How Do I Spend My Mc Well

21 replies to this topic

#1 LunaticRED

• Pip
  • Knight Errant
  • 13 posts

Posted 26 December 2022 - 12:22 PM

Hello everyone!

I have come here to seek out advice on how to wisely spend my hard-earned MC.

Before you ask, yes, I am aware of the current Hero dropship deals, but I intend on remaning free-to-play. Given how little free time I have outside of holidays I doubt it'd be worth it to buy 4 'mechs I won't ever have time to use.

Going back to the topic of MC, I have managed to earn about 4740 MC last week, bringing me up to 4820 MC (I blew all but 80 of my MC on 'Mech bays on Halloween, otherwise I would have had 5570 MC!). I now have a massive cache of premium currency that could be spent on many different things. With this amount of MC, I can afford an Assault-class Hero 'Mech on sale. Currently, the Assault-class Hero 'Mechs Battlemaster-Hellslinger, Cyclops-Sleipnir, Daishi-Ultraviolet and Zeus-Skokomish are on sale.

The Sleipnir and the Ultraviolet are of particular interest in this collection, yet both are problematic in a sense that is very specific to my circumstances.

The Sleipnir is a 90-ton Inner Sphere assault mech whose primary selling points are a high engine cap, high agility and 4 torso-mounted ballistic slots. It also has a healthy amount of build variety. The sole problem I have with this 'mech is that it would be my third IS assault mech, as I have previously obtained an Atlas D-DC and the Christmas edition Banshee-3E. Buying the Sleipnir would also leave me with a hefty sum of MC still in my hands, which will in combination with the Rasalhague "challenge" leave me with 2695 MC rather than a measly 1382 MC. If an MC tournament comes along with a sale, I would more easily be able to afford a second Hero 'mech.

The Ultraviolet is a 100-ton Clan assault mech whose main selling point are the four ballistic hardpoints it has on its arms, which allows the Daishi to boat 8 C-AC/2s. It also has good build variety owing to its status as an OmniMech, but it has fewer viable builds when compared to the Sleipnir. For me, the problem with the UV is that it would be the second Daishi in my inventory. I already own a Dire Wolf-C, which is a very powerful Daishi variant in its own right due to its ECM. This would mean that I will either play an AC2 boat without ECM and a 30% C-bill boost or an AC2 boat with the ECM but without the boost.

Something that complicates the situation further is my strange infatuation with the Spirit Bear. The horrid bear simulacrum has very few viable builds, but an angry 100-tonner able to sprint towards its foes surely is something I want to have in my armory. It also has a really awesome paint job. Currently, it is unavailable to me due to its prohibitive cost and because it's not on sale, but I am wondering if I should just lurk and save my MC until a science sale knocks the price down enough for me to afford it.

For this reason, I have come to consult you, the forum people, for advice. Which, do you think, is the better choice? I am theoretically saving more MC by buying the UV, but the Sleipnir is also an attractive option as it leaves me with enough MC to buy either 'mech bays or a second Hero 'Mech down the line? Or should I sit and lurk with my 4820 MC until the Spirit Bear goes on sale? I know both the UV and the Sleipnir are Meta, so I want some help to decide what I should do.

I'd be very thankful for any advice I can get!

#2 Sawk

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Star Captain
  • Star Captain
  • 402 posts

Posted 26 December 2022 - 04:54 PM

HMMM -- PRO STUFF about the game, SPEED of your mech, speed of your COMPUTER, and can find friends,
LET US --- talk about learning all 4 types -- of mechs lights, med -- heavy and assault, you also need to have a VOICE there is 1 in game learn to use it, then look to TEAMSPEAK or discord, and find some freinds : )
i can build an assault mech that has a 60 alpha, i can also build a HIGH SPEED MED CLANNER MECH that has a 50 alpha, and you will not beat, and a few lights near that, for 10 alpha learn you play light med fast, unless your recruited to a pro team that needs a big slow TARGET

SAWK CLANNER start with most build type, TIMBERWOLF -- and a VIPER : )

#3 JediPanther

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 4,070 posts
  • LocationLost in my C1

Posted 26 December 2022 - 06:38 PM

If you had to pick one of those mechs go for the bear. Or you can try a different class saving the mc. MC is best spent on a hero mech of a class of a mech chassis you really like forgetting what the meta is right now. Get the hero mech that appeals to how you want to play the game the most.

