• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Territorial
  • The Territorial
  • 3,367 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationAt your 6 :)

Posted 03 December 2022 - 06:54 PM

UAV has vanilla range of 240m, so you almost have to beside enemies, pop up UAV for UAV detection!

Quick+dirty way: Equip 2x Seismic Sensor nodes, and when you stop at corner, you "see" the red mini-radar movements around you, pop up UAV, and a well placed one should net you a few UAV detection! Preferably UAV detection also net you Scouting bonuses (enemy mechs which have not been "spotted" before).

(By the way, pressing "R" might give you Scouting bonus, but this is done by your mech, and not your UAV.
Hence pressing "R" would never give you UAV detection).

Good luck!

View PostErtur, on 03 December 2022 - 06:14 PM, said:

Love the idea, but is anyone else having issues getting the UAV one? I've popped a couple of UAV's, had the enemies appear on my radar, hit R to target them even, and still have 0 UAV detections. Is this something where I have to hope that someone else hits 'r?' If so this'll be a long month.

Edited by w0qj, 03 December 2022 - 06:56 PM.

#22 martian

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,574 posts

Posted 04 December 2022 - 12:07 AM

Love the idea, but is anyone else having issues getting the UAV one? I've popped a couple of UAV's, had the enemies appear on my radar, hit R to target them even, and still have 0 UAV detections.

You do not have to target those 'Mechs, i.e. you do not have to press R.

Is this something where I have to hope that someone else hits 'r?'

No, your UAV can detect enemy 'Mechs itself.

If so this'll be a long month.

If you did not get the "UAV Detection" reward, then it means that some of your team mates has already detected those enemy 'Mechs before you launched your UAV.

The "UAV Detection" happens when your own UAV (that you personally launched) detects previously undetected enemy 'Mech.

I dropped in the game to make a suitable scren captures, so check them, please:

1. I launched my UAV.

2. A few seconds later I got the first "UAV Detection" reward.
Posted Image

3. A second later I got my second and third "UAV Detection" reward.
Posted Image

That's it! Day 3 challenge completed. Posted Image

Should you encounter any difficulties on your way to Tier 1, you can always ask here: New Player Help

#23 simon1812

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 531 posts

Posted 04 December 2022 - 09:29 PM

View Postmartian, on 02 December 2022 - 10:12 PM, said:

You will probably get a free 'Mech (or maybe two) just for playing one mission.

No, it is not. You can do this way, if you like.

Actually, some people have been asking for daily challenges or events. But this Daily Advent Event is not one.

All those daily events can be completed on the last day of the event.

Honestly? I was expecting something like the event where we fought like a solaris kinda matches to determines which mech would become the free mech of ...I forgot which month was it...but that was fun.

#24 KrocodockleTheBooBoxLoader-GetIn

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Deadly
  • The Deadly
  • 337 posts

Posted 05 December 2022 - 07:57 AM

Some of the rewards are pointless to redeem

#25 martian

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,574 posts

Posted 05 December 2022 - 08:07 AM

View PostKrocodockleTheBooBoxLoader-GetIn, on 05 December 2022 - 07:57 AM, said:

Some of the rewards are pointless to redeem

Such as?

#26 Roodkapje

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 577 posts

Posted 05 December 2022 - 11:19 AM

View PostKhalcruth, on 03 December 2022 - 02:52 PM, said:

Heaven forbid people should be incentivized to play regularly, even daily. What a horrible horrible thing it would be to get more people online every day.

View PostLockheed_, on 03 December 2022 - 04:25 PM, said:

some people feel entitled to getting every single reward in a game and if they can't play for a day they pull the victim card.

I have missed the first 4 days and if I can get those awards today for example then our P.G.I. friends have done a much better job than many other developers out there IMHO :)

Also : I dislike games forcing their playerbase to log in every day for some award or ingame items! :(

#27 Roodkapje

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 577 posts

Posted 05 December 2022 - 11:23 AM

View Postw0qj, on 03 December 2022 - 06:54 PM, said:

UAV has vanilla range of 240m, so you almost have to beside enemies, pop up UAV for UAV detection!

Quick+dirty way: Equip 2x Seismic Sensor nodes, and when you stop at corner, you "see" the red mini-radar movements around you, pop up UAV, and a well placed one should net you a few UAV detection! Preferably UAV detection also net you Scouting bonuses (enemy mechs which have not been "spotted" before).

