79 replies to this topic

#41 Vonbach

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 696 posts

Posted 27 July 2023 - 04:33 PM

View Postthe check engine light, on 27 July 2023 - 04:26 PM, said:

Thermal is just utterly useless. You can't see the terrain, so you can't tell that there IS a mech back there and it's a hill obscuring it. NV is alright out to about midrange, at that point you really have to squint to spot silhouettes.

Thermal needs a massive buff. It always has.

#42 Charismatic Enigma

• PipPip
  • The Spider's Web
  • The Spider
  • 21 posts

Posted 27 July 2023 - 04:45 PM

there are some serious clipping issues on this map allowing the enemy to shoot through the piles, etc. No way to tell unless you get shot behind one . Just played a few minutes ago and I won't play on this unless they start fixing the issues

#43 TheCaptainJZ

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The CyberKnight
  • The CyberKnight
  • 3,658 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 27 July 2023 - 04:49 PM

Night vision would be cool if it outlined the scene like Halo 3 ODST.

Or something where objects nearby were outlined strongly and got weaker as you went back in range. Should be effective at seeing stealth mechs up close.

Edited by TheCaptainJZ, 27 July 2023 - 04:50 PM.

#44 Karhyy

• PipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 22 posts

Posted 27 July 2023 - 04:55 PM

View PostCharismatic Enigma, on 27 July 2023 - 04:45 PM, said:

there are some serious clipping issues on this map allowing the enemy to shoot through the piles

The opposite is also true. There's piles of junk with light/medium mech sized holes, but you can't shoot through it.

#45 Capellan Shenanigans

• PipPip
  • 24 posts
  • LocationMidwest US

Posted 27 July 2023 - 07:03 PM

I've been playing around in the testing grounds on Ceres Scrapyard and I finally had my first game on it, so here are my first impressions.

It's dark! Seeing enemy 'mechs against hills is annoying, but once they're in the valleys with the fog or silhouetted against the sky, they're quite visible. I was switching between normal, heat and night vision the entire game, depending on what was going on. Note that I have tweaked my video settings a little bit to make the game sharper for my eyes, not to the extent that DATA has, only a little.

My MRM Catapult was able to pop-tart nicely once I got halfway up one of the hills, 2xJJs might not be enough jump to get fully up one of the hills. I did not get stuck on anything or notice egregious invisible walls, but MRMs aren't precision weapons and I wasn't trying to snipe that close to cover.

I like the domination circle, there seems to be a solid amount of cover against incoming fire.

Edited by Capellan Shenanigans, 27 July 2023 - 07:22 PM.

#46 Mechwarrior2342356

• 2,125 posts

Posted 27 July 2023 - 07:05 PM

I'm actually still getting used to all the potential angles on certain locations (e.g. "here you're safe from fire coming that direction, but there's a pathway to your back and right that they can flank you on"), because honestly there's a lot. (Would be easier to assess this kind of thing with more forgiving lighting.)

Edited by the check engine light, 27 July 2023 - 07:06 PM.

#47 SafeScanner

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 330 posts
  • Locationuk

Posted 27 July 2023 - 07:44 PM

the Outer central area where the fog is located is a great kill zone if you can get ontop of the hills and can surround them

#48 D Sync

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • 135 posts

Posted 28 July 2023 - 08:44 AM

How are you guys liking the INVISIBLE WALLS?!

It cost me three kills last match.

I HATE THIS MAP.

110%

#49 Sniper Behind Ya

• PipPipPip
  • The Hunter
  • The Hunter
  • 57 posts

Posted 28 July 2023 - 09:23 AM

Essentially: Ditto all the complaints. I keep running into hills because I can't make out whether there's a path ahead. Interstellar travel, but we can't have functional sensory systems? We should have an overlay- or multi-vision option of 30% thermal + 30% night atop of normal.

I randomly get caught on only some of the debris that sticks out from the ground. We have no way to determine what to avoid as a navigation blockade. There's a spine of debris atop a hill, I think maybe near B2, where I watched I pilot get trapped in it -- even with jump jets.

#50 Mechwarrior2342356

• 2,125 posts

Posted 28 July 2023 - 10:10 AM

View PostSniper Behind Ya, on 28 July 2023 - 09:23 AM, said:

Essentially: Ditto all the complaints. I keep running into hills because I can't make out whether there's a path ahead. Interstellar travel, but we can't have functional sensory systems? We should have an overlay- or multi-vision option of 30% thermal + 30% night atop of normal.

I randomly get caught on only some of the debris that sticks out from the ground. We have no way to determine what to avoid as a navigation blockade. There's a spine of debris atop a hill, I think maybe near B2, where I watched I pilot get trapped in it -- even with jump jets.

I blundered into a chunk of scrap culvert piping and couldn't realize why I had stopped moving, why I couldn't escape or JJ. Hit reverse and another medium right behind me was initially just as confused and blocking me in. Turn on NV, realize what's going on, laugh my *** off.

