10 replies to this topic

#1 O s t d a r v a

• Pip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 18 posts

Posted 26 November 2022 - 09:05 AM

Hello everyone,

Was just wondering if there was a timeline we're following that can be referenced here and if there will be any sort of new tech becoming available? Or is this it?

Any thoughts appreciated!

Edited by O s t d a r v a, 26 November 2022 - 09:06 AM.

#2 w0qj

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Territorial
  • The Territorial
  • 3,431 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationAt your 6 :)

Posted 26 November 2022 - 09:49 AM

Present MWO weapons/equipment follows the MWO Civil War timeline:
https://mwomercs.com/civil-war-update

- - - - - - - - - -
As for dreaming about future timeline:

May I suggest this, which is achievable already within the existing MWO engine, given enough manpower/resources (OK, everything but the combat pet part anyways):

- - - - - - - - - -
Let's dream big!

MWO Timeline Expansion (the first one since the Civil War timeline expansion)

Omnimechs for Inner Sphere (with LE Light Engines)!
New Mech chassis such as Stone Rhino!
New Hero Atlas with ballistic Left Torso *and* Right Torso!
IS gets advanced ATM!, Binary Lasers,
IS gets Silver bullet gauss, Binary lasers or Hyper assault gauss (credits: Beffa)

Clan gets advanced ER-Pulse-Laser, MRM, RAC, and PPC! New mech chassis!
Angel ECM! Bloodhound Active Probe! Clan set bonus relaxed to Set-of-7 (SO7)!

Premium Combat pets (Elemental, Elemental IIC, Pollux tanks, helicopters, etc.)!

More brand new maps!

Deepened Faction Play experience!

Love to dream big Posted Image

#3 Duke Falcon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Nova Captain
  • Nova Captain
  • 891 posts
  • LocationHungary

Posted 26 November 2022 - 11:01 AM

View Postw0qj, on 26 November 2022 - 09:49 AM, said:

Present MWO weapons/equipment follows the MWO Civil War timeline:
https://mwomercs.com/civil-war-update

- - - - - - - - - -
As for dreaming about future timeline:

May I suggest this, which is achievable already within the existing MWO engine, given enough manpower/resources (OK, everything but the combat pet part anyways):

- - - - - - - - - -
Let's dream big!

MWO Timeline Expansion (the first one since the Civil War timeline expansion) <Anything but not Dark Age pretty please! DF

Omnimechs for Inner Sphere (with LE Light Engines)! <XL anyway, hard-wired, sorry... DF
New Mech chassis such as Stone Rhino! <Shrike! Shrike, all the way!!! DF
New Hero Atlas with ballistic Left Torso *and* Right Torso! <Atlas 2 perhaps? DF
IS gets advanced ATM!, Binary Lasers,
IS gets Silver bullet gauss, Binary lasers or Hyper assault gauss (credits: Beffa)

Clan gets advanced ER-Pulse-Laser, MRM, RAC, and PPC! New mech chassis! <Clans have HAG, no IS, Gauss-RAC :) DF
Angel ECM! Bloodhound Active Probe! Clan set bonus relaxed to Set-of-7 (SO7)!

Premium Combat pets (Elemental, Elemental IIC, Pollux tanks, helicopters, etc.)!

More brand new maps!

Deepened Faction Play experience! <Keep FP alive at first somehow! DF

Love to dream big Posted Image

Big dream are the ones most often disappointing...

#4 martian

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,880 posts

Posted 26 November 2022 - 12:19 PM

View PostO s t d a r v a, on 26 November 2022 - 09:05 AM, said:

Hello everyone,

Greetings!

Was just wondering if there was a timeline we're following that can be referenced here ...

Many years ago there was a plan: One day in MWO would equate one day in the fictional BattleTech universe, starting with the Clan invasion of 3050. In theory, the IS and Clan players would replay various battles of 3050s and 3060s.

PGI has abandoned this plan. If I remember correctly, there had been one or two "timeline restarts" and after that we have jumped to mid-3060s anyway. Posted Image

If you wish to have some rough idea, currently we are in the final years of the FedCom Civil War (let us say 3066 or so). Not that it matters, since there is practically no connection between the BattleTech universe and MWO.

... and if there will be any sort of new tech becoming available? Or is this it?

Nobody knows. The current PGI's MWO staff is very limited - something like 4-5 people working on MWO.

If I can give you some advice: Enjoy MWO as it is, and enjoy it while it lasts. There is no definite plan regarding adding new 'Mechs, new weapons or new equipment.

Any thoughts appreciated!

