What Do We Have To Buy To Get A Good Anti-Cheat System?

121 replies to this topic

#61 Tromoskyon Rex

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Guillotine
  • Guillotine
  • 243 posts
  • LocationInner Sphere

Posted 16 May 2023 - 05:53 PM

View PostMeep Meep, on 16 May 2023 - 01:09 PM, said:

Same with er large vomit. I can tell when a human is aiming even one with very good aim because the beam will waver if only just a tiny bit as it tracks you. Yet same flea going full out gets ct cored ~perfectly~ with the beam locked onto the mech. Not a drop of laser wash. Those are the two I have the most experience with in the average pub match ~after~ I break into tier 2.

Probably the only time Ive ever been sus while spectating someone was with ER LL on Frozen City. I forget the name but it was something Sniper and the dude didn't miss a single bit of a single laser. It looked smooth enough in the control that ultimately I felt confident it was just someone with VERY smooth mouse control (after all, people pull off good shots with much more difficult to control weapons in other games all the time) but it never really felt *right* when spectating the guy.

Again though, completely anecdotal and could just be my lack of skill making me not appreciate the guy's aiming skill. The gap between low/mid tier is apparent enough, bring in top tier 1 players and it is a different game entirely. After all, my mid tier *** with an average accuracy of like 60% gets accused all the time for shooting fellow turret warriors, who is to say Im not doing the same nonsense in that instance too?

#62 kalashnikity

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 618 posts

Posted 16 May 2023 - 08:35 PM

I've never seen anything that made me think someone was cheating, literally nothing.

If you want to really cheat, start talking to your team mates.... it's like a super power in this game.

I feel sorry for people who cheat at PVP games, it's sad and pathetic, really. And I feel almost as sorry for people who constantly worry that they just died because someone cheated.

The actual part of pulling the trigger and getting the bullet to hit the enemy is such a small part of this game.

Why and why not?

I've heard of some banned mods, but even those wouldn't break the game, at best maybe help you about half of a tier up.

I can't imagine any cheat that is big enough of an advantage to override all the other things that go into this game.

Building a mech properly, positioning and repositioning, communication, and overall strategy, and playing to the strengths of your mech/build are far more critical, if you don't do all that right there is no cheat that is going to magically make you Tier1.

#63 Meep Meep

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,908 posts
  • LocationBehind You

Posted 16 May 2023 - 10:11 PM

Well thats a nice post but sadly an easy internet search will show you all you need to know about cheating in mwo. It's there. As to how much of it is happening can be up for debate but there isn't any doubt that cheats do exist and they are used in daily play by some users.

#64 Tromoskyon Rex

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Guillotine
  • Guillotine
  • 243 posts
  • LocationInner Sphere

Posted 17 May 2023 - 02:35 AM

View PostHaipyng, on 15 May 2023 - 08:24 AM, said:

Some relatively recent polling shows 57% of players admit to having used cheats. I do not believe MWO suffers from rampant cheating at all and their effects are limited, but they do make some difference.

Completely missed this earlier. Where in the world was this poll that the MAJORITY of players cheat?

View PostHaipyng, on 15 May 2023 - 08:24 AM, said:

I do think it is at a higher level than ever and it is disturbing that folks looking to learn how to develop cheats think MWO is a great place to do it. That is just plain sad and likely why its rare to see a new game come out without some sort of anti-cheat engine paired to it. All I am saying it would be an improvement to tone down the cheat accusations and add legitimacy to good players.

Out of curiosity I looked up this post that keeps getting referenced. Are yall really this hot and heavy over a single post from multiple years ago that has 3 comments on it? I have to admit that Im baffled there isn't any AC in the game at all (didn't know that until this post but it explains why sound mods are possible to use) but what in the world is going on in your matches that makes you think droves of amateur hackers are developing their cheats to play against you?