Assults are the most expensive mechs even with half off which doesn't happen very often. You must chose wisely or you'll stuck with a mech which now you hate and all that lost mc. If you just want a c-bill rake for the cb bonus for the long term a light or medium hero is a very cheap way to go then save up mc from other events to get that assault on the next sale. You'll have tons of c-bills to blow on upgrades and weapons.

#4 Leone

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,693 posts
  • LocationOutworlds Alliance

Posted 26 December 2022 - 07:24 PM

My vote is for the Slepnir.

Between the three assaults given, the Clan mechs are either unavailable due to MC concerns, or a glorious death box that is a bit feast or famine. Really easy to pick apart parts of a Direwolf, but it's also a beast at picking apart others. Also, as noted, you already have one, even if it's not the UV. Finally, Slepnir wins out on the cost angle as well.

And can you really complain about having another glorious IS beast in your stable?

~Leone.

Edited by Leone, 26 December 2022 - 07:25 PM.

#5 w0qj

• The Territorial
  • The Territorial
  • 3,436 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationAt your 6 :)

Posted 26 December 2022 - 10:47 PM

A warm welcome to MWO!

Noted that you've joined MWO Forums Nov 2022. Also noted that you're Tier T5 as a newcomer.
I myself was in the exact same situation 30 months ago, Assault pilot looking for Assault hero mechs!

Just be careful of the pitfalls of playing Assault mechs as a MWO newcomer; Assault mechs might encourage you to not torso twist, and positioning is paramount for most Assaults which are slow.

CBills economy: my personal advice is, stay in T3-T5 for at least a few months, play mechs that you do well in and hence earn you CBills, build up our CBills pool to monthly average of 100+ Million CBills, and with your MWO fighting skills improved, you can move up to T1/T2 if you wish. (FYI, I myself have no plans to go into T1/T2; here only for MWO fun! ;) )

1) Your shortlist of 4 Hero mechs:

1a) Cyclops Sleipnir with its 4x ballistic hardpoint LT/RT is hands down your first choice. Relatively agile Assault mech and you'll learn to torso twist with it too. Playing Assault mechs may give you bad habit of not twisting your torso to spread out damage. Wait for a CP-S at 50% Off MC sale in such a case. Do not buy it at regular price of 6,750 MC like it is right now.

CP-S builds:
2xUAC10 + 2xUAC5
4xLBX10 (albeit slow engine in this build)

1b ) Dire Wolf DWF-UV: If you plan to pilot Dire Wolf for the longer term, the unique Dire Wolf UV arms is almost mandatory.
With Dire Wolf, you've gotta deal out so much damage that even Assault mechs shrink away from you.
That's how you preserve your Dire Wolf armor. Even better, fight in a Team or Group that protect your Dire Wolf.

I personally use my Dire Wolf DWF-UV as a cash cow. It can deal lots of damage for a higher match score, earning you lots of CBills! If this description also fit your profile, by all means get the DWF-UV which is currently on 50% Off MC Sale!
We can talk about DWF-UV builds more if you wish!

2) Other hero mechs that are not on your shortlist:
Three newer hero mechs introduced between 2020 to 2022:

Roughneck Bolt: RGH-BLT: 2,915 MC at regular price
~This IS Heavy mech is worth getting; very high ballistic LT+RT mounts. Fast+agile, especially if you go armless (strip all armor from arms) to increase your engine size, max out Speed Tweak skill tree.

~Sunspider Ambush: SNS-AMB: 4,365 MC at regular price
~Set-of-8 bonus, and what-you-see-if-what-you-hit due to cockpit level weapon hardpoints!
~If you really like Sunspider, this hero is cheaper than the other two (both 6000+ MC).

~Crusader Crael: CRD-CR: 6,000 MC at regular price
~Only effective 1vs1 in Solaris7 type of Events (of which we've only had it once only in Sept 2022).

3) Finally, noted that you wish only F2P (Free To Play) options, with only free MC from Events and promotions played ingame...

