Vanilla Mech Challenge (Can No Skillpoint And/or Minimally-Quirked Mechs Be Fun To Play?)

15 replies to this topic

#1 ShrapNelRP

• Pip
  • Philanthropist
  • 15 posts

Posted 21 May 2023 - 09:56 PM

Just for fun, our team decided to start playing some mechs without skillpoints, and preferably, those mechs with as few quirks as possible. We termed those mechs "vanilla" builds.

We know the skilltree and quirk system is necessary to even out the playing field, as not all Battletech designs translate well to a first-person shooter PVP environment. But we just wanted to try something new, and perhaps bring back a little of the Mechwarrior standalone game experience, where you just changed the loadouts without thinking about a skilltree or quirks.

Here's episode 1 of our journey:

#2 Saved By The Bell

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 712 posts
  • LocationJapan

Posted 22 May 2023 - 12:02 AM

Baradul played without armor in sweet potato past.

Edited by Saved By The Bell, 22 May 2023 - 12:02 AM.

#3 kalashnikity

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 618 posts

Posted 22 May 2023 - 01:19 PM

I ran a stock Kit Fox S for a few days, it was challenging but fun.

#4 kalashnikity

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 618 posts

Posted 22 May 2023 - 01:35 PM

View PostSaved By The Bell, on 22 May 2023 - 12:02 AM, said:

Baradul played without armor in sweet potato past.

I saw someone play a Kit Fox 2xERPPC a few times, with no armor (they put it all in heat sinks), it did really well- they stayed in the back and kept up a high rate of fire.

I have an Arctic Cheater with ecm and 2xERPPC, almost no armor (put about 6 in each leg, for jump damage), I built it to meme but was shocked when I found out how well it did despite how hot it is.

#5 ShrapNelRP

• Pip
  • Philanthropist
  • 15 posts

Posted 25 May 2023 - 04:44 PM

The Hatchetman 5K in Vanilla mode:

#6 ShrapNelRP

• Pip
  • Philanthropist
  • 15 posts

Posted 02 June 2023 - 10:38 PM

Mad Dog, MDD-C in vanilla mode:

#7 Mechwarrior2342356

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,130 posts

Posted 02 June 2023 - 10:41 PM

View PostShrapNelRP, on 02 June 2023 - 10:38 PM, said:

Mad Dog, MDD-C in vanilla mode:

...Isn't the MDD-C kind of gigaquirked with stock pods?

E: oh not as severely as I thought. Huh.

Edited by the check engine light, 02 June 2023 - 11:05 PM.

#8 sycocys

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 7,600 posts

Posted 03 June 2023 - 09:55 AM

The skill tree or former pilot skills is and has always been nothing about balance in any form. The only thing it's every really accomplished is to make newly purchase mechs and put new(er) players at a disadvantage and a tiny amount of c-bill/mc sink.

#9 Mechwarrior2342356

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,130 posts

Posted 03 June 2023 - 10:13 AM

View Postsycocys, on 03 June 2023 - 09:55 AM, said:

The skill tree or former pilot skills is and has always been nothing about balance in any form. The only thing it's every really accomplished is to make newly purchase mechs and put new(er) players at a disadvantage and a tiny amount of c-bill/mc sink.

It's very treadmill-y and most chasses are specialized not via skill tree but via whatever they can run well regardless of skill tree. Skill tree is just a "do thing you already do but moar better" mechanism that creates grind and noticeable disparity.

I'd say barring some chasses that simply haven't been poked at as much for whatever reason, the presence of strong quirks or quirks at all points to chassis deficiency, and a minimally or zero-quirked chassis is probably crazy good out of box due to hardpoints, hitboxes, etc.

Edited by the check engine light, 03 June 2023 - 10:15 AM.

#10 foamyesque

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 736 posts

Posted 03 June 2023 - 10:30 AM

View Postthe check engine light, on 03 June 2023 - 10:13 AM, said:

I'd say barring some chasses that simply haven't been poked at as much for whatever reason, the presence of strong quirks or quirks at all points to chassis deficiency, and a minimally or zero-quirked chassis is probably crazy good out of box due to hardpoints, hitboxes, etc.

Generally, although sometimes the quirks are there to facilitate a sort of 'intended to be good at this role' thing, like the Catapult or Archer missile quirks.

#11 ShrapNelRP

• Pip
  • Philanthropist
  • 15 posts

Posted 07 June 2023 - 09:58 PM

Warhammer Black Widow in vanilla mode:

#12 ShrapNelRP

• Pip
  • Philanthropist
  • 15 posts

Posted 12 June 2023 - 04:24 PM

Cougar, COU-H in vanilla mode:

#13 1Exitar1

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 253 posts
  • LocationSomewhere in the Milkyway Galaxy

Posted 18 June 2023 - 11:52 PM

Juan Toomeny does a video series on using stock mechs called the Ultimate Challenge series. Check it out: https://www.youtube....aming/playlists

#14 Tywren

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 276 posts

Posted 19 June 2023 - 01:00 AM

I wouldn't mind seeing a weekend event where whatever mech you bring, you get the stock version, instead if your tricked out custom uber-meta build. It might be fun to see mechs how they were initially made to play.

#15 ShrapNelRP

• Pip
  • Philanthropist
  • 15 posts

Posted 24 July 2023 - 03:15 PM

Crusader 6T in vanilla mode:

View Post1Exitar1, on 18 June 2023 - 11:52 PM, said:

Juan Toomeny does a video series on using stock mechs called the Ultimate Challenge series. Check it out: https://www.youtube....aming/playlists

TTB and Baradul did something similar before. But I think most are in agreement that stock builds aren't that good. So we decided to try something different, using an "optimal build" but without being skewed by skill points.

#16 sq4me2

Rookie

• The Aggressor
  • 2 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationCALIFONIA

Posted 10 August 2023 - 04:57 PM

I did this with the ambush and had a great match.
https://youtu.be/9K7tPxrqYjU

16 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 16 guests, 0 anonymous users