57 replies to this topic

#21 RockmachinE

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,139 posts

Posted 29 July 2023 - 01:36 PM

View PostLordNothing, on 29 July 2023 - 12:52 PM, said:

don't like pay to win, then buy something and they wouldn't have to act so desperately to get funds.

No matter how much money you throw at the game at this point it won't make a big difference due to the small playerbase and skeleton crew left working on it.

The small size of the playerbase is a reflection of all the bad decision PGI made, their incompetence in game design and the bad attitude they had towards its players.

Personally I don't care for all of this, I've enjoyed MWO for over a decade, but the last people to blame for this are the players. People wanted to pay, people wanted to buy, but PGI failed to deliver time and time again and they were mean about it too, so most stopped and left.

Edited by RockmachinE, 29 July 2023 - 01:38 PM.

#22 crazytimes

• Ace Of Spades
  • 1,358 posts

Posted 29 July 2023 - 02:09 PM

There is a *lot* of weight on the field at the moment. I know it will settle down a bit... but with 2 new annhilators and a whole new 100 ton chassis, the weight balance is definitely tipped upwards.

Fortunately- a lot of people who use real world money are not the best players. If you can avoid the return fire, there is a lot of available damage to be farmed. It only took two matches for the first 22 loot bags in the latest beach party phases, and I was playing heavies.

Unfortunately... those stone rhinos hurt and there are plenty of pilots that aren't full potato. I won't play much until it settles down a bit.

#23 Meep Meep

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,908 posts
  • LocationBehind You

Posted 29 July 2023 - 02:27 PM

Play light and medium mechs and farm them. There is a definite lack of counters right now with all the 100 ton spam lumbering around and its easy pickings.

#24 Mechwarrior2342356

• 2,130 posts

Posted 29 July 2023 - 02:36 PM

View PostRockmachinE, on 29 July 2023 - 01:36 PM, said:

No matter how much money you throw at the game at this point it won't make a big difference due to the small playerbase and skeleton crew left working on it.

The small size of the playerbase is a reflection of all the bad decision PGI made, their incompetence in game design and the bad attitude they had towards its players.

Personally I don't care for all of this, I've enjoyed MWO for over a decade, but the last people to blame for this are the players. People wanted to pay, people wanted to buy, but PGI failed to deliver time and time again and they were mean about it too, so most stopped and left.

I'm torn here because I am reminded that **** rolls downhill. I choose to excuse neither, and honestly? It looks for all the world to me that the PGI that burnt people is just not there anymore in any meaningful sense. Bullock and Inouye are effectively non-interactive, near as I can tell. Who else is there anymore?

Players choosing to buy into the newest waves of troublesome offerings (and squealing like stuck pigs when they get nerfed, because THAT'S never happened before, who could have foreseen?) leaves the door wide open to assume they're nonchalantly and mildly malicious towards other players, because buying the Stone Rhino, GZ etc. doesn't hurt PGI in the slightest if that's who they're mad at. The playerbase could tank as some grow weary, but PGI will just say "oh well!" and move devs to other projects as the MWO servers finally stop twitching. I mean, this is a "heads I win tails you lose" where you are either compelled to buy into prenerf FOMO or you retire and either turnover replaces you or PGI gets to shift resources to whatever, I doubt EG7 would bat an eye at dropping MWO and shunting resources to LotRO.

I'm beginning to think there is a lot of misplaced sentimentality here and some jilted admirer behavior is resulting.

#25 VeeOt Dragon

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 1,212 posts
  • LocationHell

Posted 29 July 2023 - 02:48 PM

i see it more as desperately trying to keep the game funded. don't like pay to win, then buy something and they wouldn't have to act so desperately to get funds.

ive been funding like crazy this year to help ensure that new weapons come out. but if they flake on this im going to shut the wallet down for awhile.

seriously i think they need permanent price cuts on all mechpacks that are more than 3 years old, like 25% off. and mechpacks older than 6 years need to be 50% off. so much legacy content you could really sell to new players.

i have been saying this for YEARS. though i cut even further. i say sell 3 year old+ packs for the cost in real cash of the hero/special variants plus maybe a a dollar or two and have the C-bill mechs as a bonus (or just half the cost of the required mech bays for the C-bill mechs).

they need to concentrate on the minnows not the whales. the main reason i have never pai real money for MWO is the packs are just way to damn expensive. (they did a few 4 mech $20 packs a while back and i got the Striker pack as a reward for a forum contest)

#26 Rain Dark Sky

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 179 posts

Posted 29 July 2023 - 03:11 PM

I have not noticed anything being overpowered, except lights which should be scaled up slightly to account for actual lore size.

#27 RockmachinE

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,139 posts

Posted 29 July 2023 - 04:10 PM

View Postcrazytimes, on 29 July 2023 - 02:09 PM, said:

It only took two matches for the first 22 loot bags in the latest beach party phases, and I was playing heavies.

Last phase was 1 lootbag per 100 dmg.

According to this you've done 2200 Damage in 2 matches...now I'm not saying you didn't, but averaging 1100 dmg per match in two consecutive matches seems just a tad bit exaggerated unless you somehow went low tier Seal clubbing.

#28 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 17,076 posts

Posted 29 July 2023 - 05:16 PM

View PostRockmachinE, on 29 July 2023 - 01:36 PM, said:

the skeleton crew has done wonders in the last few years, things they were unable to pull off with a full team before mw5 dev started. i remember for example we were starved for map development for years while mech packs were constantly being churned out, and people were buying them. so the game was never lacking for funding. i figure those funds were not spent wisely, supporting a huge team that just got in eachother's way. a small team seems to have accomplished more with less.

i think the cauldron is a big part of the amount of recent progress, pgi could focus on content rather than have to juggle the thousands of balance gripes the community tends to generate. as a result we got several maps, event queue, and some new mechs. but with the legendaries and the desparately high prices on recent mech packs, one has to wonder how long they can sustain this progress.