Edited by w0qj, 26 December 2022 - 10:51 PM.

#6 Void Angel

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 6,618 posts
  • LocationParanoiaville

Posted 26 December 2022 - 11:49 PM

View PostLunaticRED, on 26 December 2022 - 12:22 PM, said:

Hello everyone!

I have come here to seek out advice on how to wisely spend my hard-earned MC.

Before you ask, yes, I am aware of the current Hero dropship deals, but I intend on remaning free-to-play. Given how little free time I have outside of holidays I doubt it'd be worth it to buy 4 'mechs I won't ever have time to use.

Going back to the topic of MC, I have managed to earn about 4740 MC last week, bringing me up to 4820 MC (I blew all but 80 of my MC on 'Mech bays on Halloween, otherwise I would have had 5570 MC!). I now have a massive cache of premium currency that could be spent on many different things. With this amount of MC, I can afford an Assault-class Hero 'Mech on sale. Currently, the Assault-class Hero 'Mechs Battlemaster-Hellslinger, Cyclops-Sleipnir, Daishi-Ultraviolet and Zeus-Skokomish are on sale.

The Sleipnir and the Ultraviolet are of particular interest in this collection, yet both are problematic in a sense that is very specific to my circumstances.

The Sleipnir is a 90-ton Inner Sphere assault mech whose primary selling points are a high engine cap, high agility and 4 torso-mounted ballistic slots. It also has a healthy amount of build variety. The sole problem I have with this 'mech is that it would be my third IS assault mech, as I have previously obtained an Atlas D-DC and the Christmas edition Banshee-3E. Buying the Sleipnir would also leave me with a hefty sum of MC still in my hands, which will in combination with the Rasalhague "challenge" leave me with 2695 MC rather than a measly 1382 MC. If an MC tournament comes along with a sale, I would more easily be able to afford a second Hero 'mech.

The Ultraviolet is a 100-ton Clan assault mech whose main selling point are the four ballistic hardpoints it has on its arms, which allows the Daishi to boat 8 C-AC/2s. It also has good build variety owing to its status as an OmniMech, but it has fewer viable builds when compared to the Sleipnir. For me, the problem with the UV is that it would be the second Daishi in my inventory. I already own a Dire Wolf-C, which is a very powerful Daishi variant in its own right due to its ECM. This would mean that I will either play an AC2 boat without ECM and a 30% C-bill boost or an AC2 boat with the ECM but without the boost.

Something that complicates the situation further is my strange infatuation with the Spirit Bear. The horrid bear simulacrum has very few viable builds, but an angry 100-tonner able to sprint towards its foes surely is something I want to have in my armory. It also has a really awesome paint job. Currently, it is unavailable to me due to its prohibitive cost and because it's not on sale, but I am wondering if I should just lurk and save my MC until a science sale knocks the price down enough for me to afford it.

For this reason, I have come to consult you, the forum people, for advice. Which, do you think, is the better choice? I am theoretically saving more MC by buying the UV, but the Sleipnir is also an attractive option as it leaves me with enough MC to buy either 'mech bays or a second Hero 'Mech down the line? Or should I sit and lurk with my 4820 MC until the Spirit Bear goes on sale? I know both the UV and the Sleipnir are Meta, so I want some help to decide what I should do.

I'd be very thankful for any advice I can get!

Well, you really have three real options: premium time, hero 'mechs, and 'mech bays. I know a lot of people, historically, who have saved up their event MC only for 'mech bays, but certain of the heroes are excellent 'mechs (and many are actually slightly inferior to the best base variants, but with the c-bills bonus.)
  • So! Always save a little for new 'mech bays, and then keep an eye out for the hero 'mechs you think you'd enjoy to go on sale. Generally, the Heroes that support the builds you're having success playing will fare well on the battlefield. (You can also check out MetaMechs. You don't have to play the 'mechs the way they're built on the site, but if they put out a build guide for a Hero in a chassis you enjoy, you'll know how that 'mech would generally be used in high-level play.)
  • Premium Time is an excellent investment if you know you're going to be playing steadily, and is more effective by far when bought in larger chunks. So unless you know you're going to be out of town for half the month, buy the month's worth if you're going to be playing constantly. On the other hand, if you've got enough c-bills on hand, you really have no reason to spring for premium time, so only do this as a hedge against running out of c-bill funds.
  • Finally, if you ever find yourself extra-short on c-bills, and dreading the next grind, you can use MC to get yourself some c-bills. This isn't a recommended way to use MC, yet it is an option - HOWEVER!! Do not buy the c-bill package deals for MC! Buy a Champion Battlemech instead, and sell that. Last time someone ran the math (like half a decade ago,) the Champion Cicada was the best one to purchase. Make sure it's the "Champion" version with the XP bonus. Buy it, sell the entire 'mech, lock, stock, and barrel, and you'll get the best MC/C-bill price. But again, this is an "I really don't want to grind out the c-bills to try this build" situation, and is not recommended by anyone. It's simply an option you should know about.

