- - - - -

Map And Mode Feedback!

382 replies to this topic

Poll: Map and Mode Feedback (2035 member(s) have cast votes)

Favorite Large Map?

1. Voted Alpine Peaks (187 votes [9.20%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 9.20%

2. Forest Colony (131 votes [6.44%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 6.44%

3. Voted Free Worlds Coliseum (114 votes [5.61%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 5.61%

4. Frozen City (97 votes [4.77%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 4.77%

5. Voted Grim Plexus (447 votes [21.99%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 21.99%

6. Polar Highlands (125 votes [6.15%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 6.15%

7. Voted Solaris City (314 votes [15.45%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 15.45%

8. Terra Therma (58 votes [2.85%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 2.85%

9. Terra Therma Crucible (71 votes [3.49%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 3.49%

10. Voted Tourmaline Desert (489 votes [24.05%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 24.05%

Favorite Medium Map?

1. Caustic Valley (84 votes [4.13%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 4.13%

2. Crimson Strait (127 votes [6.25%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 6.25%

3. Emerald Vale (188 votes [9.25%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 9.25%

4. Voted HPG Manifold (372 votes [18.30%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 18.30%

5. Hellebore Springs (59 votes [2.90%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 2.90%

6. Voted Mining Collective (511 votes [25.14%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 25.14%

7. Voted River City (189 votes [9.30%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 9.30%

8. Voted Rubellite Oasis (323 votes [15.89%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 15.89%

9. Viridian Bog (180 votes [8.85%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 8.85%

Favorite Small Map?

1. Voted Canyon Network (705 votes [34.68%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 34.68%

2. Voted Ceres Metal Scrapyard (148 votes [7.28%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 7.28%

3. Voted Forest Colony Classic (83 votes [4.08%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 4.08%

4. Voted Forest Colony Classic Snow (53 votes [2.61%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 2.61%

5. Frozen City Classic (109 votes [5.36%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 5.36%

6. Frozen City Classic Night (240 votes [11.81%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 11.81%

7. Hibernal Rift (220 votes [10.82%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 10.82%

8. Vitric Station (475 votes [23.36%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 23.36%

Least Favorite Large Map?

1. Voted Alpine Peaks (668 votes [32.86%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 32.86%

2. Forest Colony (121 votes [5.95%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 5.95%

3. Free Worlds Coliseum (177 votes [8.71%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 8.71%

4. Frozen City (168 votes [8.26%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 8.26%

5. Voted Grim Plexus (67 votes [3.30%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 3.30%

6. Polar Highlands (155 votes [7.62%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 7.62%

7. Voted Solaris City (341 votes [16.77%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 16.77%

8. Terra Therma (133 votes [6.54%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 6.54%

9. Voted Terra Therma Crucible (139 votes [6.84%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 6.84%

10. Tourmaline Desert (64 votes [3.15%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 3.15%

Least Favorite Medium Map?

1. Voted Caustic Valley (511 votes [25.15%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 25.15%

2. Crimson Strait (154 votes [7.58%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 7.58%

3. Voted Emerald Vale (199 votes [9.79%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 9.79%

4. HPG Manifold (165 votes [8.12%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 8.12%

5. Voted Hellebore Springs (429 votes [21.11%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 21.11%

6. Mining Collective (122 votes [6.00%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 6.00%

7. River City (183 votes [9.01%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 9.01%

8. Voted Rubellite Oasis (103 votes [5.07%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 5.07%

9. Viridian Bog (166 votes [8.17%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 8.17%

Least Favorite Small Map?

1. Canyon Network (212 votes [10.43%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 10.43%

2. Voted Ceres Metal Scrapyard (407 votes [20.02%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 20.02%

3. Forest Colony Classic (401 votes [19.72%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 19.72%

4. Forest Colony Classic Snow (137 votes [6.74%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 6.74%

5. Voted Frozen City Classic (239 votes [11.76%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 11.76%

6. Frozen City Classic Night (66 votes [3.25%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 3.25%

7. Voted Hibernal Rift (333 votes [16.38%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 16.38%

8. Vitric Station (238 votes [11.71%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 11.71%

Favorite Gamemode?

1. Voted Assault (333 votes [16.38%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 16.38%

2. Voted Conquest (422 votes [20.76%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 20.76%

3. Incursion (155 votes [7.62%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 7.62%

4. Voted Skirmish (486 votes [23.91%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 23.91%

5. Voted Domination (637 votes [31.33%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 31.33%

Least Favorite Gamemode?

