Jump to content

Texture Problem :(


12 replies to this topic

#1 BLACKR0SE

    Member

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Meta
  • The Meta
  • 1,375 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationTurkey/Sivas

Posted 07 March 2023 - 06:18 AM

I see this problem on some old machines. Isn't it possible to fix it?



Posted Image

THANATOS

Edited by TAMTAMBABY, 07 March 2023 - 06:19 AM.


#2 LordNothing

    Member

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,948 posts

Posted 07 March 2023 - 07:01 PM

they switched to 2k textures awhile back. some of the older mechs probibly didnt have high res texture sources and so they just upscaled them. some of them should be revisited with a less crappy supersampler.

#3 BLACKR0SE

    Member

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Meta
  • The Meta
  • 1,375 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationTurkey/Sivas

Posted 08 March 2023 - 08:47 AM

I loved this machine. unfortunately this has the same problem.

See how nice the guns look?

bad texture, ruining it.

Posted Image

ROUGHNECK BOLT

Edited by TAMTAMBABY, 08 March 2023 - 08:48 AM.


#4 LordNothing

    Member

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,948 posts

Posted 08 March 2023 - 08:53 AM

could also be they assumed no-one would see those surfaces and then didnt give them as much space in the uv map. auto unwrappers can sometimes do this, but its usually a product of corner cutting. its also not an easy thing to fix, where you need to redo the uv map and sometimes parts of the texture.

Edited by LordNothing, 08 March 2023 - 09:03 AM.


#5 BLACKR0SE

    Member

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Meta
  • The Meta
  • 1,375 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationTurkey/Sivas

Posted 08 March 2023 - 09:59 AM

This is a beauty that cannot be thrown away.
If we say "it's not easy" to everything, we can't go one step further.

Developing a game is hard work, I know that.
It's much harder to have a mmo game.

#6 Meep Meep

    Member

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,863 posts
  • LocationBehind You

Posted 08 March 2023 - 07:42 PM

View PostLordNothing, on 08 March 2023 - 08:53 AM, said:

could also be they assumed no-one would see those surfaces and then didnt give them as much space in the uv map. auto unwrappers can sometimes do this, but its usually a product of corner cutting. its also not an easy thing to fix, where you need to redo the uv map and sometimes parts of the texture.


Given the extreme fov setting being used thats the most likely explanation. Corner cutting to save dev time and money so they could spend it on the single player titles.

#7 LordNothing

    Member

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,948 posts

Posted 08 March 2023 - 08:21 PM

View PostTAMTAMBABY, on 08 March 2023 - 09:59 AM, said:

This is a beauty that cannot be thrown away.
If we say "it's not easy" to everything, we can't go one step further.

Developing a game is hard work, I know that.
It's much harder to have a mmo game.


well ive actually done uv mapping and was sometimes guilty of this very sin. the kind that bites you in the buttocks later and you find yourself redoing days of work. its also not something that reveals itself until the textures are done further down the workflow. eventually i learned to keep an even texel density across the whole model.

View PostMeep Meep, on 08 March 2023 - 07:42 PM, said:


Given the extreme fov setting being used thats the most likely explanation. Corner cutting to save dev time and money so they could spend it on the single player titles.


yea i saw this all the time before i retired my trackir. i kind of thought it was nuts to cut these corners on potentially visible surfaces so close to the cockpit. they were clearly done before they new they knew they were going to add head tracking support. otherwise it would have been an established design rule not to do this.

you really dont save much time on these corners either (especially if you have to fix it). its better to do the job right the first time through. pgi took the 'ignore it and hope people dont notice' route.

Edited by LordNothing, 08 March 2023 - 08:37 PM.


#8 Meep Meep

    Member

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,863 posts
  • LocationBehind You

Posted 08 March 2023 - 08:49 PM

Well to be fair I've never noticed it before since I typically reduce my fov a tiny bit so the cockpit frames are not as intrusive. The locust is notorious for this.

#9 Ekson Valdez

    Volunteer Moderator

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 699 posts

Posted 16 March 2023 - 10:35 PM



This thread was moved to the subforum General Discussion.
Please try to place topics in the appropriate spaces next time.
Thank you.




#10 confracto

    Member

  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 112 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 17 March 2023 - 10:15 PM

The body models are UV'd before the cockpit is built. The body's texel density is supposed to remain even, and if there are visibility concerns about what you can see out of the cockpit, extra geo should be planned for ahead of time, but that determination is done before the cockpit is made, so it's a guess. There are examples of this like the Dragon, Viper and Crusader where custom nose geo is present, I can't recall the others, but there are not many.
I don't recall the specifics of the Thanatos, but I think it wasn't viewed as a big concern because most people don't play with that FOV (but yeah, this guy's got some serious blinders on). The Thantos was authored in 4k with 2k texture output to the game. that system was standard by this point in production and those visible parts are just really close. Also, this system doesn't work for weapons, so there's no fixing the issue for the shadow hawk and the roughneck.

#11 BLACKR0SE

    Member

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Meta
  • The Meta
  • 1,375 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationTurkey/Sivas

Posted 18 March 2023 - 05:29 AM

View Postconfracto, on 17 March 2023 - 10:15 PM, said:

The body models are UV'd before the cockpit is built. The body's texel density is supposed to remain even, and if there are visibility concerns about what you can see out of the cockpit, extra geo should be planned for ahead of time, but that determination is done before the cockpit is made, so it's a guess. There are examples of this like the Dragon, Viper and Crusader where custom nose geo is present, I can't recall the others, but there are not many.
I don't recall the specifics of the Thanatos, but I think it wasn't viewed as a big concern because most people don't play with that FOV (but yeah, this guy's got some serious blinders on). The Thantos was authored in 4k with 2k texture output to the game. that system was standard by this point in production and those visible parts are just really close. Also, this system doesn't work for weapons, so there's no fixing the issue for the shadow hawk and the roughneck.


It shouldn't be this hard to close windows or add a watermark. I just don't want it to look ugly.

#12 Razgriz_

    Member

  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Guillotine
  • Guillotine
  • 243 posts
  • LocationInner Sphere

Posted 18 March 2023 - 11:23 AM

Damn, I lived in a TNS for a few weeks and never noticed how bad the sides look in the cockpit. I play with 90 FOV and spend half the time zoomed in. That is rough.

#13 BLACKR0SE

    Member

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Meta
  • The Meta
  • 1,375 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationTurkey/Sivas

Posted 18 March 2023 - 07:13 PM

View PostOrion_, on 18 March 2023 - 11:23 AM, said:

Damn, I lived in a TNS for a few weeks and never noticed how bad the sides look in the cockpit. I play with 90 FOV and spend half the time zoomed in. That is rough.


I bought a 4k monitor to see the entire cockpit.
before that i was using widescreen monitor. I had a wider view.
I love the cockpit :)





1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users