#7 LunaticRED

• Pip
  • Knight Errant
  • 13 posts

Posted 27 December 2022 - 02:15 PM

Thanks for all the answers!

With the given information, I have temporarily overcome my crippling choice anxiety to pick up the Sleipnir. I am honestly not too much of a Clan connoisseur and I believe I am better off with the IS assault. I will also have some surplus MC for potentially getting the UV sometime in the future. I am hoping that we will have another Hero 'mech event next summer!

EDIT: How unusual. Just as I was logging on to play the game, some of the sales strangely seem to have ended! Wasn't it supposed to last a few hours longer? The Atlas is still on sale.

EDIT 2: Seems like the sale has ended. My indecisiveness has cost me this great opportunity! On the bright side, I will have a large cache MC to save for later use. Perhaps a new sale will come back on next science patch, bringing with it some heavies or other assaults I am interested in...

Edited by LunaticRED, 27 December 2022 - 02:53 PM.

#8 ScrapIron Prime

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,827 posts
  • LocationSmack dab in the middle of Ohio

Posted 27 December 2022 - 04:43 PM

There’s a sale every month or two. Be patient and you’ll pick up a great mech or two!

#9 Void Angel

• The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 6,618 posts
  • LocationParanoiaville

Posted 27 December 2022 - 04:53 PM

They'll almost certainly have another sale for New Years.

#10 Sawk

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Star Captain
  • Star Captain
  • 402 posts

Posted 27 December 2022 - 05:34 PM

hmm you need to learn to BUILD A MECH, clan has omni parts, madcat timber wolf artic chedda --- and clan sensors are better , 1 day you will maybe learn that :)

SAWK CLANNER

#11 w0qj

• The Territorial
  • The Territorial
  • 3,436 posts

Posted 27 December 2022 - 06:00 PM

On my MWO game client (game program), ingame pressing [Store]>>[Battlemechs]>>[Assault]>>[Cylops] show that:

There are still 22 hours for this 50% Off MC Sale for Cyclops Sleipnir !
(As of this message writing).

Edited by w0qj, 28 December 2022 - 02:09 AM.

#12 LunaticRED

• Pip
  • Knight Errant
  • 13 posts

Posted 28 December 2022 - 01:20 AM

Thanks again!

I truly have seen everything. The sale came back spontaneously. I had apparently run into a technical problem yesterday night which rendered all but two sales null; almost as if they were tempting me to go for the offer...!

The Sleipnir is now in my possession. I still have a hefty 1520 MC left in my digital fictional wallet (I managed to snatch a few extra MC from the loot bags I still hadn't obtained at the time of making the post to add to my total sum), and the Rasalhague event should bring me up to 2770 MC. This will either mean that I will snatch up Uller-Purifier next time it goes on sale, or I will grind out another event I happen to be able to participate in and then lurk and hope the DWF goes on sale again.

Who knows? Perhaps the free Hero event I missed out on last summer will come back for round two!

#13 w0qj

• The Territorial
  • The Territorial
  • 3,436 posts

Posted 28 December 2022 - 03:08 AM

Very happy to hear that your Cyclops Sleipnir 50% MC Sale went through!!

Do enjoy your purchase!!

