up back where we started after going completely around the map.

STOP ROTATING!!

#14 D A T A

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Death Star
  • Death Star
  • 892 posts
  • LocationCasamassima, Bari, south Italy

Posted 25 November 2022 - 12:33 PM

if you want to see what's current meta, go watch championship series 2022 on mwo leagues twitch......current meta is literally running around at 70 kph minimum and bring as many machineguns and red lasers as you possibly can, and then go bumper cars mode......that's literally the only viable play strat when you involve people who actually know what they are talking about and don't write nonsense just for the sake of ranting against something they don't even comprehend.

Edited by D A T A, 25 November 2022 - 12:36 PM.

#15 D A T A

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Death Star
  • Death Star
  • 892 posts
  • LocationCasamassima, Bari, south Italy

Posted 25 November 2022 - 12:39 PM

View Post1Exitar1, on 25 November 2022 - 08:15 AM, said:

2 team sit in one place? Every team I have been on for the last couple of days doesn't know how to stand still!! All they seem to do is run around in circles. There wasn't a single match where we didn't end up back where we started after going completely around the map.

STOP ROTATING!!

this is actually the truth, not *what [redacted] i read in the first post up the top

Edited by Ekson Valdez, 28 November 2022 - 05:08 AM.

#16 Bassault

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2023 Gold Champ
  • CS 2023 Gold Champ
  • 392 posts

Posted 25 November 2022 - 03:22 PM

View PostLockheed_, on 25 November 2022 - 03:13 PM, said:

True, it's really fun to watch and great entertainment! I enjoy this years league streams much more than last years. I mean who wants to see a DWF sitting in one spot, not moving an inch and putting blue lasers and gauss in a target 1000m away until the end of the match?

Mindless horde of bees shooting machine-guns everywhere in big moshpit gets stale real fast

#17 Knownswift

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 269 posts

Posted 25 November 2022 - 03:24 PM

Yeah I dunno.

Looks like trading and wolf-packing was about evenly split.

Haven't seen the final match yet, but I bet JGX runs 3-5 traders and 3-4 wolfpack just like everyone else this year.

#18 RockmachinE

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,139 posts

Posted 25 November 2022 - 04:08 PM

View PostD A T A, on 25 November 2022 - 12:33 PM, said:

if you want to see what's current meta, go watch championship series 2022 on mwo leagues twitch......current meta is literally running around at 70 kph minimum and bring as many machineguns and red lasers as you possibly can, and then go bumper cars mode......that's literally the only viable play strat when you involve people who actually know what they are talking about and don't write nonsense just for the sake of ranting against something they don't even comprehend.

That's not relevant to QP. There's competitive meta and then there's your average QP drop.

QP plays completely differently than competitive. Its still long range oriented, better than it was a few months ago, but still the emphasis is on longer ranges. You might see 1 or 2 mechs with builds like what you describe in a game, but that's it, usually none. Maybe a few knife fight lights.

Competitive players and top percentile try hard group drops are in their own world which is not relevant to 90% of the player base, they play a different game, their view of MWO is different from solo or casual QPs, which represent the majority of the playerbase and drive most of QP drops.

Edited by Louis Brofist, 25 November 2022 - 04:29 PM.

#19 Weeny Machine

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,014 posts

Posted 26 November 2022 - 02:32 AM

You compare fully organized groups to games where there is a mix of pugs and groups. Apples and oranges. But hey, common sense...

"sake of ranting against something they don't even comprehend.

Oh, the irony considering that you forget several factors in your enternal wisdom and ultimum iudicium of caesar DATA. See above.

View PostD A T A, on 25 November 2022 - 12:39 PM, said:

this is actually the truth, not *what [redacted] i read in the first post up the top

Oh no, this sounds as if a MG mech touched your ERLL turret DW again.

Edited by Ekson Valdez, 28 November 2022 - 05:10 AM.
quote clean-up

#20 Weeny Machine

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,014 posts

Posted 26 November 2022 - 03:11 AM

View PostI LOVE ANNIHILATORS, on 25 November 2022 - 03:22 PM, said:

Mindless horde of bees shooting machine-guns everywhere in big moshpit gets stale real fast

But turret mode is more entertaining? Ok...

10 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 10 guests, 0 anonymous users