Gameplay

15 replies to this topic

#1 TriggerHappyPacifist

• PipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • 33 posts
  • LocationSeattle Eastside

Posted 10 December 2022 - 12:26 PM

Yet another match where MM took twice as long as the actual match. *** hats immediately capped our base with super fast cap quirk.

Not fun. I don't mind losing to the objective, but seriously, this sucks. Stay behind you say? Guard the cap, you say? In today's PUG world of supercharged NASCAR, good luck with that.

#2 w0qj

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Territorial
  • The Territorial
  • 3,439 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationAt your 6 :)

Posted 10 December 2022 - 12:31 PM

There's a related forum thread being discussed here as well:

[Assault] That One Time In Event Queue...
https://mwomercs.com...-in-event-queue

#3 Meep Meep

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,768 posts
  • LocationBehind You

Posted 10 December 2022 - 02:48 PM

View PostTriggerHappyPacifist, on 10 December 2022 - 12:26 PM, said:

Yet another match where MM took twice as long as the actual match. *** hats immediately capped our base with super fast cap quirk.

Not fun. I don't mind losing to the objective, but seriously, this sucks. Stay behind you say? Guard the cap, you say? In today's PUG world of supercharged NASCAR, good luck with that.

Complaining about lemming behavior in a mode where it randomly selects 24 players who are mostly solo drops is a bit of a rant yes? Nothing to be done about it other than lance up and use voip to coordinate your own lance and hopefully get some pugs to follow along.

#4 pbiggz

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,684 posts
  • LocationOutreach

Posted 10 December 2022 - 08:38 PM

View PostBy Any Other Name, on 10 December 2022 - 07:41 PM, said:

Assault modes usually drop you near your base.

Now, this might not be feasible on every map but what if you set up a good firing line with some degree of overwatch on your cap instead of running to the middle and circling about apropos of nothing in particular?

Not aimed at you in particular, but as a general thought.

Its not impossible to stage a defense, but so long as you can end a match quicker just by killing the other team, and for better money, people just do that. OP is annoyed because someone dared to base cap rather than just play skirmish with extra steps. I get it, and its not his fault; assault is definitely a game mode that would benefit from some form of respawning.

#5 sycocys

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 7,600 posts

Posted 10 December 2022 - 09:07 PM

I mean its assault mode and you are presumably all tier 1 and tier 2 players. So "defend the base" shouldn't really be much of an issue solo drop or not.

Folks manage to do it in tier 5 solo drop matches, not really sure why it should be so hard for players that grinded their way up the tiers to pull off.

#6 TriggerHappyPacifist

• PipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • 33 posts
  • LocationSeattle Eastside

Posted 11 December 2022 - 12:26 PM

View PostMeep Meep, on 10 December 2022 - 02:48 PM, said:

Complaining about lemming behavior in a mode where it randomly selects 24 players who are mostly solo drops is a bit of a rant yes? Nothing to be done about it other than lance up and use voip to coordinate your own lance and hopefully get some pugs to follow along.

Well, yes, it is a rant. On the other hand, I did make a suggestion along the way. And I *think* it would work in lemming mode without penalizing teamwork, either.

#7 Meep Meep

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,768 posts
  • LocationBehind You

Posted 11 December 2022 - 12:40 PM

What suggestion was that?

#8 Der Geisterbaer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 800 posts

Posted 11 December 2022 - 12:56 PM

View PostMeep Meep, on 11 December 2022 - 12:40 PM, said:

What suggestion was that?

Re-read the thread's title?

#9 Knownswift

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 269 posts

Posted 11 December 2022 - 12:58 PM

What if instead any time you stepped on the assault cap an unseen group of people threw garbage at your mech and boo'd you.

#10 Kanil

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,067 posts

Posted 11 December 2022 - 03:09 PM

View Postpbiggz, on 10 December 2022 - 08:38 PM, said:

Its not impossible to stage a defense, but so long as you can end a match quicker just by killing the other team, and for better money, people just do that.

It's also, y'know... more fun than standing in a square.

Mercifully the "NASCAR past one another and stand in square" matches are very rare, but they're extremely pointless and wastes of time when they do happen.

Edited by Kanil, 11 December 2022 - 03:09 PM.

#11 crazytimes

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,330 posts

Posted 13 December 2022 - 02:01 PM

It's a very unusual outcome. Capping usually results in a loss- I've started a screenshot collection to compile at some point. One person capping is worse than an AFK- they know exactly where the person is and can ignore them. Two or three that aren't spiders aren't much better. It's a long timer- and 12v9 on the field will usually end quick enough for them to get back.

That said, I bought a spider for the snub fun, and my first match I just sat on the cap and was completely ignored. My team was getting wiped, but we won, and I got almost nothing to grind the skills, so never did it again.