One Kintaro Chassis has the following out of the box :
- Seismis Sensor
- Additonal Range Quirk for it.
- Can have 2 x UAV equipped IIRC

It's basically a Scout mech that can be a great Lights Hunter with :
- Steak SRM 2
- Light PPC
- Light TAG
- BAP

I believe it was either the KTO-19 or KTO-20 :)

#28 Ertur

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 565 posts

Posted 05 December 2022 - 08:25 PM

View Postmartian, on 04 December 2022 - 12:07 AM, said:

You do not have to target those 'Mechs, i.e. you do not have to press R.

No, your UAV can detect enemy 'Mechs itself.

If you did not get the "UAV Detection" reward, then it means that some of your team mates has already detected those enemy 'Mechs before you launched your UAV.

The "UAV Detection" happens when your own UAV (that you personally launched) detects previously undetected enemy 'Mech.

I dropped in the game to make a suitable scren captures, so check them, please:

1. I launched my UAV.

2. A few seconds later I got the first "UAV Detection" reward.
Posted Image

3. A second later I got my second and third "UAV Detection" reward.
Posted Image

That's it! Day 3 challenge completed. Posted Image

Should you encounter any difficulties on your way to Tier 1, you can always ask here: New Player Help

T1 is overrated.

Anyways, thanks for the answer. I didn't realize it had to be a new detection.

#29 martian

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,574 posts

Posted 05 December 2022 - 09:07 PM

View PostErtur, on 05 December 2022 - 08:25 PM, said:

T1 is overrated.

Anyways, thanks for the answer. I didn't realize it had to be a new detection.

You are welcome.

#30 D V Devnull

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 4,245 posts
  • LocationUnknown... Except for the stars, it's kind of dark here!

Posted 06 December 2022 - 03:23 AM

View Postmartian, on 02 December 2022 - 10:12 PM, said:

Actually, some people have been asking for daily challenges or events. But this Daily Advent Event is not one.

All those daily events can be completed on the last day of the event.

View PostKhalcruth, on 03 December 2022 - 02:52 PM, said:

Heaven forbid people should be incentivized to play regularly, even daily. What a horrible horrible thing it would be to get more people online every day.

View PostLockheed_, on 03 December 2022 - 04:25 PM, said:

some people feel entitled to getting every single reward in a game and if they can't play for a day they pull the victim card.

View PostRoodkapje, on 05 December 2022 - 11:19 AM, said:

I have missed the first 4 days and if I can get those awards today for example then our P.G.I. friends have done a much better job than many other developers out there IMHO Posted Image

Also : I dislike games forcing their playerbase to log in every day for some award or ingame items! Posted Image

Hey people... I get where some of you happen to desire a "Daily Challenge" item to do. It gives you something fresh to attempt for at random, right? The thing is, like I remarked before, End-Of-Year Holiday Events are explicitly NOT the place to execute that kind of thing. The whole concept of "Daily Challenges" should be off in another module that runs asynchronously from the current "Running Events" module which we have now. It should probably also have the ability to pin up to three Daily Challenges to be held onto until completed or dumped. Examples of how that works would be like what "Fortnite" or "Call Of Duty" (or another such game) has, or like what "MW5:Mercs" (the whole "Cantina" thing, if you know what I'm talking about) has in terms of design. This would allow people to choose between having more spontaneous items, or choosing to let those slip by in order to temporarily hold onto a much-wanted one in order to get the Bounty from being able to complete it. Like if they have no pins, then they might have up to five or six new dynamic ones. But if they had three pins, then they could only see two or three new dynamic ones at a time, with the rest slipping by unseen at the time. :huh:

This said, it happens that I am left to note something further on the converse. Trying to force people to play — or be punished for not doing so — tends to have exactly the opposite effect of what it was meant to cause. Where you may want to push people to have to come in-game daily in order to get stuff, it so happens that such a cold & harsh (perhaps what could even be considered "criminal, condescending, and mis-entitled" by others) mentality on the part of the people pushing such a forceful byline when dealing with Holiday Events and other similar things will instead result in people walking away. One might even go so far as to consider such punishments to be "toxic bullying" in nature, which never has a place within the MWO environment at any time. Most people do not accept being wrongfully punished by the game — and should never (particularly during the Holiday Season period) have to — when their offline world keeps them from playing online. This is explicitly NOT a matter of "Victims" or "Entitlement" on the part of the people being done wrong upon here. It's a matter of what is kind & right, and being generally Community-Friendly in mental nature, as that is what MWO needs in order to thrive. :mellow:

And in case you're wondering, it happens that I have turned my back on at least a few of the current Running Events type of stuff earlier this year. That is what happens when something has been set up in a manner where I explicitly have no chance to play without causing severe trouble where I happen to live. I can be reasonably certain that others have fallen afoul of the same plight at one point or another as well. :(

