71 replies to this topic

#61 KingCobra

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Crusader
  • The Crusader
  • 2,726 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 23 April 2023 - 12:03 PM

Just for your entertainment here are mechs most of you have never seen in this video

#62 C337Skymaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 1,450 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 23 April 2023 - 07:31 PM

View PostKingCobra, on 23 April 2023 - 11:45 AM, said:

Hi matt here is a question for you can you make special LGD mechs? like these ones not just a hyped up same old same old mech chassis?
Argus XT Posted Image

Gesu Posted Image

WartHog Posted Image

WildCat Posted Image

Tenchi Posted Image

Talos Posted Image

Unfortunately, that requires artist or designer, or some such skill set which PGI has in very short supply, if at all (usually borrowed from MW5 or other projects when they have a free minute). When they DO have someone with that skillset available, there's a laundry-list of new 'mechs that people want to see added to the game, and to make them "worthwhile" PGI only wants to add full 'mechpacks of 6 'mechs for $70. For these little onesie, twosie packs, they're relying completely on being able to sell the same old 'mechs again and again, by randomizing the hardpoints and seeing what they can come up with.

I still say they were having better luck adding missing variants of existing 'mechs that can't be built in-game, especially in cases where you've got variants A, B, and D, and you can't build variant C. It speaks to the completionist in all of us. :)

#63 KingCobra

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Crusader
  • The Crusader
  • 2,726 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 23 April 2023 - 08:16 PM

View PostC337Skymaster, on 23 April 2023 - 07:31 PM, said:

Unfortunately, that requires artist or designer, or some such skill set which PGI has in very short supply, if at all (usually borrowed from MW5 or other projects when they have a free minute). When they DO have someone with that skillset available, there's a laundry-list of new 'mechs that people want to see added to the game, and to make them "worthwhile" PGI only wants to add full 'mechpacks of 6 'mechs for $70. For these little onesie, twosie packs, they're relying completely on being able to sell the same old 'mechs again and again, by randomizing the hardpoints and seeing what they can come up with.

I still say they were having better luck adding missing variants of existing 'mechs that can't be built in-game, especially in cases where you've got variants A, B, and D, and you can't build variant C. It speaks to the completionist in all of us. Posted Image

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Thats about what I thought but I believed the MoonWalker and Jugernaut were made to fill that aspect you're talking about so I bought them. And a week later they get nerfed which took away all that was special and the reason i bought them in the first place without the 2 extra slots in the MoonWalker it stinks as i can build better loadouts with the other variants I already have and the Juggernaut is to slow and weak all it does is get chewed up now by OP lights.

But I'm sick of the same old mechs dressed up different and really sad new designs are not in the works or TRO mechs that have been left out of the game I already have almost 2-4 of every mech my buddy has them all the poor dude he is a completionism nut and never plays them all anyways.

Edited by KingCobra, 23 April 2023 - 08:18 PM.

#64 The Chancelor

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 160 posts

Posted 23 April 2023 - 10:16 PM

View PostC337Skymaster, on 23 April 2023 - 07:31 PM, said:

Unfortunately, that requires artist or designer, or some such skill set which PGI has in very short supply, if at all (usually borrowed from MW5 or other projects when they have a free minute).

With the release of the new patch, PGI announced that they actually hired a new 3d artist for MWO.

Just saying.

#65 Gas Guzzler

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 14,244 posts
  • LocationCalifornia Central Coast

Posted 24 April 2023 - 01:09 PM

View PostC337Skymaster, on 23 April 2023 - 10:49 AM, said:

This one has 3x energy on the centerline, with the Gauss high-mounted on the side torso. At those kinds of ranges, you don't really need ECM because sensors don't reach that far, anyway. The MAD IIC-D mounts the Gauss in the arms, which are pretty low-slung, and only has a pair of energy hardpoints to accompany them. I was surprised to see one with 4 ERLL, since that forces you to use the low-slung arm hardpoints for at least one of them.

If you use the shoulder mounts you have to use a standard engine, otherwise at least one gauss has to be in the arm. I'm sure 3/4 and dual gauss is a serviceable build, but there are certainly mechs that can do it better.

#66 C337Skymaster

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 1,450 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 24 April 2023 - 02:14 PM

View PostGas Guzzler, on 24 April 2023 - 01:09 PM, said:

If you use the shoulder mounts you have to use a standard engine, otherwise at least one gauss has to be in the arm. I'm sure 3/4 and dual gauss is a serviceable build, but there are certainly mechs that can do it better.

