What's A Good Mech When You Want To Use Mrm's?

41 replies to this topic

#1 sosegado

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • 274 posts

Posted 20 January 2023 - 10:38 AM

Ok, so maybe I'm backwards.

In general I pick a weapon system I want to try and then pick a mech that can use that system well.

This time I want to try MRM's because I've never used that weapon system before and if anyone can point me towards a mech that is well suited to them I would appreciate it.

A medium or a heavy, maybe?

IS or CLAN makes no difference to me. (anathema, I know right! Posted Image )

#2 TheCaptainJZ

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The CyberKnight
  • The CyberKnight
  • 3,658 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 20 January 2023 - 03:48 PM

View PostStab Wound, on 20 January 2023 - 10:38 AM, said:

In general I pick a weapon system I want to try and then pick a mech that can use that system well.

This time I want to try MRM's because I've never used that weapon system before and if anyone can point me towards a mech that is well suited to them I would appreciate it.

A medium or a heavy, maybe?

IS or CLAN makes no difference to me. (anathema, I know right! Posted Image )

Well, MRMs are only Inner Sphere tech so you can't use a Clan mech. They have ATMs instead which are different.

You can run MRMs on any IS mech with good hardpoints. Typically, MRM-heavy or exclusive mechs are ones with torso mounted missile hardpoints. MRMs also come in different sizes--10,20,30, or 40. I'm not sure what the "optimum" mixture of hardpoints and MRM launchers is. You might have a mech with 2 x MRM 30. Or you might have a mech with 4 x MRM 10. If you already own a mech that has missile hardpoints, give them a try! As for mechs in the store, look for ones with missile quirks and good hardpoint locations. I don't know specifically offhand.

Keep in mind that MRMs do 1 damage per missile, and operate more like a sandblaster. They shoot out to 550 m or so, but the effectiveness at that range due to spread is low.

#3 sosegado

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • 274 posts

Posted 20 January 2023 - 05:44 PM

View PostTheCaptainJZ, on 20 January 2023 - 03:48 PM, said:

Well, MRMs are only Inner Sphere tech so you can't use a Clan mech. They have ATMs instead which are different.

You can run MRMs on any IS mech with good hardpoints. Typically, MRM-heavy or exclusive mechs are ones with torso mounted missile hardpoints. MRMs also come in different sizes--10,20,30, or 40. I'm not sure what the "optimum" mixture of hardpoints and MRM launchers is. You might have a mech with 2 x MRM 30. Or you might have a mech with 4 x MRM 10. If you already own a mech that has missile hardpoints, give them a try! As for mechs in the store, look for ones with missile quirks and good hardpoint locations. I don't know specifically offhand.

Keep in mind that MRMs do 1 damage per missile, and operate more like a sandblaster. They shoot out to 550 m or so, but the effectiveness at that range due to spread is low.

Thanks for all the info, that was very informative. Posted Image

Does that mean it's an ineffective weapon? Because of sandblasting, higher spread and low damage?

Would using ATM's be a better choice?

#4 TheCaptainJZ

• The CyberKnight
  • The CyberKnight
  • 3,658 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 20 January 2023 - 06:01 PM

View PostStab Wound, on 20 January 2023 - 05:44 PM, said:

Thanks for all the info, that was very informative. Posted Image

Does that mean it's an ineffective weapon? Because of sandblasting, higher spread and low damage?

Would using ATM's be a better choice?

Why not play both and see what you like? MRMs can do a lot of damage especially on mechs with missile quirks that enhance it. Compared to SRMs, you get about twice as many missiles per ton and twice the range--thus the weaker stats. You probably want to be firing around 300 meters or so but of course you have quite a range + or - from that.

Clan ATMs have recently had their minimum range reduced to 60 meters. They do the most damage at close range, then it steps down twice at different ranges. Check the mechlab for the damage falloff chart. Not as many missiles so AMS is somewhat more effective against them, but the missiles have more health so they're not wiped out like an LRM 5 would be. But the damage, especially in that first bracket, is high and punishing. They are a lock-on weapon (MRMs are not) but have a rather flat trajectory so you pretty much need to be in line of sight or have low cover between you and the target. I enjoyed using them on my Huntsman.

Edited by TheCaptainJZ, 20 January 2023 - 06:03 PM.

#5 sosegado

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • 274 posts

Posted 20 January 2023 - 06:52 PM

View PostTheCaptainJZ, on 20 January 2023 - 06:01 PM, said:

Why not play both and see what you like? MRMs can do a lot of damage especially on mechs with missile quirks that enhance it. Compared to SRMs, you get about twice as many missiles per ton and twice the range--thus the weaker stats. You probably want to be firing around 300 meters or so but of course you have quite a range + or - from that.

