15 replies to this topic

#1 Meep Meep

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 2,757 posts
  • LocationBehind You

Posted 09 February 2023 - 03:57 PM

I mean really cauldron. This was done over the last six months in a series of patchs.

Perfectly Balanced As All Things Should Be Posted Image

Pile on the skill nodes to complement the quirks and drop to er smalls or a pure ammo load and just lol..

Have to say its a hoot to run though. Posted Image

#2 sycocys

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 7,599 posts

Posted 09 February 2023 - 04:12 PM

It definitely is a good time. At least it's glass cannon-y rather than what they did with the crab.

Think I set mine up with a 275 and single small for when the cannon inevitably gets blasted off so I can do 10 extra damage in the match. Was also looking at a std 225, 2 mg and 3 smalls with a half ton less 20 ammo, just because I feel like the other ballistic points are ignored.

#3 foamyesque

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 694 posts

Posted 09 February 2023 - 05:55 PM

I love the 4G and I'm glad it got some quirk help :)

#4 feeWAIVER

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,643 posts

Posted 09 February 2023 - 08:23 PM

4G has always been good. Cauldron just made it better with a couple range buffs as far as I know.
I've been running mine with 1mp and 2 er small.. I dunno if that's the best build but that's what I've been doing lately.

#5 Meep Meep

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 2,757 posts
  • LocationBehind You

Posted 09 February 2023 - 09:04 PM

View PostfeeWAIVER, on 09 February 2023 - 08:23 PM, said:

4G has always been good. Cauldron just made it better with a couple range buffs as far as I know.
I've been running mine with 1mp and 2 er small.. I dunno if that's the best build but that's what I've been doing lately.

They giga quirked it from what it was starting with the july patch. Buffed the normal ballistic range cooldown and velocity quirks then added in a mirrored set of even stronger ac20 quirks piled on top then you get to add even more skill nodes buffing the same three areas and then buffed ac20 velocity last patch. It's ridiculously strong but eh I'll take it while it lasts since I don't really see many of them. At this point in the game everyone has their favorite mechs and builds and tends to stick with them past the meta tryhards.

Edited by Meep Meep, 09 February 2023 - 09:05 PM.

#6 foamyesque

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 694 posts

Posted 09 February 2023 - 10:46 PM

View Postsycocys, on 09 February 2023 - 04:12 PM, said:

It definitely is a good time. At least it's glass cannon-y rather than what they did with the crab.

Think I set mine up with a 275 and single small for when the cannon inevitably gets blasted off so I can do 10 extra damage in the match. Was also looking at a std 225, 2 mg and 3 smalls with a half ton less 20 ammo, just because I feel like the other ballistic points are ignored.

Mine's running a 270 and triple ERSLs -- I've also got an AMS jammed in, but honestly with how fast you can magdump I might well cut that for more ammo.

#7 Meep Meep

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 2,757 posts
  • LocationBehind You

Posted 09 February 2023 - 11:21 PM

View Postfoamyesque, on 09 February 2023 - 10:46 PM, said:

Mine's running a 270 and triple ERSLs -- I've also got an AMS jammed in, but honestly with how fast you can magdump I might well cut that for more ammo.

It really is insane how fast this thing fires when you add in the full cooldown tree.

Min/maxed a full ammo build. Can't cram in any more as far as I can tell by going a lower rated engine due to slot restrictions even on single heat sinks.

DakkaDakka

80 shots but given how much range you get with the quirks and skills you should be shooting at anything that shows itself. The damn near ac2 velocity means no dodging. I still prefer the er med fit since it also gets a nice range boost so ammo isn't as much of a concern. But a lance of these working together can take down any mech fast.

#8 Meep Meep

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 2,757 posts
  • LocationBehind You

Posted 09 February 2023 - 11:43 PM

Awww this was a gripe about balance not particularly a build thread. Posted Image

#9 Ekson Valdez

Volunteer Moderator

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 696 posts

Posted 09 February 2023 - 11:50 PM

This thread was moved to Medium Mech Builds

P.S.: If you have balance feedback, I'd recommend taking it to the Official Cauldron Discord Channel

#10 Meep Meep

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 2,757 posts
  • LocationBehind You

Posted 10 February 2023 - 01:27 AM

View PostEkson Valdez, on 09 February 2023 - 11:50 PM, said:

[mod]This thread was moved to Medium Mech Builds[/mod]

P.S.: If you have balance feedback, I'd recommend taking it to the Official Cauldron Discord Channel

Well I kinda wanted to get the overall gist of how others felt before I went nagging them over a what might be personal balance gripe. Posted Image

#11 sycocys

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 7,599 posts

Posted 10 February 2023 - 04:59 AM

View PostEkson Valdez, on 09 February 2023 - 11:50 PM, said:

[mod]This thread was moved to Medium Mech Builds[/mod]

If they are working balance for the game and not using the game's forums as a discussion place - they probably shouldn't be working on the game's balance.

