• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Carnivore
  • The Carnivore
  • 519 posts

Posted 05 August 2023 - 02:11 PM

funny this pops up here Posted Image

just had a match were 7-8 heavies & assaults sat on 1 side of a hill on ceres
-and on the other sat a single MarIIC
now.. guess who was alive at the end and who wasn't..

called the Mar out as a single target right in front who's easily rushed
(was in a light off to the right, marked and used voip), but nah..
8+ guys twiddling their thumbs, scared of that MarIIC. Scared of dark ceres, scared of everything.
big mouths on comms, though.

long story short:
another one of those ~3:12 games, and we all know why.
guns. it's great if you got em (ingame only! Posted Image) - but it's just sad if you're too scared to shoot em.
8v1 and the 1 lives at the end.. quickplay is really killing my fun at this. again.

Edited by Captain Caveman DE, 05 August 2023 - 02:16 PM.

#3 Mechwarrior2342356

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,130 posts

Posted 05 August 2023 - 02:14 PM

Players have become absurdly timid and I'm pretty over this behavior. They will outright break and run from pushes.

Though honestly I think it's just as much "wait for one of my teammates to take the risk for me, don't care if team wins, just want to farm" as anything else. Attempting to goad teammates into doing this for them is probably not out of the question.

I'm learning to mute early and often, never stick my neck out for teammates that aren't moving to engage and ignore win/loss, focus on personal MS because anything else is a suckers bet. I made the mistake of obeying comms on Vitric last night and holding lower left, got left by myself to a Red team rush, and realized that I was the designated bagholder. Not doing that ever again.

Edited by the check engine light, 05 August 2023 - 02:28 PM.

#4 ThreeStooges

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Howl
  • The Howl
  • 505 posts
  • Locationamc reruns and youtube

Posted 05 August 2023 - 03:39 PM

People have been timid long before the flood of asses. I just put lrm 5 and ams on a light along with a few er lls on a light and use them as the meat shields they are. Not like they are going to move and shoot at the same time. That's far too hard. Some times I "scout" by putting up a uav or wave a tag laser around going "pew pew" to myself. When I'm really bored i'll waste four tons on a narc and half ton ammo just to see what happens.

#5 Leadpaintchips

• PipPipPip
  • The Bludgeon
  • The Bludgeon
  • 69 posts

Posted 05 August 2023 - 04:03 PM

Love it when assaults bravely lead from the rear. Don't have to worry about coms though, I turned that off years ago after one too many armchair generals leading from behind berated our team for leaving his LRM 'assault' with no point defense systems by themselves to get farmed by lights.

#6 Cyborne Elemental

• 3,980 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 05 August 2023 - 05:23 PM

BING BACK BAWL!

I've been in plenty of games, where everyone is hiding, so afraid of the snipy snipers, and Lurm boaters.

Usually it takes 1 person to say Yolo, be the sacrificial lamb, then everyone starts getting into the fight.

Like I saw in that crazy video where one guy with a fast minimal build Atlas, gets on comms and says "We're going straight at them!" and just tanks a crapton of damage, with the rest of the team behind him doing a deathball push, and on the vid they went 12-0 or 12-1 victories over and over.

Your microphone is your best friend.
Use it.

Edited by Cyborne Elemental, 05 August 2023 - 05:29 PM.

#7 Mechwarrior2342356

• 2,130 posts

Posted 05 August 2023 - 06:49 PM

Of course they would rally behind Jango. Rank 28 on Jarl's, 99.9 percentile. Not pushing with him is risking the loss of what could very well be the best player on your team.

View PostCyborne Elemental, on 05 August 2023 - 05:23 PM, said:

Your microphone is your best friend.
Use it.

Oh please, half of you ignore the GOOD players when they bother making calls. If I could get my mic working I sure as hell won't waste breath on any of you. Think it's pretty easy to imagine how that goes.

Edited by the check engine light, 06 August 2023 - 06:20 AM.

#8 1Exitar1

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 253 posts
  • LocationSomewhere in the Milkyway Galaxy

Posted 05 August 2023 - 07:51 PM

View PostLeadpaintchips, on 05 August 2023 - 04:03 PM, said:

Love it when assaults bravely lead from the rear. Don't have to worry about coms though, I turned that off years ago after one too many armchair generals leading from behind berated our team for leaving his LRM 'assault' with no point defense systems by themselves to get farmed by lights.

That happened to me once. I was in the LRM assault. It was my first time playing one too. I learned from my death though. Stay near the team! If you're by yourself and don't have defenses, you're dead.

Also learned the lesson to never stop moving in a light mech. You always need to be moving, even if it's only back and forth.

#9 Mechwarrior2342356

• 2,130 posts

Posted 06 August 2023 - 07:45 AM

It's funny to me when assaults hang back from rest of team like they are thinking "oh Red will come to me anyway"

And then Red comes for them and they get creamed

#10 Nine-Ball

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 657 posts

Posted 06 August 2023 - 07:57 AM

Vrooooom

#11 Mechwarrior2342356

• 2,130 posts

Posted 06 August 2023 - 08:00 AM

View PostNine-Ball, on 06 August 2023 - 07:57 AM, said:

Vrooooom

There is practically no vroom on Forest Colony Classic and it's not hard to catch up. At that point it's a conscious choice and the two assaults who decided to play that game were the only casualties.

