19 replies to this topic

#1 Meep Meep

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 2,722 posts
  • LocationBehind You

Posted 01 February 2023 - 07:55 AM

If you are looking to upgrade your pc and need a new mobo then this is probably the best deal out atm.

High end 16+1+1 vrm and tons of slots and options like argb headers.

https://www.newegg.c...N82E16813144386

Was a nearly $400 mobo when it launched and now $119. 11th gen cpu are also dirt cheap atm and you can snag a formerly $700 11900k for about $300.

Here is a breakdown video. He ******* a bit about the 11900k but that was due to its insane pricing at the time. It's an oc beast and I'll most likely get a near 6ghz oc with some tweaking.

Grabbed two of them one for my 11900k and the other for my living room 10600k.

They also have a very nice argb atx tower for $50 which is fully compatible with the mobos argb software so you can do all sorts of nifty effects.

https://www.newegg.c...N82E16811147308

Also bought two of them. Posted Image

And if you want to max out the argb fans in the case then this vendor has extras pulled from new cases that installed aio water coolers instead.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/264984573603

Bought two of them too. Posted Image

Edited by Meep Meep, 01 February 2023 - 08:27 AM.

#2 BLACKR0SE

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Meta
  • The Meta
  • 1,375 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationTurkey/Sivas

Posted 05 February 2023 - 04:54 AM

Online games are generally designed according to the lowest specifications available on the market. Mwo is very very old, I am surprised to see such news. I don't think this is the place. You can play this game even with the most antique computer. Posted Image

#3 Meep Meep

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 2,722 posts
  • LocationBehind You

Posted 06 February 2023 - 03:32 AM

Yeah but this is high end hardware for a low end price. There isn't any appreciable difference in gaming performance between the 10th through 13th gen intel cpu unless you are pushing ultra 4k settings so if you are on older hardware all of it is a valid choice depending on the price. Right now 11th gen is the sweet spot for high performance and low price until they run out of stock. Then the next gen will be up.

#4 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,731 posts

Posted 07 February 2023 - 05:06 AM

i think i spent a good $200 on my current mobo. an "msi mpg b550i gaming edge max wifi". its absurd how high the prices have gotten on those. it used to be rare for me to break $100.

i never go with full atx. i find i usually dont need that much expansion. its been a very long time since i needed anything more than a gpu and would rather the extra lanes go to m.2 connectors than extra pcie slots. most of what i need is available on mini-itx boards. and upgrading means not adding cards to slots, but replacing the mobo/cpu and sometimes ram, and i treat gpu as a different upgrade. most people underutilize their full atx boards. hell there are features i dont use on my mini-itx.

View PostMeep Meep, on 06 February 2023 - 03:32 AM, said:

Yeah but this is high end hardware for a low end price. There isn't any appreciable difference in gaming performance between the 10th through 13th gen intel cpu unless you are pushing ultra 4k settings so if you are on older hardware all of it is a valid choice depending on the price. Right now 11th gen is the sweet spot for high performance and low price until they run out of stock. Then the next gen will be up.

yea i saw that going back to 8th gen. it took me forever to find an upgrade path from my 8086k that was actually better than what i was running. ended up at a 5800x. of course by the time i got the system fully built out intel had dug themselves out of their hole. id did feel like a significant upgrade though.

#5 Meep Meep

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 2,722 posts
  • LocationBehind You

Posted 07 February 2023 - 05:19 AM

If you go with a k chip you are kinda stuck with full atx on most intel high end mobo due to them restricting oc to the z chipsets where on amd its just a general function of the AMx socket lines with some offering better vrm than others for higher end oc.

#6 LordNothing

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,731 posts

Posted 07 February 2023 - 10:00 AM

View PostMeep Meep, on 07 February 2023 - 05:19 AM, said:

If you go with a k chip you are kinda stuck with full atx on most intel high end mobo due to them restricting oc to the z chipsets where on amd its just a general function of the AMx socket lines with some offering better vrm than others for higher end oc.

i buy the k because its stock clock was higher than the not k version (at least thats how it was when i last bought intel, around 8th gen). i dont really overclock the cpu. memory i will run it to manufacturer spec (and within the speeds specified by the mobo), but i really don't consider that an overclock, even though it is by jdec standards. some mobos you can just load the xmp profile and thats it. my current mobo required some finagling, but i got it to work.

i never really got into the overclocker's mindset. i only need a cpu to run better than the thing im upgrading, not at its absolute peak. id rather not stress the hardware outside of its spec if at all possible. i get rock solid stability and increase the longevity of the hardware. otherwise you get where you need more power and you need to reject more heat, and the prices go through the roof and you are staying up awake at night wondering if your vrms could handle it.