1. Voted Assault (149 votes [7.33%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 7.33%

2. Voted Conquest (381 votes [18.74%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 18.74%

3. Voted Incursion (997 votes [49.04%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 49.04%

4. Skirmish (314 votes [15.45%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 15.45%

5. Voted Domination (192 votes [9.44%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 9.44%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#221 Kaiju-Killer

• PipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 31 posts
  • LocationOn my way to the top

Posted 08 August 2023 - 03:53 PM

I don't get why people are so afraid of bringing lurmboats into Solaris City, there are spots where you can still lurm (just not over the top insanity lurmhell) and it's up to you to get to those spots and use your lurms. Plus Solaris City is always a nice break from the purgatory that is every other map in the game where you get pummeled by the current long range meta and then lurmboats and PPC slingers finish you off. Solaris City just has different gameplay and strategies involved, you gotta learn em and move on instead of complaining about how some assault rounded the corner and made you piss your pants. That assault prolly knew what it was doing and was just getting into the position the build is good for. Plus I don't know how often people find themselves fighting on the outskirts of the actual city area but it's really, really fun to fight there. It provides a new experience on the map and you can most definitely lurm people in that scenario, happened to me a bunch of times.

#222 CSbrunton

• Pip
  • Shredder
  • 11 posts

Posted 08 August 2023 - 05:05 PM

Alpine is the BEST!!!! needs to be in rotation more often... so does conquest, it is the best game mode also! But I am always the DARK horse, but Bring back game mode selection! That would be GREAT!

Also dont know why Alpine getting hate... it never COMES up in rotation! Might be able to play it 1 in 50 games!!!!

Edited by CSbrunton, 09 August 2023 - 03:42 PM.

#223 ocular tb

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 543 posts
  • LocationCaught Somewhere in Time

Posted 08 August 2023 - 05:29 PM

Love Alpine. Please don't touch it! Just make a new version of it with a new name.

#224 Mechwarrior2342356

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,130 posts

Posted 08 August 2023 - 05:48 PM

View PostTheCaptainJZ, on 08 August 2023 - 01:44 PM, said:

Frostbyte clarified on page 2 what they're looking to do with this. Which boils down to just changing the weighting of the maps in the mapmaker. That's basically it at this point. Everyone started giving feedback on maps and that's out of scope with what they really were going to do here, unfortunately. There's so much room for improvement, it's sad that all they have time for is tweaking the probability that Tourmaline Desert will be an option on the vote screen.

The maps and modes available at vote are far from the biggest problem facing MWO right now. The vote could probably be VASTLY improved by narrowing map options to 2. End up with less people who could settle for one kind of map splitting vote badly enough that the outlier takes it.

Edited by the check engine light, 08 August 2023 - 05:57 PM.

#225 Bolo Atari

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Stryker
  • The Stryker
  • 259 posts
  • LocationGlengarry

Posted 08 August 2023 - 05:54 PM

I gotta say, I stopped voting in-game for map and mode to challenge myself. Majority rule sees interesting results.

And I've let go of one stressor when I play Posted Image

#226 Mechwarrior2342356

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,130 posts

Posted 08 August 2023 - 06:17 PM

How will changing MM map frequency help anything

It may be all you can do but what exactly will that do

You must have some inkling that this will do SOMETHING, but I really can't fathom what

Edited by the check engine light, 08 August 2023 - 06:25 PM.

#227 GeneralDestroyer

Rookie

• Big Brother
  • 6 posts

Posted 08 August 2023 - 08:55 PM

I think Alpine Peaks is ok mind you it does have it flaws but I would be lying if I said I didn't have fun when playing on it its a very good map for sniping in my executioner I see it as a worse version of the old free worlds coliseum which mind now that it has been replaced by what I think is an inferior version, idk I like snow maps (especially when they don't make you eyes bleed I'm looking at you Frozen city) and although it seems like almost all the large maps are just giant open spaces (one of the reasons why I adore Forest Colony is for have a mix of this sort of terrain) but I don't mind a long range map in the snow rather then a desert or a wasteland like most of the other maps like it (plus it means that you can keep raining hell with LRMs for just a little long thanks to the cooler temperature) anyway I don't mind Alpine and I kinda don't understand why people hate it so much when most of the large maps a very similar to it.

#228 VectorStrike

• PipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 22 posts
  • LocationLisbon

Posted 09 August 2023 - 03:08 AM

Just happened today... Polar Highlands, Domination. My team had lights, the other team didn't. Our lights moved in and we got the victory without a single shot being taken. That map needs to be reduced in size, pronto!

#229 MarsThunder

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 237 posts
  • LocationRussia, Moscow

Posted 09 August 2023 - 04:57 AM

I really don't understand what is bad of Incursion when it is almost the same as Assault mode.

