Strange PC Issue, Looking for Insight

36 replies to this topic

#1 Gun Bear

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,016 posts
  • LocationGarrison duty on some FWL Planet and itching for action.

Posted 14 October 2012 - 05:21 AM

I've had my PC for about 6 years and take excellent care of it - daily virus scans, weekly defragmentation, monthly basic maintenance, the whole 10 yards.

Recently my computer has started behaving oddly and I am certain it is a hardware failure of some sort but cannot place my finger on it and I'm finally stumped so I'm coming here for help. About the 9th of September my computer froze to the point where it forced a hard restart (having to manually power the computer down and back on) but upon restart the computer fired up but would not boot; the monitor behaved as if the computer was not running and the 'beep' my computer makes when it launches the operating system didn't sound. It was just after a severe storm so I figured that the brownout conditions in the area were preventing the computer from getting enough power and the next day the computer started up fine. On the 15th the computer did the same thing (freezing, hard restart, not booting) so I tested the power supply, the readings came back within the right tolerances but the computer still would not boot up, thinking their may have been a short in a connection to the power supply I reseated every power connection using different connecting cables and the computer once more began working fine. On the 9th of this month my computer once again froze forcing a hard restart but this time the computer came back on normally then blue screened with an error message (I couldn't record the error number because it flashed by too quickly) and automatically restarted to launch a system diagnoses which came back determining everything was fine but when I tried to launch the OS it blue screened once more, I tried running a system restore point and the computer froze, blue screened, and now will not boot up again.

What could be wrong with the computer? Is it a power supply issue, a CPU issue? Is something wrong with the operating system?

Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.

#2 Devan McQuaid

Rookie

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 5 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 05:36 AM

I'm no computer science major, but it almost sounds like your motherboard is crapping out or dead if it no longer boots.

#3 The Black Veil

Rookie

• 6 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 14 October 2012 - 05:39 AM

Hey, Gun Bear.

From my limited knowledge of computers, it SOUNDS like it might be something along the lines of your RAM going bad and maybe the HDD.

The only way for you to test this stuff for certain is to remove the components, place them in a friend's or family member's tower and have a look at the results.

Hope this helps at all.

View PostDevan McQuaid, on 14 October 2012 - 05:36 AM, said:

I'm no computer science major, but it almost sounds like your motherboard is crapping out or dead if it no longer boots.

Or this. Which would probably be a cheaper fix, in the long run, anyhow!

#4 Weyoun

• PipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 34 posts
  • LocationManchester

Posted 14 October 2012 - 05:41 AM

Ram or Motherboard id saybut best way to be sure is as black veil said is to test each piece in someone elses rig to be sure

#5 SpikeTank

• PipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 05:41 AM

Did you check the power supply unit?

#6 Gun Bear

• 1,016 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 05:43 AM

If its the motherboard I'll need to buy a new rig since the MB is built into the case.

#7 Hovi

Rookie

• Giant Helper
  • 2 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 05:43 AM

First you need to disable automatic restart so you can read the error message.
Navigate to the Control Panel in Windows XP by left-clicking on Start, followed by Settings and then choosing Control Panel.In the Control Panel window, open System.Note: In Microsoft Windows XP, depending on how your operating system is setup, you may not see the System icon. To correct this, click on the link on the left-hand side of the Control Panel window that says Switch to Classic View.In the System Properties window, click on the Advanced tab.Locate the Startup and Recovery area and click on the Settings button. In the Startup and Recovery window, locate and uncheck the check box next to Automatically restart.Also its not RAM because post would give you an error beep code. I'm guessing video card. but you wont know until you see that error message.

#8 BGabric

Rookie

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 14 October 2012 - 05:44 AM

http://en.wikipedia....apacitor_plague

Being that your computer is 6 years old its right in the time line for this.

Bryan

#9 Gun Bear

• 1,016 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 05:49 AM

View PostSpikeTank, on 14 October 2012 - 05:41 AM, said:

Did you check the power supply unit?

Yes I have, I mentioned it in the OP, I used a Magnometer to test it.

#10 Gun Bear

• 1,016 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 05:54 AM

View PostBGabric, on 14 October 2012 - 05:44 AM, said:

http://en.wikipedia....apacitor_plague

Being that your computer is 6 years old its right in the time line for this.

Bryan

I'll certainly be checking my capacitators for that kind of damage when I get the chance... like mentioned earlier I hope its not something like that since I'll have to replace the rig then as the motherboard is integral...

View PostHovi, on 14 October 2012 - 05:43 AM, said:

First you need to disable automatic restart so you can read the error message.
Navigate to the Control Panel in Windows XP by left-clicking on Start, followed by Settings and then choosing Control Panel.In the Control Panel window, open System.Note: In Microsoft Windows XP, depending on how your operating system is setup, you may not see the System icon. To correct this, click on the link on the left-hand side of the Control Panel window that says Switch to Classic View.In the System Properties window, click on the Advanced tab.Locate the Startup and Recovery area and click on the Settings button. In the Startup and Recovery window, locate and uncheck the check box next to Automatically restart.Also its not RAM because post would give you an error beep code. I'm guessing video card. but you wont know until you see that error message.

I'll need to get the computer to kick on and boot up before I could test that :)

#11 Hovi

Rookie

• Giant Helper
  • 2 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 05:59 AM

I still assume its video card. Since it passes POST and hands off to video and you get nothing. So if you have any other video card to test. Or maybe even on board video.