Dire Wolf, for one. That's already become a recent meta on that 'mech. Deathstrike, for another. I'm not saying it can't be done on other 'mechs, I'm saying that: because it's popular on other 'mechs, it'll probably get ported over to the new Marauder. And yes, including the standard engine, hence standing on the spawn area high ground of the new Purple map and shooting into the middle from there.

#67 Mark Yore

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Deadset Legend
  • Deadset Legend
  • 215 posts

Posted 27 April 2023 - 06:36 AM

View PostC337Skymaster, on 21 April 2023 - 07:17 PM, said:

I predicted Gauss ERLL meta before the patch even dropped, and I'm seeing it occasionally. So far, though, the majority of players seem to want to lean into the 4x AC/10 style.

I'm using the 4 LBX10 loadout with 3 artillery strikes (so far). When you chain fire the shotguns there's almost no heat and it just keeps on firing. I did try the 3 LBX20s but it was very much a shoot and peek, even with maximum cooldown. Love to see it with a small cooldown quirk or stealth. You do need to put some agility into it or you won't be able to keep up with backstabbing lights.

#68 Mark Yore

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Deadset Legend
  • Deadset Legend
  • 215 posts

Posted 27 April 2023 - 05:48 PM

View PostMark Yore, on 27 April 2023 - 06:36 AM, said:

I'm using the 4 LBX10 loadout with 3 artillery strikes (so far). When you chain fire the shotguns there's almost no heat and it just keeps on firing. I did try the 3 LBX20s but it was very much a shoot and peek, even with maximum cooldown. Love to see it with a small cooldown quirk or stealth. You do need to put some agility into it or you won't be able to keep up with backstabbing lights.

Updating it now I've completely skilled it out...

Running 2 AC10s in the arms and 2 LBX10s in the right torso with LAMS (has everyone gone LRM crazy?). XL300, FF and Endo for weight and then slightly more AC10 ammo).

Start firing at 600m with the AC10s and open up with the LBX10s at around 400m. Late stage if you're still alive the LBX10s really make a mess of damaged mechs but you want to make sure that everything hits the target. Best of all very little heat so you can put extra into Anchor Turn and Torso skills.

You can skip Coolshot with this build and put everything into the Salvos tree. I'm running 1 UAV and 4 Artillery Strikes - expensive but if you can get a few off quickly into a group of enemies it does send a message.

#69 C337Skymaster

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 1,450 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 28 April 2023 - 03:37 AM

View PostMark Yore, on 27 April 2023 - 05:48 PM, said:

Updating it now I've completely skilled it out...

Running 2 AC10s in the arms and 2 LBX10s in the right torso with LAMS (has everyone gone LRM crazy?). XL300, FF and Endo for weight and then slightly more AC10 ammo).

Start firing at 600m with the AC10s and open up with the LBX10s at around 400m. Late stage if you're still alive the LBX10s really make a mess of damaged mechs but you want to make sure that everything hits the target. Best of all very little heat so you can put extra into Anchor Turn and Torso skills.

You can skip Coolshot with this build and put everything into the Salvos tree. I'm running 1 UAV and 4 Artillery Strikes - expensive but if you can get a few off quickly into a group of enemies it does send a message.

I like the way the MW3 instructor put it when they first introduced coolant flush: "you've only got enough for one, maybe two flushes, so you don't want to rely on it in battle". Even on hot builds, I try to focus on learning heat management rather than relying on temperamental cool shots. :) (Technically, those are supposed to be 1 ton 1 crit equipment, anyway).

Otherwise, you, my friend, have discovered the miracle that is the LBX autocannon system. In actual practice (which PGI was never able to figure out how to simulate, even though it sounds like Modders have it working in MW5 with a simple "Ctrl+[Weapon Group]), an LBX autocannon is able to switch between solid shot (your standard AC rounds), and cluster shot (in-game LBX rounds). You can thus use the same gun to fire those early-game solid rounds for busting through armor, and then switch late-game to cluster rounds for destroying internal components.

As for LRM spam, that's always popular. At the moment, PGI restarted their Lucky Charms event, which relies on match score. Match Score mostly relies on Damage Dealt, and LRMs deal the maximum amount of damage for minimum risk (including minimum risk of killing your opponent before you can farm the maximum amount of damage from them).