I hung back and waited for them to start moving up, they didn't so I moved up with the rest. In a UAC2 NTG so it's not like I didn't have range, I probably had better optimal than them, but I'm not going to babysit a couple of fatties who just don't want to move up and get better angles to help their team. Ended up with better MS than both, had a good chuckle about that.

Seriously though I have done my best to point out flanks, pushes from grid lines over text and been completely ignored so I doubt VOIP is going to go any better. If people are disregarding Sustained Eye Contact on calls and leaving me stranded (and he's really good about trying to pugwrangle) I give myself long odds on so much as an acknowledgement of Red team location.

Edited by the check engine light, 06 August 2023 - 10:39 AM.

#12 SafeScanner

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 330 posts
  • Locationuk

Posted 07 August 2023 - 07:02 AM

My experience listening to comms are Hello and then static, cuss you out ,call out a grid or help they are shooting 'me' (no name/grid ref)

but there are those good ones where people are helpful and insightful few are far between but stil

#13 feeWAIVER

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,724 posts

Posted 07 August 2023 - 07:17 AM

But Danny Devito is clearly an Urbie.

#14 Captain Caveman DE

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Carnivore
  • The Carnivore
  • 519 posts

Posted 07 August 2023 - 07:36 AM

View PostfeeWAIVER, on 07 August 2023 - 07:17 AM, said:

But Danny Devito is clearly an Urbie.

ofc. he's a manly hero who's not afraid to use his guns on those red evildoers.
-> every proper urbie-pilot ;D

#15 Marcel Leander

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 124 posts

Posted 07 August 2023 - 03:12 PM

I was in a game a while back on Emerald in my DW, had a group of four reds - a couple heavies and assaults - coming toward an obvious pinch point between hills. I moved to the side of the pinch point and up the side of one of the hills to draw them into the small space and then planned to jj over the hill to come in behind them. Right as they were about to hit the pinch point, someone in a heavy goes running in and gets obliterated and starts crying on voice comms about how I'm afraid to scratch my paint. I still waited a moment before jumping over and starting gunning them down from behind. As they turned around to come after me, another assault on my team came in from the front and started hitting them from that side.
So while I'm sure there are people that are just being timid and don't want to get shot, I also don't think that means you have to blindly rush into fire and get shot needlessly when you can be tactical and pick your targets and the circumstances of your engagement. The goal isn't just shoot the enemy. It's to do more damage to them than they do to you. But I feel like there's a lot of people who just want to charge in without thinking it through.
I was in another game a couple weeks ago where someone suggested we all wait at our spawn points and make the enemy trudge the whole way across the map to find us. We just stood around and chatted and as they rolled in at different speeds we tore them up. Easy win. So... these are the things I think about whenever I hear people complaining about other players being afraid to mess up their paint.

#16 Jon Gotham

• The Pest
  • The Pest
  • 2,649 posts

Posted 08 August 2023 - 03:30 PM

The assault experience nowe usually is add stealth/ecm load up on extra long range weapons and hide behind your team, letting them tank all the damage whilst you farm damage.
Then, get all upset and defensive when someone calls you out on it.

#17 Captain Caveman DE

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Carnivore
  • The Carnivore
  • 519 posts

Posted 09 August 2023 - 02:29 AM

View PostJon Gotham, on 08 August 2023 - 03:30 PM, said:

The assault experience nowe usually is add stealth/ecm load up on extra long range weapons and hide behind your team, letting them tank all the damage whilst you farm damage.
Then, get all upset and defensive when someone calls you out on it.

"The assault experience nowe usually is add stealth/ecm load up on extra long range weapons and hide behind your team, letting them tank all the damage whilst you do nothing.
Then, get all upset and defensive when someone calls you out on it."

there, fixed that for you Posted Image

had another match with 7? or 8 100t plus heavies, where every 100tmech is under 100dmg.

losing with many heavies and assaults? totally possible.
doing 19(!) damage with a stonerhino? now, that's hard, but as shown, also possible.

Edited by Captain Caveman DE, 09 August 2023 - 02:35 AM.

#18 Haipyng

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Grizzly
  • The Grizzly
  • 593 posts
  • LocationIn Transit

Posted 10 August 2023 - 09:35 AM

It's a result of the push of improving long-range weapons and reducing effectiveness of short-range weapons. Now it is down to what mech boats the most long-range weapons and has the most armor, that will always be an assault. The recent launches of some assaults made it worse with those buying the Legendaries while they are OP.

#19 Vonbach

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 697 posts

Posted 11 August 2023 - 04:18 AM

Bring back brawling and maybe assaults will actually, well assault again.
What did they think was going to happen when they took away assaults
agility?

#20 Curccu

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 4,623 posts

Posted 11 August 2023 - 04:42 AM

View PostVonbach, on 11 August 2023 - 04:18 AM, said:

Bring back brawling and maybe assaults will actually, well assault again.
What did they think was going to happen when they took away assaults
agility?

Assault agility is back to ok levels since Cauldron.

15 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 15 guests, 0 anonymous users