Clan ATMs have recently had their minimum range reduced to 60 meters. They do the most damage at close range, then it steps down twice at different ranges. Check the mechlab for the damage falloff chart. Not as many missiles so AMS is somewhat more effective against them, but the missiles have more health so they're not wiped out like an LRM 5 would be. But the damage, especially in that first bracket, is high and punishing. They are a lock-on weapon (MRMs are not) but have a rather flat trajectory so you pretty much need to be in line of sight or have low cover between you and the target. I enjoyed using them on my Huntsman.

Again, thank you for the super helpful information. Posted Image

Does that mean I should pair these weapons with narc, or tag or a targeting computer? Or all 3?

#6 BLACKR0SE

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Meta
  • The Meta
  • 1,375 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationTurkey/Sivas

Posted 20 January 2023 - 07:00 PM

If you're looking for a mrm machine, Thanatos is nice :) but the armor is weak, let me warn you.

#7 TheCaptainJZ

• The CyberKnight
  • The CyberKnight
  • 3,658 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 20 January 2023 - 07:01 PM

View PostStab Wound, on 20 January 2023 - 06:52 PM, said:

Again, thank you for the super helpful information. Posted Image

Does that mean I should pair these weapons with narc, or tag or a targeting computer? Or all 3?

MRMs are dumbfire weapons so Narc and Tag has no benefit. Targeting computer has never really been worth its weight. (Was thinking Command console)
For clans, ATMs are "Artemis enabled" already and don't benefit from those. Tag can help you get locks through ECM. NARC could too but is heavier and requires more effort. ATMs can be fired without a lock as well if you need to dumbfire them.
Don't waste tonnage on TAG *and* Narc. Targeting computer doesn't actually speed up locks for missiles at all. It speeds up the data on the enemy paperdoll. So it's not as helpful as you think.

There are, however, skills in the skill tree that you'd configure for your build, depending on which way you go.

Edited by TheCaptainJZ, 20 January 2023 - 07:05 PM.

#8 sosegado

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • 274 posts

Posted 20 January 2023 - 07:32 PM

View PostTheCaptainJZ, on 20 January 2023 - 07:01 PM, said:

Targeting computer doesn't actually speed up locks for missiles at all. It speeds up the data on the enemy paperdoll. So it's not as helpful as you think.

You are on fire with all this help!

Is a targeting computer worth the tonnage and slots for the critical damage boost?

View PostTAMTAMBABY, on 20 January 2023 - 07:00 PM, said:

If you're looking for a mrm machine, Thanatos is nice Posted Image but the armor is weak, let me warn you.

Thanks, that's also the type of info I was looking for.

There are hundreds of mechs! It could take forever to search each one to find out the ones with the missile quirks that give them all the right boosts!

Any and all mech suggestion are welcome. Posted Image

#9 ScrapIron Prime

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,817 posts
  • LocationSmack dab in the middle of Ohio

Posted 20 January 2023 - 09:18 PM

The thing that helps MRMs the most is velocity quirks. Check out the Warhammer 7S.

#10 sosegado

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • 274 posts

Posted 20 January 2023 - 10:29 PM

View PostTAMTAMBABY, on 20 January 2023 - 07:00 PM, said:

If you're looking for a mrm machine, Thanatos is nice Posted Image but the armor is weak, let me warn you.

View PostScrapIron Prime, on 20 January 2023 - 09:18 PM, said:

The thing that helps MRMs the most is velocity quirks. Check out the Warhammer 7S.

I just bought both of these.

I'll configure them both later.

Like I said, all suggestions are welcome.Posted Image

#11 TheCaptainJZ

• The CyberKnight
  • The CyberKnight
  • 3,658 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 21 January 2023 - 04:59 AM

View PostStab Wound, on 20 January 2023 - 07:32 PM, said:

You are on fire with all this help!

Is a targeting computer worth the tonnage and slots for the critical damage boost?

In the past, some have said the TC level 1 is worth it for the increases in stats, but higher levels were not. TC lv 1 is 1 ton and 1 slot. It's good if you don't have room for a double heat sink instead, but generally, heat sinks are more useful overall. I wouldn't say it's worth it for just the critical damage boost alone but it also increases velocity a smidge I believe (and laser beam range). Critical hits only apply if the location you hit has no armor, only internal structure left, and the base critical hit value is low--I would say, unless it's a weapon with a boost in critical damage like machine guns, it's not something to give much consideration. It's also a mechanic that relies on a random number generator or dice roll. I'm not a heavy MRM user but have to agree with ScrapIron that velocity helps the most. That gives your enemy less time to move away from your shot.

You might find this site helpful for theory crafting outside of the game: https://mwo.nav-alpha.com/mechs This is easier to find what you're looking for than the game's UI. The quirk filter is really helpful. And note that missile quirks apply to MRMs and ATMs as a generic class while weapons specific quirks like MRM stack bonuses. So if a mech has +10% missile velocity and +10% MRM velocity, it will have 10% faster SRM velocity but 20% MRM velocity. So that's how that works.