If the bundle of End-Of-Year Holiday Events had been set up in such a manner, then I would have had to do the same. (Good thing they are not set up in a bad manner!) As equally sadly, it happens that I do not like shorting the queues even one person, because of how the low population affects the MatchMaker and how that then cascades into worse Match Quality for everyone logged on at the time. But when things push to the point of forcing me to put everything in proper perspective, then I get left seeing that I would have been the bad person for trying to force my way through to playing MWO at that time. Not everyone can be on 24/7/365 to MWO in this world. -_-

Also of note, some players might even prefer the quiet which is occurring during some stages of MWO's Advent Event package. As it is, the longer that someone delays playing, and the more that they want everything, then the higher the chance that there is going to be a late-month burst of people being online for extended periods in order to complete whatever is not done yet. That will drive up the player counts to the chagrin of people who wanted it quiet later on, so some of the quiet crowd are likely on now in an attempt to not have to worry so much later, which gives others the situation of having some people to play against anyway. Simply put, even if you want to have a massive number of people on all the time, you can not get more than those actually able to be on at the time, even with Events like these. Trust me when I tell you MWO's environment is going to change over the course of this month, and the experiences of various players are going to very much differ depending on what they thrive in. Making everyone have to be constantly all on at once would only cause MWO-related burnout which would collapse the player count to death... I'm sure none of you want that, right? ;)

For reference before I sign off here, it's also worth making the note that this issue was discussed around & during a previous End-Of-Year Holiday Event (maybe more than one) in some level of thought. The final consensus is what we are running on now, and have been for several years at this point. It would literally take some rather cold & harsh (again, perhaps what could even be considered "criminal, condescending, and mis-entitled" by others) behavior to fall back into where things were before the current system of operation. And thinking about it, the current system is also financially beneficial for PGI in that kindness usually begets Real $$$ Sales simply pouring into their pockets, which keeps MWO's lights on as well for the future! Going backwards into the previous system design would actually steal from PGI in that regard, so it's rather gravely not worth reversing such a change now, nor would it ever be a good idea to downgrade things like that. <_<

~D. V. "It's seriously wrong to not accept others having things beyond MWO's environment... period." Devnull

(p.s.: I also do not like having to go all wall-of-text like this, but some people had it coming to them....... Gggrrrrrrrrrrrr!!!)

#31 Khalcruth

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Hero of Steiner
  • Hero of Steiner
  • 808 posts
  • LocationYou gotta lose your mind in Detroit! Rock City!

Posted 08 December 2022 - 06:06 PM

Criminal? Are you completely out of your mind? Go peddle your special snowflakeness somewhere else. If you don't have time to play, then don't play, and don't blame or try to penalize those that do. There was certainly no mythical consensus reached in the past that your "casual at all costs" method is the best way to run events.

#32 Roodkapje

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 577 posts

Posted 11 December 2022 - 09:12 AM

View PostKhalcruth, on 08 December 2022 - 06:06 PM, said:

Criminal? Are you completely out of your mind? Go peddle your special snowflakeness somewhere else. If you don't have time to play, then don't play, and don't blame or try to penalize those that do. There was certainly no mythical consensus reached in the past that your "casual at all costs" method is the best way to run events.

Sometimes he reacts to other replies in a very strange way for some reason...?!

Even blamed me once of forcing him to reply to some topic while he had no time to do it or something and later even apologised to me! Posted Image

I guess the best thing to do is just ignore him in such cases Posted Image

#33 Henry Casdin

Rookie

• Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 5 posts
  • LocationCapital Wasteland, Earth

Posted 22 December 2022 - 01:58 PM

Hey Matt and Daeron-

Any reason the 1st 5 days event timers end 9 days before the rest of the event?

#34 martian

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,574 posts

Posted 23 December 2022 - 11:44 AM

View PostHenry Casdin, on 22 December 2022 - 01:58 PM, said:

Hey Matt and Daeron-

Any reason the 1st 5 days event timers end 9 days before the rest of the event?

If you have already completed those early daily events, you can still redeem the rewards.

#35 Discojaddi

• PipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 56 posts

Posted 23 December 2022 - 05:34 PM

View Postmartian, on 23 December 2022 - 11:44 AM, said:

If you have already completed those early daily events, you can still redeem the rewards.

Ah, see, that's the issue. I checked when the event started, wouldn't have time to grind out everything with a busy season approaching. Found out I missed day 5 and just... cant do it now?

#36 martian

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,574 posts

Posted 23 December 2022 - 08:04 PM

View PostDiscojaddi, on 23 December 2022 - 05:34 PM, said:

Ah, see, that's the issue. I checked when the event started, wouldn't have time to grind out everything with a busy season approaching. Found out I missed day 5 and just... cant do it now?

That's a pity. You missed the deadline. Who is to blame?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users