11 replies to this topic

#1 Lajur Kas

• PipPipPip
  • The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 77 posts
  • LocationOrestes Rally Point

Posted 28 July 2023 - 06:50 PM

Some time ago, I reached the "People's Hero" achievement for 20K kill assists in a medium mech.

This caused a review of assists with assaults near 17K, heavies near 15K, and lights just over 10K.

For the first time, my eyes settled on the "All Around Helper" achievement of 20K assists in each weight class and I have played lights, almost exclusively, since.

Now, closing in on 16K assists in lights, I am excited to take a break and focus on some heavy and assault game play.

Overall, this has helped keep the game fresh and I am interested to know who else may be chasing, or achieved, the "All Around Helper" title? Any kind of a similar experience? In the bag a long time ago? Thoughts on weight classes?

GLHF.

#2 w0qj

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 3,571 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationAt your 6 :)

Posted 28 July 2023 - 07:15 PM

Most folks prefer 1 or 2 mech weight classes, and as such it's rather difficult to achieve this "all around helper" accolade :(

I'm an Assault / Heavy pilot, and it's especially difficult for me to get it for Medium and especially Light mechs.
In fact, playing Light mechs almost give me a headache just watching it while I play :(

#3 Mechwarrior2342356

• 2,130 posts

Posted 28 July 2023 - 07:29 PM

Thoughts on weight classes?

Right now, I'm kind of sick of assaults. Playing them feels like fighting the controls and the game. Even more sluggish heavies are more pleasant. I want to like lights, but it's so damn easy to just get scrubbed. Mediums feel nice. Almost no feeling of fighting the controls. Doesn't die when looked at crosseyed, typically. The Viper is great. The Shadow Hawk is fun (though god the Scattershot feels different and I cannot figure out WHY). Heavies are alright.

I can't be arsed to care about cheevos. I have some cheevo titles and simply don't care. They're not interesting nor do they add to the game in a meaningful fashion for me. Even as a goalpost they're like "why? It's a grind inside a grind."

#4 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 17,070 posts

Posted 28 July 2023 - 07:37 PM

i got this one some years ago.

#5 BUMMBUMM

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 254 posts
  • LocationHannover

Posted 29 July 2023 - 04:10 AM

Class - Assists - Mechs
Medium - 15,4 - 42
Heavy --- 15,3 - 39
Light ----- 10,8 - 30
Assault -- 10,1 - 25

I took a look at the achievements recently, just for info. Its way too far out there to be chasing it.
Now reading op and the mention of favoured classes i rechecked, because I dont really have fav class. My progress seems to be mostly driven by the amount of owned mechs in that class, because they all want to be leveled Posted Image
the need of leveling or whatever class gets me faster into a match is my main decision factor on which class to take. And usually the matchmaking status says its good on assaults, so i rarely take them.
plus theyre so damn expensive and i like to hoard my c-bills, so theyre the smallest part of my rooster $-)

#6 Lajur Kas

• PipPipPip
  • The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 77 posts

Posted 29 July 2023 - 12:44 PM

View Postw0qj, on 28 July 2023 - 07:15 PM, said:

In fact, playing Light mechs almost give me a headache just watching it while I play Posted Image

Understood, can't say I focus on speed. While this is my Inner Sphere account, I do play my lights more like the Clan, as maneuverable gun boats. Just not a fan of the color blur.

View Postthe check engine light, on 28 July 2023 - 07:29 PM, said:

Mediums feel nice.

I can't be arsed to care about cheevos...They're not interesting nor do they add to the game in a meaningful fashion for me.

Naturally gravitated to mediums, also. Heck, in a way it's the source of the topic;) I did buy the Scattershot but haven't played it much yet.

As a Founder with a pile of mechs, this particular achievement was just what I needed to help invest interest back into the game. Even though that new direction was a "grind inside a grind"

View PostLordNothing, on 28 July 2023 - 07:37 PM, said:

i got this one some years ago.

