The Kodiak

9 replies to this topic

#1 Dio Maxwell

Rookie

• Knight Errant
  • 8 posts

Posted 04 April 2023 - 04:34 PM

Was interested in getting myself a Kodiak and two have my interest that being the KDK-3 and the champion version both have two ballistic hard points for the shoulders as well as sharing the same laser setup is there any other difference between these two besides the the 3(c) getting a exp boost?

#2 BLACKR0SE

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Meta
  • The Meta
  • 1,375 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationTurkey/Sivas

Posted 04 April 2023 - 05:37 PM

I am not satisfied with the ballistic one. I tried many combinations but did not find it functional. The laser version is fine. 4xLRG PULSE LASER is nice. bit of uac10 as a supplement.

Do not lower the CT below 100.

#3 w0qj

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 3,481 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationAt your 6 :)

Posted 04 April 2023 - 06:27 PM

A warm welcome to MWO forums!

The KDK-3(C) Champion is with +30% XP bonus! Specifically, KDK-3(C) has no Cbills bonus.
The regular KDK-3 Standard Variant is exactly the same, but without XP and without CBills bonus.

My personal advice is that the KDK-3(C) may not be worth getting (I have this one too).
Your hard earned MC may be better spent on buying your favorite Hero mech instead!

KDK-3 is a brutal assault mech, making its way into the famous Grimmechs Tier List Posted Image
4x AC10 + ERPPC
4x LBX10

4x Gauss
etc. etc. Posted Image

- - - - - - - - - -
If you have played with your KDK-3 standard variant for a long time and really like, there is also the KDK-3(P) from Clan Platinum Collection 03 or Custom Collection also has the KDK-3(P) with +30% CBills bonus, but need to pay with real world money!

This one is worth getting if this is your primary Assault Mech that you wish to play, with CBills bonus!
(Or find someone willing to gift you one!)

Edited by w0qj, 04 April 2023 - 06:29 PM.

#4 Volume

• The Privateer
  • The Privateer
  • 1,097 posts

Posted 05 April 2023 - 03:00 AM

4xgauss is a pretty funny build on the kdk3. pair of uac20s are also an option.

#5 BLACKR0SE

• The Meta
  • The Meta
  • 1,375 posts
  • LocationTurkey/Sivas

Posted 05 April 2023 - 09:34 PM

View PostVolume, on 05 April 2023 - 03:00 AM, said:

4xgauss is a pretty funny build on the kdk3. pair of uac20s are also an option.

I think they are both too slow :)

#6 TheCaptainJZ

• The CyberKnight
  • The CyberKnight
  • 3,664 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 06 April 2023 - 01:18 PM

imo Champion mechs are never worth it. Yes, there's an xp boost but eventually you will have maxed out the mech's xp. There have also been far easier ways to skill up a mech with winning or buying skill points (SP) which is what you really need to level up mechs. Mechs used to be skilled solely with xp but for many years it's been a combination of cbills and xp.

In short, limited usefulness compared to a cbill boost from Hero mechs. Hero mechs also have a unique camo pattern and hardpoints.

#7 w0qj

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 3,481 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationAt your 6 :)

Posted 06 April 2023 - 03:26 PM

In a recent podcast, MWO did say that they might improve the Champions, implying a mix of CBills + XP bonuses.

My own personal guess as below:
Personally I find this intriguing, if it has +20% Cbills bonus and +20% XP bonus, it would be enough for me to go ga ga and splurge my MC on Champions also!

#8 BLACKR0SE

• The Meta
  • The Meta
  • 1,375 posts
  • LocationTurkey/Sivas

Posted 06 April 2023 - 07:53 PM

I have never had a problem with my xp. All machines are self-loading while playing. I don't care at all. easy.
I'm looking at how I can do a lot of damage fast and I'm preparing a combination accordingly. yes fast.

#9 Void Angel

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 6,876 posts
  • LocationParanoiaville

Posted 07 April 2023 - 06:13 PM

View PostTAMTAMBABY, on 06 April 2023 - 07:53 PM, said:

I have never had a problem with my xp. All machines are self-loading while playing. I don't care at all. easy.
I'm looking at how I can do a lot of damage fast and I'm preparing a combination accordingly. yes fast.

On the Kodiak? Dakka, or modified laser vomit (AC/10 instead of Gauss.) But for your money, I wouldn't buy any champion 'mech - unless you need c-bills badly enough to pay money for them. Then buy the Cicada champion and sell it off (better cbills/MC than any of the Cbill deals.) For the same role, try the Blood Asp instead (use either of the chassis with ECM, and swap the pods around.)

The Kodiak - 3 (the dakka variant) was once the Overpowered New Release of the Month. The first 'mech in the game with four ballistic hardpoints in separate torsos, and the tonnage to use them. They used to run quad UAC/10s (before the Heat Scale system, as I remember it.) They were legitimately too strong, and one of the things PGI did to control the variant's power was to nerf its agility - that's why the -3 is so much harder to get your c-bills' worth out of, despite its still-significant firepower.

#10 Ekson Valdez

Volunteer Moderator

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 698 posts

Posted 24 April 2023 - 10:53 PM

This thread was moved to Assault Mech Builds

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users