View PostMeep Meep, on 10 February 2023 - 01:27 AM, said:

Well I kinda wanted to get the overall gist of how others felt before I went nagging them over a what might be personal balance gripe. Posted Image

It's overbuffed.
But I'm just taking a guess that it is so because their pipeline is to power buff a lot of other chassis to really jank up the balance.

#12 w0qj

• The Territorial
  • The Territorial
  • 3,421 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationAt your 6 :)

Posted 10 February 2023 - 05:49 AM

I love my HBK-4G(F) ;)

Many thanks to MWO/Cauldron, the AC20 just got a buff that made it deadlier, a genuine alternative to UAC20 ! ;)
https://mwomercs.com...0-24january2023
https://mwomercs.com...auldron-changes

#13 foamyesque

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 694 posts

Posted 10 February 2023 - 03:10 PM

View PostMeep Meep, on 10 February 2023 - 01:27 AM, said:

I don't think it's particularly unbalanced? It's fun, but the DPS isn't that strong. It's helped out by being mid-range pinpoint, but you're still very much an all-or-nothing build and that hunch is very exposed.

#14 Meep Meep

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 2,757 posts
  • LocationBehind You

Posted 10 February 2023 - 04:09 PM

View Postfoamyesque, on 10 February 2023 - 03:10 PM, said:

I don't think it's particularly unbalanced? It's fun, but the DPS isn't that strong. It's helped out by being mid-range pinpoint, but you're still very much an all-or-nothing build and that hunch is very exposed.

I don't think its op due to it simply being a hunchie with hunchie hitboxes. But they did overbuff the ac20 on it. I'd say remove the velocity buffs so its not damn near hitscan under 300m and decrease the rof a bit. With skill bonus on the first fit I put up it has almost 16 dps for longer than you will have facetime to apply it before maxing the heat bar or killing your target outright. Thats almost the same as three rac2 and those are onerous to face.

As to being exposed the ac20 is high mount at cockpit level so you should be poking ridges and ramps the majority of the time for minimal exposure. Solo dropping in qp won't be a huge influencer of a fight but I have seen a few videos of twitch streamers lancing up with them and the combined dakka and pew is just devastating. It's a good combination of mobility and firepower.

Edited by Meep Meep, 10 February 2023 - 04:23 PM.

#15 foamyesque

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 694 posts

Posted 11 February 2023 - 01:43 AM

View PostMeep Meep, on 10 February 2023 - 04:09 PM, said:

As to being exposed the ac20 is high mount at cockpit level so you should be poking ridges and ramps the majority of the time for minimal exposure. Solo dropping in qp won't be a huge influencer of a fight but I have seen a few videos of twitch streamers lancing up with them and the combined dakka and pew is just devastating. It's a good combination of mobility and firepower.

Eh, a coordinated group drop can break a lot of other mech builds and weapons too. I wouldn't consider that much of a factor. And hell, I'm just fine with overbuffed short/mid fighters -- there's an awful lot of sniping out there, and stuff that can keep 'em honest, that's a good thing.

The thing about the hunch is that it's a wonderful high mount that allows you to peek over ridges, but it can be shot from literally any angle whatsoever in the horizontal plane -- twisting can reduce incoming, but if the other guy gets the shot right the hunch can be on the far side of the Hunchie from the incoming fire and still eat it. So you can't twist well, and since you can't put JJs on the 4G, you can't poptart it either, and it doesn't have ECM.

So the only thing it's got going for it is the fact that it has one Big Gun that you have to respect, and my feeling is that the quirks right now are pretty decent at achieving that.

Edited by foamyesque, 11 February 2023 - 01:44 AM.

#16 feeWAIVER

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,643 posts

Posted 12 February 2023 - 08:30 PM

View Postfoamyesque, on 11 February 2023 - 01:43 AM, said:

Eh, a coordinated group drop can break a lot of other mech builds and weapons too. I wouldn't consider that much of a factor. And hell, I'm just fine with overbuffed short/mid fighters -- there's an awful lot of sniping out there, and stuff that can keep 'em honest, that's a good thing.

The thing about the hunch is that it's a wonderful high mount that allows you to peek over ridges, but it can be shot from literally any angle whatsoever in the horizontal plane -- twisting can reduce incoming, but if the other guy gets the shot right the hunch can be on the far side of the Hunchie from the incoming fire and still eat it. So you can't twist well, and since you can't put JJs on the 4G, you can't poptart it either, and it doesn't have ECM.

So the only thing it's got going for it is the fact that it has one Big Gun that you have to respect, and my feeling is that the quirks right now are pretty decent at achieving that.

well said.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users