Um...is The Matchmaker Turned On?

26 replies to this topic

#1 An6ryMan69

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 482 posts

Posted 29 June 2023 - 08:11 PM

Not trying to be negative but I know I'm not the only one finding QP to be just a hot mess lately. Is there some testing going on, or the matchmaker turned off and we're not aware of it? Seems like more than just a couple of crazy nights so to speak.

#2 w0qj

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Territorial
  • The Territorial
  • 3,447 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationAt your 6 :)

Posted 29 June 2023 - 08:21 PM

Everytime it's start of an Event,
~occasional players come out of MWO hibernation to play erratically,
~a number of good players also come out, try to complete some of the Events within the first few days

Hence what you see...

(At least we don't have any LRM-fest, because there was "no" missile damage done accolade to work on...)

#3 An6ryMan69

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 482 posts

Posted 29 June 2023 - 08:25 PM

I had been considering that, I am normally used to a few days of silly and then some sanity returning, it just seems much longer and worse. The major loot bag even may indeed explain it all, however.

#4 Mechwarrior2342356

• 2,128 posts

Posted 30 June 2023 - 05:18 AM

MM quality has felt goofy as **** for a while with the event possibly exacerbating the issue.

#5 Duke Falcon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Nova Captain
  • Nova Captain
  • 891 posts
  • LocationHungary

Posted 30 June 2023 - 11:37 AM

No no!
MM is perfect! That how it were said by our Ur-quan... sorry, PGI overlordz!
It find ye matches? Kinda...
Set ye aflame? Sorta...
Is it... Absolutely!

MM IZ perfect!

< now gimme me mah promised free Howl, PGI! >
WHAT?!
No no! There iz no suchz stuffz like free Howl, nah-nah! So sayeth by our MM-godz!

MM IZ SO PURRFECT!!!

#6 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,827 posts

Posted 30 June 2023 - 11:47 AM

the days where its stomp after stomp after stomp, the mm is either drunk, unconscious, or dead.

other days its better, at peak hours you might get an actual functional match maker.

#7 Duke Falcon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Nova Captain
  • Nova Captain
  • 891 posts
  • LocationHungary

Posted 30 June 2023 - 11:52 AM

View PostLordNothing, on 30 June 2023 - 11:47 AM, said:

the days where its stomp after stomp after stomp, the mm is either drunk, unconscious, or dead.

other days its better, at peak hours you might get an actual functional match maker.

:)
Sure thing!

The best when not only the MM is drunk, unconscious, or (brain)dead but many of the players in the match...

#8 pbiggz

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,684 posts
  • LocationOutreach

Posted 30 June 2023 - 12:00 PM

Its worth noting that i bet most of your stomps aren't really stomps. The game does not present performance in an adequate way; if you had a bar for each team showing how much armor they had left across the entire team, I'd be willing to bet even the 12-2-ish stomps have relatively even damage numbers, one team just wasn't as good at getting kills, and kills are all that matter in this game.

#9 LordNothing

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,827 posts

Posted 30 June 2023 - 12:00 PM

View Postthe check engine light, on 30 June 2023 - 05:18 AM, said:

MM quality has felt goofy as **** for a while with the event possibly exacerbating the issue.

people behave differently when there is an event. i guess they are trying to shorten the grind but end up making it worse for themselves and everyone else involved. if people would just play normally everyone would finish the event faster.

the other phenomena is events bring out the more irregular players who will only do the high value events and play other games most of the time.

you also get farming but thats a product of people playing less than their best.

#10 w0qj

• The Territorial
  • The Territorial
  • 3,447 posts

Posted 30 June 2023 - 12:19 PM

Err... just a heads-up... we now have another currently running Event about to happen:

Patriotic Long Weekend Event
https://mwomercs.com/events/530

Please note that I am not complaining... and I am not complaining! ;) :) ;)

#11 LordNothing

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,827 posts

Posted 30 June 2023 - 04:14 PM

ooh i can score an x5 at half price.