Edit - I should add that I do agree that some level of AC should be in literally any and all multiplayer games. That said, the possibility of it ever being implemented in a 10 year old game with a negligible player base is about 0, which is why my comments are 'off topic'; because the topic is next to pointless.

Edited by Orion_, 17 May 2023 - 02:37 AM.

#65 epikt

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 1,455 posts

Posted 17 May 2023 - 03:51 AM

View PostOrion_, on 17 May 2023 - 02:35 AM, said:

Some relatively recent polling shows 57% of players admit to having used cheats. I do not believe MWO suffers from rampant cheating at all and their effects are limited, but they do make some difference.

Completely missed this earlier. Where in the world was this poll that the MAJORITY of players cheat?

If it's the study I'm thinking about, this high percentage of cheaters includes cheating in single player games. More clickbait than anything imho.

#66 PocketYoda

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,138 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 17 May 2023 - 04:24 AM

View Postkalashnikity, on 16 May 2023 - 08:35 PM, said:

I've never seen anything that made me think someone was cheating, literally nothing.

If you want to really cheat, start talking to your team mates.... it's like a super power in this game.

I feel sorry for people who cheat at PVP games, it's sad and pathetic, really. And I feel almost as sorry for people who constantly worry that they just died because someone cheated.

The actual part of pulling the trigger and getting the bullet to hit the enemy is such a small part of this game.

Why and why not?

I've heard of some banned mods, but even those wouldn't break the game, at best maybe help you about half of a tier up.

I can't imagine any cheat that is big enough of an advantage to override all the other things that go into this game.

Building a mech properly, positioning and repositioning, communication, and overall strategy, and playing to the strengths of your mech/build are far more critical, if you don't do all that right there is no cheat that is going to magically make you Tier1.

I had a match a year or so ago where nearly the whole team was headshotted.. from crazy areas as well. We couldn't report them either as they logged out and for some reason the report wont work if the player is gone.. The stuff i've seen...

#67 Tromoskyon Rex

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Guillotine
  • Guillotine
  • 243 posts
  • LocationInner Sphere

Posted 17 May 2023 - 04:49 AM

View Postepikt, on 17 May 2023 - 03:51 AM, said:

If it's the study I'm thinking about, this high percentage of cheaters includes cheating in single player games. More clickbait than anything imho.

BRUH. I thought it was for THIS game. People mod Fallout and Skyrim therefore nearly 60% of all gamers ever are hackers.... Posted Image

View PostPocketYoda, on 17 May 2023 - 04:24 AM, said:

I had a match a year or so ago where nearly the whole team was headshotted.. from crazy areas as well. We couldn't report them either as they logged out and for some reason the report wont work if the player is gone.. The stuff i've seen...

Life goals. Honestly impressed to find out something can be made to target specific components, idk why Id just assume it was for CT or something. As much as I hate to agree, an entire team is next to impossible unless they're all AFK and even then it would be wild.

#68 Haipyng

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Grizzly
  • The Grizzly
  • 593 posts
  • LocationIn Transit

Posted 17 May 2023 - 07:46 AM

As I said elsewhere its an informal poll, not MWO specific, not online specific. It just struck me that such a high percentage of players would want to cheat when the doubters keep saying it doesn't happen in MWO. I can't fathom the purpose to it. I also linked to a Guardian article as to why people cheat for insight. There is plenty of information about the prevalence of it occurring in news articles all over the web, why would it not in MWO?

Out of curiosity I looked up this post that keeps getting referenced. Are yall really this hot and heavy over a single post from multiple years ago that has 3 comments on it? I have to admit that Im baffled there isn't any AC in the game at all (didn't know that until this post but it explains why sound mods are possible to use) but what in the world is going on in your matches that makes you think droves of amateur hackers are developing their cheats to play against you?

Edit - I should add that I do agree that some level of AC should be in literally any and all multiplayer games. That said, the possibility of it ever being implemented in a 10 year old game with a negligible player base is about 0, which is why my comments are 'off topic'; because the topic is next to pointless.