#12 Pershaw

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 139 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 06:22 AM

First off you're taking a risk having computer on and plugged in during thunder storms.
If possible try another PSU.
Disconnect all USB/network devices and try booting.
Replace CMOS battery.
Clear CMOS, and see if that helped. (but first remember if you had AHCI enabled or not.)
Try removing all ram and boot it up, if it beeps motherboard might or might not be ok. (if it does not beep or return some error code in the form of LEDS on the computer case/mobo etc, mobo might be dead or damaged)
Try with one mem stick at a time, or two if you have to, to get it to boot.
If you manage to boot:
Run memtest on each stick: http://www.memtest.org/

Edited by Pershaw, 14 October 2012 - 06:28 AM.

#13 Arcqueid

• PipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 22 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 06:24 AM

Don't get too crazy yet. You may have a corrupted bios. See if you can find the same version of your current bios then flash it. If that does not work then it is most likely a bad main board or ram. First check your ram by running one ram chip at a time. The blue screen may also occur from inadequate data transmission on the main board. Also some hard drive errors cause the blue screen. Those are rare ,but your system is reaching it's life span. Most computers are only meant to last 3 to 5 years under normal conditions. Over time your system heats up and cools down. This makes the silica expand and contract and the printed conductors move against the silica. This weakens the board and leaves it open to static and other forms of harmful charges or moisture. I recommend that you upgrade to a newer system. If you want to use that system still just start cheap and work your way up. Most of the time that method ends up being a new system if the box is 3 years old or older thou. :)

#14 KBob

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 308 posts
  • LocationCountry of DEVs

Posted 14 October 2012 - 06:27 AM

guys ... let's face it ... it 6 years old, and it's not like 1980 computers that were practicalyl immortal. From the fact that "cleaning" make it work - most probably there is a combination of small issues, and it's more difficult to find them, than to replace the whole story.

For those who really want to check

1) power supply readings have to be made under full load
2) voltage on motherboard have to be checked as well

It can't be HDD or software ( no chance for software to stop booting ). But it could be some trouble with bios ( try to load new version if possible .. this would fix any trouble with old one)

Overall - think about upgrading, it's a signal anyway

#15 Sgt Minuteman

• PipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 51 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 06:38 AM

Download Ultimate Boot disk
http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/

You can test everthing. Even restoring and saving BIOS to disc..

Over 100 free utilities. I use it test hardware, to reset forgotten passwords on PC, to stressing CPUs, to partitioning hard drives....

Edited by Sgt Minuteman, 14 October 2012 - 06:42 AM.

#16 Gun Bear

• 1,016 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 06:39 AM

I wish I could upgrade but I can't afford to, especially not afford to and still play MWO and I got a Merc Squad I'm trying to run :)

#17 Bloodshed Romance

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 726 posts
  • LocationFlorence, South Carolina

Posted 14 October 2012 - 06:43 AM

for those that say its video card, easy way to test this.. if the motherboard has onboard video then just take the video card out and use onboard video.. this could also point to power supply but is unlikely because he said that it was already tested...

next i'd say its RAM, easy way to test this is to take 1 stick out and rotate them out until the problem stops.. if the problem stops then whatever RAM Stick you have out is the problem..

after that everything would point to motherboard/cpu....

edit: thats the easiest way to tell if its HARDWARE without having a good way to test every part...

Edited by Bloodshed Romance, 14 October 2012 - 06:45 AM.

#18 Oderint dum Metuant

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,758 posts
  • LocationUnited Kingdom

Posted 14 October 2012 - 06:45 AM

RAM/Mobo issues imo, how many RAM sticks do you have in?
If multiple try one stick at a time the next time this happens.

#19 Gun Bear

• 1,016 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 06:51 AM

View PostSgt Minuteman, on 14 October 2012 - 06:38 AM, said:

Download Ultimate Boot disk
http://www.ultimatebootcd.com/

You can test everthing. Even restoring and saving BIOS to disc..

Over 100 free utilities. I use it test hardware, to reset forgotten passwords on PC, to stressing CPUs, to partitioning hard drives....

How much would that run me? And if I can't get my computer to boot how will this help me :)

View PostBloodshed Romance, on 14 October 2012 - 06:43 AM, said:

for those that say its video card, easy way to test this.. if the motherboard has onboard video then just take the video card out and use onboard video.. this could also point to power supply but is unlikely because he said that it was already tested...

next i'd say its RAM, easy way to test this is to take 1 stick out and rotate them out until the problem stops.. if the problem stops then whatever RAM Stick you have out is the problem..

edit: thats the easiest way to tell if its HARDWARE without having a good way to test every part...

The issue is intermittent, its about 2 weeks between times it does this and I don't have 8 weeks it would take to test my RAM that way, or enough RAM to go around missing a GB stick.

View PostBloodshed Romance, on 14 October 2012 - 06:43 AM, said:

4GB of RAM on 4 sticks.

#20 Kekrebos

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 226 posts

Posted 14 October 2012 - 06:52 AM

View PostKBob, on 14 October 2012 - 06:27 AM, said:

guys ... let's face it ... it 6 years old, and it's not like 1980 computers that were practicalyl immortal. From the fact that "cleaning" make it work - most probably there is a combination of small issues, and it's more difficult to find them, than to replace the whole story.

For those who really want to check

1) power supply readings have to be made under full load
2) voltage on motherboard have to be checked as well

It can't be HDD or software ( no chance for software to stop booting ). But it could be some trouble with bios ( try to load new version if possible .. this would fix any trouble with old one)

Overall - think about upgrading, it's a signal anyway

I wouldn't fully rule out HDD. I had a similar problem once where my HDD platters had seized and it was causing a short in the system. I found this out the hard way when I was trying to trouble shoot it, was rebooting it again (sometimes had to hold the power button on to even get it to turn on) and fire shot out of the power supply.

I'd unhook all drives, pull out the memory, then put the memory back, then one drive at a time. Try to narrow down what piece it is. If it acts the same with everything unhooked, check video card, sound cards... pretty much go component by component.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users