Light Mech Meta - Not Doing Game Any Favors.

BattleMechs Metagame

62 replies to this topic

#41 Curccu

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 4,616 posts

Posted 22 March 2023 - 06:41 AM

View PostfeeWAIVER, on 21 March 2023 - 02:31 PM, said:

please stop with the multi-quoting. It's super annoying.

It's only good way to quote wall of text that has multiple points.

#42 foamyesque

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 694 posts

Posted 22 March 2023 - 07:06 AM

View PostDer Geisterbaer, on 22 March 2023 - 06:25 AM, said:

You'll have to live with that. I won't change my posting style that serves a very particular purpose for me just because you (or anyone else) feel annoyed by having to scroll a bit longer than you like.

Breaking up one sentence into multiple quotes serves only the purpose of making an argument unreadable.

#43 Der Geisterbaer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 800 posts

Posted 22 March 2023 - 07:38 AM

View Postfoamyesque, on 22 March 2023 - 07:06 AM, said:

Breaking up one sentence into multiple quotes serves only the purpose of making an argument unreadable.

Breaking up sentences into their subelements that carry different ideas does not make "an argument" (provided that the sentence actually contains "an argument") unreadable in general but possibly for you. That's your problem then. Considering the fact that I'm only quoting an already existing text you should have no trouble with getting "the argument" by reading the original and then just focussing on reading my commentary to the subelements to get my arguments. In addition to that, the quoting style also saves me from having to use indirect speech to counter particular aspects and thereby also avoid any accusations of misrepresenting what the other other poster originally said.

So the answer remains the same: I will not alter my posting style to make things easier for you (or anyone else) for the sake of your personal ideas of "readability" and "being annoyed".

Now get back on topic

#44 I am a Robot

• PipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 22 March 2023 - 08:22 AM

I have seen a lot more long range sniper builds lately which are hard to hit fast close range light mechs with.

#45 foamyesque

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 694 posts

Posted 22 March 2023 - 10:25 AM

View PostDer Geisterbaer, on 22 March 2023 - 07:38 AM, said:

(I)n addition to that, the quoting style also saves me from having to use indirect speech to counter particular aspects and thereby also avoid any accusations of misrepresenting what the other other poster originally said.

Skill issue.

Edited by foamyesque, 22 March 2023 - 10:26 AM.

#46 Meep Meep

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 2,757 posts
  • LocationBehind You

Posted 22 March 2023 - 10:32 AM

View PostI am a Robot, on 22 March 2023 - 08:22 AM, said:

I have seen a lot more long range sniper builds lately which are hard to hit fast close range light mechs with.

Which is what generates much of the omg lights op stuff. They just wanted to peacefully sit back take a few tokes then zone out and farm damage and here comes these little shits who ruin their buzz. Posted Image

#47 Der Geisterbaer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 800 posts

Posted 22 March 2023 - 11:12 AM

View Postfoamyesque, on 22 March 2023 - 10:25 AM, said:

Skill issue.

~sigh~ So now it's stupid flames ... well, let me return the favour then:
Yes, quite obviously yours.

#48 Tarteso

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The People's Hero
  • 150 posts
  • LocationSpain

Posted 22 March 2023 - 11:18 AM

View PostCurccu, on 21 March 2023 - 01:15 PM, said:

Do you mean light mech just should be worst and they shouldn't be able to achieve similar match scores as other classes because in BT (turn based strategy game) they are weak?
I mean (in quickplay) we got 1 mech for 1 game, no matter which mech it is. We don't get 4.5 spiders for one dire wolf as we would in BT battlevalues

No, I mean that is not surprising if they have significant lower match scores with the current reward system (still pending to confirm; averages without error bars, ranges, or any other indications, of how data varies means nothing).

A more desiderable way to increase their scores, IMO, is not necessarily overquirking and buffing mechs and some specific weapons (which ends with the perception of a COD-like game plenty of fast puppets jumping and hunting heavier mechs with MGs), but increasing the rewards for more logical "light things" (as they have less armor and firepower) as spotting assists, planting UAVs, capture, etc. instead of focusing in their fighting capabilities.

#49 Tarteso

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The People's Hero
  • 150 posts
  • LocationSpain

Posted 22 March 2023 - 11:27 AM

View Postfoamyesque, on 22 March 2023 - 10:25 AM, said:

Skill issue.

Forget this guy, it´s clear that he loves forum wars

#50 Noobistheway

Rookie

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 8 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 22 March 2023 - 11:47 AM

Lights just need to have their code fixed so a hit is a hit. not this phantom damage.

#51 Duke Falcon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Nova Captain
  • Nova Captain
  • 888 posts
  • LocationHungary

Posted 22 March 2023 - 12:07 PM

Lights are OP...