There are also plenty of paid developed ones that can be bought, besides the post for making your own. Most forums for developing these things are private for obvious reasons. I never said it was droves. I don't think that at all, as I have said multiple times elsewhere in this thread. You are doing a lot of projecting.

I can't think of a single contemporary multiplayer title with a PVP component I have picked up recently that hasn't had an Anti-Cheat engine with it. I already have multiple anti-cheat engines installed as a result, just none have been configured to work with MWO. When you have something like Easy Anti-Cheat (and I am not advocating for any engine in particular) it isn't multiple copies that get installed for each game, It only installs once on the first game that has it. All others just make use of the engine if it is already there.

I agree it may very well not go anywhere. It is an old game, but PGI does surprise us sometimes. Looking at the Steam stats the player base as been remarkably consistent in the last 5 years, if low. Those are people that are big fans of the IP and they stick with it. MWO is not a bad game or it would never have gone on for 12 years. PGIs heavy focus on being an E-Sports game never took off. Players didn't seem to like any version of faction warfare and as it's been born out, there was competitive cheating. There went the game's credibility for e-sports, but I don't think its why the e-sports aspect never took off.

Simply put, cheats in MWO were previously by design or accident swept quietly under the rug. The forums quietly scrubbed of any mention of the word which is exactly the opposite of the rest of the gaming world. Its a wise policy to ban accusations, advertising cheats, etc, but making like they don't exist in the game is silly and a bit insulting. It simply plays right into cheaters hands and I am sure some white knighters and gas-lighters on the subject are more concerned that PGI might actually do something about it if there was enough interest. I'm not a developer, I don't know what it takes to add anti-cheat engine hooks into the game or how much configuration it takes. MWO could do with a boost of credibility and it would be great to have an A/C engine in place to be able to point to with a wall of shame and respond to the next accusation of cheating with. "Maybe, but..." and leave it at that. It shows they take it seriously at least and it is vast improvement over the wall of silence.

You may think the topic is pointless. Others don't, that is the way the world works. All of your comments deemed off topic were the direct result of a thinly veiled personal attack on the player, alluding to the common phrase and counter argument "git gud", and not the actual topic of the post. It was off topic and I am sure just meant to be insulting. For a fellow that finds it pointless, you do spend a great deal of time on it.

Edited by Haipyng, 17 May 2023 - 07:51 AM.

#69 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 17,076 posts

Posted 17 May 2023 - 06:08 PM

the whole g0at vs tarkov shenanegans from a couple month ago were pretty interesting.

especially when the cheat developers hacked his computer and cooked his ssds.

i figure cheaters have enough money to buy skill, re-purchase content when they get banned and buy replacement hardware when they do something the cheat devs don't like. not to mention willfully giving known hackers unfettered access to their pc. i mean thats money you could have used to enhance your game with booze or weed without the gaping security hole.

and of course this is a thing you often find talked about at game-dev conferences. they wouldn't waste time on it if it wasn't happening.

Edited by LordNothing, 17 May 2023 - 06:19 PM.

#70 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 17,076 posts

Posted 17 May 2023 - 06:32 PM

View PostOrion_, on 17 May 2023 - 04:49 AM, said:

BRUH. I thought it was for THIS game. People mod Fallout and Skyrim therefore nearly 60% of all gamers ever are hackers.... Posted Image

Life goals. Honestly impressed to find out something can be made to target specific components, idk why Id just assume it was for CT or something. As much as I hate to agree, an entire team is next to impossible unless they're all AFK and even then it would be wild.

mathematically its possible to put the round on any hitbox with perfect accuracy. its hit detection in reverse more or less (significantly easier as you are just putting the center of the hitbox into screen space and chasing the point). i wouldn't doubt the cheat software puts that at a premium tier. of course perfect accuracy is easy to detect and wouldn't survive any serious data analysis. you could inject random noise into it but it turns out that is also easy to detect (this is how people have been able to determine minecraft seeds from screenshots or find hidden bases in anarchy).

i like to look people up on jarls and see how old their accounts are if they are performing too well. of course it might just be a high level player doing a stats scrub trying to rank. so its nothing definitive. but it does seem fishy.