#12 sycocys

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 7,600 posts

Posted 13 December 2022 - 09:35 PM

If you want it to be about the game mode (defending your base) then they should have a big ole circle around it and a timer that runs down if at least 1 lance isn't in it - then go to a base that you can only destroy while in the circle instead of capping. Base only unlocks after x time or opposing lance is destroyed.

Third zone in the middle/side that unlocks your teams base to be fought over by the third lance- 2/3 gets the win.

Most of the (at least the newer) maps have plenty of space you could do that and drop out the lances spread out enough to highly encourage that the game mode is played out rather than just a skirmish match or attempted rush.

If you want modes that encourage against skirmish/deathball play, the first thing you need to do is spread the match out enough that it's more efficient to take on the mode than slam together in a ball. Some maps should probably only have skirmish unless they are being played 8v8 or less. Or Domination, but that mode is effectively just skirmish with a preset fighting location.

#13 Gasboy

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 352 posts

Posted 15 December 2022 - 07:58 AM

View Postcrazytimes, on 13 December 2022 - 02:01 PM, said:

It's a very unusual outcome. Capping usually results in a loss- I've started a screenshot collection to compile at some point. One person capping is worse than an AFK- they know exactly where the person is and can ignore them. Two or three that aren't spiders aren't much better. It's a long timer- and 12v9 on the field will usually end quick enough for them to get back.

That said, I bought a spider for the snub fun, and my first match I just sat on the cap and was completely ignored. My team was getting wiped, but we won, and I got almost nothing to grind the skills, so never did it again.

Unless you've got a spreadsheet with hundreds or thousands of matches detailed, your claim about capping usually results in a loss is iffy at best. Two or three lights in your base can lose you the game quickly, especially if your team is reluctant to go and do anything about it. If you pick the right time to cap, then it's a really easy win. Especially if the mechs doing the capping can fight off or kill the mechs that show up first to try and stop the cap.

What loses you the game is when people choose their timing poorly. Having two or three of your team's mechs desperately trying to cap while the entire enemy team shows up to stop the cap is how capping can lose you the game. Not going back to defend your cap when you really should is how capping can lose you the game.

Capping when the enemy team has to choose between losing the to the cap, or turning around to get gunned down from behind? That's a great time to cap, and can win you the game.

As for the suggestion for no capping in the first 5 minutes? Nah. If the red team is able to pick the right time to cap, and are successful, why penalize them for using good strategy and tactics?

#14 pbiggz

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,684 posts
  • LocationOutreach

Posted 15 December 2022 - 01:14 PM

View PostGasboy, on 15 December 2022 - 07:58 AM, said:

Unless you've got a spreadsheet with hundreds or thousands of matches detailed, your claim about capping usually results in a loss is iffy at best. Two or three lights in your base can lose you the game quickly, especially if your team is reluctant to go and do anything about it. If you pick the right time to cap, then it's a really easy win. Especially if the mechs doing the capping can fight off or kill the mechs that show up first to try and stop the cap.

What loses you the game is when people choose their timing poorly. Having two or three of your team's mechs desperately trying to cap while the entire enemy team shows up to stop the cap is how capping can lose you the game. Not going back to defend your cap when you really should is how capping can lose you the game.

Capping when the enemy team has to choose between losing the to the cap, or turning around to get gunned down from behind? That's a great time to cap, and can win you the game.

As for the suggestion for no capping in the first 5 minutes? Nah. If the red team is able to pick the right time to cap, and are successful, why penalize them for using good strategy and tactics?

The gamemode isn't actually the problem, the missing respawns are.

Since you can't repair, you are realistically only going to get into one or two actual fights before you pop, meaning you are committing to capping, defending, or fighting the enemy team in the middle.

Fighting the enemy team in the middle is generally the best paying, and most fun, so most people do that, and then feel bad when a cap happens, but if the match happened in multiple waves, defenses and attacks become viable strategies, teams have the room needed to pivot and change strategy because damaged mechs can be replaced quickly, there ends up being alot more push and pull, etc.

#15 TheCaptainJZ

• The CyberKnight
  • The CyberKnight
  • 3,658 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 15 December 2022 - 01:28 PM

Assault does not usually end quickly with a base cap (it's not rewarded well). But it's a viable tactic and should remain. In fact, if the threat of being capped was more persistent, it might change the mode to be less like skirmish. I think the reward for capping the base should be greater to make it a more enticing way to win the match. Then, it might force players to play a game where the lights are scouting for the enemy force (or enemy scouts) and their angle of attack while the big guns are sitting back a bit until they know where to converge. But in typical MWO fashion, the teams will probably just meet in the middle.

#16 Cherge

• PipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 83 posts

Posted 15 December 2022 - 01:49 PM

The cap rush ends in disaster 99% of the time

Sorry you took the 1% for the rest of us

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users