Woot! All Around Helper in the house!

View PostBUMMBUMM, on 29 July 2023 - 04:10 AM, said:

Class - Assists - Mechs
Medium - 15,4 - 42
Heavy --- 15,3 - 39
Light ----- 10,8 - 30
Assault -- 10,1 - 25

I like your approach to the game and you appear to be well on your way, There have been many nights where the matchmaker has decided on the weight class of the moment.

Edited by Lajur Kas, 29 July 2023 - 07:00 PM.

#7 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 17,070 posts

Posted 29 July 2023 - 12:48 PM

still dont have liquid metal, got close a couple times but ended the match with too many legs. hard to get in an lfe-cxl world. its ok only 895 headshots to go for guillotine.

Edited by LordNothing, 29 July 2023 - 12:50 PM.

#8 RockmachinE

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,135 posts

Posted 29 July 2023 - 01:23 PM

Achievements are something to keep you going if you are a goal oriented person that likes milestones. Must be fun. I don't really play for achievements or stats I'm more of a play for fun person and whatever the result tends to be so be it. I got an ace of spades in a commando, but it wasn't 100% genuine since I managed to nail one disconnect at spawn also.

On classes:

Coming from an action FPS background I feel MWO is very sluggish and slow and I lack patience to play slow mechs, generally I'm not a very patient player. I tend to focus on faster variants in a class and tend to take speed tweak, mobility quirks and faster engines at the expense of everything else because of that.

Before the Assault Deluge I played a lot mediums as they seem to be a good balance between speed and damage. I'd go heavy for a bit if I wanted that extra damage. I had periods where I played lights a lot, but that was years ago, but now not so much since they lack the punch with all the power creep. You can still do well in lights, but it feels like you have to put effort and work all round to get decent damage.

I loathe playing assaults, when I do I play faster variants aiming for 60+ kph, but lately I played a bit more since everyone's running them.

#9 crazytimes

• Ace Of Spades
  • 1,356 posts

Posted 29 July 2023 - 02:20 PM

It's worth 5000 GXP, so 10 skillpoints, that you still need to pay credits to convert. There is nothing about that return that suggests any effort towards deliberately grinding it is worthwhile.

It does highlight that perhaps it is time for a refresh of achievement rewards. There has been massive inflation in the economy since those rewards were made- what was probably meaningful 10 years ago is almost worthless now. Sort of like supply caches for the most part.

#10 RockmachinE

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,135 posts

Posted 29 July 2023 - 04:02 PM

View Postcrazytimes, on 29 July 2023 - 02:20 PM, said:

Sort of like supply caches for the most part.

I see supply caches as a neat little bonus feature nothing more. They do yield some cool decals though.

#11 Mechwarrior2342356

• 2,130 posts

Posted 29 July 2023 - 04:07 PM

View PostRockmachinE, on 29 July 2023 - 04:02 PM, said:

I see supply caches as a neat little bonus feature nothing more. They do yield some cool decals though.

I like the "Duplicate, 50000 Cbills" decal. I get that a lot though, wonder how many of those there are?

#12 Lajur Kas

• PipPipPip
  • The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 77 posts

Posted 29 July 2023 - 06:57 PM

View PostLordNothing, on 29 July 2023 - 12:48 PM, said:

...its ok only 895 headshots to go for guillotine.

LOL...only 820 to go for me!

View PostRockmachinE, on 29 July 2023 - 01:23 PM, said:

Achievements are something to keep you going if you are a goal oriented person that likes milestones.

...after years of gratuitous and random hot mech action...yeah...I had to settle down and go for the goal. Ahhh, but the good ole days...who knows what kind of stompy business I would have been down with for the night:)

It's worth 5000 GXP, so 10 skillpoints, that you still need to pay credits to convert.

It's all about the Title, that is priceless.

It is time for a refresh of achievement rewards.

Fixed it for you.

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users