Edited by LordNothing, 17 May 2023 - 06:40 PM.

#71 Tromoskyon Rex

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Guillotine
  • Guillotine
  • 243 posts
  • LocationInner Sphere

Posted 17 May 2023 - 08:04 PM

View PostLordNothing, on 17 May 2023 - 06:32 PM, said:

(this is how people have been able to determine minecraft seeds from screenshots or find hidden bases in anarchy).

*4Chan hunting Shia LeBeouf intensifies*

View PostLordNothing, on 17 May 2023 - 06:32 PM, said:

i like to look people up on jarls and see how old their accounts are if they are performing too well. of course it might just be a high level player doing a stats scrub trying to rank. so its nothing definitive. but it does seem fishy.

Name changes can also make an account look new on Jarls. On the MWO leaderboards it will pull them up by their old username when searching the new one if you go back to previous seasons though.

IE Orion_ will pull up Galm Razgriz if you go back to season 72 iirc.

#72 Haipyng

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Grizzly
  • The Grizzly
  • 593 posts
  • LocationIn Transit

Posted 18 May 2023 - 04:50 AM

View PostLordNothing, on 17 May 2023 - 06:08 PM, said:

the whole g0at vs tarkov shenanegans from a couple month ago were pretty interesting.

especially when the cheat developers hacked his computer and cooked his ssds.

i figure cheaters have enough money to buy skill, re-purchase content when they get banned and buy replacement hardware when they do something the cheat devs don't like. not to mention willfully giving known hackers unfettered access to their pc. i mean thats money you could have used to enhance your game with booze or weed without the gaping security hole.

and of course this is a thing you often find talked about at game-dev conferences. they wouldn't waste time on it if it wasn't happening.

Great point, who the heck knows what you are getting when you install a cheat. If the cheat makers have so little sense of ethics that they are willing to stoop to cheating in a game, who knows what else they are putting in there. The few Instances we know of in MWO have run along units or known friends. Just because you got it from a friend doesn't mean it is safe.

Edited by Haipyng, 18 May 2023 - 04:57 AM.

#73 Haipyng

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Grizzly
  • The Grizzly
  • 593 posts
  • LocationIn Transit

Posted 18 May 2023 - 04:54 AM

View PostPocketYoda, on 17 May 2023 - 04:24 AM, said:

I didn't know the report wouldn't work if they dropped. That is a painfully obvious version of cheating. I've never seen that level.

#74 PocketYoda

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,138 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 19 May 2023 - 08:29 PM

View PostHaipyng, on 18 May 2023 - 04:54 AM, said:

I didn't know the report wouldn't work if they dropped. That is a painfully obvious version of cheating. I've never seen that level.

It doesn't happen very often thank god.. We had groups of idiots dropping in Kodiaks with 4x ac20s killing teammates at drop in for a while as well for ages one Christmas..

#75 Mechwarrior2342356

• 2,130 posts

Posted 19 May 2023 - 09:29 PM

View PostPocketYoda, on 19 May 2023 - 08:29 PM, said:

It doesn't happen very often thank god.. We had groups of idiots dropping in Kodiaks with 4x ac20s killing teammates at drop in for a while as well for ages one Christmas..

? You can't mount 4 AC20s on any Kodiak.

#76 -XenoBeast-

• Pip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 12 posts

Posted 01 August 2023 - 03:22 AM

I wish there was an anti cheat system for this game, because lots of people accuse tier 1 players being "cheaters" for having actual aim or even for a lucky shot...
I'm being accused of cheating on every game by [Redacted] because he has a video "proving it", I saw that video and does not prove anything, every skilled player can do that with his aim.
If anyone see that video, just keep in mind the arms are unlocked and when using jump jets the aim got screwed up few times when firing the arm mounted ER large lasers, I encourage everyone to prove it on an Arctic Cheetah A, set of 8, with 2 arm mounted ERLL.
It's been a month of false accusations by this guy and it's ruining my gaming experience.
Honestly, I find ridiculous the people who use cheats in any game, I personally would buy a pack including anti-cheat system for sure, just to have fun like I had before.

