Predictable Result From Releasing A Ton Of Assaults:

120 replies to this topic

#101 foamyesque

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 736 posts

Posted 04 August 2023 - 03:44 PM

View Postthe check engine light, on 04 August 2023 - 12:04 PM, said:

Also every match where a group of lights tried to wolfpack was a fairly disastrous loss barring one where an Urbie lance derped out, got scrubbed while everyone else did pretty alright and secured a win.

I've actually had some real nice matches in my shiny new K9 against all these new assaults. People underestimate how much damage is coming in, it feels.

#102 Mechwarrior2342356

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,130 posts

Posted 04 August 2023 - 03:47 PM

View Postfoamyesque, on 04 August 2023 - 03:44 PM, said:

I've actually had some real nice matches in my shiny new K9 against all these new assaults. People underestimate how much damage is coming in, it feels.

The RAC5 K9 is fun, but I honestly prefer the UAC5.

#103 foamyesque

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 736 posts

Posted 04 August 2023 - 03:53 PM

View Postthe check engine light, on 04 August 2023 - 03:47 PM, said:

The RAC5 K9 is fun, but I honestly prefer the UAC5.

UAC5s got its advantages but that ROF quirk for the RACs is amazing. Slap on a small laser support package and you can shred people's armour incredibly quickly, and sustain it for a surprisingly long interval.

Edited by foamyesque, 04 August 2023 - 03:54 PM.

#104 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 17,076 posts

Posted 04 August 2023 - 04:14 PM

run a uac10 on my cop can.

#105 Captain Caveman DE

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Carnivore
  • The Carnivore
  • 519 posts

Posted 04 August 2023 - 04:25 PM

tried my k9 with the new quirks, rak5+medlaser.
oh boy..
Posted Image

it may not be the best build in the world, but when you leave every match you're in with a wide grin, you're doing sth right. ;)

#106 VeeOt Dragon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 1,212 posts
  • LocationHell

Posted 05 August 2023 - 12:17 AM

exactly, any match you have fun in is a good match and any build that brings you joy is a good one (ok as long as you are at least doing average in it)

#107 MrMadguy

• 2,209 posts

Posted 05 August 2023 - 01:00 AM

I personally miss old Open Beta times, because teams were much heavier back then. Why? Because matches with heavier teams are slower and more positional, rather than deathball/nascar lighter ones. Deathball/nascar tactics - are this game's biggest cancer.

#108 Captain Caveman DE

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Carnivore
  • The Carnivore
  • 519 posts

Posted 05 August 2023 - 03:14 AM

View PostVeeOt Dragon, on 05 August 2023 - 12:17 AM, said:

exactly, any match you have fun in is a good match and any build that brings you joy is a good one (ok as long as you are at least doing average in it)

600-800dmg in proper matches and the ammo gets short at that point.

View PostMrMadguy, on 05 August 2023 - 01:00 AM, said:

I personally miss old Open Beta times, because teams were much heavier back then. Why? Because matches with heavier teams are slower and more positional, rather than deathball/nascar lighter ones. Deathball/nascar tactics - are this game's biggest cancer.

dude, we had 75%assaults a few days ago, and I've seen 65-70 nearly every match since the new assaults dropped.
turned down the last few days, thankfully, but still.

#109 VeeOt Dragon

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 1,212 posts
  • LocationHell

Posted 10 August 2023 - 03:02 PM

yeah my RAC5 K-9 tends to run low on the ammo if a match goes long, is why i have the 2 ER SLs on it. i have thought about upgrading to from the LE to and XL and seeing if i can fit a couple more in there.

not sure if the whole Assault bloat has died down any as i haven't booted up the game since i completed the event. (man i wish they would add a "Kill X Mech X times" thing to the new mech events (the ones they put up when they drop a new mech pack). it would be nice to get something for fragging all those shiny new mechs)

#110 Mechwarrior2342356

• 2,130 posts

Posted 10 August 2023 - 03:06 PM

View PostVeeOt Dragon, on 10 August 2023 - 03:02 PM, said:

yeah my RAC5 K-9 tends to run low on the ammo if a match goes long, is why i have the 2 ER SLs on it. i have thought about upgrading to from the LE to and XL and seeing if i can fit a couple more in there.

not sure if the whole Assault bloat has died down any as i haven't booted up the game since i completed the event. (man i wish they would add a "Kill X Mech X times" thing to the new mech events (the ones they put up when they drop a new mech pack). it would be nice to get something for fragging all those shiny new mechs)

I have seen occasional downticks, sometimes heavies even outqueue the fatties but it's pretty normal to see assaults sitting at 35 percent of queue.

#111 foamyesque

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 736 posts

Posted 10 August 2023 - 10:25 PM

View PostVeeOt Dragon, on 10 August 2023 - 03:02 PM, said:

I would. My build runs an XL180 and 5x SLs, so it's a lot like the other guy's being shot by a RAC5 *and* an AC20 at the same time. Being able to spike twenty points (well okay, 19.75 :v) on a component even while your RAC is spinning up or jammed is extremely useful. Plus, I've noticed people try to shoot the RAC arm off, so it's nice to have some firepower on the other side.

The ammo's tight -- 1.5t-2t depending on armour -- and you only get one JJ, so there's the tradeoffs. But having that much additional gun is really nice.

#112 Mechwarrior2342356

• 2,130 posts

Posted 11 August 2023 - 06:48 AM

View Postfoamyesque, on 10 August 2023 - 10:25 PM, said:

I would. My build runs an XL180 and 5x SLs, so it's a lot like the other guy's being shot by a RAC5 *and* an AC20 at the same time. Being able to spike twenty points (well okay, 19.75 :v) on a component even while your RAC is spinning up or jammed is extremely useful. Plus, I've noticed people try to shoot the RAC arm off, so it's nice to have some firepower on the other side.