#51 feeWAIVER

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,647 posts

Posted 28 July 2023 - 10:22 AM

I don't understand your problems.
I just did Event Queue in Atlas' for hours last night and had zero problems with the map.
I don't use night vision or thermal. I can see fine.

#52 An6ryMan69

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 480 posts

Posted 28 July 2023 - 10:30 AM

The lighting and visibility are brutal for my middle-aged eyes, which is why, for now, I actually prefer it when I get the pink version as I can see what is going on.

Clutter tying up mech legs I never like either, so less of that would help.

The rest of the map - size, layout, dead ground, etc, so far I am liking LOTS and this has the potential to be my favorite new map in a couple of years, once mentioned issues are dealt with, which I think can be pretty easily rectified.

Very good start for an early access map.

Edited by An6ryMan69, 28 July 2023 - 10:34 AM.

#53 VeeOt Dragon

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 1,107 posts
  • LocationOhio

Posted 28 July 2023 - 11:10 AM

got some play in on Ceres in my LRM Boat (LRM-40 Catapult-C4) and i find the map works pretty well for it. i mean its no LRM free-for-all like old Polar Highlands but its worth bringing them. many of the hills are easy enough to gt up without JJs so you can get some high ground but there still more than enough cover for the enemy to break LOS or get behind something that can block your fire. on the plus there is plenty of space to get in good volleys and bonus for raining on snipers since most of the so far more commonly used sniper hills aren't 1200+ meters away so still in range (i honestly think LRMs should get a range buff with all the sniper play lately. they are still best used at under 500m but having something to annoy that sniper off in the distance that isn't another sniper would be nice. this is a conversation for another thread though so lets keep the LRM hate out of it)

also got in some Conquest play and the cap points are well positioned. i was a little worried about Theta being out in the open but there is a nice depression there so smaller mechs have some cover. (taller mechs can still be pretty exposed though)

#54 sycocys

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 7,600 posts

Posted 28 July 2023 - 03:50 PM

View PostfeeWAIVER, on 28 July 2023 - 10:22 AM, said:

Same here, I just find the color of and/or lighting style to make the map very bland. You can see that there are textures there but everything is so washed out it all looks flat.

#55 D Sync

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • 135 posts

Posted 28 July 2023 - 04:31 PM

View PostfeeWAIVER, on 28 July 2023 - 10:22 AM, said:

I don't understand your problems.
I just did Event Queue in Atlas' for hours last night and had zero problems with the map.

I have to change monitor settings for this ONE MAP in ONE GAME to be able to see.

Horrendous.

#56 Mechwarrior2342356

• 2,125 posts

Posted 28 July 2023 - 04:44 PM

View PostD Sync, on 28 July 2023 - 04:31 PM, said:

I have to change monitor settings for this ONE MAP in ONE GAME to be able to see.

Horrendous.

He probably uses gpu software to deal with it. Altering gamma on the fly is a pain.

#57 Mechwarrior2342356

• 2,125 posts

Posted 28 July 2023 - 05:47 PM

View PostVeeOt Dragon, on 28 July 2023 - 11:10 AM, said:

got some play in on Ceres in my LRM Boat (LRM-40 Catapult-C4) and i find the map works pretty well for it. i mean its no LRM free-for-all like old Polar Highlands but its worth bringing them. many of the hills are easy enough to gt up without JJs so you can get some high ground but there still more than enough cover for the enemy to break LOS or get behind something that can block your fire. on the plus there is plenty of space to get in good volleys and bonus for raining on snipers since most of the so far more commonly used sniper hills aren't 1200+ meters away so still in range (i honestly think LRMs should get a range buff with all the sniper play lately. they are still best used at under 500m but having something to annoy that sniper off in the distance that isn't another sniper would be nice. this is a conversation for another thread though so lets keep the LRM hate out of it)

also got in some Conquest play and the cap points are well positioned. i was a little worried about Theta being out in the open but there is a nice depression there so smaller mechs have some cover. (taller mechs can still be pretty exposed though)

Theta being relatively safe for lights is a really good thing. Big guys can poke back at LR harassers.

#58 feeWAIVER

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,647 posts

Posted 28 July 2023 - 05:59 PM

View Postthe check engine light, on 28 July 2023 - 04:44 PM, said:

He probably uses gpu software to deal with it. Altering gamma on the fly is a pain.

I don't do anything special.
I have my brightness set to .65, and my gamma set to 1.

That's how I always play every map.

#59 TercieI

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 8,149 posts
  • LocationThe Far Country

Posted 28 July 2023 - 06:30 PM

View Postthe check engine light, on 28 July 2023 - 04:44 PM, said:

Not really. I tweak it on every launch screen.

#60 Mechwarrior2342356

• 2,125 posts

Posted 28 July 2023 - 07:18 PM

View PostTercieI, on 28 July 2023 - 06:30 PM, said:

Not really. I tweak it on every launch screen.

...Huh.

Okay. Beats using NV constantly I guess.

Also holy crap the amount of "accidental wallhack" from terrain not rendering in at distance is kind of crazy.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users