19 replies to this topic

#1 VulkanNo1

• PipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 33 posts
  • LocationGod's Country

Posted 24 March 2023 - 08:11 PM

Ok, so i'm going to declare my bias here. I love the Brawl. The brawl is me, and I'm going to hug you nice and tight.

However there are few maps that force players into confined spaces. and I'd love a rabbit warren to play in. I understand that it would remove some elements of game play. but if i have to sneak up to you in Alpine peaks with a 60kph highlander, then you can range me in Brawl heaven.

However i'm making this pose to feel the communities persuasion for such a map.

#2 Heavy Money

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Marauder
  • 1,275 posts

Posted 24 March 2023 - 08:41 PM

I think its a good idea. The new map maker has made it clear that he supports the idea of maps that are tilted more towards one playstyle or another. Since we just got a map that's more towards long range, I think we're due for one that is biased toward brawling next!

#3 w0qj

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Territorial
  • The Territorial
  • 3,413 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationAt your 6 :)

Posted 24 March 2023 - 08:53 PM

+1
Support this motion!
I love brawling!

By the way, this is why I'm against a Drop Deck for QP (Quick Play) mode.
This would kill mech variety.
It's fun to catch other players LRM'ing in Solaris City, or catch snipers in their roost!
Or the other way around (which is not so fun for us brawlers).

A bit of everything for everyone's diverse play styles, I guess Posted Image

View PostVulkanNo1, on 24 March 2023 - 08:11 PM, said:

Ok, so i'm going to declare my bias here. I love the Brawl. The brawl is me, and I'm going to hug you nice and tight.

However there are few maps that force players into confined spaces. and I'd love a rabbit warren to play in. I understand that it would remove some elements of game play. but if i have to sneak up to you in Alpine peaks with a 60kph highlander, then you can range me in Brawl heaven.

However i'm making this pose to feel the communities persuasion for such a map.

Edited by w0qj, 25 March 2023 - 11:09 PM.

#4 Kynesis

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 223 posts
  • LocationSydney

Posted 24 March 2023 - 08:59 PM

It's a nice sentiment. The game is absolutely dominated, nearly to the point of being broken by sniping.

Edited by Kynesis, 24 March 2023 - 08:59 PM.

#5 Bassault

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2023 Gold Champ
  • CS 2023 Gold Champ
  • 366 posts

Posted 24 March 2023 - 09:06 PM

No, god no please. Alpine shouldn't exist and neither should this.

#6 Ihlrath

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wild Dog
  • Wild Dog
  • 368 posts

Posted 24 March 2023 - 09:16 PM

I'm all for a map that doesn't support the ridiculous lop sided sniper fest.

#7 VulkanNo1

• PipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 33 posts
  • LocationGod's Country

Posted 24 March 2023 - 09:31 PM

I'm not saying take out the existing maps, but there is the other thing. when your deployed in a mech that does not work for the map you have to be more careful/ precise with your play. it develops more tactical game play. forces players to adapt. I mean if you have a long range mech in HPG basement then you end up having to be more team orientated. because you have to share your armour etc. it would be quite interesting to see if the map ( if it gets designed ) becomes a favourite.

the sniper fest is quite hard to play against. However, it does force me to slow down and take tactical moves between cover, or accept a trade of damage for distance. I think there are few maps that truly cater for the BRAWL ( said is epic tone ) mech. the only few i can think of are.... Frozen City, perhaps caustic wasteland. HPG manifold if you go basement.

This is just my 2 pence. however I do think that the maps we have are very good. I like them. but then I have played them for 4 years so...........

Rds Vulkan

#8 Rondoe

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 247 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 25 March 2023 - 12:25 AM

I pretty much build all my mechs for brawling. Not a fan of long range and sniping. Other games I play I always go melee. Not a fan of caster or ranged classes.

I like to be in their face and wrecking them.

Nothing like sneaking up on long range/sniper type and just destroying them because they aren't set up for a brawl. Most of the alpha's I have set up on my mechs just wreck them in one shot.

But what mostly happens is I get destroyed while brawling by a sniper cuz the no honor having snipe types kill me while I'm taking out their team mate.

Such is warfare, adapt and survive or die. Be fluid. I at least try to carry some form of extended range laser to shoot back at them so they know that I know where they are. Advanced zoom is a must for me-my eyesight sucks.

The sniper maps are annoying yes. I'd love a SMALL arena type map that totally ruins the long range meta and then sit back with some popcorn and a few beers and read all the hate messages on these forums that will inevitably come from those who can't do anything other than snipe and it's tanking their stats.

knife fighting small quick mechs don't bother me when I'm dumb enough to get caught by one-totally my fault.

Yes I love my slow big dumb assault mechs. They are what I'm good at. Yes I'm biased that way.

Show me any player who isn't set in their ways and having to adapt to a different play style that won't scream bloody murder when things change. I've seen it many times on my other game on the 1 pvp map in the game. Lot's of screaming an gnashing of teeth over any change.

Adapt or die.

P.S. I love a good brawl, snipers suck. I won't scream bloody murder that things with the game need to change. I just need to get better at handling any situation thrown at me-like I was trained in the USN.