Edited by TheCaptainJZ, 21 January 2023 - 05:04 AM.

#12 BLACKR0SE

• The Meta
  • The Meta
  • 1,375 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationTurkey/Sivas

Posted 21 January 2023 - 05:04 AM

ATM is very slow I love mrm.

#13 Void Angel

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 6,600 posts
  • LocationParanoiaville

Posted 21 January 2023 - 07:07 PM

View PostStab Wound, on 20 January 2023 - 10:38 AM, said:

That is a totally valid way to pick 'mechs. I do both, actually; finding a 'mech with good quirks and hardpoints for my desired weapon, or finding a 'mech with good hardpoints and then figuring out what weapons should go on that 'mech.

View PostTheCaptainJZ, on 21 January 2023 - 04:59 AM, said:

In the past, some have said the TC level 1 is worth it for the increases in stats, but higher levels were not. TC lv 1 is 1 ton and 1 slot. It's good if you don't have room for a double heat sink instead, but generally, heat sinks are more useful overall. I wouldn't say it's worth it for just the critical damage boost alone but it also increases velocity a smidge I believe (and laser beam range).

Targeting Computers shouldn't affect missiles.. It's good for direct-fire projectile weapons like ERPPCs and Autocannons, but not for Gauss Rifles or MRMs. Of course, sometimes (coughTAGcough) tooltips don't reflect changes in game mechanics, but I think it's still the case.

#14 TheCaptainJZ

• The CyberKnight
  • The CyberKnight
  • 3,658 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 22 January 2023 - 05:27 AM

Regarding TC's, what I've heard was actually more generalized advice. You are right--they don't help missiles much.

#15 1Exitar1

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 253 posts
  • LocationSomewhere in the Milkyway Galaxy

Posted 28 January 2023 - 10:49 AM

You could try a Griffin 2N. It has nice high shoulder mounts for the missile pods and it can jump, so you can poptart.

#16 StrikerSW

• PipPipPip
  • The Stryker
  • The Stryker
  • 53 posts

Posted 28 January 2023 - 12:09 PM

Great MRM Mech's that are strong performers suitable for new players.

Stalker, Archer, Crusader, Dervish, Wolverine

Check the quirks of a Mech and find ones that compliment MRM's like cool down, velocity, missile spread. Also jump jets in heavy to light mechs is a real bonus.

#17 VeeOt Dragon

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 1,090 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 30 January 2023 - 04:10 PM

the Catapult and Dervish also make good MRM boats.

(keep in mind when boating larger launchers that 2 MRM-30s don't have ghost heat but 2 MRM-40s do.)

#18 sosegado

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • 274 posts

Posted 01 February 2023 - 03:50 PM

View Post1Exitar1, on 28 January 2023 - 10:49 AM, said:

You could try a Griffin 2N. It has nice high shoulder mounts for the missile pods and it can jump, so you can poptart.

View PostStrikerSW, on 28 January 2023 - 12:09 PM, said:

Great MRM Mech's that are strong performers suitable for new players.

Stalker, Archer, Crusader, Dervish, Wolverine

Check the quirks of a Mech and find ones that compliment MRM's like cool down, velocity, missile spread. Also jump jets in heavy to light mechs is a real bonus.

View PostVeeOt Dragon, on 30 January 2023 - 04:10 PM, said:

the Catapult and Dervish also make good MRM boats.

(keep in mind when boating larger launchers that 2 MRM-30s don't have ghost heat but 2 MRM-40s do.)

Thanks for all your help.

I'm going to buy the mechs of these that I don't have and reconfigure the ones I do have. Posted Image

Your help is very much appreciated!

#19 Void Angel

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 6,600 posts
  • LocationParanoiaville

Posted 01 February 2023 - 04:38 PM

Ohh! I'm late to the party, but try the Marauder 9M. You can use either alternating MRM40s (80 total) or dual MRM30s with 4 Medium Lasers as backup/pinpoint damage. The ECM and Marauder hit box profile make it a very good MRM option.

Edit: words are hard.

Edited by Void Angel, 02 February 2023 - 10:32 AM.

#20 Aidan Crenshaw

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 3,607 posts

Posted 01 February 2023 - 11:04 PM

View PostVoid Angel, on 01 February 2023 - 04:38 PM, said:

Ohh! I'm late to the party, but try the Stalker 9M. You can use either alternating MRM40s (80 total) or dual MRM30s with 4 Medium Lasers as backup/pinpoint damage. The ECM and Marauder hit box profile make it a very good MRM option.

you mean the Stalker 5M, don't you? MRM60 and 4 MLs is undergunned on a 85t Assault in my opinion. There's better options for MRM-play on a Stalker. The 7D for example is better in every way.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users