#230 feeWAIVER

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,724 posts

Posted 09 August 2023 - 06:29 AM

Alpine.
Kinda feels like we have a deluge of alt accounts crab walking into this thread to praise the worst map in Quickplay.
8%, almost 1 out of every 10 players think it's the best large map? Right... Highly suspect.

#231 Itsacon

• PipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 72 posts
  • LocationSector ZZ9 Plural Z Alpha

Posted 09 August 2023 - 06:59 AM

View PostfeeWAIVER, on 07 August 2023 - 05:51 AM, said:

When assaults start on the opposite sides of any large map, how it it any different in any other game mode?

On assault, you're not forced to go to that one tiny piece of the map. You can coordinate with your team and set up a defense in a spot that suits you. That can be right on top of your base, if you want. On domination, there is no choice, you have to run to the center, or you lose.

#232 udoshi

• PipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 21 posts

Posted 09 August 2023 - 11:09 AM

Some important feedback:

Solaris city NEEEEEEEEEEDS a texture optimization pass. Its the worst, laggiest large map and its just frame rate hell.
This is due to texture ****, so..... have a competent mapper fix the textures.
You also have some broken buildings with no roof on it, and if you try to get on top you fall through and get stuck inside. (Source: Me. I have a max jumpjet sensor spider).

Ceres metalworks is purple for me. AMD gpu. Maybe give it the same treatment the other maps that don't have that bug get.

Old Frozen City was sized for mechs before your ****** volumetric scaling oversized everything full of hot air. You need to upscale the buildings about 10-15-20% so that mechs can properly hide behind them again. They're all useless now because its the best map, but buildings were not scaled.
TOOK YOU LONG ENOUGH TO ADD IT BACK BTW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
!!!!!!

As a personal request, please bring more faction play maps to standard rotation. Vitric, etc are good fun.

Hot maps need a cbill bonus to incentive people taking them over cold maps. +20 or 30%, maybe a flat bounty for taking. Consider a cbill bouns on map selection for unpopular maps.
COld maps let you fire more, and thus you do more damage, and earn more cbills. Hot maps get you killed faster and make you do less damage, by virtue of firing guns less. Therefore, add money to compensate.

Unpopular opinion: Remove invasion and Skirmish, or force the enemy team to show up on map when down to just one. Nobody likes hunting the last light for minutes on end.

FINALLY, paul was a **** and overnerfed the map selection screen. Either allow blind pick OR mind changing, not both.
Here's how to fix it:
ADD a 'pass' option (so, six entries) thats just 'idk,+1 multiplier)
Let everyone see percentages BEFORE clicking
keep lock in.

TLDR
Upscale cover on frozen city old
remove alpine
Fix map voting to cbill+xp bouns to incentivize hot matches and/or unpopular maps, with bonus visible on map select screen
Fix map voting to allow visibile votes before clicking while locking in choices.
Texture optimization pass on solaris 7
Map fix pass on ceres.

Thats it.

Edited by udoshi, 09 August 2023 - 11:10 AM.

#233 Kozmik

• Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 09 August 2023 - 02:08 PM

I wish we had new modes other than "all mechs on one side are destroyed". Right now, only Conquest ends by actually reaching 750 with any regularity instead of ending when "all mechs on one side are destroyed". I wish that scoring and goals could be adjusted in more modes such that goals and scoring or objectives were actually the deciding factor in winning rather than "all mechs on one side are destroyed".

Updating modes in this way is more important to me than adding new maps.

Edited by Kozmik, 09 August 2023 - 02:11 PM.

#234 CSbrunton

• Pip
  • Shredder
  • 11 posts

Posted 09 August 2023 - 04:20 PM

Make objectives more worthwhile - m bills or freebies.
Shorten assault timer down
bring back mode choice
LESS SKIRMISH

OTHER wise love the game and still having fun. THANKS

#235 C337Skymaster

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 1,451 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 09 August 2023 - 05:56 PM

View PostfeeWAIVER, on 07 August 2023 - 05:51 AM, said:

When assaults start on the opposite sides of any large map, how it it any different in any other game mode?

Because in different game modes, the direction you're walking for 5 minutes can be decided upon, and varied, to attempt to place yourself and your team strategically to give you the best tactical advantage. In Domination, all of that player agency is completely eliminated, and you must follow the conga line to the pee stain, or else lose if you try to take an actually viable patch of land, vs the wasteland where they usually put the antenna.

View PostOnigato69, on 07 August 2023 - 10:19 AM, said:

Don't forget LRM locks drop at shutdown. You can break line of sight and shut down to keep avoid a LRM storm. Not sure how that works with NARC. It messes with TAG, but they can still dumb-fire with line of sight. It is a helpful trick for slow mechs before you have points to spend in Radar Dep.
I figured this out playing missile mechs when enemies shutdown due to heat and my ATM/LRM/Streak locks drop. Super annoying with Streaks due to the fact they can't dumb-fire.