#70 Lepestok

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,025 posts
  • LocationNizhniy Tagil

Posted 28 April 2023 - 07:59 AM

I bought Scattershot. I say... this is pay-to-win. Nerf him

#71 Roodkapje

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 577 posts

Posted 01 May 2023 - 10:22 AM

View PostC337Skymaster, on 23 April 2023 - 10:49 AM, said:

The newest 'mech always looks populous because those who've bought one need to level it up. Makes it hard to compare over long periods of time, because once leveling is finished, the 'mech often disappears into the hangar, never to be seen again.

I am talking about the weeks after the mech(s) has(/have) been released ofcourse, not just the last month or so Posted Image

Especially the Hatchetman was almost nowhere to be seen compared to these LGD mechs !!!

View PostKingCobra, on 23 April 2023 - 11:45 AM, said:

Hi matt here is a question for you can you make special LGD mechs?

Like these ones not just a hyped up same old same old mech chassis?
Argus XT Posted Image

I like that one! Warhawk ER PPC done right! Posted Image

(Yes, I get the fact it's not a Clan Assault mech, but just saying...)

View PostC337Skymaster, on 28 April 2023 - 03:37 AM, said:

Otherwise, you, my friend, have discovered the miracle that is the LBX autocannon system.

In actual practice (which PGI was never able to figure out how to simulate, even though it sounds like Modders have it working in MW5 with a simple "Ctrl+[Weapon Group]), an LBX autocannon is able to switch between solid shot (your standard AC rounds), and cluster shot (in-game LBX rounds). You can thus use the same gun to fire those early-game solid rounds for busting through armor, and then switch late-game to cluster rounds for destroying internal components.

DAMN!!! I want that stuff! Like... YESTERDAY!!! Posted Image

As for LRM spam, that's always popular.

Sadly... Posted Image

At the moment, PGI restarted their Lucky Charms event, which relies on match score. Match Score mostly relies on Damage Dealt, and LRMs deal the maximum amount of damage for minimum risk (including minimum risk of killing your opponent before you can farm the maximum amount of damage from them).

IMHO a good Clan Laser SPAMmer or any good DAKKA mech is a lot easier for that purpose, but n00bs will be n00bs ofcourse! Posted Image

View PostLepestok, on 28 April 2023 - 07:59 AM, said:

I bought Scattershot. I say... this is pay-to-win. Nerf him

Almost all Shadowhawks are simply good mechs so you can't go wrong with it! Posted Image

It's basically a Medium mech that can do easily more than 500 of damage towards the 800+ numbers if you don't suck and can aim properly! Posted Image

#72 C337Skymaster

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 1,450 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 01 May 2023 - 07:26 PM

View PostRoodkapje, on 01 May 2023 - 10:22 AM, said:

I am talking about the weeks after the mech(s) has(/have) been released ofcourse, not just the last month or so Posted Image

Especially the Hatchetman was almost nowhere to be seen compared to these LGD mechs !!!

I mean, the Hatchetman was nowhere to be seen compared to everything that came before it. Despite all the hype, buffing, pitching, and begging, it still wasn't lost on 90% of the current player base that the Hatchetman's claim to fame is the hatchet, and in MWO that piece of equipment is decorative, and completely non-functional. There's not really any amount of buffing or rebuilding PGI could do to get over that particular failing. But as the Hatchetman was added for free revenue, since they already made it for MW5, each individual sale is a win for that one.

DAMN!!! I want that stuff! Like... YESTERDAY!!! Posted Image

You ain't the only one. Posted Image There's concern out there that, if you gave the Inner Sphere LBX/10 with solid shot, it would completely invalidate the AC/10, and the concern is perfectly valid: 1 ton and 1 crit smaller for the same damage and same projectile. Who wouldn't? The draw there would be special ammunition for the AC/10: Inferno Ammo, Armor Piercing Rounds, etc. Not sure how Precision ammo could be incorporated, but the rest of it can only be fired from a standard autocannon, and would be the reason to take one. Needs to be consumable, though: the main downside to specialized ammo like that is that it costs twice as much. If you buy it once and it's free after that, then there's no downside to fancy ammo, and standard shot will start getting left behind.

IMHO a good Clan Laser SPAMmer or any good DAKKA mech is a lot easier for that purpose, but n00bs will be n00bs ofcourse! Posted Image

The difference being: lasers have to weather return fire while they're dishing out, which can be rather nerve wracking, while LRMs can dish out from the safety of a low depression.

Edited by C337Skymaster, 01 May 2023 - 07:27 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users