By the way, you can browse suggested CP-S builds here:

https://grimmechs.is...im.org/Database
https://grimmechs.is...ts?list=general

Obviously you do not need to follow these suggestions; do have fun exploring! ;)

#14 ScrapIron Prime

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,827 posts

Posted 28 December 2022 - 05:38 PM

4 LBX/10 are a beautiful thing. =)

Oh and welcome to the big stompy hero mech club. Posted Image

#15 Void Angel

• The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 6,618 posts
  • LocationParanoiaville

Posted 28 December 2022 - 06:18 PM

View PostLunaticRED, on 28 December 2022 - 01:20 AM, said:

Thanks again!

I truly have seen everything. The sale came back spontaneously. I had apparently run into a technical problem yesterday night which rendered all but two sales null; almost as if they were tempting me to go for the offer...!

The Sleipnir is now in my possession. I still have a hefty 1520 MC left in my digital fictional wallet (I managed to snatch a few extra MC from the loot bags I still hadn't obtained at the time of making the post to add to my total sum), and the Rasalhague event should bring me up to 2770 MC. This will either mean that I will snatch up Uller-Purifier next time it goes on sale, or I will grind out another event I happen to be able to participate in and then lurk and hope the DWF goes on sale again.

Who knows? Perhaps the free Hero event I missed out on last summer will come back for round two!

The Purifier is an amazingly brutal facetime brawler - you'll have to learn to engage when enemies aren't prepared to shoot at you, but by mixing hero and non-hero MG omnipods you can produce a jump-capable HMG monster that will output sustained dps that's equal to the burst dps of some 'mechs two and a half times its size.

#16 LunaticRED

• Pip
  • Knight Errant
  • 13 posts

Posted 31 December 2022 - 06:44 PM

Now, I am a little bit salty that the Spirit Bear right after I spent most of my MC on the Sleipnir, but if I am to be completely honest, I don't regret the purchase at all!

The Sleipnir is amazing!

I initially had mixed feelings about the mech. At first, I ran two heavy gauss rifles and three medium lasers on the Sleipnir. Its performance was a bit hit or miss, sometimes it obliterates half of the enemy team and sometimes it get focused and dies an inglorious death that is incredibly quick even by light 'mech standards. Dealing 50 pinpoint damage doesn't stop being funny though.

My opinion about it changed with time, however. Now it is fully skilled out (whether the tree is optimized or not is up to debate) and equipped with four LB 10-X autocannons, it is almost always the top dog of the battlefield (at least once the thing gets close enough to the enemy, which is alarmingly often). I consistently score well in the Sleipnir and the chassis bonus combined with the premium time I won during Stocking Stuffers gives me up to about half a million C-bills every match, now when I also have the new years boost. One cockpit item adds another 5%. Given its battlefield performance, it practically prints C-bills! Even in bad matches, I tend to maul at least one or two mechs before going down.

I am still in T5. Does the Sleipnir hold up well in higher tiers? I will make a new post in the light mechs section to discuss my remaining 1520 MC.

I'd be very thankful for an answer!

#17 ScrapIron Prime

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,827 posts

Posted 31 December 2022 - 11:13 PM

Four LBX/10’s do indeed hold up well in higher tiers. Just watch your field positioning, as higher tiers mean there’s more folks ready to punish a poor tactical decision!

#18 ScrapIron Prime

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,827 posts

Posted 01 January 2023 - 01:05 PM

I ended up spending MC on a Pretty Baby (for the 100% crit immune brawler, after a few skill points) and a Mjolnir (for the sweet MPL and UAC spam), not because they're the best ones out there, but because they're the best ones I didn't own already. Posted Image

Oh, and if you haven't experienced the glory that is the Charger Number 7, it comes with 90% crit reduction, so 3 skill points makes it 100% immune to crits. Armor is just as good as internals for this guy, and if you build him right, he doesn't overheat either. I like running one like this, but you can also do a smaller engine and pulse lasers:
https://mwo.nav-alph...3af1fdfa_CGR-N7

#19 Void Angel

• The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 6,618 posts
  • LocationParanoiaville

Posted 01 January 2023 - 01:11 PM

You should always be maxxing out your armor and structure trees anyway.

#20 -Winter

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 156 posts

Posted 01 January 2023 - 04:55 PM

Mech Bays and Hero Mechs. Save up buy both on sale and you never have to spend a dime on the game.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users