I agree that adding some new tech to MWO would be nice. But realistically, this will not probably happen any time soon. The PGI's MWO resources are very very limited, unless EG7 steps in.

What the players would like to see?
Jump to the Jihad era. New 'Mechs (specifically, Word of Blake 'Mechs). New weapons (Plasma Gun, Plasma Cannon, Hyper Assault Gauss Rifle, etc.). New equipment (advanced types of armor, 'Mech Taser, etc.).

What will we possibly get?
Some map adjustments and maybe some map bugs fixes. If we are really lucky, maybe some new map(s).
Some new variants of existing 'Mechs, especially if game assets ('Mech parts, etc.) already exist.
Perhaps one or two new weapons, if existing assets can be reused or adjusted.
Maybe a new 'Mech in 2023, with the permission of Cthulhu and if the stars are right.

#5 Gagis

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,731 posts

Posted 26 November 2022 - 01:02 PM

At this point in the games lifespan, there will probably never be another tech update.

Besides, new tech past 3049 in battletech is just crazy power creep with very little gameplay depth added.

#6 Void Angel

• The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 6,616 posts
  • LocationParanoiaville

Posted 26 November 2022 - 02:18 PM

I like the weapons we have now; MRMs and alternate laser/ppc types flesh out the arsenals of both tech bases, and LFEs give the Inner Sphere a much-needed middle ground between Inner Sphere and Clan XLs. But at this point I think they've got enough to do balancing what we have for the forseeable future. Speculation about the IP license aside, I don't think it's going to be likely (or useful) to see an update with more technology before the engine ages out of usefulness.

Edited by Void Angel, 26 November 2022 - 02:19 PM.

#7 O s t d a r v a

• Pip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 18 posts

Posted 26 November 2022 - 05:36 PM

WOW, lots of great input here. Thank you for your reflections everyone. I sure hope that there is still some tech content coming down the line. Sure in the Battletech universe tech may be a power creep, but ultimately that issue can be resolved with in-game balancing.

#8 martian

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,880 posts

Posted 27 November 2022 - 10:13 AM

View PostGagis, on 26 November 2022 - 01:02 PM, said:

At this point in the games lifespan, there will probably never be another tech update.

I think that PGI "could" add something relatively simple, like Plasma weapons. Create one weapon model, just with some small artistic differences between IS and Clan version. Create one special effect, again just with small artistic differences (IS would be more reddish in colour, the Clan version would be more bluish). A big size Flamer, so to speak, but firing single shots instead of the usual continous flame.

It would make the life of some laser boats more interesting. Posted Image

View PostGagis, on 26 November 2022 - 01:02 PM, said:

Besides, new tech past 3049 in battletech is just crazy power creep with very little gameplay depth added.

I beg to differ.

First Free Worlds Guards vs. Alpha Galaxy of Clan Wolf
Posted Image

Thirteenth Principes Guards vs. Fifth McCarron's Armored Cavalry
Posted Image

Various C3 networks, advanced types of armor, alternative autocannon ammo types, TSM-equipped 'Mechs, Battle Armor, truly effective and powerful combat vehicles, VTOLs and WiGEs, MMLs / ATMs, etc.

I think that all these items - and many other - do make the game more interesting, for me at least.

#9 Duke Falcon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Nova Captain
  • Nova Captain
  • 891 posts
  • LocationHungary

Posted 27 November 2022 - 01:21 PM

I think that PGI "could" add something relatively simple, like Plasma weapons. Create one weapon model, just with some small artistic differences between IS and Clan version. Create one special effect, again just with small artistic differences (IS would be more reddish in colour, the Clan version would be more bluish). A big size Flamer, so to speak, but firing single shots instead of the usual continous flame.

Could we also have HAGs then? Clans need some compensation for HGauss and RACs and HAG could be essentially a Gauss RAC. Just a wee cooler.
C3 would be interesting IF people willing to communicate\share intels (hit R to say at least)...

#10 PelinalWhitestrake

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 144 posts
  • LocationHell

Posted 28 November 2022 - 07:12 AM

PIG will never push the timeline to the ilKhan era, which should be at this rate.

And now that Dennis the Thrice Cursed dev left, there is no Crytek wizard to work with this game anymore and fix the horrors he did to the mech models.

#11 martian

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,880 posts

Posted 02 December 2022 - 10:06 PM

View PostPelinalWhitestrake, on 28 November 2022 - 07:12 AM, said:

PIG will never push the timeline to the ilKhan era, which should be at this rate.

IlKhan era? We would be lucky to hear that PGI is planning the Jihad era timeline jump. Unfortunately, this will probably never happen.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users