March Madness Event Queue Weekend + Sale!

67 replies to this topic

#61 C337Skymaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 1,450 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 09 March 2023 - 04:32 AM

View Postw0qj, on 04 March 2023 - 04:14 PM, said:

Crusader Crael (CRD-CR) hero mech has always been just over 2000 MC; that's regular price.

Also: Roughneck Bolt (RGH-BLT) hero mech always just under 3000 MC; it's also regular price.

These are priced to move; significantly MC cheaper than other comparable Heavy hero mechs like you've already noted! Cheaper than other Roughneck and Catapult heros mechs.

(Personally I think that asking for a further 50% Off MC for above Crusder & Roughneck hero mechs would be a bit much...
these are already at reasonable prices!)

I agree wholeheartedly. These are already cheaper than their peers when their peers are on a 50% off sale, which is part of why I was so confused. At least until recently, MC pricing of hero 'mechs has been standardized based on tonnage and tech class (Clan Omnimech heroes are customized and a higher cost, but Clan Battlemechs still follow the tonnage-standardized pricing format of 75 MC per ton).

#62 C337Skymaster

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 1,450 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 09 March 2023 - 04:36 AM

View PostShooteyMcShooterson, on 06 March 2023 - 05:11 PM, said:

New heroes that came out more recently have been cheaper than older heroes for a while now. For example, the Sun Spider Ambush and Roughneck Bolt are also cheaper than similar heroes.

So intentionally broken, rather than accidentally. Got it. (Bolt seems neither here nor there. Ambush seemed Meta from the start, and already min/maxed by PGI, and Crael is just straight up OP).

#63 KeZangaren777

• Pip
  • Shredder
  • 16 posts

Posted 09 March 2023 - 05:29 AM

View PostDuke Falcon, on 08 March 2023 - 12:12 PM, said:

STONE RHINO Posted Image

Would be totally crazy Posted Image

My bet goes for some IS mech this time. Perhaps an IS heavy...

I'm hoping for more ClanMech Because This year feels like Clanyear

#64 C337Skymaster

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 1,450 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 09 March 2023 - 09:22 AM

View Postsimon1812, on 08 March 2023 - 09:09 AM, said:

Any word what will be the free mech of march?

View PostDuke Falcon, on 08 March 2023 - 12:12 PM, said:

STONE RHINO Posted Image

Would be totally crazy Posted Image

My bet goes for some IS mech this time. Perhaps an IS heavy...

View PostKeZangaren777, on 09 March 2023 - 05:29 AM, said:

I'm hoping for more ClanMech Because This year feels like Clanyear

So I don't think anybody knows what the next free 'mech will be until the event is announced. I suspect even Daeron and Matt don't necessarily know which one they're going to pick until shortly before they pick it. I wouldn't be surprised if there was a dice roll involved. :)

As for Stone Rhino, or any other new Clan chassis: as fair as it would be to add another Clan 'mech after getting two new IS chassis, the straight facts are that any 3025 IS 'mechs they add can use the same artwork and be added to both MWO and MW5, allowing PGI and EG7 to double-dip on the artist costs. Anything Clan is going to be unique to MWO, and is going to have a lot more trouble recouping the investment cost to create it.

I hate it just as much as you do, because we could very much use the Turkina (another 95 tonner, where we only have a single one) and the Fire Falcon (another 25 tonner where we have only one), but the chances of either of those seeing the light of day in MWO are practically nil. Stone Rhino will definitely be next, if they can justify spending on a Clan 'mech (read "MWO-Only 'mech"), because of MW2 nostalgia driving requests and sales. Surprising to me: apparently requests for the Stone Rhino have outstripped even requests for the Firemoth.

#65 C337Skymaster

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 1,450 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 09 March 2023 - 09:28 AM

3025 'mechs not yet in MWO:
Wasp
Stinger
Valkyrie
Ostscout
Clint
Hermes II
Whitworth
Scorpion
Ostroc
Ostsol
Goliath

Of those, two are quad 'mechs, three have almost no variants to the base chassis (or the variants that do exist don't change the hardpoints at all), and most of their builds can already be done on the 'mechs that exist, so they wouldn't be adding anything new except the visual style.

#66 ShooteyMcShooterson

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Star Commander
  • Star Commander
  • 290 posts

Posted 09 March 2023 - 07:48 PM

View PostC337Skymaster, on 09 March 2023 - 04:36 AM, said:

So intentionally broken, rather than accidentally. Got it. (Bolt seems neither here nor there. Ambush seemed Meta from the start, and already min/maxed by PGI, and Crael is just straight up OP).

I just figured that new content is more rare now than in the past when mechs were constantly coming out, and so they wanted to have a way for new stuff to be more accessible to low budget or FTP players. As you note, they are strong performers. If only a small part of the player base has affordable access to them, then it can become a fairness issue.

#67 LordtulakhordTTV

Rookie

• The Privateer
  • The Privateer
  • 4 posts
  • LocationE-arth

Posted 11 March 2023 - 02:22 PM

This is the march event? never saw it advertised on main page...hmmm. Also i work EVERY weekend....lame

#68 C337Skymaster

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 1,450 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 13 March 2023 - 07:31 PM

View PostShooteyMcShooterson, on 09 March 2023 - 07:48 PM, said:

I just figured that new content is more rare now than in the past when mechs were constantly coming out, and so they wanted to have a way for new stuff to be more accessible to low budget or FTP players. As you note, they are strong performers. If only a small part of the player base has affordable access to them, then it can become a fairness issue.

And that's understandable (and probably their main intent), but I think the approach is wrong: you're kinda pigeon holing players into those particular 'mechs because they're cheap for their weight, and particularly 'mechs like Crael which is super OP, flooding the map with many multiples of that chassis, to the point where you're almost forced into joining that meta or becoming the weak link on the team.

I kinda feel like prices should be left consistent, and if they want to make 'mechs accessible to newer players, they can drop ALL the prices (as they do during sales). If they want to drop them further, go for it. If they want to make the price cut permanent: go for it. But it should be consistent across a weight class so they're not shooing players in a particular direction.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users