#12 Meep Meep

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,776 posts
  • LocationBehind You

Posted 30 June 2023 - 04:25 PM

I was regularly playing before the patch and event and gameplay was more or less normal. Afterwards it nosedived into the dirt and burrowed straight to the seventh level of hell.

Yeah its that bad right now and its bad across all tiers.

edit: case in point I kept getting two king crabs in my matches that would either walk entirely around the map doing nothing or yolo in and die with little to no damage. We reported them over and over but they kept showing up.

Edited by Meep Meep, 30 June 2023 - 04:27 PM.

#13 w0qj

• The Territorial
  • The Territorial
  • 3,447 posts

Posted 30 June 2023 - 05:47 PM

Cicada CDA-X5 now 50% Off at ingame store!
Until the end of this Patriotic Weekend Event apparently (5 days from this posting)

Thank you MWO for listening! :)

View PostLordNothing, on 30 June 2023 - 04:14 PM, said:

ooh i can score an x5 at half price.

#14 PocketYoda

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,137 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 30 June 2023 - 08:22 PM

The matchmaker needs players to match.. if it has none it uses whats left i assume.. tiers are some what meaningless these days it seems.

Edited by PocketYoda, 30 June 2023 - 08:23 PM.

#15 sycocys

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 7,600 posts

Posted 01 July 2023 - 08:55 AM

I don't know if its open, or just a huge influx of returning/reset players or what but matches last night were about instant, seemed like I was mixing down instead of the normal 2/1 mixes more often than not.

Most matches were high damage and a few low damage ones where win or lose psr would still go up - like 230 damage, no kills and lose and still go up weirdness. So either the gates were open or there has just been a crazy flood of returning players and they just stuff us solo drops wherever.

#16 Saved By The Bell

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 674 posts
  • LocationJapan

Posted 01 July 2023 - 10:45 AM

How much time does it take to reset Tier of nonactive player?

#17 LordNothing

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,827 posts

Posted 01 July 2023 - 12:18 PM

i dont think psr moves at all on its own. you have to play matches to change it. though there might be situations where you want to accelerate tier movement via a multiplier, like with new players finding their starting tier for example. maybe they should also do that when players have been inactive for a long time. but how long is too long? i get rusty after taking as little as a week away from the game. people who do only the monthly free mech event might bad when they come back and people who only do lootbag events are even rustier. perhaps after 3 months accelerate psr for 20 or so games. but it seems like a lot of work to fix a minor problem. im just happy they are playing the game.

#18 Meep Meep

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,776 posts
  • LocationBehind You

Posted 01 July 2023 - 12:51 PM

You seem to lose psr far easier than gaining it so coming back rusty will be dropping you back fairly fast especially if you were in the higher tiers. Many of those are daily players some with a long session each day so they are on the top of their game. A tier 1 that took half a year is going to find it quite hard to compete with that till they blow off the rust and will probably quickly drop a tier or two.

#19 Ashvins

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 174 posts

Posted 01 July 2023 - 01:01 PM

MM is a hot mess, ALWAYS !

I returned after a LONG break, took a little to start getting my skills back so ended up down in T5. Down at T5 it is impossible to solo play to T4, you have to be in a unit and have at least a few other component players because win's count more for advancing Tier than anything else. You can do 500+ dmg in every match you play but without a win you do not advance much if any.

Add in the Event warriors in addition to the typical T5 tards and it's just horrendous. I really don't know what PGI can do to make it any better.

#20 Mechwarrior2342356

• 2,128 posts

Posted 01 July 2023 - 01:29 PM

No MM will fix ********. You know, the ones who see you corner hopping and are so damn interested in whatever you're shooting at, but also want to use you as a meatshield, that they'll block your egress. Or the ones who wordlessly shrink away from your position and scuttle to the nearest hiding spot the moment they see more than one enemy. Or the ones who make a Help call and when it's responded to promptly run away to use you as a speedbump.

Edited by the check engine light, 01 July 2023 - 01:53 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users