Edited by LordNothing, 07 February 2023 - 10:01 AM.

#7 Meep Meep

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 2,722 posts
  • LocationBehind You

Posted 07 February 2023 - 01:41 PM

The thing about a k chip is that they are selected from the very highest binned cpu out of a batch. The ones that can't handle a large oc without issue are binned lower and oc functions blocked out. Thats why there are a zillion different variations of the same chip. My old i7 4770k took an all core 4.3 oc from day one and its still chugging along just fine and I had only just recently in the last two years replaced it and that was only because it was bottlenecking my 1080ti at 4k. Even now a 4770k with a good oc can run 1080/1440p gaming just fine along with any general computing task you would give it.

#8 LordNothing

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,731 posts

Posted 08 February 2023 - 10:06 AM

i enjoy buying high binned chips and underutilizing them.

#9 Meep Meep

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 2,722 posts
  • LocationBehind You

Posted 08 February 2023 - 01:27 PM

You are number one intel customer! Posted Image

#10 LordNothing

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,731 posts

Posted 09 February 2023 - 07:44 AM

View PostMeep Meep, on 08 February 2023 - 01:27 PM, said:

You are number one intel customer! Posted Image

not since i switched to red im not. we will see what things happen in 3 or 4 years.

also i see overclocking for the tradeoff it is. it is not free performance, you often have to pay through the nose to access it. id rather get the few hundred mhz from a high binned chip and leave it at that. otherwise you have to buy the high binned chip and the $400 mobo and the expensive ram and a case bigger than the apollo guidance computer and more rads than a ferrari.

Edited by LordNothing, 09 February 2023 - 07:50 AM.

#11 Meep Meep

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 2,722 posts
  • LocationBehind You

Posted 09 February 2023 - 01:51 PM

Which is why you wait for the $400 mobo to go on sale for $100! :^D

Plus if you hate huge cases you would simply run screaming from one of my huge og atx server tower cases that weighs almost a hundred pounds and probably has as much high quality steel as a small car and is emp proof. It swallowed my 24tb nas array bones and all without so much as a burp with room for another 48tb of drives if I had the connections.

#12 LordNothing

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,731 posts

Posted 09 February 2023 - 04:20 PM

whats it, an 11th gen? thats 2 gens out of date. id only go with it if i was running several gens older. i think i skipped all the 11th gen products over when looking for a successor to my 8th gen chip. i figured the stagnation at intel is what led me to amd.

my case is an ncase m1. its a bloody beautiful case. anodized aluminum, brushed finish, metal on all six sides, smaller than a shoe box (granted im a size 14), and really good airflow. all 5 panels pop off for easy maintenance. no glass, just mesh. it has only one led, for the power button. unfortunately they stopped making them not long after i bought mine.

large cases really dont make sense with air cooling, too much bypass air. if you going to use a big radiator and run the airflow through it, then it kind of starts to make sense. but i dont like water, especially given the near 100% humidity year round, i figured id have a problem with condensation as heat differentials and 100% humidity do not mix.

Edited by LordNothing, 09 February 2023 - 05:19 PM.

#13 Meep Meep

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 2,722 posts
  • LocationBehind You

Posted 09 February 2023 - 04:42 PM

Not for gaming especially after an overclock. You won't be bottlenecking any gpu even a 4090 with an all core 5.3 oc which near every 11900k can get on a decent mobo. Now if you are into heavy editing and encoding type stuff the faster ddr5 and extra cores of the 12th and 13th gen will make a difference and amd has some stiff competition in its own high core cpu. But for literally everyone else its a pointless upgrade especially for full retail when you can get effectively the same gaming and general computing performance out of a 10th or 11th gen cpu. Intel really upped their game with the 10th gen and on and they only suffered negative reviews due to the price gouging of the time vs the cheaper and almost as powerful amd offerings. But a high end mobo with an 11900k and a healthy all core oc for about $400 when it was over $1000 new and still over $1000 new if you go for the newer gens is an absolute steal.