Edited by GM Patience, 08 August 2023 - 12:36 PM.
name and shame

#77 Meep Meep

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,908 posts
  • LocationBehind You

Posted 01 August 2023 - 05:08 AM

I got accused of hax when I headshot two mechs in a row that were death staring at me between alphas. So I just let them fire and calmly headshot them. Mucho salt because both were fresh assaults. Posted Image

But I agree. An anti cheat system would be welcome because there is cheating. I suspect the one that allows for targeting of components is the most popular because I have had a large spike recently in getting insta legged as soon as exposing at full masc zag tilt at pretty much any range. I keep a list of them and its the same handful of players so I spectate them and record when in a match if possible. No name and shame but 99% of them are faceless alts with no unit or forum history and insanely good jarls.

#78 Nine-Ball

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 657 posts

Posted 01 August 2023 - 07:20 AM

View PostMeep Meep, on 16 May 2023 - 10:11 PM, said:

Well thats a nice post but sadly an easy internet search will show you all you need to know about cheating in mwo. It's there. As to how much of it is happening can be up for debate but there isn't any doubt that cheats do exist and they are used in daily play by some users.

Would you happen to know where they are?

Asking for a friend.. -_-

#79 Mechwarrior2342356

• 2,130 posts

Posted 01 August 2023 - 09:00 AM

"Cheating is a very minor problem in MWO, practiced only by a minority."

Okay. How minor? A minority? So you have numbers.

Every time I hear it's not a big deal I feel obliged to ask them to quantify "big".

Edited by the check engine light, 01 August 2023 - 09:01 AM.

#80 Ihlrath

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wild Dog
  • Wild Dog
  • 373 posts

Posted 01 August 2023 - 09:17 AM

View Postthe check engine light, on 01 August 2023 - 09:00 AM, said:

"Cheating is a very minor problem in MWO, practiced only by a minority."

Okay. How minor? A minority? So you have numbers.

Every time I hear it's not a big deal I feel obliged to ask them to quantify "big".

Exactly this.

For those asking 'what online poll' there are multiple. It takes four seconds to google it and those saying 'it's not a big deal', to me are probably the ones cheating. TTB, Sean Lang, Scout Derek and other streamers have ALL put up videos in recent months of what they suspect to be aimboting.

Most online studies (again you can look these up in 4 seconds) in recent years have shown on average about 1/3 of FPS PVP gamers use a cheat. I.E. Wall hacks (the ability to see and track enemies through objects), Aimbots/Aim Assist, switch laggers (ever seen someone just lagging around and rubber banding but seemingly able to take you apart with no issue?) and those are just the most popular three.

Do I think cheating in MWO is to that extent? I'm not sure, up until recently I would have said no but the impossibly fast skill increase of the average player just seeming to pop up over night about two months ago makes me question things. The fact that we can't get any answers other then 'lulz git gud nub' is frustrating as this can affect people's enjoyment of the game.

To say there is no cheating going on in MWO is either naïve or purposeful dishonesty, which my sense of things is generally the second. As Meep stated earlier there's just impossible shots with not even a slight wavering happening far, far too often. There's also a ridiculous amount of people that just seem to know where you are no matter what at any given moment, even in a stealth mech behind cover.

Anti-Cheat software is easy to get their hands on and easy to implement and not that expensive. My only guess on why they don't implement it is because PGI doesn't want to lose the cheaters and the possibly revenue stream they represent, which sucks for the rest of us.

It is what it is.

53 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 53 guests, 0 anonymous users