Edited by LordNothing, 29 July 2023 - 05:19 PM.

#29 CFC Conky

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,834 posts
  • LocationThe PSR basement.

Posted 29 July 2023 - 05:58 PM

RockmachinE said:

1690675854[/url]' post='6504038']

According to this you've done 2200 Damage in 2 matches...now I'm not saying you didn't, but averaging 1100 dmg per match in two consecutive matches seems just a tad bit exaggerated unless you somehow went low tier Seal clubbing.

Crazytimes mentions the last beach party phases. Phase 3 is 1 loot bag per 100 match score, Phase 4, 1 bag per 100 damage. 22 bags could have come from two matches.

Good hunting,
CFC Conky

Edited by CFC Conky, 29 July 2023 - 05:58 PM.

#30 crazytimes

• Ace Of Spades
  • 1,358 posts

Posted 29 July 2023 - 06:31 PM

View PostRockmachinE, on 29 July 2023 - 04:10 PM, said:

1400 in a UAC2 Jade Kite, the next match in a laser vomit Blood Asp. That's on main.

My alt "seal clubber" account is tier 2, but it managed a few ~1400-1731 damage games during the beach party. It did not take many matches to farm damage, especially once the extra assaults appeared. At tier 2 and getting the ocassional match full of 4s, yes, I know that is just seal clubbing. It did make for quick loot bags on that account though, and it'll be in tier 1 soon enough.

[color=#FFFFFF]Posted Image[/color]

#31 sycocys

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 7,600 posts

Posted 29 July 2023 - 06:54 PM

i see it more as desperately trying to keep the game funded. don't like pay to win, then buy something and they wouldn't have to act so desperately to get funds.

If only they had actually developed the game to be more than simple arena deathmatch back when the player population was much higher and income on sales with that population.

So if they are desperately trying to get funds they should probably be announcing MWO2 with a bit more of a plan to their game mode depth.

#32 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 17,076 posts

Posted 29 July 2023 - 07:20 PM

View Postsycocys, on 29 July 2023 - 06:54 PM, said:

If only they had actually developed the game to be more than simple arena deathmatch back when the player population was much higher and income on sales with that population.

So if they are desperately trying to get funds they should probably be announcing MWO2 with a bit more of a plan to their game mode depth.

keeping their lead developers around longer than they did would have been prudent. they have spent so much time modding around the blob that they got to the point where they could not solve simple problems or add modernization features, like better 4k/widescreen support for example. but really no point worrying about what they should have done or what they failed to obtain for doing it wrong. hindsight, etc.

i think now with a smaller team they are actually getting a lot more done. historically great games have come out of small studios, while aaa games feel like too much soulless copypasta. ksp2 was supposed to be a movement forward, and i havent played it once since launch day. i got four concurrent interstellar missions in ksp1 thanks to mods. mwo2 might not be the thing we need. perhaps a community edition where you can run 3rd party servers and have mods. id pay stone rhino prices for that.

Edited by LordNothing, 29 July 2023 - 07:25 PM.

#33 crazytimes

• Ace Of Spades
  • 1,358 posts

Posted 29 July 2023 - 07:33 PM

View Postsycocys, on 29 July 2023 - 06:54 PM, said:

Most of the market for Battletech IP that want to play an online game already are. If they roll out MWO2 - there are two choices. Carry over purchases and gut their own business plan, or don't carry over purchases from MWO1 and alienate the vast majority oif their customer base.

There is no way I'd put my hand in my pocket for MWO2. I came here from World of Tanks and World of Warships, plenty of other F2P games to move to if MWO2 happens.

#34 ImaginaryFireball

• PipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 65 posts

Posted 29 July 2023 - 08:24 PM

I think it would be neat if MWO got the Counter Strike treatment, where they just port everything over to a more modern engine.

#35 Mechwarrior2342356

• 2,130 posts

Posted 29 July 2023 - 08:57 PM

View PostImaginartFireball, on 29 July 2023 - 08:24 PM, said:

I think it would be neat if MWO got the Counter Strike treatment, where they just port everything over to a more modern engine.

How are they going to sell that to us

#36 ImaginaryFireball

• PipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 65 posts

Posted 29 July 2023 - 09:17 PM

View Postthe check engine light, on 29 July 2023 - 08:57 PM, said:

How are they going to sell that to us

Advertise it as MWO2 and try to lure in new players? IDK, I never said it was a realistic idea, I just said it would be nice.

#37 Mechwarrior2342356

• 2,130 posts

Posted 29 July 2023 - 09:28 PM

View PostImaginartFireball, on 29 July 2023 - 09:17 PM, said:

Advertise it as MWO2 and try to lure in new players? IDK, I never said it was a realistic idea, I just said it would be nice.

Fair point

#38 PocketYoda

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,138 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 29 July 2023 - 10:43 PM

They are only as powerful as their drivers..

#39 Mechwarrior2342356

• 2,130 posts

Posted 29 July 2023 - 10:58 PM

View PostPocketYoda, on 29 July 2023 - 10:43 PM, said:

They are only as powerful as their drivers..

If you can accomplish the basic task of getting a Koloss into decent position, point it at anything smaller and click the mouse buttons you will delete ****.

That thing was demolishing ASSAULTS in the EQ. They were getting called as priority targets, **** the Gausszilla, kill the ******* Koloss.

#40 JudauAshta

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 264 posts

Posted 30 July 2023 - 02:57 AM

SR is good slightly op maybe but its no launch kodiak

that thing was bonkers lmao
oh how i miss it

19 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 19 guests, 0 anonymous users