#14 Meep Meep

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 2,722 posts
  • LocationBehind You

Posted 09 February 2023 - 06:16 PM

View PostLordNothing, on 09 February 2023 - 04:20 PM, said:

my case is an ncase m1. its a bloody beautiful case. anodized aluminum, brushed finish, metal on all six sides, smaller than a shoe box (granted im a size 14), and really good airflow. all 5 panels pop off for easy maintenance. no glass, just mesh. it has only one led, for the power button. unfortunately they stopped making them not long after i bought mine.

large cases really dont make sense with air cooling, too much bypass air. if you going to use a big radiator and run the airflow through it, then it kind of starts to make sense. but i dont like water, especially given the near 100% humidity year round, i figured id have a problem with condensation as heat differentials and 100% humidity do not mix.

Snuck this one in on me. Small cases are neat and there are micro pc now that can actually game and would make short work of an old game like mwo.

Then there are true micro pc.

I agree that overly large cases are detrimental which is why I linked that nice mid tower atx case. Just roomy enough for a full atx build with a giant oversized gpu and compact enough to get great airflow if you choose to keep the side panel on. Once I got my 3080 and its triple slot cooler I had to get rid of the side panel anyways as even the most airflow friendly case can't compete with the heat it dumps right back into the case especially with a max power limit modded bios.

#15 LordNothing

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,731 posts

Posted 09 February 2023 - 07:17 PM

sorry about the edit, i think i jumped the gun. not sure how much i threw out, i wrote like 5 paragraphs and it got pedantic and needed a trim. i dont remember how much ended up in the original post.

i dont think il ever build down below 12 liter. thats getting into serious compromise territory. might be fine for an htpc, there are nice cases for that. i do use a tiny office style case for my htpc, i think its about 10l. but thats a special purpose case. ive been mildly curious about nucs and other small pcs to replace some of the older machines around the house, as well as small handheld pcs to do local streaming.

i think 16l might actually be the sweet spot where you can get maximum performance from your hardware. especially considering how large gpus and cpu coolers have gotten in the last 5 years. you can go micro-atx in those. i used to be a big micro-atx fan, especially the cut down versions. i think my current case could actually fit a mini-dtx board, which is same length as an itx, but has space for a second pcie slot. i kind of wish this was a more popular form factor as it offers network/storage possibilities. current mobo offers 2.5 gig eithernet and a somewhat decent wifi module and room for 2 nvme m.2 drives (though only one at gen4).

Edited by LordNothing, 09 February 2023 - 07:19 PM.

#16 Meep Meep

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 2,722 posts
  • LocationBehind You

Posted 10 February 2023 - 09:58 PM

Heh, all my cases in my house for the various pc are old clunkers I picked up at the flea market mostly without covers for a few bucks because I have them piled in a room hooked up to the 2.5 gig wired network so being pretty wasn't really needed. The entire house is climate controlled and hepa filtered so I don't care about dust and I only bought that spectra case because it was cheap and had argb which I had been wanting to play with. I spend all the main money on the actual hardware and even then I'm a cheap ******* and always wait till the previous gen or so goes on deep discount. I might be a year or two out of the current bleeding edge of hardware when I buy but eh I save so much I can upgrade more frequently so it all works out in the end.

#17 LordNothing

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,731 posts

Posted 11 February 2023 - 10:10 AM

mine is just a backlog of previous builds. i used to be a system integrator back in the pentium 4 era. so i have possibly thousands of builds under my belt and have built a new computer every few generations to stay up to date with the tech.

i have a hard time justifying replacing perfectly good old pcs with new tiny ones just because the old ones work perfectly fine. don't really like the idea of committing hardware to e-waste if i can find another use or a kid who wants to learn system building. though in a lot of cases its the mobo that kills the system, and replacements are hard to come by. leaves a pile of good cpus and ram and nothing to plug it into.

money can be saved avoiding current gen or even the top tier stuff. current build busted the bank and ended up coming in at 3x the intended budget. it may be the most expensive build yet. and ive built behemoths before. they turn into money pits fast, and so did this one, though for different reasons. but i expect not to have the same issues though as im not poking the overclocking demon too much.

#18 Meep Meep

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 2,722 posts
  • LocationBehind You

Posted 21 February 2023 - 01:39 AM

Aaaand gone. Kudos to anyone who picked a few up since deals like this come once or twice a year.

#19 LordNothing

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,731 posts

Posted 21 February 2023 - 02:49 PM

with what i spent its gonna be a good 4 or 5 years till i upgrade again.

#20 Meep Meep

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 2,722 posts
  • LocationBehind You

Posted 21 February 2023 - 03:05 PM

Same though it less about money spent than getting high end tech which is going to last so much longer.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users