#9 RockmachinE

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,046 posts

Posted 25 March 2023 - 11:03 PM

I support this 100%.

There should definitely be more variety in maps. It would make the game more flexible and fun overall. There never has been a dedicated brawl map either.

In fact if there were more short/med range maps in the pool it would force people to make different builds to accommodate for the eventuality of getting said maps. Won't happen, but would be nice.

#10 Vorpal Puppy

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 250 posts

Posted 26 March 2023 - 03:39 PM

Absolutely we need a total brawl map. Keep the sight lines to AC20 standard range. I would love to see a labyrinth, but no jumping over the walls.

#11 sycocys

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 7,599 posts

Posted 26 March 2023 - 07:37 PM

They just added a brawling map.

I 100% agree that there should be many more.

#12 feeWAIVER

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,643 posts

Posted 26 March 2023 - 07:38 PM

View PostVorpal Puppy, on 26 March 2023 - 03:39 PM, said:

Absolutely we need a total brawl map. Keep the sight lines to AC20 standard range. I would love to see a labyrinth, but no jumping over the walls.

They could probably do it with like,, The Basement from HPG, copied and pasted over and over, connecting to itself.. like 20 basements in the square.

#13 Feezou

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 148 posts

Posted 26 March 2023 - 09:41 PM

A map shouldn't completely cater to one range bracket. Maps like alpine are already egregious enough, so we don't need more maps that make you feel useless because of the range bracket you decided to play in that match.

#14 Bud Crue

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 9,883 posts
  • LocationOn the farm in central Minnesota

Posted 27 March 2023 - 03:21 AM

View PostFeezou, on 26 March 2023 - 09:41 PM, said:

A map shouldn't completely cater to one range bracket. Maps like alpine are already egregious enough, so we don't need more maps that make you feel useless because of the range bracket you decided to play in that match.

Yep. As much as I hate maps that give long range traders the ability to start doing their thing 30 seconds from start (i.e. most of the maps in this game), what we need are maps that are balanced to allow all play styles to be viable. A map that caters to micropulse builds over all else would be no more fun than a map that caters to ERLL trading over all else.

Edited by Bud Crue, 27 March 2023 - 03:21 AM.

#15 Curccu

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 4,615 posts

Posted 27 March 2023 - 03:37 AM

View Postthe check engine light, on 26 March 2023 - 06:56 PM, said:

We have Solaris but people keep complaining about it.

Yep that map is total trash.

#16 sycocys

• Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 7,599 posts

Posted 27 March 2023 - 03:00 PM

View Postthe check engine light, on 27 March 2023 - 10:05 AM, said:

Case in point, really. It could use some optimization and I think the scale is kind of wonky, I also think it's too much of a "circle with concentric walls" design and has a lot of annoying "ground noise" that catches feet, but I like the core idea of a brawlish map that makes JJs a huge boon. Also has a ton of neat little details and some destructibility which is neat.

It looks like a find your way out maze that your kid would get on the placemat at Denny's, complete with the crayon scribble highway mixed with Atlantic City or Las Vegas (minus the main strip).

Really like the concept of having a city scape, but to me that map just doesn't play well in any mode - a lot of it due to them designing around the "go to the center" concept.

#17 Maj Destruction

• PipPipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • 52 posts
  • LocationUS

Posted 28 March 2023 - 06:56 PM

You know, I kinda feel the same about Solaris. Maybe I just haven't stumbled upon the right build or play style for that map. Seems like it should be a good brawler, but I don't find it very enjoyable for that. Best luck so far is with my lights. Always seems like the battle is fragmented, like there are a couple different battles going on. And half the time I'm stumbling around trying to find the action, without wandering right into the middle of it.

Might be cool with JJ, maybe I should try that.

Matt

#18 Razgriz_

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Guillotine
  • Guillotine
  • 243 posts
  • LocationInner Sphere

Posted 28 March 2023 - 11:32 PM

Brawl is love, brawl is life. I like Solaris and TMC a lot for brawling. Vitric and River City have their share of fun spots too. As much as I love it Im not sure how a cave or tight funnel map would do outside of 1v1s. Having medium sightlines is nice to keep team mates involved without it becoming a massive blue on blue fest. Something like the factory map from S7 could be super rad though. Have catwalks to allow some lines of sight but the areas between work racks for the brawl. Could be a problem if you don't have a mech with good pitch though...

#19 PocketYoda

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,136 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 28 March 2023 - 11:51 PM

Nothing like a good hug..

#20 VulkanNo1

• PipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 33 posts
  • LocationGod's Country

Posted 29 March 2023 - 01:07 PM

So from what I'm hearing, mostly positive. with a request to have more balanced maps. This being said, This is a Battle simulator. and sometimes you have to go in blind, would be normal for the enemy to pick battlefields with their advantage in mind.

I'm just saying, more maps with more options or focuses would mean we all have to adapt. I'm requesting a brawl map because there does not seem to be many that are well placed for the Brawl. However I do think that having a core of balanced maps and then outliers to allow people "to chose their terrain" or perhaps add in an element of randomness to the game. New drop locations could also improve the game, or just change it round. perhaps the Devs need to change the maps more and more often to get us used to challenging situations. ^^

Regards

Vulkan

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users