The ammo's tight -- 1.5t-2t depending on armour -- and you only get one JJ, so there's the tradeoffs. But having that much additional gun is really nice.

I started out with this and eventually decided I really didn't like compromise on JJ because while there is antisynergy with RAC and JJ if you treat them as something solely to poptart with, a RAC5 that is able to put itself in "how tf did you get that angle you little trashcan looking ****" positions with that arm pointed down at them is pretty awesome. If it didn't roll through ammo bins so fast I would strongly consider dropping the two CT Medium Lasers for more ammo and jumping. With enough altitude for hang time you can even spend part of the upward burn spinning up and the hang-fall portion blazing away, which is more fun than effective perhaps but y'know.

Edited by the check engine light, 11 August 2023 - 06:51 AM.

#113 foamyesque

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 736 posts

Posted 11 August 2023 - 12:02 PM

View Postthe check engine light, on 11 August 2023 - 06:48 AM, said:

I started out with this and eventually decided I really didn't like compromise on JJ because while there is antisynergy with RAC and JJ if you treat them as something solely to poptart with, a RAC5 that is able to put itself in "how tf did you get that angle you little trashcan looking ****" positions with that arm pointed down at them is pretty awesome. If it didn't roll through ammo bins so fast I would strongly consider dropping the two CT Medium Lasers for more ammo and jumping. With enough altitude for hang time you can even spend part of the upward burn spinning up and the hang-fall portion blazing away, which is more fun than effective perhaps but y'know.

The MLs are an option, but I like the 5x SL package more; it's more heat-efficient and has hellacious DPS, which pairs well with the RAC since you're facetiming anyway. It's a half ton heavier, which means you're compromising on at least two of ammo, armour, or JJs (2t of ammo requires armour shaving and only 1 JJ, 1.5t of ammo buys you either close-to-full armour or a second JJ). I had a lot of success with a 1JJ + 1.5t ammo loadout, but I consistently ran out of ammo before I died, so I swapped to the 2t ammo + reduced armour version.

One JJ's enough to get you over obstacles and onto simple platforms. More mobility would be nice, but not at the cost of the raw firepower.

#114 Curccu

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 4,623 posts

Posted 11 August 2023 - 01:23 PM

View Postfoamyesque, on 11 August 2023 - 12:02 PM, said:

The MLs are an option, but I like the 5x SL package more; it's more heat-efficient and has hellacious DPS, which pairs well with the RAC since you're facetiming anyway. It's a half ton heavier, which means you're compromising on at least two of ammo, armour, or JJs (2t of ammo requires armour shaving and only 1 JJ, 1.5t of ammo buys you either close-to-full armour or a second JJ). I had a lot of success with a 1JJ + 1.5t ammo loadout, but I consistently ran out of ammo before I died, so I swapped to the 2t ammo + reduced armour version.

One JJ's enough to get you over obstacles and onto simple platforms. More mobility would be nice, but not at the cost of the raw firepower.

um-k9?

#115 Alex Morgaine

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 2,049 posts

Posted 11 August 2023 - 01:25 PM

70-90 is kind of a sweetspot for mobility, defensiveness and weight capability.

#116 foamyesque

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 736 posts

Posted 11 August 2023 - 03:22 PM

View PostCurccu, on 11 August 2023 - 01:23 PM, said:

Yep, though the build is a DHS one for me. Picked it up in the summer event, fell in love real quick.

Edited by foamyesque, 11 August 2023 - 03:23 PM.

#117 Mechwarrior2342356

• 2,130 posts

Posted 11 August 2023 - 07:39 PM

Playstyle is tepid, timid, shuffling, and needs to eat a ******* salad. You want to be fat but you don't want to show up for the ******* buffet. Every time I hear an assault driver cry about NASCAR I'm reminded that they can only be bothered to show for the fight when it's coming to them anyway. Congrats, the fight reached you. Now carry harder.

Edited by the check engine light, 11 August 2023 - 07:58 PM.

#118 Curccu

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 4,623 posts

Posted 11 August 2023 - 10:13 PM

View Postfoamyesque, on 11 August 2023 - 03:22 PM, said:

Yep, though the build is a DHS one for me. Picked it up in the summer event, fell in love real quick.

SHS lets that build squeeze that 2 tons of ammo easier with less shaving(FF instead of light FF), normal smalls should be cool enough to run SHS. With ER smalls I would use DHS also

#119 foamyesque

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 736 posts

Posted 11 August 2023 - 10:21 PM

View PostCurccu, on 11 August 2023 - 10:13 PM, said:

SHS lets that build squeeze that 2 tons of ammo easier with less shaving(FF instead of light FF), normal smalls should be cool enough to run SHS. With ER smalls I would use DHS also

Yeah, I understand why it was done, but it's a pretty big cooling tradeoff for a fairly small amount of extra armour. Might give it a shot, but DHS/SHS conversions are expensive :v

#120 VeeOt Dragon

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 1,212 posts
  • LocationHell

Posted 12 August 2023 - 03:32 AM

you know i almost never go with SHS anymore. i used to when i first started playing but it was more a C-bill issue. now its almost always LE engines and DHS, with one or two XLs (i'm not the greatest at the ol' torso twist even after all these years so i tend to shy away from XLs. i use them on a couple of my LRM boats but thats a whole nother thing.)

31 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 31 guests, 0 anonymous users