Active Probe helps with that, if you're within range. One of the chief functions of Active Probe is enabling you to lock onto shut down 'mechs.

#236 LightInDarkness

Rookie

• Philanthropist
  • 1 posts

Posted 09 August 2023 - 07:42 PM

To be concise:
Make sniper-only maps viable for any range (yes-yes, alpine peaks! And grim plexus if you're feeling like it).
Make gamemodes matter (domination ends just like skirmish but without 1 guy delaying everyone; assault is just skirmish, but enemy could have a lance that carries the game by capping; only conquest really matters as you can easily lose on points).

#237 FaIIenAngel

Rookie

• The 1 Percent
  • 5 posts

Posted 09 August 2023 - 11:26 PM

It's probably because I have a low end computer but the Free Worlds Colosseum is my least fav, just because no matter what I do to my settings my frame rate drops to single digits at times. Most of the time I'm just a bullet sponge. But only on that map.

#238 DR PREMO

Rookie

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 1 posts

Posted 10 August 2023 - 05:51 AM

In my opinion the only bad maps are the ones you are not prepared for. My mechs are configured for either short or long range. If I get dropped onto a map that is not suited to my mech well, I just need to adapt. If I am set up for long range then I will not be as effective up close, if I'm set up for close combat, I will need to close the distance and get in close to be effective.

Game mode and mech types also play a role in forming an opinion. If the game mode was Conquest and I had a light mech on a large map it would be to my advantage. However, if I were in an Assault I would not be as effective as I would be too slow to run around and capture.

I am happy that we at least get to choose a map and mode. I feel that all have their own advantages and disadvantages according to a player's play style. My only gripe is that on Caustic Valley in Domination you can't see where the Domination circle is!

What I would like to see are changing landscapes.
For example: On maps with large number of trees, if you could set the trees on fire with a flamer; depending on the size of the tree would determine the intensity, burn time and spread ability. Smoke would obscure vision. Once the trees have burnt out the space would be clear with just tree ashes. Mechs that are caught in the flames will suffer heat accumulation.

Another example: Similar to the walls in Incursion game mode destructible landscapes. With enough damage being able to collapse cave openings or bridges. Of course, it would need to be significant amount of damage. Thinking like defending or destroying a Hydroelectric dam of a powerplant. Or maybe a map where there are walled obstacles similar to a maze where destroying it can either open a way or create an obstacle due to the rubble.

Day or Night versions for all maps. Players would need to adapt to different light conditions. I think it would be harder for Snipers at night since it would be harder to see targets at range.

Just my two credits...

#239 C337Skymaster

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 1,451 posts
  • LocationNew England

Posted 10 August 2023 - 06:56 AM

View PostDR PREMO, on 10 August 2023 - 05:51 AM, said:

In my opinion the only bad maps are the ones you are not prepared for. My mechs are configured for either short or long range. If I get dropped onto a map that is not suited to my mech well, I just need to adapt. If I am set up for long range then I will not be as effective up close, if I'm set up for close combat, I will need to close the distance and get in close to be effective.

Game mode and mech types also play a role in forming an opinion. If the game mode was Conquest and I had a light mech on a large map it would be to my advantage. However, if I were in an Assault I would not be as effective as I would be too slow to run around and capture.

I am happy that we at least get to choose a map and mode. I feel that all have their own advantages and disadvantages according to a player's play style. My only gripe is that on Caustic Valley in Domination you can't see where the Domination circle is!

What I would like to see are changing landscapes.
For example: On maps with large number of trees, if you could set the trees on fire with a flamer; depending on the size of the tree would determine the intensity, burn time and spread ability. Smoke would obscure vision. Once the trees have burnt out the space would be clear with just tree ashes. Mechs that are caught in the flames will suffer heat accumulation.

Another example: Similar to the walls in Incursion game mode destructible landscapes. With enough damage being able to collapse cave openings or bridges. Of course, it would need to be significant amount of damage. Thinking like defending or destroying a Hydroelectric dam of a powerplant. Or maybe a map where there are walled obstacles similar to a maze where destroying it can either open a way or create an obstacle due to the rubble.

Day or Night versions for all maps. Players would need to adapt to different light conditions. I think it would be harder for Snipers at night since it would be harder to see targets at range.

Just my two credits...

1000% this.

#240 Mal Bolge

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 104 posts

Posted 10 August 2023 - 12:05 PM

I would have liked the new Ceres map if it wasn't so dark. The fact that you can't see the terrain or the enemies ruins it for me. Hope the update gives it some light so we can see where we are going at what we're shooting at.

14 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 14 guests, 0 anonymous users