In the Lyran-space!

Where assaults are the lights you cannot be wrong!

Hmmm... Quote this for meme?

#52 Curccu

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 4,616 posts

Posted 22 March 2023 - 12:39 PM

View PostTarteso, on 22 March 2023 - 11:18 AM, said:

No, I mean that is not surprising if they have significant lower match scores with the current reward system (still pending to confirm; averages without error bars, ranges, or any other indications, of how data varies means nothing).

I replied to you Yesterday and with that link there was chart of bit old data but nothing has really changed towards making lights better compared to other weight classes since that chart was created.
Mostly micropulse and MG nerfs which pretty directly nerfed few top performing lights.

A more desiderable way to increase their scores, IMO, is not necessarily overquirking and buffing mechs and some specific weapons (which ends with the perception of a COD-like game plenty of fast puppets jumping and hunting heavier mechs with MGs), but increasing the rewards for more logical "light things" (as they have less armor and firepower) as spotting assists, planting UAVs, capture, etc. instead of focusing in their fighting capabilities.

Yes would be nice but we both know that this game is team death match with secondary objectives and most of the times whichever team has more mechs focused to do those objectives loses the team death match part and the match eventually.

#53 foamyesque

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 694 posts

Posted 22 March 2023 - 12:41 PM

View PostNoobistheway, on 22 March 2023 - 11:47 AM, said:

Lights just need to have their code fixed so a hit is a hit. not this phantom damage.

Improved hitreg'd certainly help, yeah, given that one of the pieces of advice for being good at driving a light straight up is 'break the hitreg'.

Although given the times I see people complain about not hitting shots that they clearly in fact aimed wide (but thought in the heat that they didn't) I'm not sure it'd actually make people happier.

#54 Curccu

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 4,616 posts

Posted 22 March 2023 - 12:43 PM

View PostNoobistheway, on 22 March 2023 - 11:47 AM, said:

For some reason it is always fellows who do not play lights (7% lights played for you.) that claim lights are invincible and so on.

#55 I am a Robot

• PipPip
  • 42 posts

Posted 22 March 2023 - 04:33 PM

View PostMeep Meep, on 22 March 2023 - 10:32 AM, said:

Which is what generates much of the omg lights op stuff. They just wanted to peacefully sit back take a few tokes then zone out and farm damage and here comes these little shits who ruin their buzz. Posted Image

the exact point I was hoping to get across.

#56 Noobistheway

Rookie

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 8 posts
  • LocationChicago

Posted 22 March 2023 - 04:59 PM

View PostCurccu, on 22 March 2023 - 12:43 PM, said:

For some reason it is always fellows who do not play lights (7% lights played for you.) that claim lights are invincible and so on.

i didnt claim lights are invincible. but they do need the damage they take fixed. 59+ dmg alpha should drop a light with 25 ctr and 25 structure

#57 pbiggz

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,684 posts
  • LocationOutreach

Posted 22 March 2023 - 05:05 PM

it does

#58 MechWarrior2407734

• PipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 35 posts
  • LocationThese are not the Tryhards you are looking for..

Posted 22 March 2023 - 05:12 PM

View PostNoobistheway, on 22 March 2023 - 04:59 PM, said:

i didnt claim lights are invincible. but they do need the damage they take fixed. 59+ dmg alpha should drop a light with 25 ctr and 25 structure

What type of damage? Laser? Better have rock steady aim or most of it will splash around. Projectile? Better have good depth perception and leading skills or else you will miss those pixel wide targets. Missiles? They spread damage all over even with bonus. Getting a solid ct hit on an evading 20 tonner isn't supposed to be easy.

#59 Curccu

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 4,616 posts

Posted 23 March 2023 - 01:34 AM

View PostNoobistheway, on 22 March 2023 - 04:59 PM, said:

Did you count for extra HP for skills? Lights get most extra % of all classes.

And next question is did you hit with full burn? I can only assume 59+dmg is laser dmg because it's uneven number. Take a video, slow it down to 25% speed (Youtube has this feature in playback settings available for every video in YT) and check did your aim stay in 1 component

#60 Kiiyor

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 5,564 posts
  • LocationSCIENCE.

Posted 23 March 2023 - 01:52 AM

But... people play mechs because shooting things is fun. Light mech knife fights are fun. Spotting assists, uavs, capture etc are ancillary things that supplement gameplay, and would (IMHO) be horrifically boring if they were the main focus of an entire class.

The objectives in MWO are pretty barebones as is. I've played a few matches where I just cap in light mechs on conquest maps and it gets old, fast.

Who'd pilot a mech in a mech fighting game that couldn't fight?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users